Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
WAH

Re: Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Postby WAH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Game one again.

Got my letter asking if I still wanted to continue in the process. Mentioned Backgrounds would restart again in August for a early January class.

Nothing like a cross country move with the family to Winnipeg in January :alright:

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 am

I was glad to get my letter too... As for moving in a typical Winnipeg winter; as an out-of-towner myself... At least we know what we are getting into... Nothing like Winnipeg in January 88)

CstGM
Rookie Member

Postby CstGM » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:22 am

I was reading the WPS recruiting page and they mention Class #151-L. I know #151 has started up again and isn't taking applications. Does anyone know what #151-L means? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious here. Thanks

WAH

Postby WAH » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:11 am

They were accepting applications for regular and Lateral entries....

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Since someone turned the lights on in this thread I might as well ask. Anyone got a date for their second interview or if they had one already in the spring, their BG update interview yet?

Would be nice to hear from them this week since AC has the most awesome seat sale of the year but it ends this week then I'm back to selling my first born for regular fare lol.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 am

I went in the other day to drop off my class 4 and CPR and they told me to hold off sending in my financial stuff till beggining of Sept as they're a little delayed... again lol! I guess they are having a hard time rounding up enough investigators (from what a friend on the force told me they only have a handful of full time investigators on staff, the rest are officers that volunteer to t.a. in the recruiting dept).

So we all get to hold out breaths for just a little longer!!

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Hey guys and gals of 151... I have my BGI scheduled for next week.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm

bluefox wrote:Hey guys and gals of 151... I have my BGI scheduled for next week.

:ponder: They told me the investigators would not be starting until the 13th lol. Maybe they are trying to politely get rid of me lol.

Good to hear though. Personally I think they should make all you guys who are doing it for your first time take it a second time to be fair to us who've already had the pleasure (?) of it and have to do BGI interview 2.0 (kidding of course..maybe ;) )

There is nothing like re-hashing my teen years. I'd rather drink acid while watching re-runs of Home Alone.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story ... nitoba.com

So push the class back when recruiting for police officers was out of the public's eye, then at election time when also conveniently the process fires back up again he promises 56 new officers... When really had they done class 151 and started it on schedule and class 152 when it normally would have started you would have had the 56. But push one back, short change the force for awhile then say your going to hire 56 to make it easy to fulfill your promises... Don't you love politics!

Just my 2 cents of course!

WAH

Postby WAH » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm not sure it's that simple....

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 am

WAH wrote:I'm not sure it's that simple....

True enough. I think Katz is talking "new" positions when, for example, 151 was going to be replacing vacant positions; so a net gain after 151 is finished of zero. Of course last spring they announced a handful of new positions as well so I would guess (small g guess) that if say 15 officers were retiring that would mean 15 class spots plus the number of new ones announced in the spring for a gain of whatever new spots they announced last spring. From what I heard from my BG investigator allotment numbers seem to be in a state of flux right until the last stage of the process.

It is true the tough on crime card is always a good one in Winnipeg politics but there was so many new things going on in WPS this year that I can totally see the delay as just what they said it was for.

Now the mention of 58 new officer positions is nice to hear but I don't think it will directly help out class 151 numbers unless Katz can secure that funding (from two levels of government) in the next few months. Even then, would recruiting be in a position at this point to increase the numbers of 151 applicants accepted? Remember also that the cadets will be at the academy the same time as 151 so would they have the resources to handle so many people? How easy is it to increase academy resources? I have no idea but but I'm not super optimistic 151 recruitment will see a larger class from this announcement. At the same time it does not hurt to cross my fingers, 151 applicants could sure use some encouraging news after getting hit with the delay, heck we aren't greedy, we'll just take 50 of them :mrgreen: Go from possibly one of the smallest classes to the largest. I wonder what the largest, since amalgamation, has ever been?

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 am

No, I agree with both of you... It isn't that simple at all, just thought it was kind of funny the timing of it all. Like you said Madeline, the war on crime is always top on there political agenda when it comes to promises. I think there were a tonne of factors in the delaying of class 151, and I think both retirenments and from what I hear from some of my buddies on the force the cadet program had alot to do with it as well (Not enough staff to do investigations on both the cadets and the class 151 canidates) as there was alot of pressure from the top to get the cadet program rolling.

I'm not really sure if when he sais 56 new officers if it really even affects us... Because many of the new officers he speaks of are for specialty units. Now when they are hiring new recruits do they take into consideration the number of officers they are taking off the streets to fill the spots in the specialty units I have no clue, or if there hiring is based just soley on retirenments. And like you said, would he ever be able to pull the funding together in the next few months for it. You are deffinitly right about the time it takes to determine what the class size will be, take mine for example (class #150), I passed 40 of us from the BGI, went on to psych and medical and at the last minute (about 3wks before the actual class start date that we were given, I even had been told the week I'd be coming in for uniform sizing) they cut the class size down to 24.

Really when it comes down to it, it is what is... Yes, the delay sucks as we would have all loved to know if we were accepted or not and we would have started training already (if accepted of course), but I'm willing to wait the extra 6mths... This is my third time applying (I know, sad, but can't say I'm not persistant lol!) and it's been just over 3 years since the first time I walked into the recruiting office with my application so I don't think 6 more mths to wait has killed me! I just think it's fun to speculate and have some friendly debate over it!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:31 pm

st83 wrote: I passed 40 of us from the BGI, went on to psych and medical and at the last minute (about 3wks before the actual class start date that we were given, I even had been told the week I'd be coming in for uniform sizing) they cut the class size down to 24.

Ouch, that hurts!

st83 wrote: I just think it's fun to speculate and have some friendly debate over it!

I agree. Folks down at recruiting likely has a good laugh reading it too. Either that or a lot of face palms.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am

Ya, it stung a little, not going to lie! But hey, atleast I was 1 of the 4 bumped to this class and didn't receive the extended defferal like others in my position. So this is attempt #3 at it (first time didn't have a clue what I was getting myself into and failed the screening interview, 2nd time passed everything and got bumped to this class) and I'm really hoping the whole 3rd time's a charm thing rings true!

I wonder if the recruiting staff even reads them? I would guess the investigators do (can show your character and how bad you actually want to be a cop). And ya, I can almost guarentee there would be a few laughs at some of the stuff people say. Unfortunatly I know the recruiting process all to well, so I know I get a kick out of some of the stuff said or "advice" that is given, exspecially when it comes to the BGI!