GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanBr19

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanBr19 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:40 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm
While there are always exceptions, having post secondary education is always a good indicator in my view. Shows the dedication of the person to achieve goals and in most cases goes with the acquired experience to solve issues and react accordingly to the problem at hand.
4-5 years in university involves lots of tasks the student must complete and that is a major part of the education they receive - to solve problems.
I am glad CBSA has it as a mandatory requirement to apply.
I do agree with you. However, post secondary education is not required to apply for CBSA.
CBSA GTA Applicant
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: September 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
While there are always exceptions, having post secondary education is always a good indicator in my view. Shows the dedication of the person to achieve goals and in most cases goes with the acquired experience to solve issues and react accordingly to the problem at hand.
4-5 years in university involves lots of tasks the student must complete and that is a major part of the education they receive - to solve problems.
I’ll have to disagree with you. From what I seen with new rookies coming into law enforcement on the corrections side then moving to CBSA.
I would never hire this people. Don’t wanna work, scared of their own shadow and no common sense.
From what I seen from people moving from Corrections to CBSA, they are scared of inmates which = people in the real world.

Not knocking schooling down which is great, but at the end of the day life experience is what that counts.
Correctional Officer, CO2

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:58 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:07 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm
From what I seen with new rookies coming into law enforcement on the corrections side then moving to CBSA.
I would never hire this people. Don’t wanna work, scared of their own shadow and no common sense.
From what I seen from people moving from Corrections to CBSA, they are scared of inmates which = people in the real world.

Not knocking schooling down which is great, but at the end of the day life experience is what that counts.
That is funny, but I am sure there's such people. Applying for CO and afraid of the people they will work with.

But I bet during the performance reviews and supervisor feedback these are highlighted and coached.
I’m Corrections there is no feed back or performance reviews. CBSA, not sure has I don’t work for that agency

Anyways, good luck.
Correctional Officer, CO2

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:08 pm

TaylorAlexandra
Rookie Member

Postby TaylorAlexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm

I personally think having some higher education as well as some life experience is essential. I work security at the moment, and to be honest with you... 19 year old me couldn't have handled some of the things I deal with at work.

I found college and university eye opening. College allowed me to finally pursue topics that actually interested me, and broaden my knowledge base (of course some of my mandatory courses weren't what I wanted to learn).

University taught me that college was a breeze and I needed to critically think on a whole new level. It caused me to broaden the way I think, and really pushed me to learn things. University was definitely sink or swim compared to college.

I really feel that I am significantly more prepared to go into law enforcement at 26 compared to what I was at 18. I've learned new ways to relate to people, new ways to diffuse conflict, and more about the world in general.

My family used to joke that I was an adult in a child's body when I was a kid. I've always been very mature. But its post secondary and my life experience that really got me to a place where I feel I have some of the necessary skills to do this job effectively. Of course you will learn the skills you need at Rigaud, but its only experience that really lets you intrinsically read a situation. I've seen it in security. Those of us who have been in this industry for a bit have a habit of picking up on peoples tells when they are going to become violent. Ive seen rookies who have a great educational background, and who are pretty solid guards, almost get punched because they couldn't read the persons body language.

Uh.... i think this is just a long winded answer that means I think growing up a bit is important before applying for a role like the one we are applying for.🤣

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm

TaylorAlexandra wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm
I personally think having some higher education as well as some life experience is essential. I work security at the moment, and to be honest with you... 19 year old me couldn't have handled some of the things I deal with at work.

I found college and university eye opening. College allowed me to finally pursue topics that actually interested me, and broaden my knowledge base (of course some of my mandatory courses weren't what I wanted to learn).

University taught me that college was a breeze and I needed to critically think on a whole new level. It caused me to broaden the way I think, and really pushed me to learn things. University was definitely sink or swim compared to college.

I really feel that I am significantly more prepared to go into law enforcement at 26 compared to what I was at 18. I've learned new ways to relate to people, new ways to diffuse conflict, and more about the world in general.

My family used to joke that I was an adult in a child's body when I was a kid. I've always been very mature. But its post secondary and my life experience that really got me to a place where I feel I have some of the necessary skills to do this job effectively. Of course you will learn the skills you need at Rigaud, but its only experience that really lets you intrinsically read a situation. I've seen it in security. Those of us who have been in this industry for a bit have a habit of picking up on peoples tells when they are going to become violent. Ive seen rookies who have a great educational background, and who are pretty solid guards, almost get punched because they couldn't read the persons body language.

Uh.... i think this is just a long winded answer that means I think growing up a bit is important before applying for a role like the one we are applying for.🤣
Where you from? I see you just got your Psych test? Hopefully you'll say London, Ontario. lol
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E: Sept 18
Interview: Jan 19
PAL: Jul 19
Psych: Sept 19
SLE:

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm
CanBr19 wrote:
I’ll have to disagree with you. From what I seen with new rookies coming into law enforcement on the corrections side then moving to CBSA.

I've heard alot of feedback and comments in particular to this view point and I agree with them as I feel they resonate truth. Unless you've been groomed to enter into law enforcement since you were feel like 12, 99% of any applicant that's 18 years old in my opinion is not ready, there are the far and few inbetween that may be, but your talking every 1 out of 1,000.

Living at home with Mom and Dad and having a part-time job for three years and just finishing high school does not count as life experience.
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E: Sept 18
Interview: Jan 19
PAL: Jul 19
Psych: Sept 19
SLE:

TaylorAlexandra
Rookie Member

Postby TaylorAlexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm
TaylorAlexandra wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Where you from? I see you just got your Psych test? Hopefully you'll say London, Ontario. lol
Just east of Toronto!

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm
I'd like just to mention that the PARE on youtube videos looks way easier to pass than in real life :)

That thing is well designed to filter out people that are not in shape :)

So when you book it, make sure you are really ready for it.
I’m in shape and I still had the “PARE cough” for the rest of the day!! :mrgreen:
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 30, 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Integrity Interview: August 2019

OITP:
Rigaud:

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 pm