Shifts? York Region Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Re: Shifts? York Region Police

Postby meathead1 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 pm

basketcase wrote:Five-Four is by far the best schedule I've worked. Even better than four on four off.

Weekend of days, weekend of nights then two weekends in a row off.

I did that in Kingston. In my opinion, 4 on 4 off is far better.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:42 pm

meathead1 wrote:
basketcase wrote:Five-Four is by far the best schedule I've worked. Even better than four on four off.

Weekend of days, weekend of nights then two weekends in a row off.

I did that in Kingston. In my opinion, 4 on 4 off is far better.

I've done both and prefer five-four. I'm not as protective of my weekends this way. My wife works straight days so it's nice to spend a real weekend with her once in a while instead of waiting 6 weeks for one to show up and it's only there two weeks in a row.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:44 pm

ya it really depends on what the person is looking for out of the shift schedule. My wife works shift as well so weekends don't mean as much to me. When it gets time for my daughter to be in school then it will be a different story.

AMten
Rookie Member

Postby AMten » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 pm

meathead1 wrote:
RemingtonSteel wrote:Here is an calender example of the 8 and 10 hour shifts.

http://www.wrps.on.ca/images/stories/Hu ... tation.pdf

Personally, I think this schedule is great and wish I had it, provides for a lot of days off to actually enjoy your personal life.

that's a HORRIBLE schedule!! 2 days off between afternoons and days???? 7 nights then only 5 off?????? BRUTAL.

4 on 4 off is the way to go.

It's pretty good actually... The 2 off is great when you only work 3 days before it and 3 afternoons after. And after 7 nights, it works out to about 7 days off... 6.5 -7 days off... not 5... i will agree that when you work 4 days then get 2 off and work 7 nights it sucks... but thats about it... the 7 off makes up for it =)

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 pm

AMten wrote:
meathead1 wrote:

Personally, I think this schedule is great and wish I had it, provides for a lot of days off to actually enjoy your personal life.

that's a HORRIBLE schedule!! 2 days off between afternoons and days???? 7 nights then only 5 off?????? BRUTAL.

It's pretty good actually... The 2 off is great when you only work 3 days before it and 3 afternoons after. And after 7 nights, it works out to about 7 days off... 6.5 -7 days off... not 5... i will agree that when you work 4 days then get 2 off and work 7 nights it sucks... but thats about it... the 7 off makes up for it =)

It's not good actually, Meathead is right. I was on that garbage schedule for years- it felt like I never had a day off. That schedule should be abolished as cruel and inhuman punishment.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

AMten
Rookie Member

Postby AMten » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm on it now, and I like it.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:30 pm

AMten wrote:
meathead1 wrote:

How do yo figure 6.5 days off? Your last night is Thursday, then you spend a portion of Friday sleeping on your day off, then you're tired on your day off. The friday doesn't count. Sat and Sun you're struggling to get back into a normal routine and your tired and grumpy. Mon-Wed were my only normal days off.

Bottom line, shift work sucks no matter what combination you work. It's horrible for your body no matter what. There is no perfect rotation because they all suck ass.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 pm

i do 4 on 4 off. Days are 0500-1700, nights are 1600-0400. So if i get home from nights on time, i can still sleep until 12 and still have my whole day to do whatever i want. It works out to pretty close to 4 days off. I love it.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:44 pm

meathead1 wrote:i do 4 on 4 off. Days are 0500-1700, nights are 1600-0400. So if i get home from nights on time, i can still sleep until 12 and still have my whole day to do whatever i want. It works out to pretty close to 4 days off.
I love it.[/
quote]

Do you actually love it? or tolerate it? The extra time off is nice, but I would rather be in bed during the night. Humans are not meant to be nocturnal.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 pm

I've worked both and 4 on 4 off is years better than a straight days schedule. Half the days of the year you don't work. Between holidays and flex, I'd have another eight weeks or so (12 days off each stretch) off in addition to that. Can't beat it.

CO

Brock Vegas
Rookie Member

Postby Brock Vegas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Post by Mongo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 pm

AMten wrote:

meathead1 wrote:

It's not good actually, Meathead is right. I was on that garbage schedule for years- it felt like I never had a day off. That schedule should be abolished as cruel and inhuman punishment.

+1

I've worked this shift for the last 4 years, and the continental 12 hour for the previous 11....working 14-16 days in 35 as opposed to 21 in 35 is very nice...also, I don't feel a huge difference between a 10 hour and 12 hour shift...days wrecked no matter what....
Brock

AMten
Rookie Member

Postby AMten » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm

How do yo figure 6.5 days off? Your last night is Thursday, then you spend a portion of Friday sleeping on your day off, then you're tired on your day off. The friday doesn't count. Sat and Sun you're struggling to get back into a normal routine and your tired and grumpy. Mon-Wed were my only normal days off.

Bottom line, shift work sucks no matter what combination you work. It's horrible for your body no matter what. There is no perfect rotation because they all suck ass.[/quote]

yea last shift is thursday morning. The next shift is the next thursday evening. So I ended work last thursday at 7:15am, and I will start again on this thursday at 5pm. Just cause you have a problem getting back into a schedule, doesn't mean they aren't days off... I have no problem with it.

I will agree there is no perfect rotation though.

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Apollo wrote:Toronto is 8 hours nights 10 hours days.

Until March when the pilot shifts come out!!!! And I hope they phase them out fast!!!! It sucks for familly life :evil:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:59 am

Bald Man wrote:
meathead1 wrote:i do 4 on 4 off. Days are 0500-1700, nights are 1600-0400. So if i get home from nights on time, i can still sleep until 12 and still have my whole day to do whatever i want. It works out to pretty close to 4 days off.
I love it.[/
quote]

Do you actually love it? or tolerate it? The extra time off is nice, but I would rather be in bed during the night. Humans are not meant to be nocturnal.

Perhaps love is a strong word. But I really like working nights, I'd go straight nights if I could.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 pm

KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.