GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
dankmb
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby dankmb » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:12 pm

A North wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:25 pm
dankmb wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 am
hsinom wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 am

Did they provide any update?
Just said that because my PARE test was originally due in March (to be considered for summer/spring intake) it has been extended until May since most places holding the tests are closing.
Did they at least give you until the end of May? I'm glad to hear they're at least starting to make accommodations either way.
I got til the beginning of May, my medical is also expired as of this month so i'll have to get that redone as well. But good news that things are still flowing even with everything going on in the world.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm

My educated guess is that things will not be getting better for the next 2 months, if the history in other affected countries is an indicator of what is next for us here.

generic930
Rookie Member

Postby generic930 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:12 pm

Rigaud CBSA college halted it’s training Tuesday the 17th and the recruits were sent home.

We were informed that they would resume their activities as soon as possible.

I was an attending recruit and have no other information than what I am sharing with you at this time.

Allot of you guys are eager to start and are probably worried about your tests expiring. My advice is be patient and don’t lose hope! Other applicants have been in your situation and finally made it there.

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm

generic930 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:12 pm
Rigaud CBSA college halted it’s training Tuesday the 17th and the recruits were sent home.

We were informed that they would resume their activities as soon as possible.

I was an attending recruit and have no other information than what I am sharing with you at this time.

Allot of you guys are eager to start and are probably worried about your tests expiring. My advice is be patient and don’t lose hope! Other applicants have been in your situation and finally made it there.
That really sucks for all of you. I can't imagine the disappointment after finally making it there. Totally understandable course of action though. Hopefully you'll get back there soon and thank you for the update.
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

new2this
Rookie Member

Postby new2this » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:48 am

Had my security interview last week, and just received an email telling me that my security clearance has been granted (papers were sent in November). I know that sometimes the order is not the same for everyone however, I haven't heard or received anything regarding my medical - so just wondering if this is normal? Obviously things are now going to be delayed but just hoping I didn't somehow miss an email or something.

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 am

new2this wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:48 am
Had my security interview last week, and just received an email telling me that my security clearance has been granted (papers were sent in November). I know that sometimes the order is not the same for everyone however, I haven't heard or received anything regarding my medical - so just wondering if this is normal? Obviously things are now going to be delayed but just hoping I didn't somehow miss an email or something.
Good news! Had my integrity interview last week as well.

I didn't have my medical invite yet as well. They already had a backlog for medicals before the outbreak, so I don't expect a medical invite before a very, very long time.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

Alexn19
Rookie Member

Postby Alexn19 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 pm

JDube wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 am
new2this wrote:

I didn't have my medical invite yet as well. They already had a backlog for medicals before the outbreak, so I don't expect a medical invite before a very, very long time.
Yes guys I’m on the same boat as you! From what I heard they’re really behind and it may take several months before we hear for the medical test. Our times will come :D
QC applicant
Applied: 01/19
Interview: 06/19✔
Psych Test: 07/19✔
Psych Int: 08/19✔
Sec docs: sent 09/19✔
PARE: 10/19✔
Sec Interview: 11/19✔
Sec granted: 12/19✔
Medical: TBD
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Alexn19 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 pm
JDube wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 am
new2this wrote:

Yes guys I’m on the same boat as you! From what I heard they’re really behind and it may take several months before we hear for the medical test. Our times will come :D
CBSA did this nicely, as the intake for most 2019 applicants in 2020 was highly unlikely, was good to postpone the medicals, not to have to redo them after.

When this pandemic is over in more than 3-4-5 months, they will resume them, I guess.

With training postponed now for at least 2 months (I assume) and over 500 qualified applicants in the pool, the chance is some will go in training in 2022.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:56 am

mfish315
Rookie Member

Postby mfish315 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but my story is I applied around January/February 2019, got the OTEE invite end of Feb 2019, got the results end of March 2019 and was told I would be contacted in the upcoming months for scheduling the interview. Besides me checking in in June 2019, I haven't gotten any update. Is this normal? Been kind of freaking out about job/money stuff as I'm a university graduate class of 2019 and thinking about whether I should go back to school or just keep taking general labour jobs until I get a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 pm

mfish315 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:42 pm
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but my story is I applied around January/February 2019, got the OTEE invite end of Feb 2019, got the results end of March 2019 and was told I would be contacted in the upcoming months for scheduling the interview. Besides me checking in in June 2019, I haven't gotten any update. Is this normal? Been kind of freaking out about job/money stuff as I'm a university graduate class of 2019 and thinking about whether I should go back to school or just keep taking general labour jobs until I get a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.
Some of the 2019 applicants got Interviews just recently.
I won't call it normal to wait over 1 year for interview, but I can say you are not alone. Best course of action is to email the HR department for status. Having in mind the current "virus" situation, I wouldn't count on interview in next few months ...
Best advice is to never rely solely on the CBSA application , as you can never be sure if it will materialize as a job, or if it does, when.
Live your life, take any job offer you have to make sure your life goes on, keep the CBSA application on the side and if it happens, good, if not, who knows, it may end up even better outside CBSA for you. With University degree you may have many other options out there.

hsinom
Veteran Member

Postby hsinom » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

mfish315 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:42 pm
Take a look at my timeline like others. We have finished all the steps required but have no update with the current situation of future intakes. In fact even recruits were sent home.Some have had to redo multiple steps. I'd suggest take whatever you're able to help with bills.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 am

Hey Ulcaster,

Just wondering if there is any more information regarding the situation at Rigaud or future intakes?
[/quote]

Hi,

at this time i cannot say when the next intake will be, as you all know this is unprecedented, since Rigaud college is also closed and the current classes postponed until who knows when and by the time everything gets back on track it could take months, at the rate this is going i don't see anything moving for you guys until fall-winter. For now, all you need to do is follow the Public Health advice. CBSA is currently at Critical Functions only and many are now with the Internal Task Force to help Front Line Officers and other Emergency Departments.

I'll try to keep you all informed as much as i can, stay safe and at home until this Pandemic is over.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

A North

Postby A North » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 am

How are you keeping your fitness up (cardio AND strength) with all of this crap going on? Since all the gyms are closed, most of us don't have home gyms and there is almost no basic equipment available to buy for home (I'm talking 2 pairs of useful dumbbells (35s and 45s minimum) and one collapsible bench). Dependent on how long this goes on for I could foresee big delays in process times due to recruits losing their progress and no longer being able to pass PAREs, PREPs or CFATs.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:26 am

A North wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 am
How are you keeping your fitness up (cardio AND strength) with all of this crap going on? Since all the gyms are closed, most of us don't have home gyms and there is almost no basic equipment available to buy for home (I'm talking 2 pairs of useful dumbbells (35s and 45s minimum) and one collapsible bench). Dependent on how long this goes on for I could foresee big delays in process times due to recruits losing their progress and no longer being able to pass PAREs, PREPs or CFATs.
Depending on where you live, the great outdoors is what we’re doing now for workouts in my house.
Lots of good body weight resistance exercise you can do as well.
There is a high school running track that is available near my home that we can use providing it’s not overcrowded.
It sucks that the gym is closed, but get creative to stay in shape!
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD