GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34 pm
Kevlar wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 am
Sometimes people just need to tell it like it is.

What a difference from when I went through just 10 short years ago with another Federal agency... so many sacrifices and noone said boo. We didnt even get an allowance while away for training. The entitlement is strong these days. If you want it. Youll do it. Dont expect anyone to do it for you. Dont expect anyone to make it easier for you. Does it suck? Sure it does. But thats just how life goes sometimes. I chalked it up to an investment in my future and that return on the initial investment has paid out 100 fold. I dunno, maybe my age is showing through a bit and life experience with numerous jobs and a world of travel living with nothing for years. Might sound harsh but the cold reality is if you cant find the time or resources for an interview how will you survive at the Staff College on 600 bucks and potential relocation costs etc long long long before you see your first paycheque. Take a good long look and ask yourself if this is for you. Weigh the pros and cons.

An old crusty officer told me when I first walked in, all bright eyed and bushy tailed, that youll never get rich doing this job, but youll be able to raise a family, the banks will like you, you will have job security and a nice little pension at the end. Had numerous friends making twice what I currently make, working in the oil field industry. Poked coy fun at my "pittance" of a paycheque compared to theirs, but for me that wasnt everything. At the end of the day I knew every day I woke up I would have a job. Crime wouldnt just stop happening. Same unfortunately cannot be said for my friends now out of work for 4 years and grossly underemployed just trying to keep the lights on.

How many thousands of people move across the country on their own dime for just a chance in the private sector? Heck. Look how many dropped everything and left the maritimes for a new life out west. Took a chance. And for some it paid off. People arrive to this country on an metaphorical floating door and have achieved amazing things by taking a chance.

Re-evaluate your chain of thought in all of this. I sincerely mean that. Because as it stands now should you find a way to get to the interview with that state of mind youll likely find yourself unsuccessful in the process.

I myself would never trade my experience working for the Feds, even through all the Phoenix pay problems, the horrific sights Ive seen and endured, the loss, the tragedy, the sleepless nights still smelling of gun powder, blood and pepper spray. Because the skills Ive learned and the abilities I didnt know I had and the life I have provided for my family so far, and where it will eventually lead to was so worth it. Not to mention the great service you provide this country, often unthanked and unacknowledged is quite gratifying.

Your mileage may vary.
New generations are not like the old ones, successful employers need to adapt their recruitment tactics and work policies to fit the workforce needs while also achieve the organization goals.

Just imagine if at all these recruitment events CBSA constantly gets the feedback from students and candidates that the Mobility clause is something that prevents them from applying, they will have to change, or accept the fact that they are intentionally missing of a whole chunk of potentially quality applicants.

I personally am totally against the employees to get all they want just because they feel they deserve it. But many good corporate changes have been driven by the feedback of the new generation of employees.
I would have to agree, especially with the impending mass exoduses everywhere of older employees. As I have tried to say here but nobody has seemed to get the message, my issue is that other Ottawa candidates are getting LOCAL interviews but others such as myself are being told to travel. If there are places local to you then you should be given that option, even if it extends the length of your process. It isn't fair and is another deterrent to applicants when they aren't consistent in their treatment of recruits from the same locales.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 am
Sometimes people just need to tell it like it is.

What a difference from when I went through just 10 short years ago with another Federal agency... so many sacrifices and noone said boo. We didnt even get an allowance while away for training. The entitlement is strong these days. If you want it. Youll do it. Dont expect anyone to do it for you. Dont expect anyone to make it easier for you. Does it suck? Sure it does. But thats just how life goes sometimes. I chalked it up to an investment in my future and that return on the initial investment has paid out 100 fold. I dunno, maybe my age is showing through a bit and life experience with numerous jobs and a world of travel living with nothing for years. Might sound harsh but the cold reality is if you cant find the time or resources for an interview how will you survive at the Staff College on 600 bucks and potential relocation costs etc long long long before you see your first paycheque. Take a good long look and ask yourself if this is for you. Weigh the pros and cons.

An old crusty officer told me when I first walked in, all bright eyed and bushy tailed, that youll never get rich doing this job, but youll be able to raise a family, the banks will like you, you will have job security and a nice little pension at the end. Had numerous friends making twice what I currently make, working in the oil field industry. Poked coy fun at my "pittance" of a paycheque compared to theirs, but for me that wasnt everything. At the end of the day I knew every day I woke up I would have a job. Crime wouldnt just stop happening. Same unfortunately cannot be said for my friends now out of work for 4 years and grossly underemployed just trying to keep the lights on.

How many thousands of people move across the country on their own dime for just a chance in the private sector? Heck. Look how many dropped everything and left the maritimes for a new life out west. Took a chance. And for some it paid off. People arrive to this country on an metaphorical floating door and have achieved amazing things by taking a chance.

Re-evaluate your chain of thought in all of this. I sincerely mean that. Because as it stands now should you find a way to get to the interview with that state of mind youll likely find yourself unsuccessful in the process.

I myself would never trade my experience working for the Feds, even through all the Phoenix pay problems, the horrific sights Ive seen and endured, the loss, the tragedy, the sleepless nights still smelling of gun powder, blood and pepper spray. Because the skills Ive learned and the abilities I didnt know I had and the life I have provided for my family so far, and where it will eventually lead to was so worth it. Not to mention the great service you provide this country, often unthanked and unacknowledged is quite gratifying.

Your mileage may vary.
Great post. Appreciate reading input on this forum that highlights the patience and perseverance required to stay committed/positive about this process. Having a bad attitude does you no one favors.

At the same time, also appreciate current officers giving input on the harsher realities of the position, the pitfalls etc. Feedback from actual on-the-job experience is always valuable and may help candidates who are not prepared for them to make a informed choice if it's what they want.
Last edited by CaptainMarvel on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:45 pm

A North wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm

...As I have tried to say here but nobody has seemed to get the message, my issue is that other Ottawa candidates are getting LOCAL interviews but others such as myself are being told to travel. If there are places local to you then you should be given that option, even if it extends the length of your process. It isn't fair and is another deterrent to applicants when they aren't consistent in their treatment of recruits from the same locales.
Consider emailing them back and ask again, pointing out the issue again and letting them know you were given the same location. They do make mistakes, this might be one of them. Likely just an error on their part or they may have a reason (example: no one in your area is doing interviews for next while, so they have to have it there or else you will be waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a date when they can book it in your city).

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:28 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:30 pm
Great post. Appreciate reading input on this forum that highlights the patience and perseverance required to stay committed/positive about this process. Having a bad attitude does you no one favors.

At the same time, also appreciate current officers giving input on the harsher realities of the position, the pitfalls etc. Feedback from actual on-the-job experience is always valuable and may help candidates who are not prepared for them to make a informed choice if it's what they want.
Now that post of yours I totally agree with. The first one - not so much :thumbsup:

The only pitfall I personally see possibly ahead is the unknown posting location, nothing else in this job or process makes me doubt if it will be the right choice.

The applicants I communicate with share my view and I have never met someone personally that says they don't mind where they will end up and to sincerely mean it. Everyone hopes to get lucky and to pick the location they want.

Removing that unknown from the process will make it 100% positive experience in my view.

Hopefully CBSA acts on the feedback from their own audit sooner than later ... and I mean before my intake :alright: Otherwise, I will rely on my luck.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:59 pm

I can’t see the CBSA changing the way ports are selected. There might be slight changes but it’ll still be a luck of the draw. No one wants to work at the Lyleton Manitoba POE.

hashimshah
Rookie Member

Postby hashimshah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi guys, I need advice. My CRFSC and CFSC will end tomorrow. CBSA has given me till April 3 to provide proof of completion. RCMP takes 4 to 6 weeks to mail a stamped copywhich means I may not have a copy of my results by then.
What kind of confirmation will be acceptable so I don't miss the deadline? e.g. email from my instructor confiring I passed etc??
Please only share your thoughts if you have gone through something like this. I am not looking for answers that are based in assumptions, leaning either way.
OTEE: Oct 2018
Interview: May 2019
Psyc Test & int: Jul 2019 & Aug 2019, resp
Sec Cl Sub: Sep 2019
Med: Oct 2019
PARE: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Interview: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Granted: Jan 2020
CRFC: Pending
OITP: Pending
Rigaud: Pending

A North

Postby A North » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:25 pm
Hi guys, I need advice. My CRFSC and CFSC will end tomorrow. CBSA has given me till April 3 to provide proof of completion. RCMP takes 4 to 6 weeks to mail a stamped copywhich means I may not have a copy of my results by then.
What kind of confirmation will be acceptable so I don't miss the deadline? e.g. email from my instructor confiring I passed etc??
Please only share your thoughts if you have gone through something like this. I am not looking for answers that are based in assumptions, leaning either way.
Did you fill out a course report form with RCMP letterhead for your CFSC and CRFSC? I filled out one for each of the courses; it was one of those 4-ply sheets where you write on the front of it and the writing goes through all 3 of the other sheets. One was for the Chief Firearms Officer, one for the instructor, one for the "processing site" (no clue what or where that is) and one for the student to be submitted with the PAL application. I got the student copy at the end of both courses; a scanned digital copy of that is all you should need to submit, as that was applicable for myself.
CBSA

hashimshah
Rookie Member

Postby hashimshah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 pm

A North wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 pm
hashimshah wrote:
Did you fill out a course report form with RCMP letterhead for your CFSC and CRFSC? I filled out one for each of the courses; it was one of those 4-ply sheets where you write on the front of it and the writing goes through all 3 of the other sheets. One was for the Chief Firearms Officer, one for the instructor, one for the "processing site" (no clue what or where that is) and one for the student to be submitted with the PAL application. I got the student copy at the end of both courses; a scanned digital copy of that is all you should need to submit, as that was applicable for myself.
Thanks. I am guessing they confirmed that it was sufficient, right?

I did fill it out but they kept it. I am going back tomorrow to do CRFSC. I will ask them for a copy. They kept saying that no we can't give anything to you except an email from my instructor confirming I have completed my course.
OTEE: Oct 2018
Interview: May 2019
Psyc Test & int: Jul 2019 & Aug 2019, resp
Sec Cl Sub: Sep 2019
Med: Oct 2019
PARE: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Interview: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Granted: Jan 2020
CRFC: Pending
OITP: Pending
Rigaud: Pending

Tucker
Rookie Member

Postby Tucker » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 pm

Stone. wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:59 pm
I can’t see the CBSA changing the way ports are selected. There might be slight changes but it’ll still be a luck of the draw. No one wants to work at the Lyleton Manitoba POE.
I personally see that as a desirable spot. Low cost of living for equal pay... hmmmm

A North

Postby A North » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:21 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 pm
A North wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 pm
hashimshah wrote:
Thanks. I am guessing they confirmed that it was sufficient, right?

I did fill it out but they kept it. I am going back tomorrow to do CRFSC. I will ask them for a copy. They kept saying that no we can't give anything to you except an email from my instructor confirming I have completed my course.
My courses were in 2016 but IIRC I did in fact get my papers before I left, or maybe a week later in the mail. CBSA Recruitment did confirm that those papers were sufficient however if you get your PAL then you can use that only as they'll need to see it at the interview as well.
CBSA

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:21 pm

I think y'all missed the point of what I wrote. Which is quite unfortunate.

We can stand around and talk about the hiring process and how it should be and how it would be more fair and how it would save tax payers money til the next passing of Haleys Comet. And there are very valid points and Im sure nothing that the recruitment department hasnt heard before.

The point I made was looking at the process as it stands right this moment. As it stands right now. Sometimes you get dealt a less than favorable hand. And if you want it bad enough youll play that hand like a boss.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 am

Kevlar wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:21 pm
I think y'all missed the point of what I wrote. Which is quite unfortunate.

We can stand around and talk about the hiring process and how it should be and how it would be more fair and how it would save tax payers money til the next passing of Haleys Comet. And there are very valid points and Im sure nothing that the recruitment department hasnt heard before.

The point I made was looking at the process as it stands right this moment. As it stands right now. Sometimes you get dealt a less than favorable hand. And if you want it bad enough youll play that hand like a boss.
I got it the first time , and I can also see the time we live in, full of entitled, overly sensitive and easily offended people , sad , but we have to adapt to the environment.

These small inconveniences of the process - travel , any related expense never really bothered me one bit. Nor does the living at Rigaud for 4 months on tiny allowance. Heck, I will go at Rigaud without allowance at all if they give me some assurance of a region where I will be posted up front, before the training.

About playing like a BOSS the bad hand of a bad POE, it’s not such clear cut in all cases. I have read some horror stories how BSOs can’t get out of a POE once assigned. That’s a hand not easy to play for some category of people.

That’s the only thing I don’t like about this process , And I firmly believe CBSA can do hiring for specific POEs if they decide to. Not an impossible task. Any other GOC department hires local staff under same selection process nationwide. It’s not a rocket science if there’s will to make it.

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 am

Well yes you are correct on the above. Yet people still apply knowing the terms and conditions and then piss and moan when the terms and conditions dont come out in their favor.

We all signed on the dotted line when we had our interview, and I would hope we all read the posting in its entirety before applying, not hoping to get through the process and then break their crayons when its not all it was cracked up to bein their mind.

Does it suck? Yep. But thats life.

I live in a major city, where they could have done every single aspect of my process and yet I had to drive all over the province, livein hotels, fuel the car numerous times, take time off work, to fulfill the requirements they asked for. And I did it because I know the potential end result.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:03 am

Tucker wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 pm
Stone. wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:59 pm
I personally see that as a desirable spot. Low cost of living for equal pay... hmmmm
If that’s your only pro to working there or similar POEs in that region, I couldn’t disagree with you more. No one volunteers to go to these POEs when there’s others available.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 am

Let’s say hypothetically in the early 2000s the CBSA use to hire recruits regionally. Hypothetically it was great for Southern Ontario Region, Greater Toronto Area Region, Quebec Region, Pacific Region, and even possibly Northern Ontario Region. But, hypothetically, it was terrible for Prairie Region and Atlantic Region.

How would you individuals plan to hire recruits regionally, and staff the POEs in the Prairie and Atlantic Region? Hypothetically, of course.