TPS Parking Enforcement

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mleo87
Rookie Member

Re: TPS Parking Enforcement

Postby mleo87 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 pm

devilwoman wrote:I agree and disagree.

I know one thing. I couldn't do it.

I would appreciate your opinion on the matter as to why you may disagree with a PEO carrying a baton (let's assume that proper training/certification would be given to carry it). Could you explain further?

Cheers.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:57 pm

No worries. I don't mind explaining. I will say, first off, that I have some very good friends at TPS parking (no applicants I can not help you or answer q's - Sorry) and other municipalities working in various levels of By Law. So if any part of my post comes off negatively, it's not from lack of respect or anything of that nature. There is zero intention to be rude.

Why do I agree?

Well, pretty simple, it's a rough job. People hate receiving parking infractions more than anything in this life. They will think nothing of shoving a PEO, trying to run them down, and belittling them on a daily basis. For that reason, I think they should have some options as protection. I mean, security is allowed to carry a baton, I see no reason why parking shouldn't. Lord knows, they are more likely to find themselves in a physical confrontation than most security.

Why do I disagree?

Well, for the same reasons I agree. My concerns do not stem from a training aspect (not real hard to add a day in for baton use and u of f continuum), but for the overall atmosphere towards LE.

We've seen TPS officers surrounded by a large crowd and pelted with projectiles. That crowd had zero fear of consequences or that they were assaulting police.

U of G officers have also faced this and they are sworn and carrying batons and OC. Again, zero f&$£'s given. TTC officers had same issue. Universities and transit are facing this constantly.

Now let's talk PEO and how much people hate getting tickets. All you need is a group of people to take on the same mentality as examples above when dealing with a parking officer and now that officer, who works alone (campuses and transit tend to have the Calvary close) and its a recipe for a disarming and beat down with their own baton. TPS rolls quickly when parking calls for help, but bad things can still happen.

So I'm torn. When I was security and worked by myself and carried a baton, I always had it in the back of my mind if something went south I could be disarmed and have my baton used against me. And I didn't have the distractions of trying to avoid cars, cyclists, angry people while going about my job. I was able to do a quick perimeter in my vehicle before doing my job. Parking doesn't have that advantage, especially in Toronto.

So I guess you can say I'm torn.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 am

Oops, wrong thread...
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

johalmon
Rookie Member

Postby johalmon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Hello,

did anyone in the background stage receive a call from the background officer?

sid1330
Rookie Member

Postby sid1330 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:59 pm

to go over the questions? yes i did about a month ago

johalmon
Rookie Member

Postby johalmon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi Sid1330,

I am assuming you were the first batch of individuals contacted for the interview/background stages.

I was the second batch after the Pan Am games. Submitted my background papers in last week.

sid1330
Rookie Member

Postby sid1330 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Yeah i was with the first bunch. As far as i know they'll be letting us know within the next couple weeks

johalmon
Rookie Member

Postby johalmon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:30 pm

That is good to hear sid1330

I guess the first batch will be notified first!

I was told when I went to hand in my paperwork last week, that applicants will be notified by end of November.

How long did it take them to contact your references? Were they all contacted on the same day?

Thanks!

Morlu
Rookie Member

Postby Morlu » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 pm

johalmon wrote:That is good to hear sid1330

I guess the first batch will be notified first!

I was told when I went to hand in my paperwork last week, that applicants will be notified by end of November.

How long did it take them to contact your references? Were they all contacted on the same day?

Thanks!

It takes awhile. You won't even know your background started until a background officer contacts you. I believe the class starts in December and there's only 1 this year. There was 2 last year, one in December and April. Good luck, it's a good job and if you don't like it there's options to internally transfer within the service.

LEOchick
Rookie Member

Postby LEOchick » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Anybody got further than background check? :shock:

sid1330
Rookie Member

Postby sid1330 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:31 am

Just an update, today I got the call informing me I am one of the selected applicants for the December class. I hope others hear news swiftly and goodluck to everyone still waiting.

Kathryn030315
Rookie Member

Postby Kathryn030315 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:07 pm

sid1330 wrote:Just an update, today I got the call informing me I am one of the selected applicants for the December class. I hope others hear news swiftly and goodluck to everyone still waiting.

Did they contact your references? I was part of the 2nd group of interviews - still waiting to hear back, and as far as I know references haven't been called yet. Congrats to you! Hopefully I'll know soon :P

LEOchick
Rookie Member

Postby LEOchick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Congrats!!!:)wohooooo

naumandanish
Rookie Member

Postby naumandanish » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:10 pm

sid1330 wrote:Just an update, today I got the call informing me I am one of the selected applicants for the December class. I hope others hear news swiftly and goodluck to everyone still waiting.

congratulations sid1330.

I believe I will be joining you in the December class. Got the offer call today. Good luck to all who are waiting.

mmierz
Rookie Member

Postby mmierz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 am

Congrats naumandanish and sid1330!

Also got contacted yesterday for the December class. Good luck to everyone out there!

Should there be any concern over the TPS budget for the upcoming class in December?