Ask an NSO

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
5-0
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 5-0 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Does anyone know what Bruce Power's fitness testing consists of?

0010010
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 0010010 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:04 am

Probably the PIN test. 1.5 mile run, pushups, situps and flexibility

hl_spec
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby hl_spec » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm

How do the shifts work?.... Mon - Fri?? or x days on - x days off???

And is this both for OPG and Bruce?

PaulMcG
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby PaulMcG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:55 pm

edit;

Around what time of year does OPG recruit and how many tests and interviews will I need to go through? I'm in the military and posted to Edmonton, so coming back repeatedly for testing isn't an option.
Last edited by PaulMcG on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 pm

5-0 wrote:Does anyone know what Bruce Power's fitness testing consists of?


PIN test with 1.5 mile run, you have to score 80% or better for you age and sex.

ToyCopp
Regular Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby ToyCopp » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 am

hl_spec wrote:How do the shifts work?.... Mon - Fri?? or x days on - x days off???

And is this both for OPG and Bruce?


The shifts sometimes make you contemplate suicide if it means getting them overwith.
Depending the post your at and the platoon your with.
Other then that its your general rotation of days, afts and mids in 3 months.

nukeninja
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby nukeninja » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Toycopp, maybe you can field this one

Why the sudden cancellation of the last posting for "NRF qualified NSO's" ?
I received an email from my recruiter stating that even though my file is complete that I would have to reapply to the new posting coming up in Sept which is now called
"Armed NSO"

Several questions come to mind.

1. Is this sudden cancellation of said posting due to the fact that DRPS NSRF still has a contract with OPG until the end of 2010? and thus the reason for holding off on "external" hires?
If so, why make an applicant reapply and wait for a start date seven months after (sometime in March 2011) making original applicants jump through hoops again AND have their file compete with any new applicants? I understand this most likely is an HR requirement but don't you think it may deter some decent applicants who applied to the original posting?, just seems counter productive to me.

2. Is the reasoning behind renaming the new posting from NRF to Armed NSO due to the fact that OPG has been toying with the idea of having a two-tiered armed officer system, level one being
regular NSO's armed with sidearms and level 2 being full tac NSOs?

I mean no sarcasm or disrespect towards OPG in my posting, I have been through MANY recruitment competitions in the past and am well aware that there are many factors to consider, just hoping you can shed some light on the recent changes.

Thanks

Nuker

ToyCopp
Regular Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby ToyCopp » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 pm

nukeninja wrote:Toycopp, maybe you can field this one

Why the sudden cancellation of the last posting for "NRF qualified NSO's" ?
I received an email from my recruiter stating that even though my file is complete that I would have to reapply to the new posting coming up in Sept which is now called
"Armed NSO"

Several questions come to mind.

1. Is this sudden cancellation of said posting due to the fact that DRPS NSRF still has a contract with OPG until the end of 2010? and thus the reason for holding off on "external" hires?
If so, why make an applicant reapply and wait for a start date seven months after (sometime in March 2011) making original applicants jump through hoops again AND have their file compete with any new applicants? I understand this most likely is an HR requirement but don't you think it may deter some decent applicants who applied to the original posting?, just seems counter productive to me.

2. Is the reasoning behind renaming the new posting from NRF to Armed NSO due to the fact that OPG has been toying with the idea of having a two-tiered armed officer system, level one being
regular NSO's armed with sidearms and level 2 being full tac NSOs?

I mean no sarcasm or disrespect towards OPG in my posting, I have been through MANY recruitment competitions in the past and am well aware that there are many factors to consider, just hoping you can shed some light on the recent changes.

Thanks

Nuker




I hear what your saying Nuker and let me just say that right now what your going thru you aren’t alone. This has never happen in our history of recruiting. We are one of the last outfits that do in house testing (no ATS) and our own interviewing and training. This is as much a shock to me as it is to you.
Right now there is not much I can comment on because I don’t know what exactly is going on. All I know is that the selection process seems to be changing every year. Also I have heard rumours that there is too many of us. Like I said I’m not sure but as soon as I hear concrete information that isn’t confidential I will pass it on.

ToyCopp
Regular Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby ToyCopp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:27 am

Wow....yeah ummm posting is up now.

User avatar
RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:43 pm

I saw the posting, for "armed NSO", I'm curious, is that regular security officers who will now carry or is that for the NRF?
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:02 am

RemingtonSteel wrote:I saw the posting, for "armed NSO", I'm curious, is that regular security officers who will now carry or is that for the NRF?


Toycopp can correct if he isn't violating any opsec. But my take is its for regular security, but carrying firearms. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life before.

rtseager
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby rtseager » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 pm

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the fitness testing for OPG. I understand it's more intense then police testing but I haven't been able to find any info on it. Any info would be beneficial.

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby 48highlander » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:56 pm

rtseager wrote:I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the fitness testing for OPG. I understand it's more intense then police testing but I haven't been able to find any info on it. Any info would be beneficial.


Then you haven't searched this site because it has been covered.

Oleg
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: At home
Contact:

Re: Ask an NSO

Postby Oleg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:55 am

48highlander wrote:
RemingtonSteel wrote:I saw the posting, for "armed NSO", I'm curious, is that regular security officers who will now carry or is that for the NRF?


Toycopp can correct if he isn't violating any opsec. But my take is its for regular security, but carrying firearms. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life before.


The Physical test minimum seems a bit high for a regular security, minimum 9 on 20m shuttle run, 31 pushups and 37 curl ups or has this always been like this?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests