CBSA - Inland Enforcement Officer - Once again

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: CBSA - Inland Enforcement Officer - Once again

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Who are you wirh? CATSA?

mmmfloorpie
Rookie Member

Postby mmmfloorpie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the board.

I am writing because I received an invite to interview for the Inland Enforcement Officer position today.

**Edit**

Anyways, did anyone else get this invite? Can anyone that went through the interview process give me some tips? As someone else said (a long time ago), I understand that the job to start will probably be solely a desk job. Filling out warrants and interviewing refugees/doing all the paperwork to release them on conditions and ETC, but that is fine for me.
Last edited by mmmfloorpie on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 am

mmmfloorpie wrote:I know all the people out there that say "we are all BSOs and one happy family" when they've worked nothing but Customs their entire life. I'm sorry, but doing passport stamps on the line is NOT what immigration does, nor does it qualify you to work at IEO. In my experience, you need atleast a solid year of working the immigration counter to be comfortable enough to have a working knowledge of 50% of the material. I worked with a lot of recent transplants from Customs and I'm sorry but they had WAY too much confidence and not enough knowledge. It was funny though to see that confidence get undermined after the first couple weeks on the job though. They quickly learned it's not just bouncing all the assholes who talk back nor is it just sitting on your butt all day in front of a computer. There is a HUGE learning curve if you don't even know what a 36(1)(b) is I don't know how you can expect to work IEO. Immigration training has ALWAYS been the pits and they don't seem very eager to change it.

Thanks for that little 'tidbit' of information. Everyone knows that you need immigration experience before moving on to inland. No one said that you didn't. In fact, I'm pretty sure that a few pages ago officers were articulating why inland should be filled by those at the POE because you need to get immigration experience first. You make it sound like they would be pulling a legacy customs officer from the line and tossing them into inland enforcement with zero immigration knowledge. You and I know that this is not the case, so what was the point of the BS you posted? Especially the jab at officers allegedly going on a power trip and trying to boot mouth pieces back to the US and then later sitting back and laughing at them when their "confidence gets undermined."

Maybe there was a reason you weren't rolled over from student to BSO. :ponder:
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

mmmfloorpie
Rookie Member

Postby mmmfloorpie » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 am

SierraSeven wrote:
mmmfloorpie wrote:I know all the people out there that say "we are all BSOs and one happy family" when they've worked nothing but Customs their entire life. I'm sorry, but doing passport stamps on the line is NOT what immigration does, nor does it qualify you to work at IEO. In my experience, you need atleast a solid year of working the immigration counter to be comfortable enough to have a working knowledge of 50% of the material. I worked with a lot of recent transplants from Customs and I'm sorry but they had WAY too much confidence and not enough knowledge. It was funny though to see that confidence get undermined after the first couple weeks on the job though. They quickly learned it's not just bouncing all the assholes who talk back nor is it just sitting on your butt all day in front of a computer. There is a HUGE learning curve if you don't even know what a 36(1)(b) is I don't know how you can expect to work IEO. Immigration training has ALWAYS been the pits and they don't seem very eager to change it.

Thanks for that little 'tidbit' of information. Everyone knows that you need immigration experience before moving on to inland. No one said that you didn't. In fact, I'm pretty sure that a few pages ago officers were articulating why inland should be filled by those at the POE because you need to get immigration experience first. You make it sound like they would be pulling a legacy customs officer from the line and tossing them into inland enforcement with zero immigration knowledge. You and I know that this is not the case, so what was the point of the BS you posted? Especially the jab at officers allegedly going on a power trip and trying to boot mouth pieces back to the US and then later sitting back and laughing at them when their "confidence gets undermined."

Maybe there was a reason you weren't rolled over from student to BSO. :ponder:

Those are the experiences I've had, so I guess it's a subjective thing. Please don't tell me what I know or don't know.

I would love to hear your experiences though if they differ from mine. That's the great thing about a message board.

Oh, on a related topic, are "customs" and "immigration" still dirty words at CBSA?
Last edited by mmmfloorpie on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:20 am

mmmfloorpie wrote:I think being thrown into POE immigration as a student was too much too fast so a slower pace would be nice.

What POE?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 am

mmmfloorpie wrote:There is a HUGE learning curve if you don't even know what a 36(1)(b) is I don't know how you can expect to work IEO. Immigration training has ALWAYS been the pits and they don't seem very eager to change it.

I have to remind you of the fact that the best immigration officers aren't the ones who've memorized the laws. I know IRPA fairly well, but I also know that a good immigration officer is about asking the right questions and looking for the right things. Knowing 36(1)(b) is is useless if you don't know what you're looking for.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

mmmfloorpie
Rookie Member

Postby mmmfloorpie » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:40 am

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to get into a fight about this.

Did anyone else get this invite? That's really all I'm interested in here.

Thanks.

oilerjet
Veteran Member

Postby oilerjet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Irish, thanks for your post, I couldnt agree with you more. I too was a Customs Student, and while it was great experience, when I look back at it now, it boggles my mind the stuff I need with no tools/experience/training. There may be a place for Students within CBSA, but it sure as hell shouldnt be on the front lines. It was cheap labour, pure and simple. I have always been an advocate for hiring BSO's for the Inland position.

I got a chuckle out of the comment that you look forward to the slower pace!

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 pm

I'd be more than happy to still have students around filling out Form 1s, taking cash, ordering office supplies, and seperating the four copies of work and study permits and disposing of the carbon copies.
**CBSA Officer**

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Pacific_BSO wrote:I'd be more than happy to still have students around filling out Form 1s, taking cash, ordering office supplies, and seperating the four copies of work and study permits and disposing of the carbon copies.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Francisco
Rookie Member

Postby Francisco » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Rumour going around the office that IEO's will be hired out of Riguad starting in 2012, anyone else here that?

If true. Good or bad idea?
Any man may easily do harm, but not every man can do good to another.
Plato

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Francisco wrote:Rumour going around the office that IEO's will be hired out of Riguad starting in 2012, anyone else here that?

It would make sense, perhaps by then the gun range will be finished, and that's why training will take place in Riguad. Simply speculation.
ImageImage

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 am

Francisco wrote:Rumour going around the office that IEO's will be hired out of Riguad starting in 2012, anyone else here that?

Bad idea. This would be no different than what GTEC is doing apart from offering the training at Rigaud. If anything, if it were to be offered at Rigaud, this would likely mean NHQ has endorsed the practice and would probably mean the process of hiring externally would be expanded nationally. Not good in my books.