**Alberta Correctional Services - HIRING**

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
djwilliams
Rookie Member

Re: **Alberta Correctional Services - HIRING**

Postby djwilliams » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:48 am

Thanks for the reply. I didn't receive an offer letter yet. It was a phone call with hr, and they said they had me scheduled for a 5 day orientation for Jan 12. That's all she could really tell me an they wont know more until after the new year.

What should I expect at this point? She did tell me that nothing has gone forward with the process because of the freeze. I hope it's not tossed out all together, as I really did my best. What are your thoughts on this?

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:29 am

If the orientation is still on, then go to it. The job offer is signed at orientation.

There is not much thought that can go into it... we are on a hiring freeze. How long will it last? who knows (we don't, HR doesnt, training CPO III doesnt, anything you hear is prolly just speculation). what does it mean? we are on a hiring freeze. Will HR contact you once the freeze has been lifted? yup, that is part of their job.

Just hang tight. The centre is loosing staff just as quick as they are gaining it. If staffing falls below the proper compliment of staff and over time becomes available again, then the GOA will quickly approve new hires to avoid paying out OT.

Aside from that: pay attention at the orientation, when you get hired pay attention to senior COs and learn your job.

Best advice I got ;)

djwilliams
Rookie Member

Postby djwilliams » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:37 am

This is all good info . Thanks guys. :D Why such high turnover ?? This must be frustrating for the other CO'S tthat have been there for a while. My goal is to make this my career I retire with, so I have to make this count .

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm

turn over is because corrections isnt for everyone.

Some just dont work out, some dont like the job and some use it as a stepping stone.

djwilliams
Rookie Member

Postby djwilliams » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Good to know. Any other tips? I want to make this count

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:51 pm

djwilliams wrote:Good to know. Any other tips? I want to make this count

Basically just repeating what has already been said; paying attention in orientation, showing a lot of interest, learning from senior officers and asking questions will be a good starting point. Nothing irritates staff more than a know-it-all recruit. Do not start comparing yourself to their experience and decide you have more under your belt. You will start undermining them and will be shunned. Trust me, it has happened.

You will most likely be assigned in a unit with a partner. He/she is your lifeline and you are theirs. When they are on the floor, you do not look at the computer screen, read something, or get distracted by inmates asking you questions. Your partner has your complete attention until they return. I got into a verbal disagreement with an inmate and instructed him to lock up. He refused and started walking towards me in a threatening manner. I looked at my partner and he was completely lost on whatever was on the computer screen. That was the end of our working relationship.

Show up on time to relieve officers from duty. Once muster is over, double time it to your assigned unit. You will know the value of it once you are being relieved after a particularly exhausting day.

This is from my own personal experience. Do not heat up the unit by consistently enforcing rules with a heavy handed approach. You will learn the value of effective behaviour management with time. Yes, rule enforcement is important. But you are also keeping peace in the unit. It is a fine balance. You'll figure it out.

I wish you best of luck. Getting into orientation is a feat itself and you will most likely be offered a position on the last day. If you have any questions at all, you can always PM me.

djwilliams
Rookie Member

Postby djwilliams » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:37 am

Some great replies and valuable feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Can someone explain why they take a while to send COs to the training center for the academy portion.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 am

djwilliams wrote:Some great replies and valuable feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Can someone explain why they take a while to send COs to the training center for the academy portion.

They explain that in the orientation. Basically the need is too high to have staff on the floor and classes don't run back to back. I didn't see college until my 3rd month in and I was one of the quickist ones to be sent for training. You will be paired with a FTO who will monitor your progress and give you opportunities to learn by placing you in various units. That will probably happen for the first rotation (6 days) and then you will get a spot on more regular basis. You won't be able to carry OC or respond to codes until you graduate.

AB corrections is the only law enforcement job that allows you to work without any formal training I believe.

cyrex007
Rookie Member

Postby cyrex007 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:48 am

allbrancereal wrote:
AB corrections is the only law enforcement job that allows you to work without any formal training I believe.

Not true. You can be a summer student or a recruit without an appointment to work for CVEB.

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:38 am

cyrex007 wrote:
allbrancereal wrote:

Not true. You can be a summer student or a recruit without an appointment to work for CVEB.

Same can be said for CBSA student BSO's. Those are designated student positions. With Alberta Corrections, you are a full on Correctional Officer without any formal training and carry full authority as such. Does a CVEB recruit carry full authority without training or is it more of a job shadowing situation?

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 pm

allbrancereal wrote:
cyrex007 wrote:
allbrancereal wrote:

Same can be said for CBSA student BSO's. Those are designated student positions. With Alberta Corrections, you are a full on Correctional Officer without any formal training and carry full authority as such. Does a CVEB recruit carry full authority without training or is it more of a job shadowing situation?

I believe the CVE recruit would need their training completed and all other requirements to get their peace officer appointment to have their authorities. Where as in corrections you don't get a peace officer appointment so your able to work full duty without any training except carrying OC and such. CVE has auxiliaries too i believe, not sure how that works..
:wave:

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:59 am

Edmonton must be desperate since they are hiring again during the hiring freeze
CX

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Job Description

Job Title: Correctional Peace Officer 1-2
Job ID: 1028453
Scope: Open competition

Closing Date
March 2, 2015

Classification
Correctional Peace Officer 1-2

Ministry
Justice and Solicitor General

Role
Are you ready to make the move from job to career? Do you want to work in an environment with an opportunity for advancement, a place where you can make a difference, be a positive role model and play an integral role in Alberta's law enforcement community? If your answer is yes, we want to hear from you.

The Edmonton Remand Centre and Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre are currently recruiting Correctional Peace Officers to join their team.

As a Correctional Peace Officer, you ensure the safe care, custody and control of inmates as well as ensuring the safety of staff and the public. You will be responsible to directly supervise inmates, monitor inmate movements and interactions, conduct security rounds and patrols, maintain detailed unit logs and computerized unit and inmate case notes and records.

Well-developed interpersonal skills, self-confidence and professional conduct are essential to this position. You must have the ability to function positively and productively in a team environment. Proven skills in the areas of verbal and written communication, along with basic computer skills are necessary. Proven leadership, conflict management skills and flexibility to adjust to a variety of work areas will ensure your success in this role.

Qualifications
Completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree or High School Diploma plus two years of related experience. Experience in security, emergency response, etc. is preferred. Supervisory, management or leadership experience in an industrial/technical or labour environment may be considered as an equivalency.

Salary
$1,913.35 - $2,346.45 bi-weekly

Notes
* Successful candidates will be guaranteed full-time hours and will be assigned to work at either the Edmonton Remand Centre or the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre. Assignment duration and work location will vary based on the operational requirements of the Centres. Candidates must be able to accommodate shift work.

Note about resumes:
For work experience, please indicate duration of employment (months and years) and specify employment status (i.e. casual, part-time or full-time).
For example: January 2006 - June 2009 Loss Prevention Officer PT three 8 hour shifts/week
For post-secondary education, please specify length of program and major.
For example: Bachelor of Arts, 3 year Sociology degree, graduated.

In addition to providing your resume, copies of the following documents must also be submitted. Interviews will not be considered until this information is received by Human Resources.
1) Valid Standard First Aid with CPR Level-C Certification;
2) Current Driver's Abstract; and
3) Current Criminal Records Check.

For out-of-province applicants, the documents requested above can be obtained from the province you reside in. Documents are valid for six months from the date the information was issued.

Applicants being considered will be contacted via e-mail with information about the documentation process. You will be required to complete the medical and physical assessment at this stage in the recruitment process.

To learn more about the Edmonton Remand Centre or the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre, and a career as a Correctional Peace Officer, please visit: http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/careers/co ... fault.aspx
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:13 am

Melanie1 wrote:Edmonton must be desperate since they are hiring again during the hiring freeze

More like flooding the centre to completely eliminate overtime! Shifts are already overstaffed.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:13 am

allbrancereal wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:Edmonton must be desperate since they are hiring again during the hiring freeze

More like flooding the centre to completely eliminate overtime! Shifts are already overstaffed.

key word is "trying"...i personally dont believe that OT will ever disappear completely...if you want it-you will find it one way or another
my centre got a TON of new recruits and we still got OT available...another change that has been made is that if you fail COBT-you dont have a job to come back to....so heads up to the rookies-try hard...COBT fills their classes much faster than before...took me a year almost after i hit the floor before i went to the academy
i personally wish i went to COBT as a wage just so I can have a cheque without all the deductions (pension, benefits etc),,,thats like extra 600$...but compared to Ontario corrections being paid for training is still better than paying for it lol so i shouldnt complain