Municipal vs RCMP

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JaneDoe
Rookie Member

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby JaneDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:43 pm

golfdude wrote:
Where are you getting all your information? Based on your last two posts you have no clue what you are talking about. Why even bother replying?

Actually when I responded to the post I believed the information to be correct or else I wouldn't have posted it. I wasn't aware that there was another location referred to as Depot, it was a misunderstanding on my part and I realized that when Pete Broccolo posted his reply.

VanB wrote:With all due respect, who exactly are you that you are in a position to comment on the differences between working for the RCMP/VPD/OPP or any other police agency? You haven't done the job in order to be able to even say what it's like to work for one of them, let alone compare them. Beyond that, you seem to have been posting quite a few items that you really aren't in a position to have an informed outlook on, but seem to be trying to come across as a sort of authority or something. Attending a recruiting session and going on a few ride alongs doesn't really make you an expert. If it did then I would be a master chef after watching a few episodes of Iron Chef and Hell's Kitchen.

I just don't understand how people who are in the application process seem to think that they are somehow qualified to know/inform others of how things are in the policing world, and also how the other applicants are so willing to listen and accept what they are saying.

I'm sorry if you feel that I am overstepping my bounds by replying, I didn't think what I wrote was anything more than a side note. I am definitely not intending to come across as an authority on anything, I was simply repeating information that I was told in conversations with members of RCMP/VPD/OPP and trying to be helpful. I will refrain in future and again I am sorry that it came across the way it did.

JaneDoe
Rookie Member

Postby JaneDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:17 pm

No I don't feel you're picking on me, I completely agree that posting misinformation won't help anyone and I now know that I should be more careful with how I write a post. Honestly, how else would I have found out that it wasn't correct information? I am not in the habit of repeating or saying things that I am not sure are correct, the sources were trusted and I didn't put much thought into it not being accurate.
Lesson learned! :)

JaneDoe
Rookie Member

Postby JaneDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Yes lessons! Absolutely. Duly noted

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:59 pm

VanB wrote:
JaneDoe wrote:No I don't feel you're picking on me, I completely agree that posting misinformation won't help anyone and I now know that I should be more careful with how I write a post. Honestly, how else would I have found out that it wasn't correct information? I am not in the habit of repeating or saying things that I am not sure are correct, the sources were trusted and I didn't put much thought into it not being accurate.
Lesson learned! :)

Lesson(s).

1) Your trusted sources aren't as trustworthy as you thought. When I get information from a source I usually have to verify it as accurate before I put it in a report. You didn't and ended up with unreliable information.

2) Write things in more concise manner, or better yet, don't write them unless you know what you're talking about.

This guy is going places. Someone promote him to a moderator already
**CBSA Officer**

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:01 am

JaneDoe wrote:I think one of the main differences between VPD and RCMP, is that VPD members don't do anywhere near as much paper work as an RCMP member would. They just take detailed notes and if they can't write it off in a synopsis it gets sent to a unit, who then does all the paper work for it. I'm not sure if all municipal forces are this way? I know the OPP works this way too.

Really? Cool! Must be a different OPP though, because the one I work for doesn't function anything remotely like what you described.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Mongo wrote:
JaneDoe wrote:I think one of the main differences between VPD and RCMP, is that VPD members don't do anywhere near as much paper work as an RCMP member would. They just take detailed notes and if they can't write it off in a synopsis it gets sent to a unit, who then does all the paper work for it. I'm not sure if all municipal forces are this way? I know the OPP works this way too.

Really? Cool! Must be a different OPP though, because the one I work for doesn't function anything remotely like what you described.

But she KNOWS the OPP works this way. Therefore you are wrong.

It's disappointing to see someone who is sworn to uphold the law treat an applicant this way.

I came to this website expecting professionalism.

Jerk.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Gard wrote:
Mongo wrote:

But she KNOWS the OPP works this way. Therefore you are wrong.

It's disappointing to see someone who is sworn to uphold the law treat an applicant this way.

Jerk.

I was born in a hospital, ergo, therefore et cetera, I be doctor; jerky quirkiness thrown in, gratis.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:38 am

VanB wrote:
Gard wrote:But she KNOWS the OPP works this way. Therefore you are wrong.

Jerk.

This sounds familiar. Have we met?

Maybe, but it doesn't matter.

Aren't you tired of the all rederick?
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

BornToBe
Rookie Member

Postby BornToBe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:10 am

I've decided to apply to the RCMP for two key reasons:

You get to travel all over Canada (if you want to), and work in a variety of different sectors. (K9, ERT, Marine Services, Forensics, etc.). So, the variety really doesn't end. (I know it takes a while to be able to have all this variety, but still, it's there).

I couldn't imagine working in the same place, seeing the same things, my entire career... I'm one of those people that love change and traveling. :)

ArcticCop
King Poobah

Postby ArcticCop » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:49 pm

BornToBe wrote:I've decided to apply to the RCMP for two key reasons:

You get to travel all over Canada (if you want to), and work in a variety of different sectors. (K9, ERT, Marine Services, Forensics, etc.). So, the variety really doesn't end. (I know it takes a while to be able to have all this variety, but still, it's there).

I couldn't imagine working in the same place, seeing the same things, my entire career... I'm one of those people that love change and traveling. :)

LOL!

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

It's true, no municipal service has any of those units.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.