GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Enforce_88
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Enforce_88 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Can anyone confirm when the last time the CBSA actually posted for FT BSO's? I've searched on and off again the past few months and have never found a post. I saw a few comments back that a new link came up? A check on the site today confirms no jobs are available.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:31 pm

Enforce_88 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Can anyone confirm when the last time the CBSA actually posted for FT BSO's? I've searched on and off again the past few months and have never found a post. I saw a few comments back that a new link came up? A check on the site today confirms no jobs are available.
There was an announcement Monday, Nov 30th, for a posting with a link to it, that didn't work.

Jobs open to the public
1. CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program - Bilingual positions across Canada!
Canada Border Services Agency
Various Locations
Bilingual - Imperative
$64,234 to $71,525
Closing date: 2020-12-02

There was a link for a posting at the govt jobs site, the link pointed to an external site that went nowhere.

On Tuesday, Dec 1st, was announced that posting will follow, it never did.

Jobs open to the public
1. CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program - Bilingual positions across Canada! (advertisement coming soon)
Various Locations
Bilingual - Imperative
$64,234 to $71,525

Maybe CBSA realized they have a few hundred applicants already waiting for intake ;)

Or maybe it will appear soon.

jwlong
Rookie Member

Postby jwlong » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 pm

Enforce_88 wrote:
Pretty sure they’ll have another one come the new year but hard to say. A lot of people waiting. Just keep checking. Last one I think was 2018 maybe I’m wrong on that.
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE Sept 2020
RPAL: March 2019
OITP: Jan 4 2021
Rigaud: Jan 25 2021
15D class

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:05 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:31 pm
Enforce_88 wrote:
There was an announcement Monday, Nov 30th, for a posting with a link to it, that didn't work.

Jobs open to the public
1. CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program - Bilingual positions across Canada!
Various Locations
Bilingual - Imperative
$64,234 to $71,525

There was a link for a posting at the govt jobs site, the link pointed to an external site that went nowhere.

On Tuesday, Dec 1st, was announced that posting will follow, it never did.

Jobs open to the public
1. CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program - Bilingual positions across Canada! (advertisement coming soon)
Various Locations
Bilingual - Imperative
$64,234 to $71,525

Maybe CBSA realized they have a few hundred applicants already waiting for intake ;)

Or maybe it will appear soon.
Key word in that posting is Bilingual; so presumably, they're targeting applicants who can speak both official languages, pending SLE of course. Seeing as though it was also only open for 2-3 days, hard to say it would have garnered 20k applicants like years past.

And if memory serves me right, last posting was from the beginning of January 2019 to the first week of February 2019, posted for +/- 30days. Like IronWolf said, there's a slew of intake ready applicants so the next posting might not be open year-round like previous years.

Weaken
Rookie Member

Postby Weaken » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:38 pm

jwlong wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 pm
Enforce_88 wrote:
Pretty sure they’ll have another one come the new year but hard to say. A lot of people waiting. Just keep checking. Last one I think was 2018 maybe I’m wrong on that.
I believe it's the posting I applied to in 2018, so I think you're correct.

https://imgur.com/saIqhSg
CBSA
Applied 14-08-2018
OTEE 20-10-2018
Interview 20-03-2019
PARE 13-04-2019
Psyc 04-10-2019
Medical 10-02-2020
Sec. Int 28-04-2020
OITP
Rigaud

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 am

jwlong wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 pm
Enforce_88 wrote:
https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/ ... er=1252457

January/February 2019 was the last Full Time/Part-Time BSO posting.

frost2k
Rookie Member

Postby frost2k » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 am

If there any former SBSOs in this thread, could you offer some insight into what the day-to-day work of an SBSO with an airport posting might look like? Thanks!

ellecee
Rookie Member

Postby ellecee » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Has anyone from the Greater Vancouver Area received any updates/invites regarding their MMPI re-take, or has it been radio silence since we last submitted the Release of Info form back in July?

I recently emailed Recruiting requesting for an update, if any, and they replied advising that I was unsuccesful in the MMPI and would have to wait 2 years to re-take it, despite the attached email thread stating otherwise. Has this happened to anyone else before? I emailed back to clarify that I have passed all stages and am just waiting to retake the psych exam (expiring in the new year), and if they might be able to provide any information on when the next invites for the test might be sent out.

Thank you!
Applied: April 2018
Interview: Nov 2018
Psych: Jan 2019
Medical: May 2019 (extended)
Clearance: Sept 2019
PARE: Jan 2020
Written Exam Alternative: Sept 2020
Psych Retake: ?
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

hsinom
Veteran Member

Postby hsinom » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:00 am

ellecee wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:31 pm
Has anyone from the Greater Vancouver Area received any updates/invites regarding their MMPI re-take, or has it been radio silence since we last submitted the Release of Info form back in July?

I recently emailed Recruiting requesting for an update, if any, and they replied advising that I was unsuccesful in the MMPI and would have to wait 2 years to re-take it, despite the attached email thread stating otherwise. Has this happened to anyone else before? I emailed back to clarify that I have passed all stages and am just waiting to retake the psych exam (expiring in the new year), and if they might be able to provide any information on when the next invites for the test might be sent out.

Thank you!
GVA here.I'd emailed to ask when I'd be rescheduled for the pysch test. I got generic repsonse stating I was at the MMPI stage and the usual to keep monitoring my emails. My pysch expired in October alongside with my PARE. My prior emails with them advised me we may not need to retake and the following one saying all steps will need to be retaken. I redid the PARE and then received another email a PARE extension has been done. So I'm not sure what to expect with the pysch they could easily grant a extension for 6 months but I think it's a situation of wait and see till next year.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Doc sent- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020
Pare- April 2019/Oct 2020
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

nhlmod
Rookie Member

Postby nhlmod » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:18 am

frost2k wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 am
If there any former SBSOs in this thread, could you offer some insight into what the day-to-day work of an SBSO with an airport posting might look like? Thanks!
Not a former SBSO but was a BSO at a major airport working closely with SBSO's. You wear the same uniform, carry the same tools but are stuck mostly working the primary functions. PIL, Podium, Immigration Point. Some of those are positions you stand in for long periods of time. You often get put into positions that full time officers dislike working.

That being said, you are working in a position and making your own determinations (in most cases). Decisions to release or refer travelers are made by you unless its a required referral. You gain excellent skills in learning how to quickly interview people, make quick decisions and from what I've seen generally, most SBSO's make great friends with other SBSO's and perhaps even some BSO's. It is an excellent summer job for a student where in my opinion the benefits far outweigh the negatives. It gives you a leg up if you wish to go full time. If you do wish to go full time at some point, a word of caution. If you get to Rigaud as a recruit, you need to abide by Rigauds way of doing things. It will be significantly different than how a major airport operates in that the discretion used at say a Pearson Airport is not something you would use at any point in Rigaud. You must be able to separate the two to be successful. You would have a great understanding of the mandatory questions and how the primary systems function that someone coming from outside would not have.

During summer months, its a typical full time job. I believe that the schedule is 10 hours roughly. It will be similar to what the full time officers are on. That could change based on what port you are at. It certainly isn't your retail job where you go in for 3 hours, take 5 off and go back for 3 hours.

If you are lucky and can make a name for yourself with some good referrals (quality, not quantity) and get to know some good solid full time officers, occasionally when its not so busy you can ask a superintendent if you can shadow a full time officer in secondary to get a good understanding of how that operates. I've had a few SBSO's shadow me over the time and I typically let them do the job with me standing next to them in case something bad happens like opening a suitcase being full of drugs. I wouldn't allow a student to do anything that would put them at risk or risk missing something important so if it was a high risk examination I would take over, but the typical exams I would allow them to conduct with a little over sight. Especially useful to those officers looking to go full time and wanting to understand how secondary works. To be honest though this is far from being guaranteed and you basically need to find a full time officer who is experienced enough and willing to work with students. Not all officers like students as they sometimes feel that its cheap labour that should be given to full time officers.

Hope this helps you. If you are on the fence about whether or not you wish to try full time, the SBSO is a way to get your feet wet. You will not experience the full job as you won't be arresting people, finding drugs or removing people from Canada (in the vast majority of cases...maybe someone dumb hands you a passport with a baggy of coke in it). So keep that in mind when making a decision as to whether to apply full time.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out to me via pm. Not sure if I will notice a reply here.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:19 am

nhlmod wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:18 am
frost2k wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 am
Not a former SBSO but was a BSO at a major airport working closely with SBSO's. You wear the same uniform, carry the same tools but are stuck mostly working the primary functions. PIL, Podium, Immigration Point. Some of those are positions you stand in for long periods of time. You often get put into positions that full time officers dislike working.

That being said, you are working in a position and making your own determinations (in most cases). Decisions to release or refer travelers are made by you unless its a required referral. You gain excellent skills in learning how to quickly interview people, make quick decisions and from what I've seen generally, most SBSO's make great friends with other SBSO's and perhaps even some BSO's. It is an excellent summer job for a student where in my opinion the benefits far outweigh the negatives. It gives you a leg up if you wish to go full time. If you do wish to go full time at some point, a word of caution. If you get to Rigaud as a recruit, you need to abide by Rigauds way of doing things. It will be significantly different than how a major airport operates in that the discretion used at say a Pearson Airport is not something you would use at any point in Rigaud. You must be able to separate the two to be successful. You would have a great understanding of the mandatory questions and how the primary systems function that someone coming from outside would not have.

During summer months, its a typical full time job. I believe that the schedule is 10 hours roughly. It will be similar to what the full time officers are on. That could change based on what port you are at. It certainly isn't your retail job where you go in for 3 hours, take 5 off and go back for 3 hours.

If you are lucky and can make a name for yourself with some good referrals (quality, not quantity) and get to know some good solid full time officers, occasionally when its not so busy you can ask a superintendent if you can shadow a full time officer in secondary to get a good understanding of how that operates. I've had a few SBSO's shadow me over the time and I typically let them do the job with me standing next to them in case something bad happens like opening a suitcase being full of drugs. I wouldn't allow a student to do anything that would put them at risk or risk missing something important so if it was a high risk examination I would take over, but the typical exams I would allow them to conduct with a little over sight. Especially useful to those officers looking to go full time and wanting to understand how secondary works. To be honest though this is far from being guaranteed and you basically need to find a full time officer who is experienced enough and willing to work with students. Not all officers like students as they sometimes feel that its cheap labour that should be given to full time officers.

Hope this helps you. If you are on the fence about whether or not you wish to try full time, the SBSO is a way to get your feet wet. You will not experience the full job as you won't be arresting people, finding drugs or removing people from Canada (in the vast majority of cases...maybe someone dumb hands you a passport with a baggy of coke in it). So keep that in mind when making a decision as to whether to apply full time.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out to me via pm. Not sure if I will notice a reply here.
These are some valuable insights :o Wonder if we can sticky this somewhere for those who are applying for SBSO.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

chimesandlimes
Rookie Member

Postby chimesandlimes » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am

Hey guys, just wanted to get an opinion.

I qualified as SBSO for summer 2020 but due to freaking covid, SBSO program was cancelled. Now I got email a couple of days ago asking if I want to be considered for SBSO summer 2021 as I had already qualified for this year. I am graduating next year in spring but one of the requirement is to be a "full-time returning fall 2021" student.

My question is, should I delay my graduation to stay in the process? Is it really worth it? Would the SBSO help me in landing the full-time BSO position? :ponder:

Thanks in advance. :)

nhlmod
Rookie Member

Postby nhlmod » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:23 pm

chimesandlimes wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am

I qualified as SBSO for summer 2020 but due to freaking covid, SBSO program was cancelled. Now I got email a couple of days ago asking if I want to be considered for SBSO summer 2021 as I had already qualified for this year. I am graduating next year in spring but one of the requirement is to be a "full-time returning fall 2021" student.

My question is, should I delay my graduation to stay in the process? Is it really worth it? Would the SBSO help me in landing the full-time BSO position? :ponder:

Reply to the email recruiting sent you. My understanding is recruiting now responds to polite emails that aren't just asking "why haven't I got my invite". Ask them if that requirement has changed given Covid. Highlight that you would still be a student upon being hired but that come fall, you intend to graduate and are unsure if you will return to school. If they tell you that you must be enrolled, then you must decide what is more important. Lots of valuable experience is gained by being an SBSO but it is not the only way to get hired. Volunteering is important, being a part of the community, working in positions like a higher end security guard (mall, large property where you do things, not like condo security).

I've known many good people get hired by CBSA full time without being a student. I know many students who were very good at their job be screened out throughout the process. Neither way is a guarantee. It really comes down to what you have accomplished in life, how active in the community you are, the work experience you have (not necessary to be law enforcement). My post about 3 above this outlines my opinions more on the student program.

At the end of the day, the Government does what the Government wants. If they have a need for students, they can change the rule about returning. Only they can tell you if they have changed it or are willing to give a little slack. Regardless, I highly recommend being honest with your intentions. Don't lie and say you plan to return for say a Master's program and then never enroll. That kind of stuff can haunt you for a long time if discovered during the process.

chimesandlimes
Rookie Member

Postby chimesandlimes » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:33 pm

nhlmod wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:23 pm
chimesandlimes wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am

Reply to the email recruiting sent you. My understanding is recruiting now responds to polite emails that aren't just asking "why haven't I got my invite". Ask them if that requirement has changed given Covid. Highlight that you would still be a student upon being hired but that come fall, you intend to graduate and are unsure if you will return to school. If they tell you that you must be enrolled, then you must decide what is more important. Lots of valuable experience is gained by being an SBSO but it is not the only way to get hired. Volunteering is important, being a part of the community, working in positions like a higher end security guard (mall, large property where you do things, not like condo security).

I've known many good people get hired by CBSA full time without being a student. I know many students who were very good at their job be screened out throughout the process. Neither way is a guarantee. It really comes down to what you have accomplished in life, how active in the community you are, the work experience you have (not necessary to be law enforcement). My post about 3 above this outlines my opinions more on the student program.

At the end of the day, the Government does what the Government wants. If they have a need for students, they can change the rule about returning. Only they can tell you if they have changed it or are willing to give a little slack. Regardless, I highly recommend being honest with your intentions. Don't lie and say you plan to return for say a Master's program and then never enroll. That kind of stuff can haunt you for a long time if discovered during the process.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer. Will definitely ask recruiting and tell about my situation. :D

umar99
Rookie Member

Postby umar99 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Hey Guys, hope all is well with everyone, just a small question for anyone who has completed their Pare in Ottawa. I live in Toronto and the only place that is offering is Ottawa. Do they actually ask for the Medical Clearance form? i do not mind getting it filled out by my family doctor but just curious.

thanks!