U of T Police Sergeant

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Re: U of T Police Sergeant

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:45 pm

recceguy wrote:I've always been confused with U of T. They are called U of T police.....are they police or specials?

Universities can only have special constables in Ontario as the Police Act only allows for the creation of provincial and municipal police, First Nations Constables and special constables.

These universities use special constables and they all have the same authority despite the names used:
University of Toronto
University of Guelph
University of Windsor
University of Western Ontario
Carleton University
Brock University
McMaster University
Laurier
University of Waterloo
Fanshawe College (to date the only college in Canada to have special constables)
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:53 pm

48highlander wrote:
recceguy wrote:I've always been confused with U of T. They are called U of T police.....are they police or specials?

As Dave has mentioned many times before, a number of Universities had their own police forces way back when. Legislation changed, they lost their Police status, became Specials, but retain the "Police" moniker for historical/sentimental reasons.

U of T, Guelph, Western, Waterloo and Windsor still use police in one fashion or another. Carlton, Brock and McMaster also used police at one time. Bottom line is that the word police in a name title does not denote any additional authority. Niagara Parks Police*, despite carrying sidearms, are special constables.

* sorry...just had to throw them into this mix..... :lol:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby recceguy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:30 pm

I figured they were specials as they aren't armed. I just didn't think the province would allow specials to have the word police in their title.....however I'll admit I don't know much about the special constable legislation or whatever it may be called.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major
recceguy
King Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:16 pm

recceguy wrote:I figured they were specials as they aren't armed. I just didn't think the province would allow specials to have the word police in their title.....however I'll admit I don't know much about the special constable legislation or whatever it may be called.

It is called the "Nothing" as it does not exist. Special constables are allowed to be created via section 53 of the Ontario Police Services Act. It allows for them to exist but there is no legislated regulations to govern them (look, training, name...and so on).

Ontario special constables have existed in an unchanged state for eons. The OACP have been pushing the Ministry to create legislation to cover special constables and the Ministry does not seem to be in any hurry. What has worked for all this time is the sponsor police agency being a watch dog and pulling, threatening to pull, tweaking appointments when things start going south in a particular special constable agency. The Ministry seems or at least had been content with this.

Some examples of the he sponsor concept:

OPP - Go Transit, Provincial Legislation Security
Toronto Police Service - U of T, TTC, Toronto Housing
Hamilton Police Service - McMaster University

Each special constable agency operates under an agreement with their sponsor police agency which sets out within it their rules, if you will, of operation.
Waterloo Regional Police - U of Waterloo, Laurier University
Ottawa Police Service - Carleton University and OC Transpo
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:08 pm

BlueStripedPants wrote: Can you PM me Dave if you hear about a SpecialC posting?

http://www.ospreycareers.com/view_caree ... id=1311731

KIRKLAND LAKE
THE RIGHT ENVIRONMENT
Corporation of the Town of Kirkland Lake
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Kirkland Lake is a friendly community of 9,000 people, located in the heart of Northeastern Ontario.
The Emergency Services Department is seeking to fill the following positions:
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
Part-Time / Union
Compensation: As per current collective agreement and classification
Please apply to: jobs@tkl.ca , prior to September 17th, 2010, 3:00 p. m.
For more information about these jobs, please visit our website at www.discoverkl.ca

....Hey, a little out of the way but it is a special constable gig. :P
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Can't remember the date, but UoT Spc's used to be armed.

I do not however agree with Spc's having a designation of Sgt. Supervisor is fine enough.
***If you do not have access to the PRIVATE SIDE of this forum or are not a VENDOR, DO NOT PM me. I DO NOT give out advice on hiring.***
A.T.R.
Poobah Overlord

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:33 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Can't remember the date, but UoT Spc's used to be armed.

I do not however agree with Spc's having a designation of Sgt. Supervisor is fine enough.

Certainly not in recent history as in the last 30 years or so.

As for the sergeant designation....what is the big deal with that? To me restricting a term of rank when it is being used by a legitimate sworn enforcement person seems petty. In my years as a university special constable, over 8 years of which I was a sergeant, not once did I ever have a police constable (of any rank) remark on the use of it in a negative way.

I can see where its use within a police service where special constables and police constables are together it could cause some confusion but when you have distinctly different agencies it should not be an issue. The TTC (Terry Andrews) and OC Transpo (Kim Weston-Martin) special constable agencies both use Chief Special Constable when referring to their departmental head. Universities tend to use Director to refer to that same position but use regular rank titles under that level.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't have a problem with ranks so long as they aren't the same as the Police ranks. For instance, I'd prefer Admiral Jenkins.

What do you care now, Dave? In the words of Principal Skinner... Now, you're "just a man".

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby opp2 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:I don't have a problem with ranks so long as they aren't the same as the Police ranks. For instance, I'd prefer Admiral Jenkins.

What do you care now, Dave? In the words of Principal Skinner... Now, you're "just a man".

CO

Are you sure they aren't saying 'What a man!'??
What has been said, can not be unsaid. What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
opp2

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:05 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:I don't have a problem with ranks so long as they aren't the same as the Police ranks. For instance, I'd prefer Admiral Jenkins.

CO

:mrgreen:

Now would that be Admiral, Vice Admiral or Rear Admiral?

Rear Admiral (USN) Thornton A. Jenkins

Vice-Admiral (RN) Ian Lawrence Jenkins
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:36 pm

In your case, likely Rear Admiral.

:twisted:
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:20 am

What do Kirkland Lake Special Constables do? By-law type work?
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 am

I got this off the LK website.

The Town of Kirkland Lake has contracted with the Ontario Provincial Police for policing services in Kirkland Lake. In addition to the regular OPP personnel, the municipality employs secretarial staff, a court case manager/supervisor and special constables responsible for court security and the enforcement of municipal bylaws.

That's an odd set up. OPP doesn't employ the full package with respect to court services/security. Is KL the only town that has this kind of arrangement? Seems odd.
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 am

CourtOfficer wrote:In your case, likely Rear Admiral.

:twisted:

Well it could be worse.......Rear-Admiral Tyrone Pile, Canadian Forces
-Mahatma Gandhi
Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 am

They were armed after 1904. Can't recall when that stopped.

Corrected.
Last edited by A.T.R. on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***If you do not have access to the PRIVATE SIDE of this forum or are not a VENDOR, DO NOT PM me. I DO NOT give out advice on hiring.***
A.T.R.
Poobah Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)