Ask an NSO

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby RemingtonSteel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:06 am

They pay well, so it is a very popular place for applicants and as a result they can pick and choose who they want.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Oleg wrote:
48highlander wrote:
RemingtonSteel wrote:I saw the posting, for "armed NSO", I'm curious, is that regular security officers who will now carry or is that for the NRF?

Toycopp can correct if he isn't violating any opsec. But my take is its for regular security, but carrying firearms. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life before.

The Physical test minimum seems a bit high for a regular security, minimum 9 on 20m shuttle run, 31 pushups and 37 curl ups or has this always been like this?

No the regular security test involves a lot of speed walking and other weirdness. I take it those standards are what you got in your in email?

Oleg
Rookie Member

Postby Oleg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Yea that`s what I got so I think it`s for NRSF.

I checked the postion details again and I`m pretty sure it`s that.

Job overview:
This is an opportunity to become a member of an armed and tactically trained Nuclear Security Response Team.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Oleg wrote:Yea that`s what I got so I think it`s for NRSF.

I checked the postion details again and I`m pretty sure it`s that.

Job overview:
This is an opportunity to become a member of an armed and tactically trained Nuclear Security Response Team.

Yeah I guess the are calling it "Armed NSO" until DRPS leaves completely. A little surprised they started send out test invites before the job call is even finished, sucks for me and everyone over here throwing our applications.

Oleg
Rookie Member

Postby Oleg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Any idea how much training is involved and how long it would be?

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Oleg wrote:Any idea how much training is involved and how long it would be?

The guy from my unit was in training for almost 4 months (april-aug), whats involved, no clue (I never asked, cause he wouldn't be able to tell anyways, OPSEC and all that), but I imagine a lot of firearms training and PT.

rtseager
Rookie Member

Postby rtseager » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:03 pm

48highlander wrote:
rtseager wrote:I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the fitness testing for OPG. I understand it's more intense then police testing but I haven't been able to find any info on it. Any info would be beneficial.

Then you haven't searched this site because it has been covered.

Then maybe you could point me in the direction of where my question has been answered. I have searched the site for an answer but haven't been able to find any information. After I received your reply, I again did a search and to no avail was successful. I'm merely asking if you or anyone else can point me in the direction as to where I can get my question answered.

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:33 pm

rtseager wrote:
48highlander wrote:
rtseager wrote:I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the fitness testing for OPG. I understand it's more intense then police testing but I haven't been able to find any info on it. Any info would be beneficial.

Then maybe you could point me in the direction of where my question has been answered. I have searched the site for an answer but haven't been able to find any information. After I received your reply, I again did a search and to no avail was successful. I'm merely asking if you or anyone else can point me in the direction as to where I can get my question answered.

If your inshape and have a sharp mind then dont worry about it.

Roconne
Rookie Member

Postby Roconne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:41 pm

rtseager wrote:
48highlander wrote:

Well did you search this thread?

viewtopic.php?p=491252#p491252

Why worry about it now though? If you are invited to the testing, they will tell you what needs to be done.

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:55 am

What is the tac team for?what situation do you deal with on a daily basis?
:wave:

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 am

Code44 wrote:What is the tac team for?what situation do you deal with on a daily basis?

The Tac Teams are mandated by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, after 9/11 they came to the conclusion our nuke plants had very very lax security. Basically the tac teams are there to repel a terrorist assualt/attempt to steal nuclear materials. There was a blueline article about the Bruce Power Tac Team, that explains in more detail the evolution of tac teams at nuke plants.

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 am

Ah gotcha but as a regular officer what are some of the things you deal with?
:wave:

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 am

Code44 wrote:Ah gotcha but as a regular officer what are some of the things you deal with?

I dunno Toycop?

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Access control Access control Access control Access control Access control Access control
Other then that read around on the internet the duties of an NSO.

wonka1990
Seasoned Member

Postby wonka1990 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Anyone know when the next recruitment for NRF is gonna be?
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.