Alberta Commercial Vehicle Enforcement hiring

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
AHP309
Seasoned Member

Alberta Commercial Vehicle Enforcement hiring

Postby AHP309 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:30 am

Transport Officers

Closing Date
September 24, 2010

Classification
Sheriff, Security & Transport 2 / 3

Ministry
Transportation

Role
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement's mandate is to protect the highway infrastructure and ensure the safety of all highway users. We are recruiting individuals committed to a career as a Transport Officer. In these important and visible roles, you will have significant interaction with the motor transport industry. As a Peace Officer you ensure compliance with National Safety Code requirements and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance standards through the operation of permanent and portable weigh scales and mobile patrols within a designated geographical location. You must be physically able to check commercial vehicles and loads for safety and mechanical fitness. Your exceptional interpersonal and communication skills will be used extensively, as you maintain daily contact with the transport industry to provide information, interpret legislation and ensure compliance. You will also assist in the delivery of seminars to a wide array of clients and promote an active working relationship with other agencies. Effective writing skills are essential.

Qualifications
Due to the multifaceted responsibilities of these positions, we are seeking individuals with varied backgrounds. Related 2 year Diploma; OR High school diploma with recent related law enforcement experience; OR Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician with recent experience related to motor transport industry. Eligibility for Peace Officer status is required. A recognized Standard CPR and First-Aid training is required. Successful completion of the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Program would be considered an asset. Candidates will be hired at the entry level of this growth class. Progression to the Transport Officer II level is based upon several years of additional directly related experience and training. A valid Class 5 Drivers License is also required. All candidates invited to the interview will be required to bring with them a current driver`s abstract and appropriate proof of educational requirements, including transcripts and/or certificates. Successful candidates will be assigned to locations based upon operational requirements and opportunity for transfer is available during their term of employment.

Salary
$49,764.09 to $67,188.19

Notes
Positions in Northern locations may be eligible for the Northern Allowance or Fort McMurray Allowance, the Northern Leave Benefit, and an attraction bonus of 25% maybe available. For details, please visit: http://www.chr.alberta.ca/Practitioners ... m-pay&cf=5. See http://www.opportunitynorth.ca for further information on northern communities.

Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo security screening and provide references. Successful candidates will be asked to complete medical, Physical Ability Requirement Evaluation (PARE) and behavioral testing. You can obtain additional information on the duties of a Transport Officer position at: http://www.joincveb.alberta.ca

Buman
Rookie Member

Re: Alberta Commercial Vehicle Enforcement hiring

Postby Buman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:12 pm

I may apply... just never considered CVE before.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

Transitpopo

Postby Transitpopo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Realistically what are the chances of getting a posting in the south?

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:53 pm

We do have some openings in the south.

WATTSCO
Rookie Member

Postby WATTSCO » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Anyone know what the shift rotations are like with CVEB?

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 pm

argyll wrote:Southern Fort Mac

Nothing better to do than post stupid comments? The fact is the 2 positions in Fort Mac are filled.

Since we are hiring for 28 positions, there are lots of opportunities around the province.

WATTSCO wrote:Anyone know what the shift rotations are like with CVEB?

Most offices run 7.75 hr shifts (38.75 weekly) but will change to 3-10's and 1-8.75 for major checks.

The 4 major Vehicle Inspection Stations/Patrol locations (Coutts, Balzac, Leduc, and Whitecourt) can run the standard 7.75's or the 10's. Flex time is also available to get another day off each month.

Meals are covered when on patrol and their are lots of opportunities to attend checks around the province.
-

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:53 pm

Do you guys get guns? Do you have to put up with those CPS officers?................................. :wave: :lol:
Patch Trader? Go to My Patch Page

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WATTSCO
Rookie Member

Postby WATTSCO » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks AHP for the response.

I have a few more questions if you're willing to help me out.

1. Are officers based out of the permanent scales like at Burmis or Jumping Pound, or do they work out of more central locations and travel to the various scales in the region?

2. If you were to get into an area that you liked and wanted to stay there for a longer period (to start a family, get a house, etc...), is that possible or are you forced to transfer around often?

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:33 am

WATTSCO wrote:Thanks AHP for the response.

I have a few more questions if you're willing to help me out.

1. Are officers based out of the permanent scales like at Burmis or Jumping Pound, or do they work out of more central locations and travel to the various scales in the region?

2. If you were to get into an area that you liked and wanted to stay there for a longer period (to start a family, get a house, etc...), is that possible or are you forced to transfer around often?

Officers work out of the various scales or patrol offices and cover their district. Outside the district travel is then done for training, and joint forces checks. (as a side note, the Jumping Pound scale building on Hwy #1is being removed but the scale itself will remain. The officers will then patrol out of an office in Cochrane)

Transfers are now at your request, or for promotion. I have been in Calgary since 1988. Hard to believe that I have put up with all the goofy CPS members for all these years.... :rant:

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 am

:mrgreen:
Patch Trader? Go to My Patch Page

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WATTSCO
Rookie Member

Postby WATTSCO » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Officers work out of the various scales or patrol offices and cover their district. Outside the district travel is then done for training, and joint forces checks. (as a side note, the Jumping Pound scale building on Hwy #1is being removed but the scale itself will remain. The officers will then patrol out of an office in Cochrane)

Transfers are now at your request, or for promotion. I have been in Calgary since 1988. Hard to believe that I have put up with all the goofy CPS members for all these years.... :rant:

Awesome

Thanks again AHP

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm

For out of province applicants, I know that you are given an option to complete your written test at a different location and do not have to physically go to alberta. But for physical, medical, and interview; do you HAVE to go there or do they allow you complete those out of province also?

tsar3
Rookie Member

Postby tsar3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:13 am

I have been invited to write a test for the CVE next week...my question for anybody here is, is the test multiple choice questions or what? and how/ what do I study to prepare for this test? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much... :?

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 am

0010010 wrote:For out of province applicants, I know that you are given an option to complete your written test at a different location and do not have to physically go to alberta.
But for physical, medical, and interview; do you HAVE to go there or do they allow you complete those out of province also?

Perhaps they would accept a medical from a licenced physician and the fitness test completed at some other police service with the same testing, but I fail to see how anyone other than the recuiting service could perform the interview?