Small Business Owner

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
AlexandreK
Rookie Member

Small Business Owner

Postby AlexandreK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:29 am

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on what looks like a great forum and I hope to learn more about the application and hiring process of LE.
I am currently a small business owner and I am looking at a career change. My question is: How would a prospective employer (in my case opp or wrps) look at an applicant who has a successful business and wishes to transition into LE.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Small Business Owner

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:18 am

It's all in how you can explain that you've acquired the necessary competencies through your business. This should be easy. I'm sure you have lots of experiences to draw from.

CO

AlexandreK
Rookie Member

Postby AlexandreK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:31 am

Perhaps I can provide a little more information about myself to make it easier to answer my question.

I am a 27 year old male with a OSSD, also engaged and have a 7 year old daughter. I have successfully started and operated a construction company for the past 3 years. Prior to that I was a general machinist.
Also this might be of importance I was born in Moldova and immigrated to Canada in 1995. I also speak Romanian, Russian and English

fox
Rookie Member

Postby fox » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:39 am

Alot of people who apply for a job in law enforcement are doing so because they want a career change, its nothing new to recruiting departments....they see this all the time.

AlexandreK
Rookie Member

Postby AlexandreK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks for your reply CO.
I guess I was more concerned with the fact that I have changed careers once in my 27 years of evolution and how another change would affect my chances of becoming a constable.

Alex

AlexandreK
Rookie Member

Postby AlexandreK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks fox for your reply.

From what I have read online so far, all constables come from different backgrounds. I do think I might be the first from construction. I will focus on the leadership and operations part of the business more then the technical skills involved with operating a construction company. Do you agree?

Alex

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:53 am

No you won't be the first from construction. You also won't be the first from Moldova, nor will you be the first who can speak Romanian, Russian and English.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:57 am

AlexandreK wrote:Thanks for your reply CO.
I guess I was more concerned with the fact that I have changed careers once in my 27 years of evolution and how another change would affect my chances of becoming a constable.

Alex

I think having changed your career once in 27 years shows more stability and maturity than does bouncing around from job to job.

CO

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:08 pm

You may even consider training your replacement and keep the business.
I know of a couple of members having their own bussines on the side.
One runs plumbing outfit and the other Extreme Pita franchise.
It's hard for sure but can be done I'm hearing.

I am in construction, sort of, and will try to keep it going if I can, maybe smaller but will try if I stay in town.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:33 pm

AlexandreK wrote:Thanks for your reply CO.

Alex

Only one career change? These days its common for gen X and Y to change multiple times in their working life. IMO going from trades to business owner could be evidence of trying to constantly improve, broaden you horizons and evidence of intuitive. Add on your languages and successful settlement in a new country I only see positive here.

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:48 pm

AlexandreK wrote:Thanks fox for your reply.

From what I have read online so far, all constables come from different backgrounds. I do think I might be the first from construction. I will focus on the leadership and operations part of the business more then the technical skills involved with operating a construction company. Do you agree?

Alex

You sound like a very good candidate....your life experience and languages will be major assets.

AlexandreK
Rookie Member

Postby AlexandreK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Thank you all for the positive replies.

I have been told by a fellow officer in the opp that I would make a great officer. However I did have one slip up when I was 18 years old while working at Walmart in the automotive service department. I installed windshield wipers on my first vehicle (a red 1991 Suzuki swift) and forgot to pay for them that afternoon. I got in the next morning and payed for the wipers and went on about my work. I unfortunately got pulled into the main office to find an officer and my manager wanting to talk to me about what had happened!
In the end i got charged with theft under 5000 and got released with a promise to appear.
To make things worse I missed my court date a warrant for my arrest was issued. I turned myself in on Sunday (so I got my first and last taste of jail) and released on monday. Anyways I ended up getting a conditional discharge, served 40 hours of community service (helped installing a children's playground at a church) and that was the end of it!!! :shame:

How could that incident affect me?

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 pm

If you make to the interview, tell them exactly what you just told us - you made a mistake, you paid for that mistake, you learned from that mistake. It happened, so all you can do now is be honest about it.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Hmmmm fail to appear? That will REALLY hurt your application.

You definitely got some splainin' to do!
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:39 pm

This is like an interview with an accused. Gradually the truth comes out... First you're an ideal candidate...now thief and breacher of court orders. What next? Shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die?

CO