Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
st83
Rookie Member

Re: Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Postby st83 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 am

Nope, no ink blots so your safe! Just about 1400 questions (really it's prob only 100 questions just the same ones worded differently 10 times!).

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Good to know... I was starting to envision the interrogation scenes from the movie "Twelve Monkeys"! :((

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Good to know... I was starting to envision the interrogation scenes from the movie "Twelve Monkeys"! :((

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 pm

bluefox wrote:Good to know... I was starting to envision the interrogation scenes from the movie "Twelve Monkeys"! :((

Oh don't worry, that's the background interview. Just wear sunglasses, it helps with the bright light in your face. :mrgreen:

Noel1
Rookie Member

Postby Noel1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info folks. Now it is just a waiting game until I leave Taiwan (summer), and then the rush and wait game begins once the application starts. Hopefully the next application will be fall and not earlier, otherwise I will have to apply for the class #153 :( . I really hope not.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 pm

WPG budget and new officers
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2010/03/23/13330076.html

..voted in favour of the spending plan, which includes money for eight more police officers...The city is spending $30 million more than it did last year..

So I'm not sure if this means only 8 for this next year, class 151, or if the comment about spending "more than last year" means that's 8 more than they hired last year under last years budget. Spending more and adding officers onto last years budget kind of insinuates its 8 more than last year but not necessarily.

Just musing out loud really. It would be a big difference to applicants if it is an 8 person class (do they run them this small?) compared to a 33 person class, based on being told they ran 25 last year.

Anyone else have their BG interviews yet? How did you feel they went? I know they are already working on my investigation based on talking to someone yesterday.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm pretty confident they mean 8 more than last year. I also read that in the paper this morning, that they were planning on adding 8 more, but I then went on the city sight and actually read the city budget plans for policing (It's a slow day at work lol)... Like I said, I think they just mean 8 more than last year. So if the class size last year was 25, I would expect this years to be around the class and a half size (36).

Also one interesting fact I read on the budget, in 09 the budget was 6.9 mill for training police offers, but they only spent 3.7... They didn't hire as many as they budgeted for. Not sure if this is because there was not enough "suitable" applicants which I know the WPS has complained of, or for other political reasons. Like you said, just musing here.

I haven't received my phone call yet to even pick up my background package! I wish the call would come already so I can get the ball rolling on this!!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:43 pm

st83 wrote:I'm pretty confident they mean 8 more than last year. I also read that in the paper this morning, that they were planning on adding 8 more, but I then went on the city sight and actually read the city budget plans for policing (It's a slow day at work lol)... Like I said, I think they just mean 8 more than last year. So if the class size last year was 25, I would expect this years to be around the class and a half size (36).

Also one interesting fact I read on the budget, in 09 the budget was 6.9 mill for training police offers, but they only spent 3.7... They didn't hire as many as they budgeted for. Not sure if this is because there was not enough "suitable" applicants which I know the WPS has complained of, or for other political reasons. Like you said, just musing here.

I haven't received my phone call yet to even pick up my background package! I wish the call would come already so I can get the ball rolling on this!!

Don't sweat the BG call. Paperwork is just long to fill out if you are old like me. 15 years ago I'd have it done in an hour lol. If you passed the Panel and they said you'd get it you will. I was told they do them in blocks. So for example if there were 200 people still in process they will call up 100 and do them over a few weeks then call the next 100 or something like that. Could be you are just in the second group. Everyone gets their results the same week anyhow I was told.

I asked my BG interviewer about the numbers for this year. Maybe class 150 was just very easy to train :mrgreen:

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm not really sweating it at all, I know the call is coming... It's just when lol! I didn't have to pass my panel this time, didn't have to do it! I was the one bumped from class #150. I passed the BGI 6mths ago so I'm not at all concerned about it this time, just can't wait to get the ball rolling again... For the entire process of #151 I haven't had to do anything but basically sit back. I didn't even have to redo my POPAT. Which I guess is a good thing and nothing to complain about, but like I said, I just want to get the ball rolling on it all!

What do you mean by asked your investigator about the numbers... Like you mean as in how many applied, or about the hiring 8 more? Care to shed any light on what you mean lol!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:39 pm

st83 wrote:I'm not really sweating it at all, I know the call is coming... It's just when lol! I didn't have to pass my panel this time, didn't have to do it! I was the one bumped from class #150. I passed the BGI 6mths ago so I'm not at all concerned about it this time, just can't wait to get the ball rolling again... For the entire process of #151 I haven't had to do anything but basically sit back. I didn't even have to redo my POPAT. Which I guess is a good thing and nothing to complain about, but like I said, I just want to get the ball rolling on it all!

What do you mean by asked your investigator about the numbers... Like you mean as in how many applied, or about the hiring 8 more? Care to shed any light on what you mean lol!

Oh geesh sorry. I deleted part of my sentence there lol. No I just asked her if they had an idea of how many they were accepting to class this year and she basically said it was not set yet but led me to believe it could "could" be around the size of last class, maybe max 25. But she said that is kind of fluid, for example they never knew what would come out in the budget.

WAH

Postby WAH » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Class size is based on the 'budget' and anticipated vacancies (retirements)... the last 4 class sizes have been approximately 46, 42 (both now graduated), 44 (field training), and 28 (in class now)...like the lady at the HR office said, it is fluid. Last minute additions to a class starting up are not uncommon. If someone retires unexpectedly, resigns or is kicked out of one of these last two classes, it could open up an extra spot in 151.

Best wishes to you all! I was told early on by an instructor that getting hired was comparable to winning the lottery....you've just won approx. $1.5 million dollars over your career...

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Ya, I try not to put to much thought into how many they will be taking, or how many they have taken... I just hope that I'm one of the ones that does get taken, whatever the number might be!

I was told pretty well the exact same thing the last time I went through the BGI (Oct 09), that it is all depended on budget, projected retirements, somebody getting kicked out of previous class... Basicaly that there are tones of factors.

It definitly does feel like it would be comparable to winning the lottery, when you consider how many applicants there are for any given class and how many they actually take. It's a very competitive process, but I'm loving being a part of it! Although I can' wait till it all ends with hopefully a phone call for an offer of employment this time!

cjrs
Rookie Member

Postby cjrs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 pm

st83 wrote:Ya, I try not to put to much thought into how many they will be taking, or how many they have taken... I just hope that I'm one of the ones that does get taken, whatever the number might be!

Amen to that! Had my background interview a couple of weeks ago. If I don't get through selection, to be honest it's a great feeling to be this far. Not bad for a first-time applicant!

Still, it would be nice if they decide to do another double class...haha.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:53 pm

So I'm not trying to alarm anyone but.... I spoke with a close friend of mine who is on the force this morning and he has advised me that there's a pretty big rumour the they are planning on cancelling class 151, or post poning it. Apparently not enough retirenments as expected. He has no idea if this is true, or what they are doing. He thinks that it will still go as planned it will just be a small class like the last one and that I shouldn't worry about it, but you still sure don't like hearing something like that.

Has anyone else heard this? IS there anyone with the WPS on here that can maybe shed a little light on this situation?!

wifey
Rookie Member

Postby wifey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 am

It is not a rumour, it is true, the August class has been cancelled! Background investigators have been sent back to their jobs. Everyone will get a phone call or letter soon to inform them.