Queens Park Security (Special Constable)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Queens Park Security (Special Constable)

Postby scott90 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Another one I found on Go Jobs, thought some people may be interested
Ministry: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Division: Ontario Provincial Police
Position Title: SECURITY OFFICER - AMENDED
Duration: 4 Permanent
Location: 900 Bay St, MacDonald Block 2nd Floor, Toronto, Toronto Region
Compensation Group: OPPA Civilians
Salary: $23.82 - $24.52 per hour
Position Status: Open
Job Code: C0021 - Security Officer Queens Park
Schedule: 4-7
Category: Corrections and Enforcement
Job ID: 25171

The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Ontario Provincial Police, Queen`s Park Detachment, Security Bureau, requires individuals to provide security services at government locations in Toronto.

Qualifications:Must possess a valid Class G Ontario driver`s license; First Aid and CPR Certificates. Must maintain required recertification in these areas. Must pass OPP background security investigation and gain/maintain Special Constable Designation. Must meet and maintain basic fitness standard to provide required life, safety and security services. Must meet and maintain standards obtained through OPP internal training, e.g. Use of Force. Knowledge of Criminal Code and Provincial Statutes related to security/protective service; policies/procedures to carry out patrols/conduct security checks. Analytical and evaluative skills to identify and respond to potentially unstable situations. Oral and written communication skills to convey and record information, resolve issues and complaints; knowledge of computers (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook) to input information.

Posting Date:Wednesday, February 03, 2010
Closing Date:Thursday, February 18, 2010

Applications must be received by the end of the closing date with the Job ID number quoted.

Send application to:

Insp. Daryl Knox, Detachment Commander
Queens Park Detachment, Security Bureau
77 Wellesley Street
Toronto, Ontario, M7A 1N3.
Fax: 416-327-2376
opp.queenspark@ontario.ca
My Patch Collection http://public.fotki.com/Scott90/

KCCO.
scott90
Seasoned Member

Re: Queens Park Security (Special Constable)

Postby justiceCuffs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Has anyone on here been through this process before, or currently working in this position?
justiceCuffs
Rookie Member

Postby Jace » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 pm

This seems like a pretty good job. Beats the pants off contract security.

I imagine that it is much tougher to get in, because the term "security" is misleading. It is a special constable position, and some people may not realize this.
Jace
Veteran Member

Postby ladycuffs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:49 pm

I've thought about applying for this position for quite a few years now. Does anyone know what the hours are like? Is it a 24 hour operation? I'm thinking about leaving Provincial Corrections (same Ministry though).
Lady
ladycuffs
Rookie Member

Postby ToyCopp » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Yup. Its that time of year again. The Queens Park thread.
ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Postby Apollo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 am

ToyCopp wrote:Yup. Its that time of year again. The Queens Park thread.

lol :lol:
Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby justiceCuffs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Appolo, ToyCopp:

You guys seem to have alot of information in most aspects of this forum. What can you give us in regards to this position?
justiceCuffs
Rookie Member

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 pm

justiceCuffs wrote:Appolo, ToyCopp:

You guys seem to have alot of information in most aspects of this forum. What can you give us in regards to this position?

You do site security at the Legislature. You are tasked with the security of the building, dignitaries (somewhat, its the Police's job), and the public.

Not much to it.

But they have seen fit to keep the Special designation.
***If you do not have access to the PRIVATE SIDE of this forum or are not a VENDOR, DO NOT PM me. I DO NOT give out advice on hiring.***
A.T.R.
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:
justiceCuffs wrote:Appolo, ToyCopp:

You do site security at the Legislature. You are tasked with the security of the building, dignitaries (somewhat, its the Police's job), and the public.

Not much to it.

But they have seen fit to keep the Special designation.

That's about it.

It's building security for the ontario government buildings and offices beside the legislature.

These OPP security officers are not the same security inside the actual legislature building.

These OPP specials carry OC and baton. When they leave the property they cannot carry their OC. Years ago they were given an OPP car to patrol the exterior but that was taken away. They were given badges years ago too, but those also were taken away.

Each platoon has a few specials, a sergeant special constable, and a regular PC.

It's strictly a security function. There's a lot of sitting and standing and building patrols.

Same uniform as auxiliaries and cadets. Baby blue shirts.

Schedule is four on four off.
Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Reese » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

I thought Queens Park Security wore white shirts? (Not that it really matters. I'm just wondering)
Reese
Seasoned Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm unsure, but are there not two agencies at Queens Park, the OPPers which this ad is for who look after the area and buildings around Queens park, and then the legislative assembly has their own inhouse specials as well.

Can anyone confirm or deny this.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story
RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 pm

I seem to write this up in every thread: lol

The actual legislative building where the politicians sit and debate etc have their own special constable services called: Legislative Security Service. They are strictly security of the legislature building. They wear white shirts, black pants, yellow stripe. They carry only baton and wallet badges.

The government buildings and offices behind the legislature building are watched by the OPP Special Constables who wear an OPP uniform with baby blue shirts.

These two places are right next to each other, in the vicinity of queens park. That's why they get confused for each other.
Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 pm

RemingtonSteel wrote:I'm unsure, but are there not two agencies at Queens Park, the OPPers which this ad is for who look after the area and buildings around Queens park, and then the legislative assembly has their own inhouse specials as well.

Confirm
Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Reese » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Reese
Seasoned Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:35 am

Apollo wrote:
RemingtonSteel wrote:I'm unsure, but are there not two agencies at Queens Park, the OPPers which this ad is for who look after the area and buildings around Queens park, and then the legislative assembly has their own inhouse specials as well.

Confirm

10-4 thanks Apollo
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story
RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Next

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)