GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanBr19 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I believe passing the PARE as soon as you pass the interview gives the Recruitment team a clear sign of your commitment to the process.
In my case as soon as I passed the PARE , I got the psych invite.

But who knows , may have been a coincidence as well.

One thing I can advise you for the PARE is : do not underestimate it ;) , especially if you are not naturally in a great shape.

Good luck !
It is a coincidence. I passed my PARE before my interview and it doesn't matter, they didn't invite me to my interview until 4 months after I passed my PARE. They don't even ask you for proof of PARE until like way later.

DON'T get your pare until they ask for it, or you'll be stuck having to re-do your PARE like me since the CBSA has an even longer application process than the RCMP.
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:38 pm

umar99 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:19 pm
Hey guys hope all is well! I passed OTEE exam and recently passed Interview about 2 months ago and in the email that told me that i had passed my interview mentioned that i need to pass my pare test asap. On the CBSA website it mentions that I need to pass my pare test before riguad I was just wondering is that my second step or did they right that just because of the rush and everything.

I was thinking my second step would be medical or security?

Thanks and wish everyone goodluck :)
While I don't think that one needs to do the PARE immediately after completing the interview, I also do not believe that it's a good idea to leave it until the end - you may not pass it on the first (or second, or third) attempt and the institutes that run the PARE often book for weeks or even months in advance. The PARE is now valid for 18 months. I did the PARE a couple of months after passing my interview as I wanted to make sure that I COULD pass it. If I make it to the end of the selection process and it takes longer than the validity of my PARE results, I will simply take it again
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
OTEE - February 2019 (pass)
Interview - April 2019 (pass)
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019 (pass)
PARE - June 2019 (pass)
Psych Assessment (unsuitable)

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Quick reminder the CBSA process can take years.. So don't be in a rush to get that PARE test done lol.

I've been in the process since 2016 having been successful in every step so far. Having to redue things is annoying, costly, and unneeded stress. IMO
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Inserted
July 29th 2019: Psych Test - Written
Aug 20th: Medical Exam - Pass
Oct 22 Psych Interview -

kellylihomes
Veteran Member

Postby kellylihomes » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm
Quick reminder the CBSA process can take years.. So don't be in a rush to get that PARE test done lol.

I've been in the process since 2016 having been successful in every step so far. Having to redue things is annoying, costly, and unneeded stress. IMO

I am just wondering why did you have to re-apply if you were successful at all the steps? If you do not mind to share.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: September 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Integrity interview: Pending

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Postby CanBr19 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm
Tornelco wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm
CanBr19 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I believe passing the PARE as soon as you pass the interview gives the Recruitment team a clear sign of your commitment to the process.
In my case as soon as I passed the PARE , I got the psych invite.

But who knows , may have been a coincidence as well.
It is a coincidence. I passed my PARE before my interview and it doesn't matter, they didn't invite me to my interview until 4 months after I passed my PARE. They don't even ask you for proof of PARE until like way later.

DON'T get your pare until they ask for it, or you'll be stuck having to re-do your PARE like me since the CBSA has an even longer application process than the RCMP.
You write a completely different story from what I wrote :)
I said to do PARE after the Interview is done and successful, you did it months before you were even invited to an Interview :) If you don't see the difference, it is there and it's huge ;)

About CBSA "requesting" PARE results - They won't request it at all, as if you have passed the PARE at an authorized place, that PARE test location sends the results directly to CBSA :)
At least that's what my PARE testing center did.
Yes, coincidence sounds right. Recruitment spells out their hiring steps fairly clear in the information package. They don't necessarily monitor specific recruits on their eagerness with the steps. They lay out the basic information and the deadlines and you just have to meet them, period. There's thousands of applicants, no one person is "wow"ing them.
---------------
Applied: Jan 2019
OTEE: Mar 19
Int: TBD

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm
About CBSA "requesting" PARE results - They won't request it at all, as if you have passed the PARE at an authorized place, that PARE test location sends the results directly to CBSA :)
At least that's what my PARE testing center did.
Mine did the same. I did email CBSA to confirm that they received the results, but I did not have to send any paperwork myself.
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
PARE - June 2019 (pass)

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Postby CanBr19 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dankmb
Rookie Member

Postby dankmb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 am

For anyone interested my timeline is as follows:
Applied - Aug 2018
OTEE - Sept 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Psych - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Security - August 2019

OTEE, interview and psych were by far the easiest of the process - if these arent passed well.... i have no advice.

Security was not what i expected, hoping to hear something positive back :(

Good luck to those who have passed!

JeanFrancois
Seasoned Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:28 am

dankmb wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 am
Applied - Aug 2018
OTEE - Sept 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Psych - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Security - August 2019

OTEE, interview and psych were by far the easiest of the process - if these arent passed well.... i have no advice.

Why would you be blind sided by security? I'd argue that's one of the easier steps.
CBSA:
App: August 2018
O.T.E.E: Sept 2018
Interview: Jan 21 2019
PAL: Jul 2019
MMPI-2 Testing: Sept 6 2019
Psychologist Appointment: Sept 16 2019

My views and opinions are my own.

JEagle10
Rookie Member

Postby JEagle10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:25 pm

dankmb wrote:
Applied - Aug 2018
OTEE - Sept 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Psych - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Security - August 2019

I know you can’t give out much information.. but is security interview just them asking you questions about things you may or may not have done? I have my interview in a week
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - September 2019

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Just a little note;

Eagerness in the process, no matter how much you email, no matter how quickly you do things, does not get you anywhere before anyone else. It does not "show anyone you're committed" you are. If you're abiding by the deadlines they give you unless otherwise specified, you're committed enough to get to Rigaud. That's where they'll weed those who aren't committed out pretty darn quickly. The length of the process itself is a good way to get those who don't really want it out of the way.

Trust me when I say it's no use looking for advice on the steps that are coming. Your best bet is to be honest and forthcoming with whatever information they ask of you. Looking for tips is a way to get 100 different answers with varying levels of truth. Person X's experience with the interview may be vastly different than Person Y depending on what came up. When you ask "what might come up" on a forum, that's really a question for you. What have you done that might come up. If you can explain how and why decisions were made, and reflect on them in a positive/mature manner, you're A-OKAY. Everyone has done things they aren't proud of. It's how you grew from it that matters.

Hang in there folks.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

JeanFrancois
Seasoned Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:25 pm
dankmb wrote:
Applied - Aug 2018
OTEE - Sept 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Psych - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Security - August 2019

I know you can’t give out much information.. but is security interview just them asking you questions about things you may or may not have done? I have my interview in a week
They used to have applicants fill out a form a few years back, apparently they don't anymore. It contains "57" questions that may be similar to the ones asked in the interview. Google the form it's still kicking around.
CBSA:
App: August 2018
O.T.E.E: Sept 2018
Interview: Jan 21 2019
PAL: Jul 2019
MMPI-2 Testing: Sept 6 2019
Psychologist Appointment: Sept 16 2019

My views and opinions are my own.

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm
Just a little note;

Eagerness in the process, no matter how much you email, no matter how quickly you do things, does not get you anywhere before anyone else. It does not "show anyone you're committed" you are. If you're abiding by the deadlines they give you unless otherwise specified, you're committed enough to get to Rigaud. That's where they'll weed those who aren't committed out pretty darn quickly. The length of the process itself is a good way to get those who don't really want it out of the way.

Trust me when I say it's no use looking for advice on the steps that are coming. Your best bet is to be honest and forthcoming with whatever information they ask of you. Looking for tips is a way to get 100 different answers with varying levels of truth. Person X's experience with the interview may be vastly different than Person Y depending on what came up. When you ask "what might come up" on a forum, that's really a question for you. What have you done that might come up. If you can explain how and why decisions were made, and reflect on them in a positive/mature manner, you're A-OKAY. Everyone has done things they aren't proud of. It's how you grew from it that matters.

Hang in there folks.
Totally agree with you - great post 😁
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
PARE - June 2019 (pass)