Aspiring Police officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RyGuy009
Rookie Member

Aspiring Police officer

Postby RyGuy009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Hey Guys

I'm new to these forums; only stumbled across it yesterday in a Google search an am glad there are Canadian police forums. I'd like to share my story and also my dream of becoming a police officer (ultimately in Calgary) so I hope that you will take the time to read this and provide me with some feedback or otherwise words of wisdom and encouragement.

Like I said, my ultimate goal is to be apart of the CPS (I have dreams within a law enforcement career, such as patrol constable in the district I grew up in, traffic section sergeant, and be apart of the Tac Team, but let's just take this one step at a time!).

Allow me to introduce myself. My name in Ryan, and I am currently 21 years young. I grew up in Calgary and I love that city. Upon graduating high school in 2008, I moved to Lethbridge AB and am currently attending the University of Lethbridge and just completed my second year of studies (as of today). I am doing an undergraduate degree in Arts and Science with a double major in Sociology and Political Science. I plan to graduate university in 2013.

I believe I will be a very strong candidate when I apply but there are some issues that still haunt me to this day, but before I get into that, I'll tell you a little bit about what I've been doing with my life. I'm in the mindset of knowing that no one is perfect and we all have skeletons in our closet (words from an RCMP recruiter I talked to a few years back).

In Jr. high, I discovered my passion of aviation. When I was 14, I enrolled in flight school out at Springbank airport, soloed (flew a plane by myself for the first time) by the time I was 15, and obtained my Private Pilots License when I was 17. After getting my PPL, I started to get my night rating (unfortunately did not finish due to financial issues). To date, I have about 110 hours behind the stick. The sad part is that as of this August, it will be three years since I have last took the controls of a Cessna (I miss it dearly!!). This is because I went to Mount Royal College (at the time) to upgrade my high school marks to get into uni, so this meant I needed to start paying for other things (cell phone, car etc). And now I’m living on my own in a different city. Priorities, man.

During grade school, I was never a straight A student. I always just 'slide by'. Because of this, I went to MRC to upgrade my marks and then got accepted to the UofL. And now I am proud to say I’m half way done my double major undergrad degree.

During high school, I worked a part time (sometime full time) job in a restaurant. I first started setting tables when I was 16 years old. I had a lot of fun working in the FOH (front of house), sometimes too much fun. When you sister is a manager and all her friends are the bartenders, well then, I'm sure you can paint the rest of that picture. So yes, I did indulge in under aged on-the-job drinking of alcoholic beverages. After about a year of setting tables, I wanted change. I decided to go to the kitchen because I had no interest in serving. So they stuck me in the dish-pit for about 11 months. So I quit because they told me that I was only going to be washing dishes for one day. After missing working there, I got my job back, and they put me on the cooking line, which is where I wanted to be. I worked there for approx. 2.5 years total and moved through the 'ranks', if you will. I was a broiler cook and they promoted me to closing coach. As a closing coach, I was responsible for a perfect closing of the kitchen for when the day team would come in. Everything had to be cleaned and stocked, and I was responsible for the whole kitchen. If something weren’t done, it would come back to me the next day. Working in a kitchen was a very stressful environment during peak hours. I never really screwed anything up, got lots of steak compliments, and I was all around known by the other staff members and even regular customers for my hard work. I quit that scene a total of three times, so I started and left Earls a total of three times (can’t recall why I quit the second time, I think it was because of grade 12 diplomas).

After attending MRC and getting my marks up then got accepted into UofL, I worked at the stampede in 2008 in another restaurant. I was awarded for punctuality and hard work, and was invited to come back for 2009 Stampede, which I did not.

In February 2009, I was sworn into the Canadian Forces as an Army reservist. I went away for my Basic Military Qualification in the summer of 2009. Then moved to Lethbridge for school for my first year, then the next summer (2010) I did taskings down in Suffield and then my trades training in Edmonton and Wainwright. As of right now, I’ve been with the Forces for almost 2.5 years and hold the rank of Corporal. I am eager to deploy, so I put in a memo in 2010 at Christmas time to go to Afghanistan, but that ultimately fell through because I figured I should finish school and obtain more experience being a soldier. This summer (2011) will be the third summer in a row of my signing my life away to the army. I do not see myself holding another civilian job for the rest of my life.

I do also have volunteer experience. I volunteered with the Calgary Stampede Board and helped The Young Canadians and was a spotlight operator 2006 and 2007 Christmas Shows. I volunteered at the Alberta International Airshow in 2008 and was a night security guard. In grade 12, I was apart of a mission’s trip with my grade 12 class. In April 2008, we went to Tactic Guatemala for our mission. We did a lot of children’s ministries, humanitarian aid, and was able to meet my sponsored child. That was a great experience!! As a kid, I helped my dad with outdoor hockey rink maintenance (cleaning and flooding), and did this for many seasons. I also plan on volunteer with the Student Union here at UofL in the remaining years of school. I also work at the cabaret parties on campus as security (pretty much bus the tables and throw out the drunks and the fighters). Yes, I get paid, but I do this more for a resume builder instead of money. And besides, it’s only once per month and is barley a tank of gas each time.

And now some shenanigans I have gotten into in past years. I used to download a lot of music without paying for it. But ever since I knew I wanted to pursue a career in LE, I stopped doing that. I have been buying all my music and movies off of iTunes for about two years now. Next up, the last time out of 3 times I smoked the dope is going to be four years ago this summer. So no worries there. The only two things I am most worried about is impaired driving (I can justify this, but I know there is NO excuse for it, and it only occurred once and was only about 500 meters). The other thing I am worried about, and I don’t really know how serious it is, is I made a sexy time in public once. It was in an alley during the day in that back of my car. I know, super greasy and I’ve regretted it ever since, but I’m only human. Our little rendezvous happened three years ago this fall. Moreover I like to drink, party, have the occasional cigar/cigarette and have fun by going out with friends and going to metal concerts (floor tickets to Slayer this summer! \m/), but I am responsible about it. I’ve only ever gotten into a confrontation at the bar once (when push leads to shove when leads to getting punched in the face) when I got sacked in the mouth and got kicked out. That was one 13 months ago. Again, learned my lesson about it and now I know now to get evolved with shit in a bar, especially in an unfamiliar city. I’ve learned my lesson from my past mistakes, and only make that mistake once.

So if you’re still reading, here is my 4-year plan. I want to finish university and graduate with my degree. Then after that, I want to work full time with the military for about a year. I really want to deploy overseas because I know it will be hard once I get married and (hopefully) in a LE career. I want to move into my own apartment and become 100% (financially) independent from my parents. After 12 months or so while on Class B with the military, apply to CPS. By the time I apply, I will be about 25 years old, pretty close to the average age of new cops (correct me if I’ve wrong). I also want to do re-currency training on my pilot’s license.
One point I’d like to add is that I have a perfect driving record. I have two parking tickets, but no accidents/radar tickets/speeding tickets etc. I’ve never even been as much as pulled over before. This is something I am also proud of because of my gender and age and I drive a big red truck. Feels good to go against the stereotype. But yeah, I pay a lot for insurance per year!

Because of some shit I did in high school, I am worried of getting the deferral letter. One question is, should I apply to CPS right after graduating so incase if I do get deferred, I can still carry through with my plan of working 12 month with the military? I don’t want to come back after working this long and going to school for four years just to put it off for another year or so. But what if they call me on my bluff, and I make it through, then I won’t be able to go away for the year of work and go straight into recruit class. Comments?
I’ve been on a ride along with CPS as well as Lethbridge Regional Police Service, and I know that I want to work in Calgary. Calgary is home for me and it always will be. I have (currently) no desire to work anywhere else.

Few points I’d like to highlight to keep myself competitive for when I apply:
• Pilots license
• University degree
• Volunteer experience
• Mission trip to Guatemala
• Military service

Thank you SO much for reading this. As you can tell, I have been giving it a lot of thought because I know its 100% what I want to do. I would very much appreciate your input/feedback/tips/advice/all around words of wisdom of what I can do for myself to get me behind the wheel of a police car one day. I don’t want to get over confident, even though my parents and other friends say that for me, it’s going to be a foot in the door.

If some of you are on Twitter, give me a follow and a mention! @RyGuy009

Many thanks,

Ryan
Last edited by RyGuy009 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Re: Aspiring Police officer

Postby meathead1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 pm

RyGuy009 wrote:Hey Guys

I'm new to these forums; only stumbled across it yesterday in a Google search an am glad there are Canadian police forums. I'd like to share my story and also my dream of becoming a police officer (ultimately in Calgary) so I hope that you will take the time to read this and provide me with some feedback or otherwise words of wisdom and encouragement.

Like I said, my ultimate goal is to be apart of the CPS (I have dreams within a law enforcement career, such as patrol constable in the district I grew up in, traffic section sergeant, and be apart of the Tac Team, but let's just take this one step at a time!).

Allow me to introduce myself. My name in Ryan, and I am currently 21 years young. I grew up in Calgary and I love that city. Upon graduating high school in 2008, I moved to Lethbridge AB and am currently attending the University of Lethbridge and just completed my second year of studies (as of today). I am doing an undergraduate degree in Arts and Science with a double major in Sociology and Political Science. I plan to graduate university in 2013.

I believe I will be a very strong candidate when I apply but there are some issues that still haunt me to this day, but before I get into that, I'll tell you a little bit about what I've been doing with my life. I'm in the mindset of knowing that no one is perfect and we all have skeletons in our closet (words from an RCMP recruiter I talked to a few years back).

In Jr. high, I discovered my passion of aviation. When I was 14, I enrolled in flight school out at Springbank airport, soloed (flew a plane by myself for the first time) by the time I was 15, and obtained my Private Pilots License when I was 17. After getting my PPL, I started to get my night rating (unfortunately did not finish due to financial issues). To date, I have about 110 hours behind the stick. The sad part is that as of this August, it will be three years since I have last took the controls of a Cessna (I miss it dearly!!). This is because I went to Mount Royal College (at the time) to upgrade my high school marks to get into uni, so this meant I needed to start paying for other things (cell phone, car etc). And now I’m living on my own in a different city. Priorities, man.

During grade school, I was never a straight A student. I always just 'slide by'. Because of this, I went to MRC to upgrade my marks and then got accepted to the UofL. And now I am proud to say I’m half way done my double major undergrad degree.

During high school, I worked a part time (sometime full time) job in a restaurant. I first started setting tables when I was 16 years old. I had a lot of fun working in the FOH (front of house), sometimes too much fun. When you sister is a manager and all her friends are the bartenders, well then, I'm sure you can paint the rest of that picture. So yes, I did indulge in under aged on-the-job drinking of alcoholic beverages. After about a year of setting tables, I wanted change. I decided to go to the kitchen because I had no interest in serving. So they stuck me in the dish-pit for about 11 months. So I quit because they told me that I was only going to be washing dishes for one day. After missing working there, I got my job back, and they put me on the cooking line, which is where I wanted to be. I worked there for approx. 2.5 years total and moved through the 'ranks', if you will. I was a broiler cook and they promoted me to closing coach. As a closing coach, I was responsible for a perfect closing of the kitchen for when the day team would come in. Everything had to be cleaned and stocked, and I was responsible for the whole kitchen. If something weren’t done, it would come back to me the next day. Working in a kitchen was a very stressful environment during peak hours. I never really screwed anything up, got lots of steak compliments, and I was all around known by the other staff members and even regular customers for my hard work. I quit that scene a total of three times, so I started and left Earls a total of three times (can’t recall why I quit the second time, I think it was because of grade 12 diplomas).

After attending MRC and getting my marks up then got accepted into UofL, I worked at the stampede in 2008 in another restaurant. I was awarded for punctuality and hard work, and was invited to come back for 2009 Stampede, which I did not.

In February 2009, I was sworn into the Canadian Forces as an Army reservist. I went away for my Basic Military Qualification in the summer of 2009. Then moved to Lethbridge for school for my first year, then the next summer (2010) I did taskings down in Suffield and then my trades training in Edmonton and Wainwright. As of right now, I’ve been with the Forces for almost 2.5 years and hold the rank of Corporal. I am eager to deploy, so I put in a memo in 2010 at Christmas time to go to Afghanistan, but that ultimately fell through because I figured I should finish school and obtain more experience being a soldier. This summer (2011) will be the third summer in a row of my signing my life away to the army. I do not see myself holding another civilian job for the rest of my life.

I do also have volunteer experience. I volunteered with the Calgary Stampede Board and helped The Young Canadians and was a spotlight operator 2006 and 2007 Christmas Shows. I volunteered at the Alberta International Airshow in 2008 and was a night security guard. In grade 12, I was apart of a mission’s trip with my grade 12 class. In April 2008, we went to Tactic Guatemala for our mission. We did a lot of children’s ministries, humanitarian aid, and was able to meet my sponsored child. That was a great experience!! As a kid, I helped my dad with outdoor hockey rink maintenance (cleaning and flooding), and did this for many seasons. I also plan on volunteer with the Student Union here at UofL in the remaining years of school. I also work at the cabaret parties on campus as security (pretty much bus the tables and throw out the drunks and the fighters). Yes, I get paid, but I do this more for a resume builder instead of money. And besides, it’s only once per month and is barley a tank of gas each time.

And now some shenanigans I have gotten into in past years. I used to download a lot of music without paying for it. But ever since I knew I wanted to pursue a career in LE, I stopped doing that. I have been buying all my music and movies off of iTunes for about two years now. Next up, the last time out of 3 times I smoked the dope is going to be four years ago this summer. So no worries there. The only two things I am most worried about is impaired driving (I can justify this, but I know there is NO excuse for it, and it only occurred once and was only about 500 meters). The other thing I am worried about, and I don’t really know how serious it is, is I made a sexy time in public once. It was in an alley during the day in that back of my car. I know, super greasy and I’ve regretted it ever since, but I’m only human. Our little rendezvous happened three years ago this fall. Moreover I like to drink, party, have the occasional cigar/cigarette and have fun by going out with friends and going to metal concerts (floor tickets to Slayer this summer! \m/), but I am responsible about it. I’ve only ever gotten into a confrontation at the bar once (when push leads to shove when leads to getting punched in the face) when I got sacked in the mouth and got kicked out. That was one 13 months ago. Again, learned my lesson about it and now I know now to get evolved with shit in a bar, especially in an unfamiliar city. I’ve learned my lesson from my past mistakes, and only make that mistake once.

So if you’re still reading, here is my 4-year plan. I want to finish university and graduate with my degree. Then after that, I want to work full time with the military for about a year. I really want to deploy overseas because I know it will be hard once I get married and (hopefully) in a LE career. I want to move into my own apartment and become 100% (financially) independent from my parents. After 12 months or so while on Class B with the military, apply to CPS. By the time I apply, I will be about 25 years old, pretty close to the average age of new cops (correct me if I’ve wrong). I also want to do re-currency training on my pilot’s license.
One point I’d like to add is that I have a perfect driving record. I have two parking tickets, but no accidents/radar tickets/speeding tickets etc. I’ve never even been as much as pulled over before. This is something I am also proud of because of my gender and age and I drive a big red truck. Feels good to go against the stereotype. But yeah, I pay a lot for insurance per year!

Because of some shit I did in high school, I am worried of getting the deferral letter. One question is, should I apply to CPS right after graduating so incase if I do get deferred, I can still carry through with my plan of working 12 month with the military? I don’t want to come back after working this long and going to school for four years just to put it off for another year or so. But what if they call me on my bluff, and I make it through, then I won’t be able to go away for the year of work and go straight into recruit class. Comments?
I’ve been on a ride along with CPS as well as Lethbridge Regional Police Service, and I know that I want to work in Calgary. Calgary is home for me and it always will be. I have (currently) no desire to work anywhere else.

Few points I’d like to highlight to keep myself competitive for when I apply:
• Pilots license
• University degree
• Volunteer experience
• Mission trip to Guatemala
• Military service

Thank you SO much for reading this. As you can tell, I have been giving it a lot of thought because I know its 100% what I want to do. I would very much appreciate your input/feedback/tips/advice/all around words of wisdom of what I can do for myself to get me behind the wheel of a police car one day. I don’t want to get over confident, even though my parents and other friends say that for me, it’s going to be a foot in the door.

If some of you are on Twitter, give me a follow and a mention! @RyGuy009

Many thanks, :bow:

Ryan

qouted for posterity.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 pm

meathead1 wrote:[quoted] for posterity.

To think I was going to recommend a retraction. Too bad.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Oh my........now that's some first post....

:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I was thinking, not bad, looks good, and then paragraph 11 came along...

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm

From Twitter:
RyGuy009 Ryan: A 2000 word forum post in a Canadian #Policing forum. Hope I get some replies!
1 hour ago

:twitch:
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Gee, can you tell the kids are out of school now and are trolling different forums.... :roll:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

RyGuy009
Rookie Member

Postby RyGuy009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:I was thinking, not bad, looks good, and then paragraph 11 came along...

Hahaha this is funny!

RyGuy009
Rookie Member

Postby RyGuy009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Guess there are trolls here!

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Cool shades, dude...

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:27 pm

RyGuy009 wrote:Guess there are trolls here!

Yeah... grab a mirror... :smirk:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

GoWings
Rookie Member

Postby GoWings » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 pm

VanB wrote:
RyGuy009 wrote:Guess there are trolls here!

The responses you get, while you may not necessarily like them, are hardly something that could be considered trolling.

No one on here owes you their guidance or support, whether they are a police officer or not. If anything the police officers on here are usually pretty wary of who they throw their support behind, considering that you might one day be the person sitting beside them in the car on the way to a life or death situation. Or the person who is on the stand for a critical investigation and who's integrity may be brought into question by the defence counsel. If you want someone who will support you unconditionally, call your mom, there aren't too many people on here who are cops and will tell you that you can overcome anything you want and follow your dreams, because believe it or not, there is someone like you asking the same questions you have in your post at least once a day.

This is true.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey Ryan, don't pay any attention to the haters on here. Most of them are disgruntled applicants who can't get hired. DON'T GIVE IN!

If you want, PM me some more details and I can help you out.

Talk to you soon!
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 pm

He's right man, I write my ATS testing for the 11th time next week but it'll all be worth the sacrifice the day I don the blues!!!

NEVER GIVE UP ON DREAMZ!!!!!
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?