Does job loss affect recruiting process?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
CWG
Rookie Member

Does job loss affect recruiting process?

Postby CWG » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi, long time reader, first time writer.

I currently have two applications in circulation with both Waterloo Regional and Metro Toronto. I'm currently at Stage 2 with WRPS, and awaiting an interview invite from Metro.

I work a full time job, and it seems on January 1st, 2011, my position is going to become redundant. My question is this:

Will my losing my job in January, a position I've held for over 3 years, affect my application? I'd be going on unemployment until I can find something new, obviously, but I just want to know if the recruiters will look at something like this negatively. Again, I'm losing my job because my position became redundant. I did not get fired, it was not something that was performance related. In fact, quite the opposite.

I also see this as a type of opportunity. Would there be a job out there that would help my application (be it Security, etc)?

Thank you for your time.

CWG

Mongo
Veteran Member

Re: Does job loss affect recruiting process?

Postby Mongo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 pm

CWG wrote:Would there be a job out there that would help my application (be it Security, etc)?

It would not be security.

Getting laid off was something beyond your control and is unlikely to affect your application by itself. That said, the process can take awhile and recruiters would expect you to be looking for work rather than sitting on pogey, which doesn't sound like an issue for you anyway.

I was out of work when I applied and only working part-time casual when I was hired months later, didn't hurt me.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

I honestly can't imagine not working... I've always been able to find a job... If you know this far in advance that you will be without a job, start looking for one now... There are TONS of jobs out there, it might not be what you were doing, but it sure looks better to a future employer for you to be working than not.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 pm

If you know your going to be out of a job come January, why not start applying and looking for a new job instead of going on EI? :ponder:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey, is there an echo in here here here...?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:I honestly can't imagine not working... I've always been able to find a job... If you know this far in advance that you will be without a job, start looking for one now... There are TONS of jobs out there, it might not be what you were doing, but it sure looks better to a future employer for you to be working than not.

I'll second that without the reverb :D Lots of employers are hiring right now. A person can't control being laid off, and in a lot of cases a very good employee gets tossed because anothers with more senoirity are retained. I wouldn't think this would cast a negative mark on you at all.
Beer Me !

bcw

Postby bcw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:42 am

What experience did you have? Why would you think to try security out of the blue? I think some inhouse security are great but its not for everybody and from what's I'm assuming, you don't have enough security experience to obtain one of those position. Try doing something which will allow you to help the community. Apply to recreational / community center either with a municipality or private company. Find a position where you would interact with the community such as a instructor of a program, child and youth coordinator etc. With those jobs at least you will be making a different into someone's life and you may enjoy it. I can say for sure if you were to obtain a position similar to what I stated, it will help your application.

CWG
Rookie Member

Postby CWG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 am

bcw, you're bang on. I only just found out yesterday that this was happening, and it's funny, I'd been thinking pogey, and honestly, the thought made me sick. I hate not working. Sitting around the house all day would drive me insane.

So last night, my wife and I talked about it, and yeah, working at a community centre, YMCA, etc, would be ideal. That way, I can work in a community oriented setting that relates to what I want my future to be, and I can even volunteer elsewhere, say a hospital or something of that ilk.

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate the input.

sd166
Rookie Member

Postby sd166 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:38 pm

I am well aware people look to this forum for advice on their application and the process but I would suggest you contact the recruiting officer of the Service you are applying to if you have questions regarding your application. Some of the people on here may be offering an opinion more than advice. If you have questions about policing or a specific service ask someone who knows about it. If you have questions about your application and/ or the process you owe it to yourself to contact the recruiting office to get the best answer. Good luck!

CWG
Rookie Member

Postby CWG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Good advice. I planned on mentioning it on Friday for my Stage 2 with WRPS. I just thought I'd check online as well, see what the community might have to say.

Thanks again all.

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:I honestly can't imagine not working... I've always been able to find a job... If you know this far in advance that you will be without a job, start looking for one now... There are TONS of jobs out there, it might not be what you were doing, but it sure looks better to a future employer for you to be working than not.

haha i either didn't see your post or we posted at almost the same time LOL.....or your just smart like me lol :P
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

:aye:

All of the above. ;)
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

bcw

Postby bcw » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:16 am

EI are for lazy people.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:20 am

bcw wrote:EI are for lazy people.

I wouldn't go that far. You have to work to be able to get EI in the first place. I deal with lazy people every day who would never become eligible for EI.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?