Peel Regional Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

azims
Sage Member

Re: Peel Regional Police

Postby azims » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 am

@ argyll6327
I doubt if we have any Peel coppers on this forum. You might want to contact Peel recruiting or attend one of their info. sessions....

argyll6327
Rookie Member

Postby argyll6327 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:58 am

azims wrote:@ argyll6327
I doubt if we have any Peel coppers on this forum. You might want to contact Peel recruiting or attend one of their info. sessions....
Many thanks for the reply, im currently outwith Canada so didnt want to jump the gun on contacting a recruiter, it would be a bit costly to attend an info session at the moment but its top of the to do list upon landing.

Im also looking to folks who are going through the process at the moment and thier comments, advice, tips etc

Diatomic

Postby Diatomic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Applied a week before the recruit constable deadline and was contacted saying my application is forwarded for assessment a few days ago.

Let the waiting game begin! :thumbsup:

FederalCX
Rookie Member

Postby FederalCX » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Diatomic wrote:Applied a week before the recruit constable deadline and was contacted saying my application is forwarded for assessment a few days ago.

After you submitted your online application we’re you required to submit additional paperwork (personal history form, COR , etc..) via email to them?

I applied aswell and in the past had to send in additional paperwork this time around they haven’t asked for it as of yet. Still waiting to hear...

otwobjj
Veteran Member

Postby otwobjj » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 pm

FederalCX wrote: After you submitted your online application we’re you required to submit additional paperwork (personal history form, COR , etc..) via email to them?

I applied aswell and in the past had to send in additional paperwork this time around they haven’t asked for it as of yet. Still waiting to hear...

They made changes to the process last year. They will ask for these things eventually.

Diatomic

Postby Diatomic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:17 pm

FederalCX wrote:
Diatomic wrote:Applied a week before the recruit constable deadline and was contacted saying my application is forwarded for assessment a few days ago.

After you submitted your online application we’re you required to submit additional paperwork (personal history form, COR , etc..) via email to them?

Otwobjj is correct. If their interested in you after viewing your online application they'll ask for transcripts/cor etc

a_christian
Rookie Member

Postby a_christian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 am

Hello everyone,

I had an amazing experience with Peel until today where I found out I did not pass my psych evaluation. Does anyone know about an appeals process or how the 1 year wait works? Is it from today? Or from when I had my psych interview?

Any advice would help!

KrissyA
Rookie Member

Postby KrissyA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 am

a_christian wrote:Hello everyone,

I had an amazing experience with Peel until today where I found out I did not pass my psych evaluation. Does anyone know about an appeals process or how the 1 year wait works? Is it from today? Or from when I had my psych interview?

Any advice would help!
Hey there! Sorry to hear about the news. I didn't pass the Psyc with Peel back in 2015 and it was from the day I had the interview with the psychologist. In case you didn't know, not passing the psyc screens you out of applying to any other service in Ontario for one year, not just peel. I know the news is disappointing but for me the year flew by very quickly but it definitely gave me the time to improve my skills/ resume to be more competitive the next time around. And not passing the psyc doesn't mean they think your crazy or anything, lol, sometimes it just has to do with maturity, I was 23 when I did my psyc with Peel. Its frustrating that they cant tell you exactly what went wrong. There is no appeal process as far as I know.

bunnel
King Poobah

Postby bunnel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

a_christian wrote:Hello everyone,

Any advice would help!
You want to "appeal" the results of your psych test?? :roll:

a_christian
Rookie Member

Postby a_christian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

a_christian wrote:
Hello everyone,

Any advice would help!

I guess "Appeal" isn't the right word I was looking for, I just wanted to get an understanding of where I faulted on this evaluation. Thanks for your advice KrissyA. This was tough news, but an opportunity to apply again in a year.

Diatomic

Postby Diatomic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

a_christian wrote:
a_christian wrote:
Hello everyone,

Any advice would help!

I guess "Appeal" isn't the right word I was looking for, I just wanted to get an understanding of where I faulted on this evaluation. Thanks for your advice KrissyA. This was tough news, but an opportunity to apply again in a year.
Unfortunately there's no way to know where you faulted or failed in. If they sent you a rejection email it likely states that they can't disclose this information. Try to self evaluate the experience and pick out anything you feel iffy on.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm

azims wrote:@ argyll6327
Doubt? Well, I'm here haha
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm

a_christian wrote:
a_christian wrote:
Hello everyone,

Any advice would help!

Hey man,

I am with Peel. Just got in last year after 6 years of applying across Ontario. I got in on my second try with Peel. I failed my Psych with Hamilton once when I was 23 years old. Here are some things I learned from that experience:

- You may not have really failed, but you may not compete with the remainder of the applicants. The psych may have felt the rest of the candidates were stronger or better suited for the job
- You may have failed it; if that is the case, go over the interview in your mind and try to look at it objectively. Try to figure out where you went wrong. It's delicate interview to say the least.
- I wouldn't go looking for answers from the service; they never hand out reasons for why you failed. They will likely give you the "we felt as if your application was no longer competitive"
- Depending on your age, it may be a maturity thing. The reality is the average recruit age now is mid to late 20's. Sometimes recruiters and psychs may feel as if you may benefit from another few years of life experience.

Hope this helps! I had to apply many many times before i got in across the province. Don't quit! Feel free to message me on here privately if you have any questions about Peel. I've only been on a year now, but due to my "Green" status i'm also familiar with the process as it relates to candidates in today's day.

EDIT: Also try to remember, at the psych stage there is only a small group of people left, and depending on hiring numbers, they may be very particular about whom they want/need.

You are welcome to message me if you have any questions buddy. At the end of the day, we all play on the same team. Any help I can provide I'm more than happy to supply (within the confines of what I can and cannot share of course) :)

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:32 pm

argyll6327 wrote:Good morning lads and lassies,

Im looking at a career in law enforcement upon my return to canada next year and just looking for some pointers and some advice from the senior members on this forum. Had a good look through many of the threads, theres alot to take in.

A little bit about myself, I immigrated to canada with my family from scotland in the summer of 2003 at the age of 15. We settled in owen sound and I attended high school there for 4 years( never graduated). I had always wanted to be a police officer but taking the academic route, college/university was never really an option for me a combination of immaturity and having spent 8 years in high school seen to that.

I returned to the uk aged 19 and joined the armed forces(infantry) completed and improved my high school education and received a couple of NVQs from a local college done through the school of infantry(basic training) I served for 5 years done the afghan thing and various smaller deployments kenya, the falklands etc. Grew up got married had a child and decided to move on(another in a long list of unwise life choices)

I moved into the contractor sector for a few years working maritime security in the gulf of aden as an armed guard for super yuachts and commercial shipping companies and the gulf of guniea as a liason officer to the togolease navy to combat piracy.

Im currently on the Island of Malta working as a direct hire diplomatic security officer for the department of state at the US embassy in valletta. I have updated my skills database through the years adding medical quals EMT-B, aswell as firearms instructor courses.

As i return to Canada with my own family at the age of 30 i wish to pursue my original career dreams as a police officer. Having read through the threads education and volunteer experience cmes up time and time again these a both areas lack on. Peel region is my prfered choice of force and the area I would like to raise my family due to the diversity of the populace.

I apreciate this is a long winded post and I thank you in advance for any comments or advice from the senior members and those who have completed the recruitment process more recently.
Don't see how it would hurt you to try.

Also, I went through training with an Englishman and and irishman fresh from their respective countries. Great guys. One of them is 25 and the other is 36. It's definitely possible. Give it a shot!

ROVER1991
Rookie Member

Postby ROVER1991 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 am

I always check over this thread, waiting for some updates, but it has been awfully dormant and quiet recently.
Just checking in on the rest of the PRP applicants, making sure everyone is out there still improving while waiting for their LFI/PBQ call like myself!

Do not forget to keep up your physical fitness!