My intro, my story and my rant :)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
dujow
Rookie Member

Re: My intro, my story and my rant :)

Postby dujow » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:53 am

Hi again folks! I really appreciate the posts. They help alot with the thing I lack most, Confidence.

theguynamedalex wrote:
I'm glad the original poster is getting his shit together, but he shouldn't need to put his life story on here to get a pat on the back from applicants looking to kiss ass to current PO's.

Not looking for a pat on the back at all. Maybe a little bit of constructive criticism but no pats. It is a little ridiculous that someone has low confidence and talks about his journey so far on the worlds largest communications platform, on a topic-related board, huh. The internet is not tailored for you, pass over this thread next time.

Anyway, Torontarians, Im moving to your city. Found an apartment in North York just above the 401. Also, found out it is just a few blocks from where my father grew up. Mind=blown

Attended the CAS information session last night and loved every minute of it. Call it newbie excitement but I can't wait to get involved.

Just throwing this out there, but if anyone in Toronto is training through running, or knows of a good gym for a decent price in north Toronto, hit me up, as I am new to the city and eager to learn!

lemmy
Rookie Member

Postby lemmy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 pm

dujow,
You look like you are putting together valuable pcs to become a LEO. I posted in another thread that there is an organization in York Region called the Neighbourhood Network that can maybe help set you up with a volunteer opportunity. They match what you can offer with what an agency's needs are. I found it very helpful.
Please don't worry about your confidence. You appear to be determined and yeah, it helps to have confirmation that you are on the right track.It can be a long and frustrating road but I think it is well worth every effort.
When good people stop wanting to try it's time to call the whole thing off.
Best of luck and keep plugging.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

theguynamedalex
Rookie Member

Postby theguynamedalex » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:06 am

Dave Brown wrote:
Well, not-yet-a-cop, perhaps I can explain something about the interweb thingy. Not every posting on every forum is going to be to your liking. If you don't agree with a post, then there are a million others you can try. There is no need to deride valued members of this forum because they - shudder - agree with one of the things I have said at some point in time. Lord knows, not that many people agree with me, which is a good thing because:
a) it keeps life interesting, and
b) healthy debate is how we advance as humans and as life-long learners.

Obviously, you have missed the "life-long learning" part.

Good luck in your future career; you will need it.

Fair enough. I don't have to agree with every post made and I was just stating my opinion on what I interpret as a bit of ass-kissing. Perhaps it was out of place, but my statement had little or nothing to do with being a cop. As for agreeing or disagreeing with you, I have respect for the valuable insight you have shared on many instances, but that doesn't mean I agree with you on every issue, 100% of the time.

I'm always up for healthy debate.
"I don't know how to put this, but... I'm kind of a big deal!"

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Healthy debate is one thing. Don't deride OTHER forum members for THEIR views, just because they differ from yours.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Dave Brown wrote: Don't deride OTHER forum members for THEIR views, just because they differ from yours.

Unless their view is that their prior years of drug use will make them a better police applicant.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Buffalo8
Rookie Member

Postby Buffalo8 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Apollo wrote:School is for fools.

Dujow,

Physical activity will make you feel better and will help you be more resistant to both physical and emotional stress, so never stop exercising. In the end, the most important thing is confidence, believing in yourself, and being able to market yourself effectively; everything else will fall into place at the right time.

Now as for the debate (which I only saw today):

First of all, being ‘educated’ and having been in university/college, are not mutually exclusive. One can be educated and worldly without having been in a formal school environment per se.

In terms of university/college, there is a large number of very immature people, who paradoxically seem to lose common sense and practical intelligence as they get closer to graduating. There are also a lot of people who probably shouldn’t really be in university in the first place, but that is the case in many situations or environments.

While there may be a lot of fools in school, one is not a fool for pursuing an education, I don’t think.

While for the most part school is not directly related to careers (unless it is a professional program), it is also true that nowadays a high-school diploma will simply just not cut it.

And I think this had been debated before in the chit chat thread, but the key point from before was that the benefits of university go far beyond just the courses one takes. In fact, the course material is probably one of the least important things which one gets from the university experience. I have been in university for six years now, with two degrees, of which one is an advanced degree, and I can honestly say that 90% of the stuff is useless and mostly irrelevant to the working world; however, 9% of the stuff is useful, and 1% of the stuff is very useful. The overall experience (including governance volunteering opportunities and contacts made) is priceless.

And being a cop has nothing to do whatsoever with what I am taking in school, but it is related to some of the things I have experienced while volunteering. If I can’t get into law enforcement, then I might just go to law school instead; but school is not for fools, I assure you.

I’ve yet to meet a lawyer, doctor, judge, or senior administrator, who wasn’t university educated and who only had a high-school diploma.

In closing, university is not required for policing, unless one wants to add rank faster than on average.
But then how many white shirts are there really (who are not close to retirement), who only have high-school and nothing else?

In the end though, everyone brings something different to the table, and no one is perfect or better than anyone else, just different.

P.S. To: theguynamedalex, huh, I don’t know what threads you have been reading, but I have seen many applicants get made fun of and slammed many times by virtually everyone, so I’m not too sure what exactly this lovey-dovey attitude that you mention is exactly. But sometimes there is support, since one can’t always be negative towards everyone. If the support is deserved then why not.

Now here are a few quotes:

Having a personal opinion is great. Believing that one’s personal opinion is absolute truth leads to most of the world’s troubles.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

People only see what they are prepared to see.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
- Socrates

Life is NOT "Supposed to be Fair." Know that there is no single way that life is "supposed" to be. Demanding that life meet our expectations is a sure fire recipe for a miserable existence. Life is a game with no rules. Life just happens to us regardless of our best intentions. Our only path to happiness lies in being open to receiving whatever life throws at us - with Gratitude. Have NO Expectations of life.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Beware the Rattlesnake of the Mind.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Powerful Dreams Inspire Powerful Action.
When you can taste, smell, and touch your dream, you can enroll the world.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Your example is far more influential and inspiring than any words of instruction, or threats, or even words of encouragement.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Scientia est potentia. Scio me nihil scire. Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. Vincit qui se vincit.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 pm

I will never understand why people get married without having their lives in order first.

Luke101
Rookie Member

Postby Luke101 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 pm

RJB wrote:I will never understand why people get married without having their lives in order first.

Sometimes you meet the right girl and you snatch her.

My wife and I didn't have our lives entirely together when we got married, but we married anyway and now we help each other toward our goals. I put her through teacher's college, she's supporting me through police applications, and in the end we make it work.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Luke101 wrote:
RJB wrote:I will never understand why people get married without having their lives in order first.

My wife and I didn't have our lives entirely together when we got married, but we married anyway and now we help each other toward our goals. I put her through teacher's college, she's supporting me through police applications, and in the end we make it work.
I give it 5 years tops.

Buffalo8
Rookie Member

Postby Buffalo8 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:08 pm

RJB wrote:
Luke101 wrote:

I give it 5 years tops.

Luke, I think that is a very touching story.

I look forward to hearing about your 50th wedding anniversary!
Scientia est potentia. Scio me nihil scire. Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. Vincit qui se vincit.

Luke101
Rookie Member

Postby Luke101 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:08 pm

RJB wrote:
Luke101 wrote:

I give it 5 years tops.

5 year anniversary was August. 7 years together was last week. And our daughter is 3.

I'll say this to everyone - my wife was my best friend before we got together. Best thing that ever happened to me. We like each other, enjoy time in each others' company, and are true partners on everything. Despite working multiple jobs, both of us being in school, and raising our little girl, our marriage has never been strained.

That said, I'm going to miss her if/when I go to training.

Edit: I almost forgot! Congratulations opp2. May you have many happy years together.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

BlueStripedPants
Rookie Member

Postby BlueStripedPants » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am

Edit: I almost forgot! Congratulations opp2. May you have many happy years together.

Ask her about her "Pissed Off Chicken" recipe :smirk:
Under-promise and over-deliver.