GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Drache
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Drache » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 am

IrishCanadian wrote:Do you not see the flaw in your own logic?

I bet the people who you didn't think would be good RCMP officers passed all the RCMP's testing requirements.

What's the point of having the test otherwise? Everyone should just be allowed to walk into the job and try it, because they might be a really fine BSO. The odds are, they won't be though. That's what I was talking about earlier. Life sucks. Not everyone can be what they want to be.

These aptitude tests are done for a reason. It's because there has to be a cut off, a standard, a bar to meet. It does test some skills that you need in day to day functions. Being a dynamic work environment it's impossible to test for abilities in dealing with some of the stuff we do, but we do test for the things we can control. Literacy, math, and memory are all important day to day.

If there is one thing I feel that our recruitment process does well, it's this aptitude test. It still has a large number of people successfully pass it, but also brings down the number of applicants to more manageable numbers by placing an objective transparent standard that people have to meet.

Those RCMP officers I was talking about passed their tests by the "skin of their teeth" as the saying goes and one of them actually had to almost "beg for a chance". And like I said, not they are some of the finest officers I've ever met.

And I don't know what you mean "large number of people successfully pass it" since the moment our asses were in our chairs we were told that only 35% of us or less would successfully pass the test. So out of the group of 30 (only a single test on a single day for Northern BC), only 3 or 4 would pass according to their logic. Then I was told that there "weren't enough people to have interviews in our area" to which they weren't even going to tell anyone until I emailed and asked. Doesn't seem like large number to me....

Surviss
Rookie Member

Postby Surviss » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Ok, so there is a test that acts as a filter to ensure that only those that have a modicum of core skills are permitted to the next level. Fair enough.
We all want to work with skilled, competent people at our sides. Alrighty. Some feel the system is flawed or that maybe they were not treated equitably. That happens.
My point had nothing to do with the test, standards, or any form of member stretching... :swords:
There are many applicants that will fail. Some will pass. Some will even enjoy employment. Some will hate it.
However, all have ridden the rollercoaster of CBSA recruitment with the attendant joys and frustrations.
Is this forum the domain of those that have succeeded in the process, or those that have "applied" themselves to it?
What does it cost those that carry on to the next step to give a sh*t about those that fell? Whether a guy was completely incompetent or had a crappy day, or an ignorant interviewer, or whatever... Can we collectively say, "Gee, that sucks, man..." without calling him a worthless piece of crap?!

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:37 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
Pacific_BSO wrote:
Bob this is a great career and last I checked, posting on here is not a test. Personally 280 pages of the 300+ in the Ask the CBSA! don't answer any questions. Recruits most likely feel like someone is going to bite their heads off now for asking a question that MAY have been asked on page 168 of that thread. I don't have all day to look through that rubbish. Yes some of it is good, but you gotta sift through it like sifting through the stack of candidates where your folder's in. By saying "they want it spoon fed, and they want an "in" with minimal effort.", you're suggesting that this is the effort other recruits like yourself are going to put out for the recruitment process itself. That's quite an ignorant comment; it puts down every single person who has asked a legitimate question that he or she doesn't know but has been said in some page written 2 years ago. It also diminishes your credibility. Sounds like you are out for yourself and only yourself. I hope that won't be the attitude you will take on the line or you'll wind up in the Cheif's office faster than a blink of an eye. Recruits, ask all the questions you want, I certainly won't get mad and start banging on the keys.

So you mean you'll end up as the Chief with that attitude right?

Not as the Cheif, having a "chat" with the Cheif about having a piss poor attitude.
**CBSA Officer**

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:29 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:I too find the attitudes of some of the people here really disconcerting. I've ask about 3 questions and told to read through the 300+ pages of the Ask thread. I'm up to page 200 and unless I've missed it, my questions weren't answered. There are 300 pages and MAYBE one question answered per page, maybe. So far all the "newer" guys seem to be sticking together and trying to answer each other's questions as much as possible.

As for the test Christ Sakes people! Maybe he had a bad day, really bad headache, hell maybe his math and his english skills aren't that good! I've met MANY people who I thought wouldn't make good RCMP Officers and now they are damn FINE Officers and I'm proud to know them! Doing this job has NOTHING to do with how well you can answer questions on a test (ok some sections of that test maybe) but he might have done bad on the test and yet make a really fine BSO!

Do you not see the flaw in your own logic?

I bet the people who you didn't think would be good RCMP officers passed all the RCMP's testing requirements.

What's the point of having the test otherwise? Everyone should just be allowed to walk into the job and try it, because they might be a really fine BSO. The odds are, they won't be though. That's what I was talking about earlier. Life sucks. Not everyone can be what they want to be.

These aptitude tests are done for a reason. It's because there has to be a cut off, a standard, a bar to meet. It does test some skills that you need in day to day functions. Being a dynamic work environment it's impossible to test for abilities in dealing with some of the stuff we do, but we do test for the things we can control. Literacy, math, and memory are all important day to day.

If there is one thing I feel that our recruitment process does well, it's this aptitude test. It still has a large number of people successfully pass it, but also brings down the number of applicants to more manageable numbers by placing an objective transparent standard that people have to meet.

Thanks for the backup, Cochise! ... and to all those that PM'd me, too. :alright:

There isn't a test to become Chief, is there? :smirk: Feel the love people, 'cause I can't wait to meet everyone at Rigaud this year, and then y'all can find out what a big, bad asshole I really am. :wave:
"One more thing..."

Richie Rich
Rookie Member

Postby Richie Rich » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:35 pm

:stupid: Bob, you're a bid bad wolf who will blow down all their little houses. I would love to see some of more sensitive types in military camp, where they kick you in the nads, yell at you for expressing pain and then feed you slop. HA!
Oh no ! I may have offended someone. Here comes the backlash. :boxer:
Applied: April/08
Bsot written: June 22/08,Passed: July/08
Interview: Aug 27/08,PASSED: Nov 4/08
CPR/First aid: have
Firearms safety course: Aug 23/24, '08
PAL November 4, 2008
Psych Feb 02/09 Passed-notified March 25/09
Rigaud: In the pool and swimming.

mtljoe82
Rookie Member

Postby mtljoe82 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 pm

since the moment our asses were in our chairs we were told that only 35% of us or less would successfully pass the test. So out of the group of 30 only 3 or 4 would pass according to their logic.

so, 35% of 30 is 3 or 4? :dubious:looks like you failed the math section. :thumbsup:
Dec. 19th 2008- Applied to CSC
Jun. 3rd 2009- Values interview- PASSED
Jul. 1st 2009- Medical-PASSED
Sept. 29th 2009 Role play - PASSED
Jan. 25th 2010-Online training-PASSED
Mar. 29th 2010-CTP- PASSED
Jun. 7th 2010-OJT- PASSED
Sept. 20th 2010- HIRED!!!!

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:38 pm

If people don't want to read the 300+ pages of "Ask the CBSA" and mine for gold, that is their prerogative. Just as it is my prerogative not to waste my personal time, doing research and two-finger typing out a response to a question that is unanswerable, unknowable, undisclosable, ridiculous, redundant or already asked and answered.

I have found BobB to be one of the most "switched on" CBSA applicants on this board and would look forward to seeing him at a port near me. I don't know that that holds true for a bunch of the other clowns on here.

FYI - There actually is an aptitude test for Superintendent, Chief and Director - it called the "in basket" test .

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:02 pm

El Conejo wrote:I have found BobB to be one of the most "switched on" CBSA applicants on this board and would look forward to seeing him at a port near me. I don't know that that holds true for a bunch of the other clowns on here.

That's awsome El Conejo, and it means the world to me. Thanks for your support, because I don't know what else to say, except that I will see you at the ports.

BobB
"One more thing..."

three-six
Rookie Member

Postby three-six » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:52 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
Pacific_BSO wrote:
IrishCanadian wrote:So you mean you'll end up as the Chief with that attitude right?

Not as the Cheif, having a "chat" with the Cheif about having a piss poor attitude.

whooosh?

I would certainly say so.
--

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 am

El Conejo wrote:If people don't want to read the 300+ pages of "Ask the CBSA" and mine for gold, that is their prerogative. Just as it is my prerogative not to waste my personal time, doing research and two-finger typing out a response to a question that is unanswerable, unknowable, undisclosable, ridiculous, redundant or already asked and answered.

I have found BobB to be one of the most "switched on" CBSA applicants on this board and would look forward to seeing him at a port near me. I don't know that that holds true for a bunch of the other clowns on here.

HEAR HEAR! (And I'll call you a fricken bastard cause I wanted to say all those pretty words!)
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:07 pm

mtljoe82 wrote:since the moment our asses were in our chairs we were told that only 35% of us or less would successfully pass the test. So out of the group of 30 only 3 or 4 would pass according to their logic.

so, 35% of 30 is 3 or 4? :dubious:looks like you failed the math section. :thumbsup:

Damn, beat me to it :P

Anyway, I've always been fairly good at tests throughout university and such. I'm not a genius but I'm not stupid either. I've passed the ATS tests w/o problem and got like a 4.25 on the RCMP written. I only just passed the BSOT (like 600ish). That test is hard, which is fine by me. I wouldn't look down on anyone who came somewhat close to passing, but I try fairly hard not to look down on people period.

Just rewrite now that you know what to expect. When you make it to the pre-POERT pool I'll still probably be there :) Good luck, retry, look at other option and don't give up.

Btw, RCMP interview tomorrow. Wish me luck :) Maybe I should review the competencies instead of browsing the blue line.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

KerO96
Rookie Member

Postby KerO96 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:29 pm

first off, im a little sad my thread got changed.... :((

on to more important things... so i got another piece of correspondence today after 3-4 months of nothing. This is a new one. Im schd next week for a SECURITY INTERVIEW. To talk about my friends, family, lifestyle, habits bla bla bla.....
Havent heard of this before can someone shed some light? Is this standard?
Applied: March/08
BSOT Written: June/08
BSOT Passed: June/08
Interview: July/08
Interview Results: Successful
CPR/First aid: Obtained
PAL: Jan/09
Security Clearance: Application Pending
Psychological Evaluation: Pending
POERT: TBD

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:59 pm

"Whooosh"? Irish, clarify yourself
**CBSA Officer**

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:04 pm

KerO96 wrote:first off, im a little sad my thread got changed.... :((

on to more important things... so i got another piece of correspondence today after 3-4 months of nothing. This is a new one. Im schd next week for a SECURITY INTERVIEW. To talk about my friends, family, lifestyle, habits bla bla bla.....
Havent heard of this before can someone shed some light? Is this standard?

Don't recall reading about that in the other thread. Seems a bit unusual, but who knows. Could be standard procedure for all I know. They probably just have some questions to clear up or something.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.