Halton Regional Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

SierraKiloMike

Re: Halton Regional Police

Postby SierraKiloMike » Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm handing in my hard copies tomorrow, anyone here currently in the process for HRPS??

JaneneF

Postby JaneneF » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am

Not yet, but soon (hopefully). I met one of the recruiters a few weeks ago and he is fantastic. I hope I get him when I am in the process

Sully1990

Postby Sully1990 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:46 pm

mcgrath wrote:I'm handing in my hard copies tomorrow, anyone here currently in the process for HRPS??
I just had my LFI yesterday, should know in a week if I was successful.

Anyone else in the process? They seem to move applicants on crazy fast, (Maybe because i'm just used to the wait times for rcmp Versus Ontario!) was told
They're hiring for December intake.

LFI was great but very thorough and tough, made the RCMP RMSI (which is competency based) seem like a casual conversation. Maybe its just the type of interviewing style but you definitely get the feeling your on the defensive the whole Interview and they will call you out on any sugar coating or stuttering which is good so be prepared to lay it all out there. (Heard this about many GTA services). Good luck in the process.
RCMP - Ottawa Area
RPAB - Oct/5/13
Selection Package - Nov/19/13
RMAQ - Jan/14
RMSI - March/14
Poly - June/17/14
Poly recommended - July/27/14
Background - Aug/5/14
Medical - Sept/18th/2014
FR - Complete. Dec/2/14
SC - January/21/2015
Troop 25!

futrpc5.11
Rookie Member

Postby futrpc5.11 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:44 pm

hey Sully1990,

I just handed in my hard-copies a few days ago. how long did you wait until you got an invite for the PBQ (they emailed me saying I should have an answer in about 10 business days)?

also, for your LFI, did you prep by reading local news and whatnot? and was it actually useful?

when i had spoken to the recruiter, they told me its nothing to worry about as long you read up on local facts ... what areas they police, who the chief is and so forth. that true?

thanks!! :)
OPP - App: Oct 2015, LFI: Dec 2015

Sully1990

Postby Sully1990 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:45 am

futrpc5.11 wrote:hey Sully1990,

I just handed in my hard-copies a few days ago. how long did you wait until you got an invite for the PBQ (they emailed me saying I should have an answer in about 10 business days)?

also, for your LFI, did you prep by reading local news and whatnot? and was it actually useful?

when i had spoken to the recruiter, they told me its nothing to worry about as long you read up on local facts ... what areas they police, who the chief is and so forth. that true?

Took a few weeks for PBQ, about a month from PBQ date to LFI date. Fairly fast,

I was regrettably deferred the next business day after my LFI. (yesterday!) As were two of my friends. One of which knows 3 languages, honours degree, and has literally built communities, ground up. Not going to lie to you its one tough interview, and I couldn't tell you what they are looking for.

Id love to give you all the juicy details but unfortunately i'm sure I signed something with effect to confidentially. LFI has a very wide scope, expect to go over your background as well. Everything's fair game. If you give examples of local competencies make sure you're not exaggerating, downplaying or plain making stuff up. You will be asked for every detail. (that includes giving up names of rape victims and young offenders under the YCJA for me which is a direct violation of my confidentially agreements I signed) but they are relentless in details (for obvious reasons) so be prepared to back it up.

As for website, yes know about the service in general, all of which can be found on wikipedia and a bit of googling. Search google news with Halton police, mapquest a bit etc. This will help.

Back to the RCMP thread for me! That's where i'll hopefully know if I made it past the poly onto the last steps and what im know focusing my efforts on.

Best of luck with your interview sorry I couldn't provide more!
RCMP - Ottawa Area
RPAB - Oct/5/13
RMAQ - Jan/14
RMSI - March/14
Poly - June/17/14
Background - Aug/5/14
Medical - Sept/18th/2014
FR - Complete. Dec/2/14
SC - January/21/2015
Troop 25!

JaneneF

Postby JaneneF » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am

Sully1990 wrote:

Took a few weeks for PBQ, about a month from PBQ date to LFI date. Fairly fast,

I was regrettably deferred the next business day after my LFI. (yesterday!) As were two of my friends. One of which knows 3 languages, honours degree, and has literally built communities, ground up. Not going to lie to you its one tough interview, and I couldn't tell you what they are looking for.

Id love to give you all the juicy details but unfortunately i'm sure I signed something with effect to confidentially. LFI has a very wide scope, expect to go over your background as well. Everything's fair game. If you give examples of local competencies make sure you're not exaggerating, downplaying or plain making stuff up. You will be asked for every detail. (that includes giving up names of rape victims and young offenders under the YCJA for me which is a direct violation of my confidentially agreements I signed) but they are relentless in details (for obvious reasons) so be prepared to back it up.

As for website, yes know about the service in general, all of which can be found on wikipedia and a bit of googling. Search google news with Halton police, mapquest a bit etc. This will help.

Back to the RCMP thread for me! That's where i'll hopefully know if I made it past the poly onto the last steps and what im know focusing my efforts on.

I can't help but feel like a lamb to slaughter, lol. Of course, I haven't applied yet (waiting on my COR results) but I think I'm going to start reading now!

futrpc5.11
Rookie Member

Postby futrpc5.11 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Sully1990 wrote: Took a few weeks for PBQ, about a month from PBQ date to LFI date. Fairly fast,

thats ok, no worries... that did help, at least a little. thanks!!

when you say that you were deferred, what do you mean? as in like ... you are not being considered anymore or they told you have to wait till later in the year? that sucks in any case. sorry to hear! hope you have more luck with the mounties...

Iamthelast
Rookie Member

Postby Iamthelast » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Sully1990 wrote:
You will be asked for every detail. (that includes giving up names of rape victims and young offenders under the YCJA for me which is a direct violation of my confidentially agreements I signed) but they are relentless in details (for obvious reasons) so be prepared to back it up.
Even in an interview, regardless if it's a police interview, it is not a good idea to break the law in giving your answers. Ie. if you were ordered by the court or legal document not to disclose certain information in a particular case to anyone, you should abide by it. ESPECIALLY, in the police interview.... they may push for it in an attempt to see if you will provide it (that is part of their job). But I would hold my ground and a sufficient answer should be, that Legislation X or Court Order Y does not allow me to disclose information and they should accept that as appropriate. After all, you are interviewing to become a police officer, why would you want to and they would not want you (one would hope) to break the law/court direction in your interview???? They can find out the information without you breaking the law if they want to. Now, that said, you may be required to provide a different example of which you can provide all the needed details.

Not suggesting this is the reason you got deferred, but think about it. Logic says, you should not break the law in an attempt to become a police officer who is required to uphold the law.

Just my thoughts.

futrpc5.11
Rookie Member

Postby futrpc5.11 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Iamthelast wrote:
Sully1990 wrote:
You will be asked for every detail. (that includes giving up names of rape victims and young offenders under the YCJA for me which is a direct violation of my confidentially agreements I signed) but they are relentless in details (for obvious reasons) so be prepared to back it up.
Even in an interview, regardless if it's a police interview, it is not a good idea to break the law in giving your answers. Ie. if you were ordered by the court or legal document not to disclose certain information in a particular case to anyone, you should abide by it. ESPECIALLY, in the police interview.... they may push for it in an attempt to see if you will provide it (that is part of their job). But I would hold my ground and a sufficient answer should be, that Legislation X or Court Order Y does not allow me to disclose information and they should accept that as appropriate. After all, you are interviewing to become a police officer, why would you want to and they would not want you (one would hope) to break the law/court direction in your interview???? They can find out the information without you breaking the law if they want to. Now, that said, you may be required to provide a different example of which you can provide all the needed details.

Not suggesting this is the reason you got deferred, but think about it. Logic says, you should not break the law in an attempt to become a police officer who is required to uphold the law.

Just my thoughts.
thats a good point! i was thinking about this as I read the reply... i've signed secrecy clauses in the past, and wouldnt disclose classified information, even if it meant it had negative impact - which it probably would. but for me, and oath of secrecy is an oath of secrecy, no matter what. unless the COURT ordered it and i was given permission by the head of the state, i wouldnt disclose it. if thats what would disqualife me, then that just sucks... :)

but good point overall though!!

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 pm

If you can't go into details about it due to confidentiality issues, then why would you bother using it as an example for anything???
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 pm

The one rule about fight club...
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Sully1990

Postby Sully1990 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 am

meathead1 wrote:If you can't go into details about it due to confidentiality issues, then why would you bother using it as an example for anything???
I can go into extensive details, I could even provide first and last initials of the person involved, locations, dates, names of co-workers witnessing just not full names themselves.
Its the entire past 4 years of my life, hard not to use it for examples. Working with High-risk kids aged 12-17. Everything from cutting nooses off thier necks seconds before its too late, reconnecting them with nunavut culture - its my go to for competencies. I just signed an all encomposing agreement not to disclose names unless for professional purposes.

And yeah in reference to the above I definitely thought of that, which is why i made it clear that the only way I was giving up names was if the interviewer was asking as a police officer and that the only way to complete the interview was to give names. At that point I think if they were testing me they wouldve said so.

Interesting concept, but no I dont think that is the reason I was deferred at all. Would certainly help my pride lol, but im willing to accept I just wasnt they were looking for.

Good luck to everybody, have those details ready.
RCMP - Ottawa Area
RPAB - Oct/5/13
RMAQ - Jan/14
RMSI - March/14
Poly - June/17/14
Background - Aug/5/14
Medical - Sept/18th/2014
FR - Complete. Dec/2/14
SC - January/21/2015
Troop 25!

tsal
Rookie Member

Personal Interview

Postby tsal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Hey All,

I posted a while back about ATS testing and wow has the process been moving! I have been notified of my Personal Interview date with Halton and based on what I have read this makes me special since not everyone gets to this point :thumbsup: :D ...the road ahead is still long but to do my best to continue on this road I would LOVE LOVE LOVE any advice for this first interview round. I am sure this has been discussed but all I have seen in the forum is that it is tough. As a current teacher I am used to going into interviews with a pocket full of experiences and a binder of concrete examples...is it fair to say policing is the same? It sounds like a more formal, robot like process?

Thanks a bunch! :wave:

futrpc5.11
Rookie Member

Re: Personal Interview

Postby futrpc5.11 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:31 pm

tsal wrote:Hey All,
I posted a while back about ATS testing and wow has the process been moving! I have been notified of my Personal Interview date with Halton and based on what I have read this makes me special since not everyone gets to this point :thumbsup: :D ...the road ahead is still long but to do my best to continue on this road I would LOVE LOVE LOVE any advice for this first interview round. I am sure this has been discussed but all I have seen in the forum is that it is tough. As a current teacher I am used to going into interviews with a pocket full of experiences and a binder of concrete examples...is it fair to say policing is the same? It sounds like a more formal, robot like process?
Thanks a bunch! :wave:
Hey tsal,

I'm still in the early stages with Halton, so I dont really have any useful advice to offer. But, I was curious, did you already do your PBQ meeting with them?

Personal Interview = PBQ or LFI?

Only asking cause I believe that Halton's process is PBQ -> LFI -> ECI -> .... etc

Thanks!!

tsal
Rookie Member

Postby tsal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am

This will be my PBQ...thank you for the clarification of acronyms...you wouldn't believe what google gave me lol.