Ask an NSO

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:05 pm

wonka1990 wrote:Anyone know when the next recruitment for NRF is gonna be?


Around August (for OPG), from my colleagues who work there said.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Gaoler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 pm

how does one apply to be a nso and the requirements?
Gaoler

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Gaoler wrote:how does one apply to be a nso and the requirements?


I would say search, since you know, the job ads have been posted before, along with the general requirements that are always mentioned in ads. But since I am feeling nice right now, here is a current ad for NSO up at Chalk River (AECL)

http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/ ... ber=656725

The requirements are pretty much the same whether its Bruce/OPG/AECL. For all organizations you have to keep you eye on their respective job sites and apply when the job is posted. As well if you apply and they like you as a candidate, you better be fit now, they don't give much lead time to get in shape (ie, send an email/call you and say you are testing within the next week or two). Also, for OPG unless you have a background with a police service or the military (preferably with overseas experience), you don't really have a chance at the moment, if all you have is your 2yr PF diploma, a RPAL, and sometime working at a mall or something. AECL/Bruce are more open now, but they only hire casual/part timers (to start) since they have had their teams up and running for sometime now.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Gaoler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:05 pm

48highlander wrote:
Gaoler wrote:how does one apply to be a nso and the requirements?


I would say search, since you know, the job ads have been posted before, along with the general requirements that are always mentioned in ads. But since I am feeling nice right now, here is a current ad for NSO up at Chalk River (AECL)

http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/ ... ber=656725

The requirements are pretty much the same whether its Bruce/OPG/AECL. For all organizations you have to keep you eye on their respective job sites and apply when the job is posted. As well if you apply and they like you as a candidate, you better be fit now, they don't give much lead time to get in shape (ie, send an email/call you and say you are testing within the next week or two). Also, for OPG unless you have a background with a police service or the military (preferably with overseas experience), you don't really have a chance at the moment, if all you have is your 2yr PF diploma, a RPAL, and sometime working at a mall or something. AECL/Bruce are more open now, but they only hire casual/part timers (to start) since they have had their teams up and running for sometime now.


hi 48highlander, are you a nso?
thanks for the vine!

what other web sites can i use to search for nso jobs? what are Bruce/OPG/AECL?

btw, i am a correctional officer, you think that would help in terms of my application?

thanks, gaoler
Gaoler

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Gaoler wrote:
48highlander wrote:
Gaoler wrote:how does one apply to be a nso and the requirements?


I would say search, since you know, the job ads have been posted before, along with the general requirements that are always mentioned in ads. But since I am feeling nice right now, here is a current ad for NSO up at Chalk River (AECL)

http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/ ... ber=656725

The requirements are pretty much the same whether its Bruce/OPG/AECL. For all organizations you have to keep you eye on their respective job sites and apply when the job is posted. As well if you apply and they like you as a candidate, you better be fit now, they don't give much lead time to get in shape (ie, send an email/call you and say you are testing within the next week or two). Also, for OPG unless you have a background with a police service or the military (preferably with overseas experience), you don't really have a chance at the moment, if all you have is your 2yr PF diploma, a RPAL, and sometime working at a mall or something. AECL/Bruce are more open now, but they only hire casual/part timers (to start) since they have had their teams up and running for sometime now.


hi 48highlander, are you a nso?
thanks for the vine!

what other web sites can i use to search for nso jobs? what are Bruce/OPG/AECL?

btw, i am a correctional officer, you think that would help in terms of my application?

thanks, gaoler


No ToyCopp is the only NSO I know that post(ed) regularly around here. I have been trying to get on for a while, and have contacts on the inside. Bruce Power, OPG (Ontario Power Generation), AECL (Atomic Energy of Canada Limited) are the locations in Ontario that employ NSO's. You need to check their websites. As for being a CO, I have no clue, I guess that would count as Industrial Security experience or something, its stronger than being mall cop straight of college thats for sure. Right now OPG's preference is for police/mil, mainly since they intend to only hire (from what my contacts have told me) Armed NSO's, so people who have prior job related weapons training in high threat/stress environments have the edge.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Gaoler » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 am

hi 48hl, what sort of background do you have?

how much do nso's get paid to start?
Gaoler

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Gaoler wrote:hi 48hl, what sort of background do you have?

how much do nso's get paid to start?


11 years Army reserve (Infantry), various courses, tour to the sandbox, RPAL, some security work and post secondary. Pay I think is around 27-28hr to start.

Bonvoyage012
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Bonvoyage012 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:33 am

Does anyone have any authentic information regarding the timelines of an upcoming hiring, this year?

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Bonvoyage012 wrote:Does anyone have any authentic information regarding the timelines of an upcoming hiring, this year?


My friend at OPG (Armed NSO) told me sometime in the fall, no specific dates yet.

Bonvoyage012
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Bonvoyage012 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks bud; appreciate the info.

tk401
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby tk401 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am

Any new word as to when a new posting may come up for opg?

Pete89
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Pete89 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 am

Has anybody applied for the position that closed last Thursday for the Bruce Plant?

Sgt-at-arms
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 am
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Sgt-at-arms » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:08 am

My buddy (military) applied to be an NSO and was told by one of the psychologists that ex-mil types don't always do well on the NSO psych exam/interviews. (My buddy did well on the psych tests btw). Apparently there can be a perceived clash between the military's greater reliance on a lethal ROE culture vs more desired customer service NSO skill set. Also heard there are PTSD concerns the shrinks try and flush out with the military applicants.

Just wondering if anyone knows if these are legit obstacles for the military applicants.

ToyCopp
Regular Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby ToyCopp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Sgt-at-arms wrote:My buddy (military) applied to be an NSO and was told by one of the psychologists that ex-mil types don't always do well on the NSO psych exam/interviews. (My buddy did well on the psych tests btw). Apparently there can be a perceived clash between the military's greater reliance on a lethal ROE culture vs more desired customer service NSO skill set. Also heard there are PTSD concerns the shrinks try and flush out with the military applicants.

Just wondering if anyone knows if these are legit obstacles for the military applicants.


I can tell you right now that is absolute bullshit.

brihard
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby brihard » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 pm

I smell BS as well. No HR professional would risk their professional standing by presuming psychological disorders outside of solid indications thereof.
Regular member


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Cattivo, Politegentleman, SemrushBot and 12 guests