Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Re: Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:06 pm

wifey wrote:It is not a rumour, it is true, the August class has been cancelled! Background investigators have been sent back to their jobs. Everyone will get a phone call or letter soon to inform them.

First post on here to come and say that? Hopefully sarcasm.........

Funny, I email corresponded with Recruiting and my BG investigator on Friday afternoon and they both failed to mention this and where still wanting me to send in more information. Seems like a funny thing to do if they are sending everyone home.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I prefer to hear the "rumours" from the horses mouth before I panic. If you want to see rampant rumours of whats going on in recruiting skim the RCMP forums lol. There are some doozies!

mugen
Rookie Member

Postby mugen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:16 pm

whoa i hope that's not true....if it is, i wonder if it has anything to do with the new cadet program?....they are supposedly putting out 30 cadets in dec and another 20 i think in jan...which i find kinda dumb because it looks to be the same process as becoming a constable but you will start off at $12/hr and do all the grunt work, they also mention about their presence downtown but if that's the case what would happen to downtown watch and the exchange watch?...i mean it would be good for 18-22 yr olds but if its the same kinda selection process, wouldn't wps just say they don't have enough "life experience" to be cadets?....not to sure where wps is going with this new program

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Let's not panic on rumours, just yet. No one has got a notice yet, and they were accepting new documents for my background still on Friday, which would seem odd if they no longer needed them. They just announced more police in the budget last week, among a number of other things that point to it being just rumour, but stranger things have happened. With bureaucracy you can't apply logic and rational thought or you'd go looney.

The budget had "extra funding for (both) The Cadet program and new officers." Ok rough quote, see news link on prior page. Also before someone tosses out the cost of the new chopper, that is totally separate funding from what I have read at least.

Don't have the link but I recall reading while I was down doing my interviews that the Cadet program will not have the same hiring process as a constable. But it was void of details about what process they would have.

There is another thread here about the Cadet program somewhere that talks more about that if you give it a search off the main page.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Just to break up the pending rumour panic...........

Top Ten Answers Certain to not get you past the Interview if asked why you want to join the WPS:

10- Spoken with increased breathing and light perspiration “I like guns, when would I get my gun?”
9 – “So I can check up on my friends with CPIC”
8 – “One word, TASER!”
7 – “First choice was RCMP but I hate horses”
6 – “Well I’m really good at speeding. I figured I might as well get paid for it.”
5 – “Because the Fire Department wouldn’t take me”
4 – “Well someone’s gotta fix crime in this town”
3 – “I have a good handle on what the job entails, I have every episode of COPS on DVD”
2 – “My significant other finds uniforms sexy”
1 - "Because I want to ride in the new chopper.” :mrgreen: "

feel free to add...

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 am

Great, just great Madeline236... sure wish you had posted that 2 weeks ago before my Panel... I used several of your thoughts myself... wonder if I'll get points for delivering my answers with a "pagent" like tone ;)

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 am

Well as I said in my post, it is nothing more than a rumour at this stage. My friend has been on with the WPS going on 5 yrs now and is currently a field trainer. He said himself it is just a rumour right now, and not to put to much thought into it. He figures they will still go ahead with the class but it'll just be small like last time, or worst case scenario they would go through the entire process, select there canidates and then push back the class start date. They aren't going to throw away the money they have invested in performing all the panel interviews, and performing the BGI's they have already completed.

cjrs
Rookie Member

Postby cjrs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 am

Word that I'm getting from an inside source is that not only will class 151 be pushed back a full year, but they won't be doing ANY recruiting until 151 goes through sometime in 2011.

Lousy Cadet program...

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 am

I also read today that the feds were going to implement an internet usage tax and require all ones internet activity to be sent to them for evaluation.

But wait, its April 1st!

I'll wait for word from the horses mouth.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 am

Well I talked to the recruiting staff sargeant yesterday. Here's what's happening. Class 151 has been postponed soley based on the fact of less retirenments than anticipated this year so there are not enough spots open, and has nothing to do with the cadet program or budgets. He said that the process has basically been suspended. All applicants will resume in likely Aug at the stage they were at. Letters have been sent out detailing everything but basically they are figuring a class start date of Jan or Feb... They will be phoning in Aug to insure that we still want to follow through with our application and we will begin where we left off.

Not good news, but it is definitly better than them cancelling the class all together like the initial rumour was.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Ugh, wish they could just continue the process and tell applicants if they get in in July like they were going to, then let us wait. At least the wondering will be over, and it would give those of us who might have to make a quick cross country move more time to prepare.

Well once again my timing sucks it seems.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Hey tell me about it! Making it all the way to the end last time, then being bumped to this class was disheartening to begin with, and now finding out that the class start date of this has been pushed back is even more dissapointing! But this is my 3rd kick at the can, and if you take all the time I've invested since the very first time I applied (over 3 years ago) I guess a little more of a wait won't kill me! I think the end results if you get on are well worth it!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Yeah I was thinking that after I posted, Poor ST83 is on his second round of being pushed back at this stage. Certainly empathize with you.

But you're right, it is worth it in the end if it works out.

See Y'all back here in August! :wave:

mugen
Rookie Member

Postby mugen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:57 pm

oh wow that really sucks....so the people that had their BGI wont even know if they passed it until then? thats a really long wait and you still might not pass, they may have said it has nothing to do with the cadet program but im sure it doesn't help...same goes for the new helicopter and new downtown building they bought. Gotta cut costs elsewhere

Noel1
Rookie Member

Postby Noel1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Oh man, I feel for you guys. I know that is all part of the process and everything, but that is depressing. I just hope that they at least finish up your BGIs and not leave them hanging, that would seriously drive me crazy. But they will continue with the process in August, with a class start date of early 2011? I guess that isn't so bad, but it sucks to have your lives on hold that much more.

I guess for me, the brutal part of it is how it affects class #152. If class #151 has been put on hold, when will class #152 start? I may be in for a long wait. Just have to cross my fingers and hope I suppose. It is a bit more time to get into even better shape and brush up on my French I suppose.

And as a side note, I find it a tad hard to believe that this has absolutely nothing to do with the cadet program. Perhaps I am wrong (I hope so), but it does feel that their are political things going on behind the scenes here. Just IMHO.

WAH

Postby WAH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:14 am

This isnt the first time there has been a break between hiring classes. I'm told there was nearly a two year period between two of the low #100 classes (#105ish).

On the other hand, the WPS has hired nearly 100 members each year for the last number of years and the hiring blitz had to end sometime. With only 1400 members, thats a lot of Jr members.

Regardless, it definitely sucks for those of you applying to #151 and 152.

I'm wondering how the tradition of new grads working Station Duty is going to work out.... Might suck more to be in #150