Canadian Pacific Police Service 2012 intake

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TripleChev

Re: Canadian Pacific Police Service 2012 intake

Postby TripleChev » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 am

Anyone with info on next recruiting?

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:36 pm

mto823 wrote:Anyone with info on next recruiting?

Yep. Never.

TwistedRail
Rookie Member

Postby TwistedRail » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Closing shop? That would be unfortunate.

Myself, I have re-evaluated my previous position that I wanted to be in law enforcement. I've certainly had a lot of time to think about it waiting for CPPS. I decided the best place for me was back on the engine. Back on the train crews starting in July - hopefully in Jasper.

Thanks to all for your help, either directly or indirectly through posts or PMs on this site!

Stay safe out there!
Former CP and CN Conductor, attempting to join the railway police services.

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 pm

[quote="TwistedRail"]Closing shop? That would be unfortunate.

I never said that.

There will be no hiring for the foreseeable future and I suspect it won't be until 2015, if that. Things are pretty bleak right now and staffing is desperate. I'm sure a hire of about 50+ would help bring things back to normalcy but that isn't going to happen.

In other words, look elsewhere.

Blunt but true.

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 pm

CrossfitCop wrote:CPPS as it exists now will be over shortly. There will therefore be no need to recruit police officers- security guards with special constable status will do just fine.

It's over. As Xmber said...look elsewhere. (Many, many insiders are actively looking elsewhere too.)

Any one with an inside look at CN Rail Police? Are they facing the same sort of situation?

skHTP

Postby skHTP » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Cpps closing shop is news to me. Funny because that is exactly the opposite of what we have been told by everyone inspector up. Cpps is exactly the same as it was when I joined two years ago. Will there be changes, maybe but no one knows if/ when it will happen.

These are opinions. I'm not sticking up for the service. ... But to say it is done is based on nothing but a guess

Rookie Member

Postby 24208 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Just like skHTP said..........as a current and happy member of CPPS, I too have heard NOTHING concrete about ANY changes good or bad. Right now it is ALL RUMORS. Way too many RUMORS that maybe people should keep to themselves. (as in STFU) Especially in a PUBLIC FORUM that can read by anyone.

Remain professional, whether you like the job or not.

Yes, CP is currently hiring a new VP for Law and Risk Management that will review and oversee the police department. Yes, there will be changes. But no one knows what those changes will be. And who knows, MAYBE they will be good changes.

As CPPS sits RIGHT NOW this second......I love being a railway cop. Yes, it is totally different than traditional policing, but it is still policing. The amount of freedom you get...........no supervisor looking directly over your shoulder, totally left alone, low call volume, not tied to the radio, paid lunch when you leave town to patrol for the day, your choice to patrol for the day or write tickets for the day or do whatever for the day. Right now......It is a great job, great pay and great equipment. Maybe I will post different in a few months, maybe not. But right now it’s great.

Policing is stressful enough without adding other stresses such as negative RUMORS :banghead:

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 pm

Just like skHTP said..........as a current and happy member of CPPS, I too have heard NOTHING concrete about ANY changes good or bad. Right now it is ALL RUMORS. Way too many RUMORS that maybe people should keep to themselves. (as in STFU) Especially in a PUBLIC FORUM that can read by anyone.

Remain professional, whether you like the job or not.

Yes, CP is currently hiring a new VP for Law and Risk Management that will review and oversee the police department. Yes, there will be changes. But no one knows what those changes will be. And who knows, MAYBE they will be good changes.

As CPPS sits RIGHT NOW this second......I love being a railway cop. Yes, it is totally different than traditional policing, but it is still policing. The amount of freedom you get...........no supervisor looking directly over your shoulder, totally left alone, low call volume, not tied to the radio, paid lunch when you leave town to patrol for the day, your choice to patrol for the day or write tickets for the day or do whatever for the day. Right now......It is a great job, great pay and great equipment. Maybe I will post different in a few months, maybe not. But right now it’s great.

Policing is stressful enough without adding other stresses such as negative RUMORS :banghead:[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:06 am

edit

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Transit security is a good job

former mleo
Rookie Member

Postby former mleo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:43 pm

Any news on possible recruitment in the near future?

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:53 pm

former mleo wrote:Any news on possible recruitment in the near future?

Nothing for new recruits. They have been hiring 1-2 laterals at a time to fill vacancies in various locations across Canada.
Police Constable

YYJ
Rookie Member

Postby YYJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:53 pm

I'd be curious - are most of the laterals retired out of other agencies? I'm not sure about pay scales across the country but with the pay rates in BC for municipal agencies, assuming I've read the correct CP / CN pay rates, the reduction in wage would be significant.

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:46 pm

YYJ wrote:I'd be curious - are most of the laterals retired out of other agencies? I'm not sure about pay scales across the country but with the pay rates in BC for municipal agencies, assuming I've read the correct CP / CN pay rates, the reduction in wage would be significant.

The laterals are a mix of both retired members or current serving members. Lately the majority have been current serving members. Lateral members start at a high rate of pay and vacation time based on their experience. I disagree that they are taking any significant pay cut. It most cases they are increasing their salary. I'm not going to through out any specific numbers on a public forum but they are very competitive.
Police Constable

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Edit
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"