Peel Regional Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
lkupernik
Rookie Member

Re: Peel Regional Police

Postby lkupernik » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 pm

GoodWitness wrote:Not sure I'm following you. The specs of the PIN test by age and gender are readily available, so you should be able to do it yourself and know how you'll do. If you passed the PREP I don't see how you can "fail" the PIN. What part of it do you think you're at risk on?

Thanks for your reply. Well the ATS PREP test differs from the PRP PIN test because the PIN test works on a point system and you gotta give it your absolute best. I passed the prep for the ATS but the beep test for the ATS stops at level 6.5 whereas for the PRP PIN test they will make you go until you fail. This is why I am worried. I've been practicing the beep test on my own 5 days a week but I don't really improve on it so I am just looking for some tips on improving. Also, I am doing 3 sets of max push ups 5 times a week but I can't improve on max reps for one set either. And finally I am just wondering whether passing the pin test is a must in order to get hired or I still have a chance to get hired regardless. Thanks!

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:18 pm

What targets do you need to hit for the PIN, though? It's age and gender based, so for example, what is your personal max reps on pushups versus the target? What is the goal for full points on the shuttle run? What level do you get to before you crash?

invictus
Rookie Member

Postby invictus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:34 pm

lkupernik wrote:
GoodWitness wrote:Not sure I'm following you. The specs of the PIN test by age and gender are readily available, so you should be able to do it yourself and know how you'll do. If you passed the PREP I don't see how you can "fail" the PIN. What part of it do you think you're at risk on?

Thanks for your reply. Well the ATS PREP test differs from the PRP PIN test because the PIN test works on a point system and you gotta give it your absolute best. I passed the prep for the ATS but the beep test for the ATS stops at level 6.5 whereas for the PRP PIN test they will make you go until you fail. This is why I am worried. I've been practicing the beep test on my own 5 days a week but I don't really improve on it so I am just looking for some tips on improving. Also, I am doing 3 sets of max push ups 5 times a week but I can't improve on max reps for one set either. And finally I am just wondering whether passing the pin test is a must in order to get hired or I still have a chance to get hired regardless. Thanks!

Hi Ikupernik,
If you pass the background stage and move to the pre-board fitness stage with Peel, you will be required to pass both your PREP (same PREP as ATS) and PIN all on the same day. To answer your question in the simplest terms, yes, you must pass both to be offered a final interview. It's not unheard of that someone who hasn't passed their PREP and PIN to still got an interview, but that's extremely rare.

Also, if you just get a 75% (75/100) on your PIN it's a pass but it won't go over well.

Hope that answers your question and best of luck going forward!

lkupernik
Rookie Member

Postby lkupernik » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:01 am

GoodWitness wrote:What targets do you need to hit for the PIN, though? It's age and gender based, so for example, what is your personal max reps on pushups versus the target? What is the goal for full points on the shuttle run? What level do you get to before you crash?

Hi again,

for the beep test I need to reach level 12 or higher in order to achieve max points, 50 or more push-ups, 3 minutes on the plank, and +45 flex trunk forward reach.

I am pulling a 7 on the beep test pushing myself really hard, I also struggle with the push-ups and the plank and I am just looking for ways to improve.

Cheers!

lkupernik
Rookie Member

Postby lkupernik » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:03 am

invictus wrote:
lkupernik wrote:

Hi Ikupernik,
If you pass the background stage and move to the pre-board fitness stage with Peel, you will be required to pass both your PREP (same PREP as ATS) and PIN all on the same day. To answer your question in the simplest terms, yes, you must pass both to be offered a final interview. It's not unheard of that someone who hasn't passed their PREP and PIN to still got an interview, but that's extremely rare.

Also, if you just get a 75% (75/100) on your PIN it's a pass but it won't go over well.

Hope that answers your question and best of luck going forward!

Hi there,

thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

If you read the previous post you will see which areas I struggle with and if you have any tips on how to improve I will highly appreciate it.

The physical is right around the corner so I am really trying to work hard and keeping my fingers crossed and in case I do fail I do hope to be one of those rare cases which you had mentioned about.

I will keep ya'll posted.

Thanks to all of you, cheers!

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:06 am

There's a website called 100pushups or something like that, do the routine that is in there instead of just max reps, it works. Running 5K several times a week at the same pace isn't going to improve your shuttle run performance, you should look into HIIT, it will improve your CV fitness more than just a regular 5K run.

From your targets you're one hell of a lot younger than I am, but a few years ago when I was seriously considering a career change (I'm not any more, too much of a financial hit for my family) I could get to the 6.5 on the shuttle and hit your targets on pushups and curl ups (not in the PIN anymore) and I am definitely no gym rat using HIIT and that website's routine.

Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result! Good luck!

lkupernik
Rookie Member

Postby lkupernik » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:09 am

GoodWitness wrote:There's a website called 100pushups or something like that, do the routine that is in there instead of just max reps, it works. Running 5K several times a week at the same pace isn't going to improve your shuttle run performance, you should look into HIIT, it will improve your CV fitness more than just a regular 5K run.

From your targets you're one hell of a lot younger than I am, but a few years ago when I was seriously considering a career change (I'm not any more, too much of a financial hit for my family) I could get to the 6.5 on the shuttle and hit your targets on pushups and curl ups (not in the PIN anymore) and I am definitely no gym rat using HIIT and that website's routine.

Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result! Good luck!

I will definitely look into that. Thanks a lot for your help!

invictus
Rookie Member

Postby invictus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:28 am

Yep - circuits/HIIT will definitely help you. As for the components, for the sit and reach you should be stretching every day for a absolute minimum of 10 minutes. This will help you improve your flexibility (provided you make time for this). The suspended plank requires you to engage your core (lower back, glutes, hamstrings and abs) so doing planks or any exercise that targets ALL (not just one) of those areas would be good. Regarding your push-ups, same thing - repetition is how you improve push-ups or exercises that target both your chest and triceps. Keep in mind that you may be a little tired from doing the PREP during your pre-board fitness test but that's why you have to push yourself (safely) so that you can still pass all components no matter what.

If you don't pass, you may get another opportunity to pass on another day but 1) That's not guaranteed 2) I wouldn't even have that in my mind and 3) It looks much better if you pass it on your first try since your fitness is one of the few things you have complete control over in this process.

Should you be successful, Peel's pre and post-OPC training is HIGHLY demanding. The PREP and PIN definitely aren't close to how intense the training is however, it's doable if you stay on top of your fitness.

Wishing you all the best.

lkupernik
Rookie Member

Postby lkupernik » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:42 am

invictus wrote:Yep - circuits/HIIT will definitely help you. As for the components, for the sit and reach you should be stretching every day for a absolute minimum of 10 minutes. This will help you improve your flexibility (provided you make time for this). The suspended plank requires you to engage your core (lower back, glutes, hamstrings and abs) so doing planks or any exercise that targets ALL (not just one) of those areas would be good. Regarding your push-ups, same thing - repetition is how you improve push-ups or exercises that target both your chest and triceps. Keep in mind that you may be a little tired from doing the PREP during your pre-board fitness test but that's why you have to push yourself (safely) so that you can still pass all components no matter what.

If you don't pass, you may get another opportunity to pass on another day but 1) That's not guaranteed 2) I wouldn't even have that in my mind and 3) It looks much better if you pass it on your first try since your fitness is one of the few things you have complete control over in this process.

Should you be successful, Peel's pre and post-OPC training is HIGHLY demanding. The PREP and PIN definitely aren't close to how intense the training is however, it's doable if you stay on top of your fitness.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you very much for that information. I really appreciate it

KrissyA
Rookie Member

Postby KrissyA » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Hey Everyone! Ive been following this thread for a while, just wondering if anyone has their pre board fitness test with Peel this month?

In depth Interview/MMPI psyc test- Aug 25/15
Psych interview- Sept 3/15
Pre Board fitness test- Sept 29
Home interview ..
Final Board interview ...

lkupernik
Rookie Member

Postby lkupernik » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi there,

sorry for the late reply, didn't log in since my last post.

I've got my physical next week :O super nervous, I hope I'll do well...

How about you?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:07 pm

What sort of score are they looking for on the PIN test?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

SierraKiloMike
Rookie Member

Postby SierraKiloMike » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:39 pm

mack_silent wrote:What sort of score are they looking for on the PIN test?

I would think minimum 75/100... or well that's usually the case with other services as far as I know.

KrissyA
Rookie Member

Postby KrissyA » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:10 am

lkupernik wrote:Hi there,

sorry for the late reply, didn't log in since my last post.

I've got my physical next week :O super nervous, I hope I'll do well...

How about you?

Good luck!! Mine is on the 29th I am nervous myself. I've been training for it I just hope I do Well

lkupernik
Rookie Member

Postby lkupernik » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 pm

less than 24 hours to go..lol

thanks a lot! I've been training as well, I hope it will show tomorrow.

Will keep you updated and I will also be able to give you some tips to prepare for once I'm done.

Take care for now :)