GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Drache
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Drache » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Pacific_BSO wrote:
BobB wrote:"Lousy point"? What are you trying to say? He bombed the BSOT and feels there is some sort of onus that falls on the CBSA to re-score his Scantron and find an extra point so that he passes by the absolute minimum required? Give me a break - is 50% that much better than 49% (either way, you produced shit)? Notwithstanding whatever credentials this candidate presents to the organization, his score is an indicator that there exists better qualified recruits to choose from. "One Lousy point" my ass; I studied, applied myself in areas that I required work on, and consequently annihilated that test. I've been waiting far too long for a seat at Rigaud to compete with people that can barely pass an aptitude test, let alone acquire the aptiude necessary to search an open-source forum.

Bob it's having a piss poor attitude like that that will get you tossed out of Rigaud. Let's say they do find him a point and he passes, do you think that a TEST is going to make you a better officer than him? I sense an over-confident cocky attitude thinking you're king shyt. The facilitators in Rigaud won't be gunnin for you I can tell you that.

Very well said sir, I salute you! :thumbsup:

west_coast
Rookie Member

Postby west_coast » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 pm

I'd like to think the other posters here would be more sympathetic towards others. I've heard from friends in CBSA that the test itself is used as a filter to see which of the applicants gets to go forward to the interview stage. That being said there are other federal departments that use a minimum test score (DFAIT being one) to determine a cut off to see who gets an interview and who doesn't. I passed and did well enough I'd say but not stellar by any means.

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Wow I am impressed. People are finally recognizing/realizing the negativity that plagues the CBSA threads.

Honestly, there needs to be support around here, instead of grinding people into the ground for asking "stupid questions" or making odd statements etc etc.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys/gals ( :thumbsup: John014). I didn't mean to offend or insult, nor was I being cocky - I've met other members on this forum in person, chit-chatted over email and PM, and have seen BSOT scores that would make Stephen Hawking blush. This board is not meant to hold applicant's hands and have a snuggle when things don't go as desired. The BSOT is relied upon by the CBSA as a rubric to assess candidate suitability, plain and simple. I'm left confused by some of the feedback on here that seems to discount the value of the BSOT, as well as the testing at Rigaud. I happen to take this organization and career very seriously, respect its members and mandate, as well as its entry requirements. Also, I have met others on this board that will make intrepid BSO's who most likely fared better than I at various stages of the recruitment process. None of the people I have met or spoke to feel the sense of entitlement that permeates the posts of new recruits. What is so hard to understand that if you fail the BSOT, the CBSA is in no way tasked to find a way for you to pass by the absolute, bare minimum. A failing BSOT score means that you are likely not suited towards becoming a BSO. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy my friends. As for the comment that refers to the CBSA threads as negative, I would have to disagree. I owe a priceless thanks to Gadget, Irish, PHB, Portcullisguy, El Conejo, and the rest of the officers on here for their advice, both through the open source forums, as well as PM's. As Gadget mentioned in another thread, the officers and fellow recruits aren't out to insult you, they're just tired of reading the same old hat from newbs that don't bother to read 300+ pages of virtual gold - they want it spoon fed, and they want an "in" with minimal effort. I'm sorry - on the other hand, I'm not - mediocrity doesn't cut the mustard, so don't come on here and tell me that I'm a pompous asshole because I take pride in this process and organization, as well as my fellow recruits that take this career path as seriously, and competitively as I do.

Good luck to all in the process,
BobB
"One more thing..."

three-six
Rookie Member

Postby three-six » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:31 pm

BobB wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys/gals ( :thumbsup: John014). I didn't mean to offend or insult, nor was I being cocky - I've met other members on this forum in person, chit-chatted over email and PM, and have seen BSOT scores that would make Stephen Hawking blush. This board is not meant to hold applicant's hands and have a snuggle when things don't go as desired. The BSOT is relied upon by the CBSA as a rubric to assess candidate suitability, plain and simple. I'm left confused by some of the feedback on here that seems to discount the value of the BSOT, as well as the testing at Rigaud. I happen to take this organization and career very seriously, respect its members and mandate, as well as its entry requirements. Also, I have met others on this board that will make intrepid BSO's who most likely fared better than I at various stages of the recruitment process. None of the people I have met or spoke to feel the sense of entitlement that permeates the posts of new recruits. What is so hard to understand that if you fail the BSOT, the CBSA is in no way tasked to find a way for you to pass by the absolute, bare minimum. A failing BSOT score means that you are likely not suited towards becoming a BSO. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy my friends. As for the comment that refers to the CBSA threads as negative, I would have to disagree. I owe a priceless thanks to Gadget, Irish, PHB, Portcullisguy, El Conejo, and the rest of the officers on here for their advice, both through the open source forums, as well as PM's. As Gadget mentioned in another thread, the officers and fellow recruits aren't out to insult you, they're just tired of reading the same old hat from newbs that don't bother to read 300+ pages of virtual gold - they want it spoon fed, and they want an "in" with minimal effort. I'm sorry - on the other hand, I'm not - mediocrity doesn't cut the mustard, so don't come on here and tell me that I'm a pompous asshole because I take pride in this process and organization, as well as my fellow recruits that take this career path as seriously, and competitively as I do.

BobB

Oh NO he didn't!
--

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:39 am

BobB wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys/gals ( :thumbsup: John014). I didn't mean to offend or insult, nor was I being cocky - I've met other members on this forum in person, chit-chatted over email and PM, and have seen BSOT scores that would make Stephen Hawking blush. This board is not meant to hold applicant's hands and have a snuggle when things don't go as desired. The BSOT is relied upon by the CBSA as a rubric to assess candidate suitability, plain and simple. I'm left confused by some of the feedback on here that seems to discount the value of the BSOT, as well as the testing at Rigaud. I happen to take this organization and career very seriously, respect its members and mandate, as well as its entry requirements. Also, I have met others on this board that will make intrepid BSO's who most likely fared better than I at various stages of the recruitment process. None of the people I have met or spoke to feel the sense of entitlement that permeates the posts of new recruits. What is so hard to understand that if you fail the BSOT, the CBSA is in no way tasked to find a way for you to pass by the absolute, bare minimum. A failing BSOT score means that you are likely not suited towards becoming a BSO. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy my friends. As for the comment that refers to the CBSA threads as negative, I would have to disagree. I owe a priceless thanks to Gadget, Irish, PHB, Portcullisguy, El Conejo, and the rest of the officers on here for their advice, both through the open source forums, as well as PM's. As Gadget mentioned in another thread, the officers and fellow recruits aren't out to insult you, they're just tired of reading the same old hat from newbs that don't bother to read 300+ pages of virtual gold - they want it spoon fed, and they want an "in" with minimal effort. I'm sorry - on the other hand, I'm not - mediocrity doesn't cut the mustard, so don't come on here and tell me that I'm a pompous asshole because I take pride in this process and organization, as well as my fellow recruits that take this career path as seriously, and competitively as I do.

BobB

Bob this is a great career and last I checked, posting on here is not a test. Personally 280 pages of the 300+ in the Ask the CBSA! don't answer any questions. Recruits most likely feel like someone is going to bite their heads off now for asking a question that MAY have been asked on page 168 of that thread. I don't have all day to look through that rubbish. Yes some of it is good, but you gotta sift through it like sifting through the stack of candidates where your folder's in. By saying "they want it spoon fed, and they want an "in" with minimal effort.", you're suggesting that this is the effort other recruits like yourself are going to put out for the recruitment process itself. That's quite an ignorant comment; it puts down every single person who has asked a legitimate question that he or she doesn't know but has been said in some page written 2 years ago. It also diminishes your credibility. Sounds like you are out for yourself and only yourself. I hope that won't be the attitude you will take on the line or you'll wind up in the Cheif's office faster than a blink of an eye. Recruits, ask all the questions you want, I certainly won't get mad and start banging on the keys.
**CBSA Officer**

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:49 am

IrishCanadian wrote:

BobB

Dude, don't you know... CBSA is where you can get a gun without having to meet a physical standard. That's the reason I applied. Take your "pride" and "respect" and most of all, your "grounded perspective" elsewhere.

Have you learned nothing growing up in the "Me First" Generation? You can do anything, and noone should be able to stop you. Anybody, even little One-Lung Tommy Tuberculosis can be an Olympic marathon runner if he wants to.

If you are denied or fail at something, it's not because you aren't good enough, it's because there is some inherent discrimination or flaw in the system. The only way to deal with situations like these is to complain to progessively higher levels of management, the same thing you would do at any retail store that isn't giving you the deal you want.

*ZWAP*

Awwwww shittt I was drinking the koo-alid again. Sonfoa.... :banghead:

Dude, I hope you are being sarcastic about the gun comment. If not then I hope they put your trigger happy fingers on the bottom of the arming list for your district.
**CBSA Officer**

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:51 am

Wow too much sensitivity going on.
BOB B didnt tell him his question was stupid.
He was saying that if you did not pass the second step (step one being applying with the minimum requirements) then maybe you are not fit to be a BSO or maybe your not going to pass the many more steps there are.
And I agree 100%
Ok he sounded a little harsh, too bad so sad.
Yes people need to actually start answering questions imposed to them on the ASK forums without biting someones head off.
But when you are getting the same Q's over and over and there are the legitimately stupid questions, then by all means they deserve stupid freaking answers.

If you did not pass (this is not meant at any ONE single person this is to everyone and anyone who feels like reading my HO) then it is by some small part your fault.
Maybe you had an off day/the weather was bad, the recruiter got shit on by their husband and was cranky etc....
But if you cannot pass the part that is not actually put in the hands of a human to screw up, then it is your fault.

Why spend the money/time/space on someone who cannot pass the bare minimum when we have so many applicants that are more qualified and actually passed the test sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting patiently to go to Rigaud?

Also (on a similar but different note) I see where some say it is all about the team, but there were a few in Rigaud who we are glad that they did not make it.
Sure you need to help and support people, but sometimes you have to think if you really want this dipshit possibly getting you killed later on in your career. Some people are not cut out to do this no matter how bad they want it.

Good luck to all.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Surviss
Rookie Member

Postby Surviss » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:55 am

* "Lousy point"? What are you trying to say? *

This was a mild expression of sympathy. Look it up. We all try to the best of our abilities, and a pat on the back to someone that didn't make it doesn't hurt anyone. It is possible to be a hard-ass public servant without perpetuating the perception that BSOs are jerks. I hear that crap enough, but I still intend to act like a human being on the line, and in forums. Got a problem with that, Bob? He didn't make it, why SH*T on him...If you feel better that the competition is thinned out, keep it to yourself, IMHO. I have less than half a dozen posts here so far, and this negative attitude from "seniors" is discouraging.

.02, rant over...

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:08 am

Surviss wrote:* "Lousy point"? What are you trying to say? *

This was a mild expression of sympathy. Look it up. We all try to the best of our abilities, and a pat on the back to someone that didn't make it doesn't hurt anyone. It is possible to be a hard-ass public servant without perpetuating the perception that BSOs are jerks. I hear that crap enough, but I still intend to act like a human being on the line, and in forums. Got a problem with that, Bob? He didn't make it, why SH*T on him...If you feel better that the competition is thinned out, keep it to yourself, IMHO. I have less than half a dozen posts here so far, and this negative attitude from "seniors" is discouraging.

.02, rant over...

With his hard assed response I at first thought he wanted to be RCMP! :mrgreen: (Kidding of course to all the RCMP members here!)

I too find the attitudes of some of the people here really disconcerting. I've ask about 3 questions and told to read through the 300+ pages of the Ask thread. I'm up to page 200 and unless I've missed it, my questions weren't answered. There are 300 pages and MAYBE one question answered per page, maybe. So far all the "newer" guys seem to be sticking together and trying to answer each other's questions as much as possible.

As for the test Christ Sakes people! Maybe he had a bad day, really bad headache, hell maybe his math and his english skills aren't that good! I've met MANY people who I thought wouldn't make good RCMP Officers and now they are damn FINE Officers and I'm proud to know them! Doing this job has NOTHING to do with how well you can answer questions on a test (ok some sections of that test maybe) but he might have done bad on the test and yet make a really fine BSO!