TPS Dec - 2009 Intake.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: TPS Dec - 2009 Intake.

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 am

tpspastin#9 wrote:So who is going to start the TPS April - 2010 Intake?

To maybe keep some peoples hopes up, a guy who works in my company just got hired this past week. There may still be openings. I also believe I heard that 2010 they are offering a new retirment package and this is going to flush out alot of senior officers.

That has nothing to do with hiring recruits.

There is no new retirement package. Its the same one we've always had. Just with 2010, the % goes up, like my 2010 raise.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 am

Toronto Copper

How do you feel it will affect the retirements for this year?

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:24 pm

It won't.

Either you are at the place in your life you retire, or you are not.

Why senior officers wait until the new year to retire is for the extra percentage they get per our raises from the contract.

It has no bearing on recruits at all.

We hire 110-130 recruits three times a year. The December intake is sometimes smaller because of budget.

The first class of the year is always the biggest.

The recruit classes are SO HUGE now that all graduating photos of the class are split in two because there is just no room at all in the photo.

In time the classes will only get bigger, but we are constricted by the seat available at OPC.

To be honest if OPC gave us three recruit classes of ALL TPS recruits at OPC, no other seats offered to anyone else, we would be in half decent shape.

Until then, keep your chin up.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Scripps
Rookie Member

Postby Scripps » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:57 am

Thank you Toronto Copper, your words are very encouraging.

gary21
Rookie Member

Postby gary21 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:09 am

Yea, thx for the useful info Toronto copper,so I guess now they are busy with the dec intake, won't think about the next one till jan? I mean, they won't call reference, book the psych interview or home visit before the dec intake is done, right?
Package in: aug/14
Phone interview: sep/14

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 am

That and Annual Leave/Holidays will be taken by the Recruiting Staff very shortly. Things will wind down in that office for a little while.

Its a taxing job and very repetitive, and mind numbing.

pez
Rookie Member

Postby pez » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:54 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:To be honest if OPC gave us three recruit classes of ALL TPS recruits at OPC, no other seats offered to anyone else, we would be in half decent shape.

How come there is such a shortage of officers? What has changed in the last 10 years where they were hiring very few to now having 110-130 in each class?
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on -- Robert Frost

inlimbo
Rookie Member

Postby inlimbo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:15 pm

pez wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:To be honest if OPC gave us three recruit classes of ALL TPS recruits at OPC, no other seats offered to anyone else, we would be in half decent shape.

How come there is such a shortage of officers? What has changed in the last 10 years where they were hiring very few to now having 110-130 in each class?

Population growth, attrition, revised requirements, etc......
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 pm

That and in the 70's, TPS went to two-man cars after the Association fought for it from Officer injuries and deaths.

All those officers hired back then are now retiring.

I think we are 1700-2000 officers short of where we should be.

New recruits only fill Platoon staffing on PRU radio cars. They don't do anything else.

WE need mucho new recruits to allow seasoned and more experienced officers to fill the vacancies in other offices once they become open.

PRU is the bottom of the barrel, but the best job. Offices will always be filled, they will just pull from PRU and the road guys will operate below strength.

PATROL LEADS THE WAY!

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 am

Toronto Copper

All right you seem alot better then some of the other sarcastic quick mouth guys on here so if you could answer a couple randopm questions that'd be great!

1. Taking a day off. How does that work for officers? I dont do it often and I feel bad enough doing it now and I'm security. Just a thopught. Is there such a thing as shift swaps in TPS?
2. Overtime/Pay Duties (Do they even call it Pay duties anymore?). I'm 28, just got 1st home, got a 3yr old girl and in T-minus 25 days I will have a bouncing baby boy and gotta kill the debt monster. How does OT work for you guys? Did I mention Im currently a security guard? Just painting the picture.

:bow:

pez
Rookie Member

Postby pez » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 am

TorontoCopper wrote:I think we are 1700-2000 officers short of where we should be.

With such a shortfall of officers on the road, what kind of problems are patrol officers facing?

In this forum, I have read that there are plenty of guys that say front line work is the best, but what is it about this work that puts it up over the top?
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on -- Robert Frost

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:40 pm

tpspastin#9 wrote:Toronto Copper
1. Taking a day off. How does that work for officers? I dont do it often and I feel bad enough doing it now and I'm security. Just a thopught. Is there such a thing as shift swaps in TPS?
2. Overtime/Pay Duties (Do they even call it Pay duties anymore?). I'm 28, just got 1st home, got a 3yr old girl and in T-minus 25 days I will have a bouncing baby boy and gotta kill the debt monster. How does OT work for you guys? Did I mention Im currently a security guard? Just painting the picture.

:bow:

1.)Days off every five weeks are sort of mandatory. You get whats called an ADO of 11 hours every five weeks which you can accumulate the whole year. You also accumulate lieu time by overtime if not taken in cash, or from court if not taking cash.

If you are a producer in traffic court, it is very easy to bank up hundreds of lieu hours which you can cash in twice a year, or take time off whenever you want. I sometime take the Fri/Sat/Sun, the first three days of day shifts off in order to a.)shorten the work week and b.) make my six days off 9 days long and get en extra weekend off.

As long as your platoon staffing is fine, you can take off as much time as you wish providing you have it banked. Most will bank it in order to supplement their annual leave/holidays. When you do that, you can have a minimum of 28 days off with only two weeks of shifts taken off for hoildays combined with lieu time.

I bank my time so I get a lot of the summer off. If you want a day off, you just ask for it.

2.) Overtime comes and goes. It all depends on your division and whether you are short staffed or not. I avoid it like the plague since I just want to go home. Sometimes you will get a whole week of it, sometimes you won't see it for months.

We do get "Call Backs" which are over time shifts that are 4-8 hours in length depending on the anti-crime initiative that is taking place and if the funding is there from the City, Province, and Federal Govt.

Those ones are fun because you work with hand picked people and you go out an hammer bad guys without going to calls. Unless something major happens that is.

Paid Duties are there if you want them. I do one every few weeks or so. You can do them almost all days off if you wish if you are one of the hounds and are always available. Its a good way to pay bills or supplement spending money.

If I need to make a purchase I do a paid duty that pays out cash at the end of the night. Or if I don't need it right away I do one that sends me a check a few weeks later so its there later on.

But remember, these are not taxed, and you must claim this as untaxed income at the end of the year, so you need to ensure you invest some of it in RSP's or something to offset what might owe later on.

I only do maybe $2000-$3000 worth a year. The rest of my wage comes from off-duty court taken as overtime or banked time that gets paid out at Christmas. Its already taxed.

There are those that do $50,000 or more in paid duties a year, but you pay for it in the end. That's time I can be at home rather than staring at a hole in the street.

But paying off a house bill or mortgage is a good way to off-set what you owe.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:00 pm

pez wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:I think we are 1700-2000 officers short of where we should be.

With such a shortfall of officers on the road, what kind of problems are patrol officers facing?

In this forum, I have read that there are plenty of guys that say front line work is the best, but what is it about this work that puts it up over the top?

WE get a lot of overtime because we either cannot get enough people on a call to help out, or you just get bogged down with mandated paperwork. We are also losing tonnes of senior and experienced officers who have a lifetime of policing to offer. Some shifts, the senior guy on the road may not even be 1st Class yet. We have Coach Officers who barely know what they are doing on their own.

Also sometimes its very hard to get extra days off because there is no one working or we are at the bare minimum of officers on the road.

Ive personally worked when there have only been a Sgt. and three two-man cars patrolling all of Jane/Finch on a night shift.

But because of the kind of people we are, we adapt and over come and make the best of it. Calls will then back up and the public may have to wait a day or so for Police to come to very low priority calls for service.

Sometimes patrol cars just sit in the back lot for days not moving because we cannot fill them with officers.

But in the end, the street is the best part of the career. Ive dome many things with TPS and have grown and matured and learned a lot because of these opportunities. The street is where you hone your skills and become a
"Police Officer". Then you go off and become Homicide or Hold-Up or whatever. The street is where you get your name, credibility, and respect. ALL intelligence comes from the street level. All homicides, rapes, abductions, car crashes, fires, suicides happen at the street level.

This is why I applied and why you are. I have just shy of a decade on the street. I go away but always come back, and each time I apply what I learned elsewhere tot he street and handle calls and situations much more better, faster, safer, and more positively.

I also am now 5th in seniority on my shift. I have other officers coming to me for advice and for help and I feel good when I can guide them and assist them making the proper decisions.

A decision may be the right decision, or a good decision. There is a difference, and without the basic street level Police experience you won't know the difference. I can't tell you. You need to figure that out on your own.

Besides, how many supervisors or management types have you dealt with that have totally no idea what they are doing outside of a management role? Some have progressed rapidly through the ranks, but essentially did no time on the street and really have lost touch with what the job really is.

Much respect has to go to the officer who do 25 or more years on the street and retire out of that position.

Many think its a joke that "TPS" is the centre of the universe on here, but really in a way its very close.

There are so many opportunities with TPS that if you did one thing for a year, for all of your years on, you will still not have done everything available to you.

I have many other friends out in other forces. For example a friend of mine from when I was in the jails works for Halton. He got on just over a year before I did.

You know he still has never been to a shooting or homicide. Never seen an illegal gun. Never been in a punch up other than a bar brawl, no pursuit, never been assaulted, never been to a sex assault, child abduction, etc.

Yes this reflects the area where he Polices, however all of this occurs outside of that bubble he works, and will in time burst it.

I would love some days to just drive around and be public friendly more so than now, but that would wear off real fast. Many leave TPS, and are back within a year because of this.

Being a "Street Cop" is very hard and taxing. You see and do a lot. Just be careful the monster that the street is doesn't eat you up from inside. Thats why its good every 3-5 years, go do something else for a while.

But as hard as I see my job sometimes, my perspective is regained whenever I think of the job my brothers and sisters doing Native Policing are doing.

Unsound
Rookie Member

Postby Unsound » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Awesome posts, TorontoCopper. Thanks for sharing. REALLY makes me hope this process picks up for me!

ANRI
Rookie Member

Postby ANRI » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Hail you TorontoCopper! Your posts are inspiring and morale boosting :D