Interview for CO?!any tips???

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BigC
Rookie Member

Re: Interview for CO?!any tips???

Postby BigC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:17 pm

If its for ontario provincal system, they will ask the infamous question in one form or anther. How far will you go to save your partners life? You go the distance! ;) The rest will be about saving the world and rehabilition.

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:59 pm

I think the interview is pretty universal for CO jobs. Be comfortable, make eye contact... don't do any weird twitches, just sit still....

Make sure you stress that you highly value integrity and honesty.

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:31 am

So what does "BigC" stand for?

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:22 pm

So is it Correcitonal Service of Canada, or an Ontario Public Service posting(whatever the Ontario provincial correctional system calls themselves)? I've heard provincial wasn't hiring again until 2012....but maybe I'm mistaken :ponder:

EDIT: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is the OPS one. I guess I should know these things, working under the same umbrealla and all :oops:
Giggity giggity goo!

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Its called Ontario Correctional Services. Ontario corrrectional services and the ontario provincial police are under the same ministry which is the ministry of commiunity safety and correctional services.

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Oh my.... :((
Giggity giggity goo!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:39 pm

BigC wrote:If its for ontario provincal system, they will ask the infamous question in one form or anther. How far will you go to save your partners life? You go the distance! ;)

If he or she is 6 feet away I'll go 6 feet, if he or she is 12 feet away I'll go 12 feet. Am I hired? :crazy:

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 am

Madeline236 wrote:
BigC wrote:If its for ontario provincal system, they will ask the infamous question in one form or anther. How far will you go to save your partners life? You go the distance! ;)

If he or she is 6 feet away I'll go 6 feet, if he or she is 12 feet away I'll go 12 feet. Am I hired? :crazy:

Was this supposed to be funny? :ponder:

FYI
Distance -
—Idioms
19. go the distance,
a. (in horse racing) to be able to run well in a long race.
b. Informal . to finish or complete something, especially something difficult, challenging, or requiring sustained effort.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Slo wrote:
Madeline236 wrote:

Was this supposed to be funny? :ponder:

Can't hit a home run every time I guess

Slo wrote:FYI
Distance -
—Idioms
19. go the distance,
a. (in horse racing) to be able to run well in a long race.
b. Informal . to finish or complete something, especially something difficult, challenging, or requiring sustained effort.

Thanks for the enlightenment Webster.

Now for a serious tip. I and many others I know passed corrections and police testing and interviews without having to regurgitate cliche catch phrases like "go the distance! The rest will be about saving the world and [sic] rehabilition." I mean you honestly don't think they expect everyone to barf that stuff out because it sounds good.

You need to stand out, show them you can think for yourself and are a leader, plus have a well developed set of life experiences. That goes a lot further than telling them what they want to hear. In corrections you get offenders telling you what you want to hear all the time to make themselves look good, gain favours, play you etc. officers (most) are good at spotting this and will see the applicant doing it a mile away.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 am

Madeline236 wrote:
Thanks for the enlightenment Webster.

Now for a serious tip. I and many others I know passed corrections and police testing and interviews without having to regurgitate cliche catch phrases like "go the distance! The rest will be about saving the world and [sic] rehabilition." I mean you honestly don't think they expect everyone to barf that stuff out because it sounds good.

You need to stand out, show them you can think for yourself and are a leader, plus have a well developed set of life experiences. That goes a lot further than telling them what they want to hear. In corrections you get offenders telling you what you want to hear all the time to make themselves look good, gain favours, play you etc. officers (most) are good at spotting this and will see the applicant doing it a mile away.

The poster seemed to not realize what that 'cliche' was referring to. I agree though. Firing off cliches and yapping about how you will "do whatever it takes" is fine and dandy...but unless it seems genuine it is pointless, or so it seems.

Just clarifying my post....I obviously submit to those that have gone through these processes before.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:40 am

Madeline236 wrote:

I just realized you were the one that said this.....your :crazy: made me figure you weren't trying to be funny but calling into question BigC's answer. It's obvious now you were just being sarcastic/joking. Sorry.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:56 pm

Yeah poor choice of emote likely.

former mleo
Rookie Member

Postby former mleo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:08 am

Apollo wrote:I think this guy has an interview for federal corrections in Ontario region. He doesn't know the difference.

LOL too funny, bet your right !! hahaha