Municipal vs RCMP

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
chris2919
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 pm
Contact:

Municipal vs RCMP

Postby chris2919 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 pm

There was a topic a long time ago about this that I found but the poster seemed to be too immature to get any real help... Anyway, I'm currently 20 going into my 3rd year at UBC and am considering a career in law enforcement after completing my degree (even though it has nothing to do with police work). Specifically, I would like to eventually end up in the canine unit, although I assume I would have to be an officer for at least a good 4 years before applying for that. I know both the RCMP and municipal police forces I would consider have canine units, but the odds of getting into them will probably affect my decision in a major way. So, I was wondering what the pros and cons are of municipal policing (VPD or West Vancouver PD) vs the RCMP. Of course there is the obvious stuff, like you don't choose where you are for the RCMP, and if I wanted to work in the lower mainland with them I would have to wait years and years. Excluding that, what am I going to be looking at? And if anyone has any specifics on the VPD vs West Vancouver PD that would also be great. Thanks very much for your time.

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby gotchya » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:41 pm

chris2919 wrote:There was a topic a long time ago about this that I found but the poster seemed to be too immature to get any real help... Anyway, I'm currently 20 going into my 3rd year at UBC and am considering a career in law enforcement after completing my degree (even though it has nothing to do with police work). Specifically, I would like to eventually end up in the canine unit, although I assume I would have to be an officer for at least a good 4 years before applying for that. I know both the RCMP and municipal police forces I would consider have canine units, but the odds of getting into them will probably affect my decision in a major way. So, I was wondering what the pros and cons are of municipal policing (VPD or West Vancouver PD) vs the RCMP. Of course there is the obvious stuff, like you don't choose where you are for the RCMP, and if I wanted to work in the lower mainland with them I would have to wait years and years. Excluding that, what am I going to be looking at? And if anyone has any specifics on the VPD vs West Vancouver PD that would also be great. Thanks very much for your time.

Given the current budgetary constraints, go with who's hiring.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

chris2919
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby chris2919 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 pm

gotchya wrote:
chris2919 wrote:There was a topic a long time ago about this that I found but the poster seemed to be too immature to get any real help... Anyway, I'm currently 20 going into my 3rd year at UBC and am considering a career in law enforcement after completing my degree (even though it has nothing to do with police work). Specifically, I would like to eventually end up in the canine unit, although I assume I would have to be an officer for at least a good 4 years before applying for that. I know both the RCMP and municipal police forces I would consider have canine units, but the odds of getting into them will probably affect my decision in a major way. So, I was wondering what the pros and cons are of municipal policing (VPD or West Vancouver PD) vs the RCMP. Of course there is the obvious stuff, like you don't choose where you are for the RCMP, and if I wanted to work in the lower mainland with them I would have to wait years and years. Excluding that, what am I going to be looking at? And if anyone has any specifics on the VPD vs West Vancouver PD that would also be great. Thanks very much for your time.

Given the current budgetary constraints, go with who's hiring.


I'm planning to finish my degree at UBC before, so it will be another two years before I would plan to start training. Also, rather than choose the wrong force I would much rather wait until the correct one for me is eventually hiring.

Jim Street
King Poobah
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Basing your application on who has more K9 positions is silly.

How do you even know you'll like driving around with one of those land sharks? Nevermind the committment to them?

Do everyone a favour and learn how to take calls, do some investigating and talk to people.

But first, maybe apply.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

User avatar
Toonces
King Poobah
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Toonces » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:25 am

Many services it would be completely unheard of to become a canine officer in just 4 years. The list to become a canine officer in my office is long and distinguished - the waiting list has extremely hard-working, well-though-of officers with 8 years on PLUS ERT experience.

4 years is extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

User avatar
Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: My work queue
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am

A lot of municipal agencies pay their Members to go on extra training to be dog handlers. The RCMP expects you to show up on your days off and raise pups for them on your own time.

JaneDoe
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby JaneDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am

I think one of the main differences between VPD and RCMP, is that VPD members don't do anywhere near as much paper work as an RCMP member would. They just take detailed notes and if they can't write it off in a synopsis it gets sent to a unit, who then does all the paper work for it. I'm not sure if all municipal forces are this way? I know the OPP works this way too.

Being a dog guy is a privileged position, a lot of time and money go into training the member and the dog so it only goes to the most deserving, after quite a while on the road learning the ropes etc.

JaneDoe
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby JaneDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:31 am

Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:A lot of municipal agencies pay their Members to go on extra training to be dog handlers. The RCMP expects you to show up on your days off and raise pups for them on your own time.


The RCMP sends you back to depot for another 6 months while you train to be a dog guy...

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 am

Finish your degree, or not, before applying.

Apply to ALL Services / Forces you might be interested in.

Jump at the first one that says, "Come on down".

Study hard and do what you are told.

Pick your battles, for both topic and timing.

See where your career leads you.

Whine, and we will dump on you like the manure cart in "Back to the Future".

Union or Association:
- RCMP: not currently, possibly soon, who knows;
- any Municipal PS anywhere: yes

Allowed to remain living where you are now:
- RCMP: given you are in "E" Division, maybe, if you get the LMD, but there is a LOT of Interior postings. That, or you MAY be the one that the "bayman" in your troop kills when you get St John's and he gets your Mom's postal code;
- any BC Municipal PS: "Your shift starts at 07:00 - be on time for the briefing, in full uniform, and try to stay awake; otherwise, what do we care?"

I paraphrased, somewhat like the bad guy from "Mall Cop", but you get the picture. Decide.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: My work queue
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am

JaneDoe wrote:
Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:A lot of municipal agencies pay their Members to go on extra training to be dog handlers. The RCMP expects you to show up on your days off and raise pups for them on your own time.


The RCMP sends you back to depot for another 6 months while you train to be a dog guy...


That's AFTER you get selected for the course. Which can be after several years of running around with the dog guys on your own time.

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 am

Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:
JaneDoe wrote:
Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:A lot of municipal agencies pay their Members to go on extra training to be dog handlers. The RCMP expects you to show up on your days off and raise pups for them on your own time.


The RCMP sends you back to depot for another 6 months while you train to be a dog guy...


That's AFTER you get selected for the course. Which can be after several years of running around with the dog guys on your own time.

Well, Innisfail currently, and POSSIBLY Depot - from what I have heard; DepotWeb: you are invited to correct or confirm, as the case may be (PS: I am thinking my hair now is ALMOST as long as yours!)
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

JaneDoe
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby JaneDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:
That's AFTER you get selected for the course. Which can be after several years of running around with the dog guys on your own time.


Yep that is true, I just wasn't sure what you meant by 'on your own time'.

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Well, Innisfail currently, and POSSIBLY Depot - from what I have heard; DepotWeb: you are invited to correct or confirm, as the case may be (PS: I am thinking my hair now is ALMOST as long as yours!)


Oh ok, Depot is just what I'd heard but yea Depot Web would be the best guy to ask.

User avatar
Depot Web
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby Depot Web » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:
JaneDoe wrote:The RCMP sends you back to depot for another 6 months while you train to be a dog guy...

That's AFTER you get selected for the course. Which can be after several years of running around with the dog guys on your own time.

Well, Innisfail currently, and POSSIBLY Depot - from what I have heard; DepotWeb: you are invited to correct or confirm, as the case may be (PS: I am thinking my hair now is ALMOST as long as yours!)

The Police Dog Service Training Centre (PDSTC) in Innisfail, Alberta is part of "Depot" Division, so while they do send you to "Depot", they don't send you back to the RCMP Academy in Regina.

Members who want to join RCMP Police Dog Services must have at least five years of experience where they have demonstrated high quality investigative skills and an ability to work independently. After a recommendation from a handler, the member can apply for the Imprinting/Quarrying course, and if they are accepted and pass, they are given a potential police dog to take home and imprint. If everything goes well and the member shows compatibility with the animal, the next step is a five-month training course at PDSTC, "Depot" Division. Potential handlers must also pass the "Dog PARE", a nine-minute physical evaluation specifically designed for dog handlers.

There are very few positions and many people apply to competition is fierce. The patience you learned when applying to the RCMP will come in handy when applying to PDS.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

golfdude
Veteran Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:43 am
Location: H div
Contact:

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby golfdude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 pm

JaneDoe wrote:
Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:A lot of municipal agencies pay their Members to go on extra training to be dog handlers. The RCMP expects you to show up on your days off and raise pups for them on your own time.


The RCMP sends you back to depot for another 6 months while you train to be a dog guy...



Where are you getting all your information? Based on your last two posts you have no clue what you are talking about. Why even bother replying?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], redemptionmaster, sam89, ummarhamid and 12 guests