McMaster University P/T Special Constable

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Gard
King Poobah

Re: McMaster University P/T Special Constable

Postby Gard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 am

I can't see where Mac specials dealing with most calls could be anything but a plus for HPS.
I used to work in a detachment near a major post-secondary institution which had true security guards (with no enforcement powers) and it was a royal pain in the arse to be getting complaints coming in from the student residence because all the guards could do was check doors.

If they freed me up to do other stuff they could call themselves the Royal Canadian Mounted Ontario Provincial Toronto Police Service Royal Newfoundland Constabulary for all I'd care.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 am

To be fair Baldman, there has been plenty of special constable bashing on these forums over the years, and I have never once seen Argyll participate in it so I believe him when he says he has nothing against them.

As for the profile comment, I myself feel the profile autobiography is kinda lame/over the top. I also believe that it would have been mocked regardless of who wrote it, S/Cst, PC, CBSA, whatever.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:08 am

RemingtonSteel wrote:To be fair Baldman, there has been plenty of special constable bashing on these forums over the years, and I have never once seen Argyll participate in it so I believe him when he says he has nothing against them.

As for the profile comment, I myself feel the profile autobiography is kinda lame/over the top. I also believe that it would have been mocked regardless of who wrote it, S/Cst, PC, CBSA, whatever.

I have a feeling it was a "you're telling me I have to do a profile? ok, here, put this on..." and made in a sarcastic way. I don't see it in the light of him being self righteous, although he could be. who knows, who cares.

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:07 am

red_coat wrote:
RemingtonSteel wrote:To be fair Baldman, there has been plenty of special constable bashing on these forums over the years, and I have never once seen Argyll participate in it so I believe him when he says he has nothing against them.

I have a feeling it was a "you're telling me I have to do a profile? ok, here, put this on..." and made in a sarcastic way. I don't see it in the light of him being self righteous, although he could be. who knows, who cares.

Having worked with that particular Special Constable, who are likely bang on with that theory.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 am

The truth of the matter is, every single one of us detests having to write those profiles/bios and having our pictures on the site. Contact information...we are fine with. The officer in question here, did write it like that for the reason he didn't want to put anything personal on the website. Unfortunately, it came off badly. He's not a self-righteous, hero complex sort of dude...in fact he's quite opposite to it. So Red_Coat, you nailed it dead on. Everyone else, who likes to mock him/his profile....well, fact is, you're mocking someone who's intent wasn't what you ASSUME it was and you're just being childish. None of our members see ourselves as heroes or anything of that nature. In fact, most of us are very laid back about our role and tend to enjoy doing our jobs.....well, except for the projectile vomit calls. :((

I used to work in a detachment near a major post-secondary institution which had true security guards (with no enforcement powers) and it was a royal pain in the arse to be getting complaints coming in from the student residence because all the guards could do was check doors.

And that's precisely why we exist. An added benefit, for minor issues (criminal or CDSA) that wouldn't see the light of day in court, we can use Student/Residence code. So the students still see some form of punishment for their behaviour.

Do you think they are implying that you should be real cops, and not specials? I'm not trying to start a war, I'm actually curious.

The implication is that we should be armed specials....similar to Niagara Parks Police. Throughout our training with them (block and use of force) they continually refer to us as "Mac Police" and state that with regularity that due to the nature of our jobs (ensuring the safety of a large populace) we should be armed. Whether it happens or not, its a nice feeling to know that our sponsoring agency (from top officers down to road officers) support us.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 am

devilwoman wrote:The truth of the matter is, every single one of us detests having to write those profiles/bios and having our pictures on the site. Contact information...we are fine with. The officer in question here, did write it like that for the reason he didn't want to put anything personal on the website. Unfortunately, it came off badly. He's not a self-righteous, hero complex sort of dude...in fact he's quite opposite to it. So Red_Coat, you nailed it dead on. Everyone else, who likes to mock him/his profile....well, fact is, you're mocking someone who's intent wasn't what you ASSUME it was and you're just being childish. None of our members see ourselves as heroes or anything of that nature. In fact, most of us are very laid back about our role and tend to enjoy doing our jobs.....well, except for the projectile vomit calls. :((

Unfortunately that bio is a perfect example of online sarcasm gone awry - sometimes it really just isn't worth the effort to get creative and "funny" with something like that. He'd be better to just put in some fluff about why he enjoys the job and anonymous "background info" about putting his training and experience to good use making Mac a safer place for students, staff and the Hamilton community, and enjoying long walks on the beach...

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Unfortunately that bio is a perfect example of online sarcasm gone awry - sometimes it really just isn't worth the effort to get creative and "funny" with something like that.

Well, everyone makes a mistake and now that people know how it was meant, I'm thinking they need to ease up on the guy. I may be the total and complete opposite of him in the way and manner I do the same job, but he doesn't deserve the jabs he's taking. Plain and simple.

As for the people who are attending the testing on February 22.....good luck and here's a few reminders.

- Bring all your paperwork (resume, copies of diplomas/degrees/certificates, etc)
- Be early
- Dress appropriately
- Don't feed the Mac constables who walk by......once you feed us, you'll never get rid of us! LOL

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm

red_coat wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:Not to try an create an elution here but in McMaster's case it was HPS that pushed for OC spray for the university specials and it was HPS that implemented the inclusion of firearms training (i.e. what the PC's get) into the university's use of force training. Their (open) reason regarding that training was for active shooter situations should one occur and an HPS member become incapacitated in the company of a McMaster member. In a number of situations (i.e. meetings, training...) HPS members, many of rank, comments on how they held the opinion that the McMaster special constables should be armed.

If you were armed, what would be the difference between you and a police officer then? Do you think they are implying that you should be real cops, and not specials? I'm not trying to start a war, I'm actually curious.

In one instance the comment came from an Inspector. It came during a debrief after a joint Active Shooter exercise. When the Mac Director (retired HPS Superintendent) gave him an odd look the Inspector commented on the point of fact that the university specials were always going to be the first responders to all situations on the campus and that likely one or more would be caught up in an incident before getting warning of how serious it may actually be. On other occasions that sentiment was echoed by persons of various ranks and including members of the Training Branch during Use of Force sessions.

You would have to speak to one of those that commented to ascertain the "police angel", but my take on it was purely based on the fact that the university specials could, by virtue of them being ever present on the campus, be a quicker intervention to stop, or at least hold at bay, the suspect in a serious violent situation such as an active shooter.

The reality of our world is that it is not perfect. We must work with what we have at hand. With what has been transpiring globally violence seems to come to the most benign of places such as a school (what level level it may be). Having a immediate intervention source could make the difference. I think it was that aspect rather than being viewed as police that they were aiming at.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Unfortunately that bio is a perfect example of online sarcasm gone awry - sometimes it really just isn't worth the effort to get creative and "funny" with something like that.

Well, everyone makes a mistake and now that people know how it was meant, I'm thinking they need to ease up on the guy. I may be the total and complete opposite of him in the way and manner I do the same job, but he doesn't deserve the jabs he's taking. Plain and simple.

As for the people who are attending the testing on February 22.....good luck and here's a few reminders.

- Bring all your paperwork (resume, copies of diplomas/degrees/certificates, etc)
- Be early
- Dress appropriately
- Don't feed the Mac constables who walk by......once you feed us, you'll never get rid of us! LOL

Crap, I can think of two that would likely mistake a persons hand/arm as a food source during the feeding frenzy. :roll:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Angerman
Rookie Member

Postby Angerman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:45 pm

devilwoman wrote:As for the people who are attending the testing on February 22.....good luck and here's a few reminders.

- Be early
- Dress appropriately

Like the lady said, good luck to anyone coming out tomorrow. Coming early is good advice, the convenient parking is expensive, and the inexpensive parking is inconvenient.

http://parking.mcmaster.ca/images/Parking-Map-2011.jpg

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:53 pm

the convenient parking is expensive, and the inexpensive parking is inconvenient.

You totally took 30 minutes to come up with that witty retort!

But seriously, park in Lot M, there's a shuttle bus that will bring you up to "upper" campus (near our office) and its a short walk in an easterly direction to reach the area where the testing is held. The shuttle bus stops at the roadway between lots M and N.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm

devilwoman wrote:- Don't feed the Mac constables who walk by......once you feed us, you'll never get rid of us! LOL

And if one approaches you, don't run away. Stand up as tall as possible and wave your arms, and shout loudly as you back away. If you have a stick, bang it on the ground.

Oh, wait. That's coyotes. Never mind.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:02 pm

As was said I have never Special bashed and I have no doubt you do a fine job, but the fact remains that his profile reflects poorly on him and, by extension that it is posted on an official site, the organization.

I know you haven't. It wasn't meant as a "joke", more so he was, from my understanding, not wanting to put anything personal in it. I can maybe, gently, suggest that it be rewritten (I'll try to figure out a way to say it that won't sound like I'm bashing the guy). Beyond that, not much I can do. The only point I can emphasize is this....its not him making himself out to be some hero.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 pm

argyll wrote:Where did I say I have a problem with specials ?????????? That's your leap, not mine.

Ok, I re-read and you're correct. I stand corrected.