GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
chmor
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby chmor » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:23 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:58 pm
chmor wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Hey guys, quick question for you.

I have to confirm my interview and send in my documents. In one part of the email it says to send the documents via email but then it says to send the documents on epost connect for validation.

Should I just send it on both or is it just for Epost?

Thanks
reply to HR to ask for clarification, they will let you know

or read the email few more times, usually they are clear in their instructions

ePost is like email, as far as I know :

"epost Connect Recipient Guide
Step 1: Email invitation. You will receive a notification via email informing you that you have received an invitation to join a conversation from a collaborator or mailer. ..."
Thanks, the instructions I was looking for were clearly written in the Epost email. Just one of those days.
RPAL - Jan 12
Applied - Feb 20
OTEE - Mar 20
Interview - Aug 20(Passed)
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
PARE: TBD
Security: TBD
OITP:??
Rigaud: If lucky

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 pm

JetMoto87 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:23 pm
For people in the background stage, are you advised at any point after you sent the paperwork off that the process has actually started? I sent my paperwork off in January and have yet to hear back. Is the security interview the marking of the beginning of background or the end? I would think what you say in that interview would need to be verified
After I sent the completed security forms and documents, few days after I got this :

"The documents that you sent us for your security screening have been received and thoroughly reviewed.
We are pleased to inform you that you have reached the security screening level of the process.
..."

It was pretty much an automated email advising me that the Security checks start and it may take a while.

After that stage is done, the Integrity Interview email comes usually, then, as others mentioned, the results from the whole thing.

I wouldn't be worried at your place. You can always email HR to check if all is as expected and in progress.

MBtoBC
Rookie Member

Postby MBtoBC » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:24 am

JetMoto87 wrote:
For people in the background stage, are you advised at any point after you sent the paperwork off that the process has actually started? I sent my paperwork off in January and have yet to hear back. Is the security interview the marking of the beginning of background or the end? I would think what you say in that interview would need to be verified
When I was in the process the first thing I heard back besides it can take anywhere between 2 months and a year was on day 364 which is to schedule the Integrity Interview.
GCT+WCPT: Dec 2016
Interview: June 2017
Psych: July 2017
Security submitted: Aug 2017
Integrity Interview: Aug 2018
Online: Nov 2018
Rigaud: Jan 2019
Pac District -FB03
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:56 am

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 pm
JetMoto87 wrote:
After I sent the completed security forms and documents, few days after I got this :

"The documents that you sent us for your security screening have been received and thoroughly reviewed.
We are pleased to inform you that you have reached the security screening level of the process.
..."

It was pretty much an automated email advising me that the Security checks start and it may take a while.

After that stage is done, the Integrity Interview email comes usually, then, as others mentioned, the results from the whole thing.

I wouldn't be worried at your place. You can always email HR to check if all is as expected and in progress.
I received the same email 2 days after I sent off my documents. Then another 5 1/2 months to get an interview scheduled. Process time could vary depending on your situation/background and I guess whoever is reviewing your documents. I'm guessing they review your documents and check your background and history before conducting the interview because they would already know the answers to some of the questions that they will be asking you, and then verifying any new information that you give them. If that's the case, then I guess the interview is a sign that you're at the end of the background check.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

sunnysun
Rookie Member

Postby sunnysun » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 am

I was going through RCMP's website and it says that next troop is expected to start in January 2021.
I guess It will be same for CBSA as well or no? Or CBSA is still training candidates slowly but continuously?

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/accelerat ... ng-program

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 am

sunnysun wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 am
I was going through RCMP's website and it says that next troop is expected to start in January 2021.
I guess It will be same for CBSA as well or no? Or CBSA is still training candidates slowly but continuously?

The RCMP trains troops year round (in normal times), the CBSA does not.

The RCMP has also always had an opening to apply, whereas the CBSA hasn't been accepting applications since February, 2019.

While they are both federal law enforcement agencies, they really can't be compared with each other.
Correctional Peace Officer

sunnysun
Rookie Member

Postby sunnysun » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:40 am

Tornelco wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 am
sunnysun wrote:

The RCMP has also always had an opening to apply, whereas the CBSA hasn't been accepting applications since February, 2019.

While they are both federal law enforcement agencies, they really can't be compared with each other.
yes I guess you are right. I ask that because I was just wondering that two federal law enforcement agencies will almost follow same protocols in Covid-19. Anyways does anyone know that are there any groups in Rigaud at the moment? I think I read somewhere that some candidates are in quarantine there. is that correct? and which group is that A,B,C,D?

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:59 am

sunnysun wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:40 am
Tornelco wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 am
sunnysun wrote:

yes I guess you are right. I ask that because I was just wondering that two federal law enforcement agencies will almost follow same protocols in Covid-19. Anyways does anyone know that are there any groups in Rigaud at the moment? I think I read somewhere that some candidates are in quarantine there. is that correct? and which group is that A,B,C,D?
First point - Your original post included a link to the RCMP recruiting page, but it was for the accelerated training program. This is available for some police officers from different services who want to go to the RCMP, and it is not the same thing as the Cadet Training Program. Depot trains year round, and currently has troops back and training.

I also agree with Tornelco, you can't compare any agency to the next in the Federal Government. That's like comparing apples to pickerel. I would recommend that you read through this thread, as people have often answered your question in pages past. But to answer your question about quarantine, yes, if you go to Rigaud at the current moment, you will be quarantined for 2 weeks before resuming/starting training.

Best of luck in the process.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:38 pm

SBSO applications for 2021 are now open. Which indicates the training is back on in the plans for next year.

"Today, CBSA launches its Summer 2021 FSWEP hiring process for student border services officers!
Gain hands-on experience in a law-enforcement setting by applying!"

"Number of jobs
Approximately 300 Canada-wide"

"Experience working as a SBSO is considered an asset in the CBSA Officer Trainee Developmental Program selection process."

Good news.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:00 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:38 pm
SBSO applications for 2021 are now open. Which indicates the training is back on in the plans for next year.

"Today, CBSA launches its Summer 2021 FSWEP hiring process for student border services officers!

"Number of jobs

"Experience working as a SBSO is considered an asset in the CBSA Officer Trainee Developmental Program selection process."

Good news.
Excellent news.

I hope this means the regular BSO Officer Trainee Development Program job posting will follow shortly!

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:31 am

neonlights97 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:00 pm
IronWolf wrote:

"Number of jobs

Good news.
Excellent news.

I hope this means the regular BSO Officer Trainee Development Program job posting will follow shortly!
One doesn't necessarily equal the other. It's a decent indicator that the Agency thinks it will be able to take on SBSOs next summer (unlike this summer), however the SBSO poster goes up every year through FSWEP, doesn't mean that by next May they'll be in a different position than they were this year.

All I'll say is that while it's a potentially promising sign, to keep your hopes realistic based on current events. Also, since there's a wealth of applicants currently in limbo due to COVID, it could be some time before a poster appears, but like I said, no one really knows for sure!

Good luck!
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am

cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:31 am
neonlights97 wrote:
IronWolf wrote:

"Number of jobs

Good news.
Excellent news.

One doesn't necessarily equal the other. It's a decent indicator that the Agency thinks it will be able to take on SBSOs next summer (unlike this summer), however the SBSO poster goes up every year through FSWEP, doesn't mean that by next May they'll be in a different position than they were this year.

All I'll say is that while it's a potentially promising sign, to keep your hopes realistic based on current events. Also, since there's a wealth of applicants currently in limbo due to COVID, it could be some time before a poster appears, but like I said, no one really knows for sure!

Good luck!

cbmcmsa, would you mind if I sent you a PM regarding a question?

Cheers,
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:14 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:31 am
neonlights97 wrote:
IronWolf wrote:

"Number of jobs

Good news.
Excellent news.

Good luck!
Always appreciate your insightful and informative posts and responses cbmcmsa, thank you very much! :)

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:04 am

if the situation at Rigaud is similar to this shared post of an RCMP trainee, it is good, things are moving ...
epeac895 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 pm
33 is set to graduate on November 30th, if all goes as planned. 34 is still currently on their isolation period, but should resume training next Friday. From my count it looks as if we are now doing 25 weeks; all outside agency presentations got cut for obvious reasons. There is a cap on troops, partly for social distancing, but also due to the lack of individual rooms on base. The pits are not currently housing troops as it’s a group setting.

Keep active, stay fit and live your life. If things get rushed here nothing good will come of it, and then who knows how delayed things become.

Yes cadets are allowed off base, yes we can order skip/pizza. Everyone is making their own choices based off their risk tolerance. The key is being smart and only going off base for essentials. Instructors and support staff still come to work from the community, yes they are screen daily, but that is still a risk.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 am

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:04 am
if the situation at Rigaud is similar to this shared post of an RCMP trainee, it is good, things are moving ...
epeac895 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 pm
33 is set to graduate on November 30th, if all goes as planned. 34 is still currently on their isolation period, but should resume training next Friday. From my count it looks as if we are now doing 25 weeks; all outside agency presentations got cut for obvious reasons. There is a cap on troops, partly for social distancing, but also due to the lack of individual rooms on base. The pits are not currently housing troops as it’s a group setting.

Keep active, stay fit and live your life. If things get rushed here nothing good will come of it, and then who knows how delayed things become.

Yes cadets are allowed off base, yes we can order skip/pizza. Everyone is making their own choices based off their risk tolerance. The key is being smart and only going off base for essentials. Instructors and support staff still come to work from the community, yes they are screen daily, but that is still a risk.
Again, you can't compare one Agency to the next. Just because it works for the RCMP (in Regina) doesn't mean it will work for CBSA (Montreal's little neighbour). While I agree that the resumption of training is a positive, CBSA's procedure(s) relating to trainees at the college regarding COVID-19 will be determined wholly and solely by CBSA. This is regardless of people's personal beliefs about COVID-19, the Agency has the final say, and everyone should respect it (TBH).
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20