GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:56 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:52 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:48 pm
With Parliament being suspended until April 20 and the Federal budget date getting pushed back, do you guys think this would also delay the launch of the new job posting?
That’s a great question. I wish I knew the answer. I would assume that they already have their recruitment targets, and unlikely a reduction in the amount of money and new recruits that are required. Having said that, it’s just a guess. I hope for the sake of all the applicants they get a chance to go to Rigaud without delays.
If nothing else, and I’m going to be thinking super positively here considering everything that’s going on, maybe stock piling up on more recruits would also be something to maybe consider, because when this virus comes and all barriers/bans get lifted, people might flock back and forth to and from Canada, especially during the F1 Grand Prix in the summer.
Rigaud can't process more recruits per year as is now, unless they fast track them, which may be an option too - learn on the job.
In an emergency, may be a viable option, who knows.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:56 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:52 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm

That’s a great question. I wish I knew the answer. I would assume that they already have their recruitment targets, and unlikely a reduction in the amount of money and new recruits that are required. Having said that, it’s just a guess. I hope for the sake of all the applicants they get a chance to go to Rigaud without delays.
If nothing else, and I’m going to be thinking super positively here considering everything that’s going on, maybe stock piling up on more recruits would also be something to maybe consider, because when this virus comes and all barriers/bans get lifted, people might flock back and forth to and from Canada, especially during the F1 Grand Prix in the summer.
Rigaud can't process more recruits per year as is now, unless they fast track them, which may be an option too - learn on the job.
In an emergency, may be a viable option, who knows.
All of the remaining recruitment events previously on the CBSA’s website have been removed. Let’s see how this will all pan out.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:03 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm
All of the remaining recruitment events previously on the CBSA’s website have been removed. Let’s see how this will all pan out.
Yeah, public gatherings ... And who knows, maybe the recruitment team has been called back at their POEs ... or both

oceanblue11
Rookie Member

Postby oceanblue11 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 pm

I can’t believe they let 15C still come on Sunday to be honest, no way 15D comes in early April so I wouldn’t plan for that if you were invited. I think recruits are gonna get sent home early or they’ll try complete isolation no one in or out, staff included. I was never a SBSO but I wonder if they would consider letting recruits in 15A or 15B take on SBSO jobs to help out if they send everyone home (barring no infection breaks out on campus of course). I’m not sure how in-depth the student BSO training is seeing how it’s mostly port policy and not national policy from what I’ve heard...

oceanblue11
Rookie Member

Postby oceanblue11 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:08 am

oceanblue11 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 pm
I can’t believe they let 15C still come on Sunday to be honest, no way 15D comes in early April so I wouldn’t plan for that if you were invited. I think recruits are gonna get sent home early or they’ll try complete isolation no one in or out, staff included. I was never a SBSO but I wonder if they would consider letting recruits in 15A or 15B take on SBSO jobs to help out if they send everyone home (barring no infection breaks out on campus of course). I’m not sure how in-depth the student BSO training is seeing how it’s mostly port policy and not national policy from what I’ve heard...

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 am

oceanblue11 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 pm
The reality is this Corona thing is something we most likely will all get at some point. Maybe is best to embrace it, heal from it and move on.

As the history shows in early and currently hard affected countries, only a small part of the population should be really concerned. CBSA recruits are not in that category, unless their medical history is not perfect.

Government realizes and knows there's no escape, no missing the virus by almost anyone. What they try to do is to flatten the curve of the affected people that will need medical attention (ventilators/respirators). As if all vulnerable people get the virus at once, the system can't help them all at once (as happened in Italy - no enough ventilators for all in need, so they chose who to live from many in need at some point).

There's no cure, zero treatment yet for this - healthy people should not go to hospital or ER because they sneezed and had a little fever. It goes away in healthy people.
Hospitals are needed to be available for the ones that will need assistive breathing because of complications.

I went too deep :)

Anyway - chill out and if you are otherwise healthy - you will be just fine after the Corona Virus.

Cheers !

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 am

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm
JEagle10 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm
To be fair no I didn’t complain because the PARE for me was done within a hour, I completed the firearms courses well before even thinking I’d apply to CBSA (I love guns) why make an applicant pay $1000 just to fail an interview then? You’re down $1000 and no job. If CBSA’s process is that bad I’m not sure why 20,000 apply.
Exactly my point : Why would CBSA pay the bill for the "unqualified" applicants to begin with, and on plus, waste more to Interview them ?

CBSA doesn't need 20K applicants per year, they need less, but qualified ones.

No one is forcing anyone to pay for PARE and CRFSC either, but is mandatory to be done on applicant's expense. Whoever wants to be a BSO and is sure they qualify, will pay just fine for their Psych test, then get their money back when they succeed the process.

Make it all free to apply and lower entry requirements, then even 30 000 will apply. Who needs that ?

I have another suggestion for CBSA - introduce Polygraph test. I am sure 5000 will not even apply just because of that ;)
I definitely agree with the Polygraph test, it would limit the infiltration attempts we've been getting lately, that's all i can say about that.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:32 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 am
IronWolf wrote:
JEagle10 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm
To be fair no I didn’t complain because the PARE for me was done within a hour, I completed the firearms courses well before even thinking I’d apply to CBSA (I love guns) why make an applicant pay $1000 just to fail an interview then? You’re down $1000 and no job. If CBSA’s process is that bad I’m not sure why 20,000 apply.
Exactly my point : Why would CBSA pay the bill for the "unqualified" applicants to begin with, and on plus, waste more to Interview them ?

No one is forcing anyone to pay for PARE and CRFSC either, but is mandatory to be done on applicant's expense. Whoever wants to be a BSO and is sure they qualify, will pay just fine for their Psych test, then get their money back when they succeed the process.

Make it all free to apply and lower entry requirements, then even 30 000 will apply. Who needs that ?

I have another suggestion for CBSA - introduce Polygraph test. I am sure 5000 will not even apply just because of that ;)
I definitely agree with the Polygraph test, it would limit the infiltration attempts we've been getting lately, that's all i can say about that.
Ulcaster, since you're one of the insiders if you will, could you divulge on whether or not the new competition might be delayed as a result of what's going on with COVID-19? Is the next posting still on schedule to get released in April/May-ish, regardless of the rest of the recruitment events getting cancelled/postponed?

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:00 am

neonlights97 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:32 am
Ulcaster555 wrote:
IronWolf wrote:

Ulcaster, since you're one of the insiders if you will, could you divulge on whether or not the new competition might be delayed as a result of what's going on with COVID-19? Is the next posting still on schedule to get released in April/May-ish, regardless of the rest of the recruitment events getting cancelled/postponed?
A week ago the CBSA on Instagram replied to a comment saying “there are no specific dates determined yet for the next hiring process.”

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Stone. wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:00 am
neonlights97 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:32 am
Ulcaster555 wrote:

A week ago the CBSA on Instagram replied to a comment saying “there are no specific dates determined yet for the next hiring process.”
It’s been like that since Fall/2019, when the last job posted was supposed to be released... status quo since then

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:08 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:02 pm
It’s been like that since Fall/2019, when the last job posted was supposed to be released... status quo since then
Few pages ago here was posted that CBSA HR has around 600 qualified applicants waiting for training in the pool.
With an average output of Rigaud to around 300 per year, they are pretty well stocked up.
Makes sense to delay new postings till the people that are already waiting for training go for it.

April/May for a new posting still makes sense, unless they decide to clear most backlog before invite new applicants. To avoid the current situation to keep people in process for 2,3 years in some cases.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:08 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:02 pm
Few pages ago here was posted that CBSA HR has around 600 qualified applicants waiting for training in the pool.
With an average output of Rigaud to around 300 per year, they are pretty well stocked up.
Makes sense to delay new postings till the people that are already waiting for training go for it.

April/May for a new posting still makes sense, unless they decide to clear most backlog before invite new applicants. To avoid the current situation to keep people in process for 2,3 years in some cases.
I do agree with what you’re saying, but the OIM audit you keep referencing also states that Rigaud needs to graduate/produce 278 officers per year to keep up with the Agency’s demands. Now, come invite time to Rigaud, what % of applicants from the pool accept, what % drop out/fail/leave during training, etc. In my opinion, it’s better to have the pool loaded up rather than half full. Yeah, I understand the wait times could be long, but hey, it’s what the applicant signed up for, and I am sure there are greener pastures ahead once invite comes. It’ll so be worth it in the end, I truly believe that. Patience is a virtue.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:59 pm

The union asked the CBSA about Rigaud but CBSA has no answer at this time.

hsinom
Veteran Member

Postby hsinom » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:11 pm

this is a terrible situation to be in currently with the corona virus scare. Hopefully this will all be under control in the next 15 days after things go back to normal. But I'm hoping this doesn't affect the upcoming summer intake.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:46 pm

hsinom wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:11 pm
this is a terrible situation to be in currently with the corona virus scare. Hopefully this will all be under control in the next 15 days after things go back to normal. But I'm hoping this doesn't affect the upcoming summer intake.
We may not see the full affect of this crisis for some time! This will also most likely blow government budgets. It’s hard to say how this will affect upcoming intakes, training or future recruitments. Stay safe out there folks!
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud: