PIRL

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

PIRL

Postby cshea » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Just thought I would start this thread as it is starting to become a good topic.

Also, for those who want to share thier score may do so if they want. As I am sure that I am close to the bottom my PIRL score is 67.7

This is what I received from Central recruiting

"To answer your question, the RMSI is scored out of 40, and the PIRL is
out of 100. Since the list is continually changing, we cannot confirm
what may or may not be a competitive score; it all depends on what we
have to chose from at the time of a selection versus how many applicants
we need.

If you are not selected by the time your score expires on the PIRL,
your only option will be to re-write the RPAB (RCMP Police Aptitude
Battery), which now includes both the RPAT (RCMP Police Aptitude Test)
and the SFPQ (Six Factor Personality Questionnaire).

Should you decide to re-write the RPAB before the expiry of your score
on the PIRL, you would no longer be on the PIRL, rather you would be
waiting to be selected from the IRL (Initial Ranked List) and start the
whole process over".

Cheers
C
A Div Ottawa
RPAT: 18 Apr 09
Results:14 May 09
Pare: 3:32
RMSI: 05 Nov 09
Poly: 27 Apr 10
BGI:
Med:
Dent:
MMPI:
Final PARE:
FR:
SC:
Troop
cshea
Veteran Member

Re: PIRL

Postby Buman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Good idea cshea lets combine all of our info into one place and try to understand this as best as possible.

ACRONYMS

PIRL - Post Interview Ranking List.
RMSI - Regular Member Selection Interview.
RPAT - RCMP Police Aptitude Test.
RPAB - RCMP Police Aptitude Battery.
SFPQ - Six Factor Personality Questionnaire.

DEFINITIONS

RPAB - This is the test you write at the beginning of the process. It now has two parts:
1. RPAT - Same old RPAT. It tests Composition, Comprehension, Memory, Judgment, Observation, Logic and Computation. Passing grade is 3.2 out of 5.
2. SFPQ - According to the RCMP website "The SFPQ has 108 statements where you are asked to agree or disagree. The questionnaire measures an applicants' conscientiousness"

RMSI - This is the interview which is scored out of 40. You are placed on the PIRL after you complete the interview.

PIRL - The actual list in which candidates are ranked.
PIRL score - This is the score that determines your place on the PIRL. Applicants are given a PIRL score out of 100. The score is determined based on your RPAB and RMSI.

WHAT DO WE THINK WE KNOW?

- After you write the RPAB and take the RMSI you're given a PIRL score and placed on the PIRL.
- Your PIRL score determines your place on the PIRL(actual list)
- When the RCMP goes to fill seats at DEPOT they pull out the applicants who are highest on the PIRL.
- No one knows what a competitive score is or what the averages of those selected are because applicants with different PIRL scores are continually added and taken off the PIRL.
- Those of us who have not written the RPAB will keep our scores for one year. Next year(Nov. 1) we'll have to write the RPAB and then be given a new PIRL score.
- We are stuck with our current PIRL scores for one year. If we want to improve it right now we'll have to write the RPAB and redo the RMSI all over again.(Just wait with your current PIRL score, we'll have a chance to improve it in one year and stay on the PIRL).
- Once you're on the PIRL with a RPAB score you can rewrite the RPAB to improve your score once a year.
- When you are selected from the PIRL you will continue the process from where you left off. You may have to redo some things but once your selected you're moving and shouldn't stop.(As far as I understand)
- The PIRL is regional.
- It seems not every region has implemented the PIRL.

WHAT KIND OF SCORES ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

I'm going to provide a list of known PIRL scores. I'll just list the scores, not who is associated with them. If you want to PM me your PIRL score I'll add it to the list and won't mention your name. Hopefully with this we'll be able to determine amongst ourselves what kind of scores we're looking at.

Known scores:

I'll list them in descending order for ease of use.

(With our huge sample size 70ish looks to be average. lol.)

WHAT DO WE WANT TO KNOW?

Here I'll list questions that we want to know and hopefully you guys can ask your respective FCs and get some answers. I'll add the answers to the post when they come in.

1. Does each region have separate PIRL score? or is the PIRL national? - Answered (thanks noonelson) The PIRL is regional.
2. Which regions have/have not implemented the PIRL?
Last edited by Buman on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.
Buman
Grand Poobah

Postby Noonelson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:05 pm

In my letter they refer to the RMSI as both a "selection" interview and a "structured" interview. I think they may change the name from Regular Member Selection Interview, to Regular Member Structured Interview. Lets face it you havent been selected once you pass the RMSI. As well, info to be added to this thread is i was told the PIRL is Regional. my score is already in your list- lets hope we can get lots more to add to our own list so we can get some idea of the group/list. Cheers "71.4" :ponder:
Noonelson

Postby tango50 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm

I see the PIRL is regional. Do we know what regions it is in? Also, does it matter what stage of the game we are at, they will still issue a PIRL score?
"K" div.

Re-inserted: Aug. 2009
Poly: Jan 2010
BGI: Cleared July 2010
Medical: Started July 2010...Februrary 14... Fit for duty.
PARE: March 4th, 3:41
FR: March 17
SC: Done

Troop 5, June 22-December 12
tango50
Veteran Member

Postby terryjaye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 am

This concerns me greatly. I have been waiting for final review for aprox 15 months. I also received the PIRL letter.

I emailed my FC only to find out that she no longer has my file. She gave me some non-descript address at recruiting to send my questions and concerns.

So, will I compete with other applicants to even be reviewed?

I suspect that this is dreary news for me.
O Division
RPAT Feb 21/09
PARE I Feb 28/09 (3:26)
RMSI Apr 2/09
Poly Apr 27/09
BGI complete Aug 20/09
PARE II Aug 25/09 (3:16)
forwarded to Final Review Aug 28/09
Medical clearance Sep 28/09
S/C ?
terryjaye
Rookie Member

Postby Rugger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 am

I am surprised those deep in the process would be placed on the PIRL. I figured it was only those waiting for poly/BGI would be placed on it as those with BGI/Medical completed had most hurdles done, and most money invested in their application. If they are being placed on the list then those done the BGI should have a higher score than say myself who is awaiting BGI.
Rugger
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby terryjaye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 am

Rugger wrote:I am surprised those deep in the process would be placed on the PIRL. I figured it was only those waiting for poly/BGI would be placed on it as those with BGI/Medical completed had most hurdles done, and most money invested in their application. If they are being placed on the list then those done the BGI should have a higher score than say myself who is awaiting BGI.

That's my feeling. I would be very dismayed if my suitability was determined by two scores very early on in my process. The BGI would certainly provide more information on my skill/moral set.

I don't really expect to hear from recruiting.
O Division
RPAT Feb 21/09
PARE I Feb 28/09 (3:26)
RMSI Apr 2/09
Poly Apr 27/09
BGI complete Aug 20/09
PARE II Aug 25/09 (3:16)
forwarded to Final Review Aug 28/09
Medical clearance Sep 28/09
S/C ?
terryjaye
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 am

I totally agree rugger. I feel shitty enough having this happen before my bgi. I can't imagine being in SC and kicked down like that. I feel my signature is about to get longer...
Buman
Grand Poobah

Postby chris381 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 am

Honestly, recently this is the first time I had herd of the PIRL scores.............I never got a letter, email, or call about mine......So therefor I have no clue where I would "rank".
Regular member "k" div.
chris381

Postby sportyspice » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Just out of curiosity - is the SFPQ scored in any way, or is it just a pass/fail? For any of you who know your PIRL, do you also know your RPAT and RMSI scores, and have you been able to figure out how they calculate your PIRL?

For example, if you score a 30 on your RMSI and a 4.0 on your RPAT, would that give you a PIRL of 77.5? (30/40 = 75% + 4.0/5.0 = 80% / 2 = 77.5%)? Or are the scores weighted?
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."
sportyspice
Seasoned Member

Postby Buman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey sporty,

When i got the letter with the pirl score it had my rmsi and rpat score included. According to the response i got, the pirl is not an average of the rmsi and rpat.

Oh and the sfpq is scored and combined with the rpat.
Buman
Grand Poobah

Postby PCwannabe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Well got my letter today. :( My PIRL score is 67.7 so I suspect that I will not be getting a selection call but I guess you never know. Pretty disappointing after being in this prcess for over 2 years now.

Good luck all

Cheers
exam-Oct 17/08
Pre Poly -Jan 13/09
PARE-Apr 8/09
RMSI-May 1/09
Poly-May 18/09
Psyc-Nov 25/09
Medical-Dec 16/09
Dental-Mar 4/10
BGI-Pending
PIRL-Nov 1/10
RPAB-Nov26/11
RPAB-Jan 10/12 passed
RPAB - Jan 13 ext
Package - Aug 16/13
PARE - Oct9
PCwannabe
Veteran Member

Postby e-dre » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:13 pm

I contacted my recruiting coordinator and she informed me that most all of the divisions rejected the PIRL scoring format. She told me that an applicant's suitability is determined on their file and their file alone. They are not "ranked" against other applicants. Obviously some of the divisions are using it but thankfully "K" is not one of them.
Calgary Police Service
e-dre

Postby Noonelson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:08 pm

terryjaye wrote:This concerns me greatly. I have been waiting for final review for aprox 15 months. I also received the PIRL letter.

I emailed my FC only to find out that she no longer has my file. She gave me some non-descript address at recruiting to send my questions and concerns.

So, will I compete with other applicants to even be reviewed?

I suspect that this is dreary news for me.

Yes as i stated in one of my posts. I dont think we even have a FC now that we are on the PIRL. We arent technically active in the process anymore. Bad news for sure. I see it as being put on hold, not refused outright bot not active either.
Noonelson

Postby Luke101 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:32 pm

sportyspice wrote:Just out of curiosity - is the SFPQ scored in any way, or is it just a pass/fail? For any of you who know your PIRL, do you also know your RPAT and RMSI scores, and have you been able to figure out how they calculate your PIRL?

For example, if you score a 30 on your RMSI and a 4.0 on your RPAT, would that give you a PIRL of 77.5? (30/40 = 75% + 4.0/5.0 = 80% / 2 = 77.5%)? Or are the scores weighted?

I'm not an expert, but it's my understand that the PIRL not a score you can calculate. It is your rank on the waiting list, based out of 100. It will change depending on the scores of your competitors.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Luke101
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)