TPS Parking Enforcement

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

pprash01
Rookie Member

TPS Parking Enforcement

Postby pprash01 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:55 pm

I was interested in TPS Parking Enforcement and was recently asked to do the Written Communication Interview. Could anyone be kind enough to answer some things
- Shifts ( is it like PC shifts 4 days on and 4 days off)
- Pay (would appreciate if one can tell me what would one get after taxes-takehomemoney-)
- Prospects in the department
- What's next? Is this it or people use this experiance to go elsewhere
- Atmosphere. Yes, it won't be fun giving tickets to people for not paking right.

I currently work a decent job at a major Bank and this would be a huge shift for, the salary I believe 52k of parking enforcement is not too much than what I make now. Also, working in the environment I do is different, come in wearing suit in office environment. Pls give me as much information as you can. Appreciate your efforts.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: TPS Parking Enforcement

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Just an outside opinion but if you have a nice clean indoor banking job making almost the same money, why consider the meter maid gig? What are you expecting to get out of a job like that?

CO

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:59 am

My advice to you sir, aside from doing a search and memorizing the TPS website for the answers, is to forgo parking, and look into becoming a Court Officer.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

hamiltsa
Rookie Member

Postby hamiltsa » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:59 am

Hello,

Can you tell me when you recieved the invitation to participate in the written interview part?

Just to make sure - you applied this year through their new internal process right?

I am wondering if anyone has recieved a notice to participate in the written test? If so, when?

Also - has anyone else applied throught their new internal process?

Thanks.

pprash01
Rookie Member

Postby pprash01 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:36 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Just an outside opinion but if you have a nice clean indoor banking job making almost the same money, why consider the meter maid gig? What are you expecting to get out of a job like that?

CO
You pointed a very good concern that I have been thinking about.
Really, the only thing that is motivating me is government job that is secured.

ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Postby ToyCopp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:25 pm

So is this an internal job posting you guys are talking about? Who would be internal from TPS that would apply to parking? Crossing guards? Life Guards? Didnt see any of these postings.

48highlander
Poobah Overlord

Postby 48highlander » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:44 pm

ToyCopp wrote:So is this an internal job posting you guys are talking about? Who would be internal from TPS that would apply to parking? Crossing guards? Life Guards? Didnt see any of these postings.
Internal postings are open to all city employees (for the most part), they at least show up on the City's internal job board.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 pm

pprash01 wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:Just an outside opinion but if you have a nice clean indoor banking job making almost the same money, why consider the meter maid gig? What are you expecting to get out of a job like that?

CO
You pointed a very good concern that I have been thinking about.
Really, the only thing that is motivating me is government job that is secured.
Job security is certainly something to think about. Although we just went through the worst recession in years and I didn't hear about any major banker cutbacks.

CO

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:56 pm

I am pretty sure most major banks dumped staff, there was a news spot about it as the major banks in Canada made less profits, only a billion or so instead a two or three :P and they were trying to figure out why cut staff, go figure.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:57 am

T.M.DIESEL wrote:I am pretty sure most major banks dumped staff, there was a news spot about it as the major banks in Canada made less profits, only a billion or so instead a two or three :P and they were trying to figure out why cut staff, go figure.
You got a point. I mean, they great a shit storm to the point where they're about to go bankrupt, and march up to the capitol and ask for a bailout because they're too important to the economy, but don't want more regulation. So what we can have another shit storm? :ponder:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

MS
Veteran Member

Postby MS » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:34 am

Listen, I've never done the job, and I wouldn't for all the candy in the world, but cmon now, it's a shit job other than security........ I don't know how those guys look themselves in the mirror in the morning. You'd get more satisfaction stamping widgets in a factory, never mind the constant abuse. I have several times stood by
with pcos while at work just because I saw a behemoth screaMing to kill them as I drove by and I didn't want to see the poor bastard have his ass handed to him. I would rather poke myself in the eye with a Sharp stickthan do that job. Take the advice given unless your sold on security, cause that is the ONLY job benifit

manojthomas79
Rookie Member

Postby manojthomas79 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:31 am

I would like to have some help here. I am a teacher working a remote-First Nation community in Ontario for this school year. I have been called for Parking enforcement test on April 29. Its been over a year when I applied, when I was in Toronto.
Well the problem is I do not have a driving licence. Will this be a pre-requestic to give the test? Will I be able to move on to the interview and the training without having a G licence?
Is it worthwhile to go all the way from my static location to Toronto for the interview? 1000 dollars flight (return).
Will they give me an alternate date during the summer?
What are time lines for hiring'/training this year/session?
Waiting for a reply,
Thanks guys

ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Postby ToyCopp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:41 am

manojthomas79 wrote:I would like to have some help here. I am a teacher working a remote-First Nation community in Ontario for this school year. I have been called for Parking enforcement test on April 29. Its been over a year when I applied, when I was in Toronto.
Well the problem is I do not have a driving licence. Will this be a pre-requestic to give the test? Will I be able to move on to the interview and the training without having a G licence?
Is it worthwhile to go all the way from my static location to Toronto for the interview? 1000 dollars flight (return).
Will they give me an alternate date during the summer?
What are time lines for hiring'/training this year/session?
Waiting for a reply,
Thanks guys
At the time of your application you must have a full Ontario G licence with no restrictions.

manojthomas79
Rookie Member

Postby manojthomas79 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:50 am

But on the requirements section of the flyer it is stated that:-
Must have (or be willing and eligible to obtain) a Class “G” and Class “M” (Motorcycle) Drivers Licence and a
Toronto Police Service “Blue Card”.

So do I fall in the category (willing and eligible to obtain) a Class “G” ?
Thank you,

Manoj Thomas

Jabroni85
Rookie Member

Postby Jabroni85 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Does that mean parking enforcement positions will not be open to the public this year? When were the internal positions posted?
Men who do things without being told draw the most wages.
-Rodney Dangerfield