Peel Regional Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

peregrin8
Veteran Member

Peel Regional Police

Postby peregrin8 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:49 am

Has anyone attended their testing this month? The other Peel Regional Police thread hasn't seen much activity as of late.

I had testing last week and was surprised to see how many applicants showed up. There was easily over 100. They said there was a computer glitch that allowed too many applicants to apply, so they had to postpone PREP for half the applicants to a later day. Fortunately I passed the analytical and intelligence test and already had my PREP, so I was able to hand in my application right then and there.

I'm not even going to lie; the analytical test was probably the hardest police exam I've written to date. I'd say a good 1/3 of the applicants there failed, which is unfortunate. They even called the names out of all those who did not pass. There's no easy way to study for that test and time is definitely not on your side. Nobody failed the second test, but I didn't stick around to see how many were successful with PREP.

I don't expect much activity anytime soon, especially with the large pool of applicants, G20, etc., but it is nice to see that they've already contacted me to let me know my stuff is being reviewed.

hasselbaink
Rookie Member

Re: Peel Regional Police

Postby hasselbaink » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:01 pm

How long ago did you have to register for that test date

peregrin8
Veteran Member

Postby peregrin8 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:52 pm

January 2010. Everything is now booked till 2011 now.

gards
Rookie Member

Postby gards » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 pm

peregrin 8, I just finished my testing today with peel. They told us that they will not be hiring until 2011. The recruiters mentioned that people may recieve the first interview in 2010 but wil not be hired until 2011. Best of luck wih everything.

peregrin8
Veteran Member

Postby peregrin8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Thank you for the info. Best of luck to you, too.

TPS1D

Postby TPS1D » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm

I heard some bad news that Peel is on a hiring freeze which may not have intakes scheduled after the August class till maybe April 2011. Sorry to be the one who dropped the bad news! I heard from a friend who's on right now. All the best to everone, keep your heads up!

Roconne
Seasoned Member

Postby Roconne » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:27 pm

TPS1D wrote:I heard some bad news that Peel is on a hiring freeze which may not have intakes scheduled after the August class till maybe April 2011. Sorry to be the one who dropped the bad news! I heard from a friend who's on right now. All the best to everone, keep your heads up!
Even on peels site, they say they are no longer accepting applications until sometime in 2011.

theguynamedalex
Veteran Member

Postby theguynamedalex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Roconne wrote:
TPS1D wrote:I heard some bad news that Peel is on a hiring freeze which may not have intakes scheduled after the August class till maybe April 2011. Sorry to be the one who dropped the bad news! I heard from a friend who's on right now. All the best to everone, keep your heads up!
Even on peels site, they say they are no longer accepting applications until sometime in 2011.
I just checked and I didn't see it stated that they weren't taking applications until 2011, it only said that their test dates were full until 2011. This makes sense, because if you've been following their number of test days, they were booking into December a couple of weeks ago.

Unless this is stated elsewhere, I think you may have interpreted that incorrectly.

As for this thread, I passed the testing April 17th, handed my application in beginning of May, and am waiting to hear back.

Good luck to everyone.
"I don't know how to put this, but... I'm kind of a big deal!"

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Roconne wrote:
I heard the same thing from somebody I know who works for them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

TPS1D

Postby TPS1D » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:19 pm

theguynamedalex wrote:
Roconne wrote:
I just checked and I didn't see it stated that they weren't taking applications until 2011, it only said that their test dates were full until 2011. This makes sense, because if you've been following their number of test days, they were booking into December a couple of weeks ago.

Unless this is stated elsewhere, I think you may have interpreted that incorrectly.

As for this thread, I passed the testing April 17th, handed my application in beginning of May, and am waiting to hear back.

Good luck to everyone.
The "Rumor" has it that there was going to be a August class of 55 but 25 applicants have been denied before they got to the board... I hope for the sake of the people far along in the process this is just a rumor. I know how hard and discouraging it is to hear news like this, but if this is what you want you'll keep on going and not give up! Again, I hate being the being the person with the buzz kill but I just think that people should hear whats being said out there. (This is just what I've heard don't hold me to this just passing the info along)

Good luck everyone.

theguynamedalex
Veteran Member

Postby theguynamedalex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 pm

TPS1D wrote: The "Rumor" has it that there was going to be a August class of 55 but 25 applicants have been denied before they got to the board... I hope for the sake of the people far along in the process this is just a rumor. I know how hard and discouraging it is to hear news like this, but if this is what you want you'll keep on going and not give up! Again, I hate being the being the person with the buzz kill but I just think that people should hear whats being said out there. (This is just what I've heard don't hold me to this just passing the info along)

Good luck everyone.
I understand, my reply was in reference to the comment regarding the website.

I hope that you don't take offense to this, but it doesn't really matter what anyone is saying with regards to the number of people taken on or if classes are being canceled. If they want to hire you, then they will hire you. It is that simple. It may take time, but it will happen as long as you have the persistence to see it through.

Out of curiosity, do you know why the 25 applicants were denied prior to getting to the board? Was it because of a lack of funding or a hiring freeze, or merely because they weren't suitable?

TPS1D

Postby TPS1D » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 am

Not to sure why that happend I would guess it would be due to budget. I went through this with TPS during the last year due to thier budget, it sucked! I have many good friends on with Peel and 1 going in August also know many that either did their test and waiting to hear back or have their tests booked in the next coming months. But, it shall pass and they will start up their hiring machine again!

gards
Rookie Member

Postby gards » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 pm

When I was there doing the testing the other day, the recruiters said they have hired their compliment for 2010. They went on to say that they are hiring for 2011 at this time, so anyone in the process will take longer then they normally do.

theguynamedalex
Veteran Member

Postby theguynamedalex » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:44 pm

TPS1D wrote:Not to sure why that happend I would guess it would be due to budget.
Speculation without validation can be dangerous. I'm not saying that you are wrong, as you very well might not be, but you should probably know before you post opinion as fact. 25 of 55 new hires being denied before making it to the board could be because they weren't suitable candidates, for any number of reasons.

Often people do not like to face the possibility that they are weaker candidates and chalk their failures to not being a "visible minority", or being the victim of the budget.

Again I'm going to say, "Don't worry about what you cannot control, worry only about what you can." This means that I think you should try to look at yourself and identify what you can do to improve. Don't worry about anything that is beyond your control.

TPS1D

Postby TPS1D » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 am

theguynamedalex wrote:
TPS1D wrote:Not to sure why that happend I would guess it would be due to budget.
Speculation without validation can be dangerous. I'm not saying that you are wrong, as you very well might not be, but you should probably know before you post opinion as fact. 25 of 55 new hires being denied before making it to the board could be because they weren't suitable candidates, for any number of reasons.

Often people do not like to face the possibility that they are weaker candidates and chalk their failures to not being a "visible minority", or being the victim of the budget.

Again I'm going to say, "Don't worry about what you cannot control, worry only about what you can." This means that I think you should try to look at yourself and identify what you can do to improve. Don't worry about anything that is beyond your control.
Oh, I have no idea if the reason is budget this is just my guess. I was told those people that were gonna be sent to the board but were not becasue of the temporary freeze. These people probably didn't even know they were getting a board date yet. These people probably don't even know that they were going to be sent to the board yet but I'm sure that their files would be put off to the side and called when they secure 2011 classes.

I'm not in the Peel Process, BTW... Again just passing info...