GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Tornelco » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 pm

"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:17 am

Patience is definitely required as someone mentioned above. I’m still waiting for a response. Not sure if I got the job but I don’t think my chances are good based on the security interview and how it went. Still waiting
CBSA:
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for documents- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- ?
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:41 am

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 pm

hsinom wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:17 am
Patience is definitely required as someone mentioned above. I’m still waiting for a response. Not sure if I got the job but I don’t think my chances are good based on the security interview and how it went. Still waiting
I haven't made it to the security process yet; but I imagine it's a back and forth discussion of anything disclosed in the PBQ. I would guess it's an honesty test. I am not a perfect angel; so I can i only imagine how much I am getting to get "busted up" in a security interview. But I know who I am today; arguably I'll own up to any of my past mistakes; and share how I've grown from it.

Stay positive; you'll pass as long as you were honest and not involved in any side criminal hustle.
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: September 5th, 2019

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:41 am
JeanFrancois wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm
I was going through the RCMP posts on here, and this gentleman who just got hired for an RCMP troop and is going next week is only 19 years old?, That's some crazy shit.

Five-ten years ago you would never have seen that, I thought life experience was a requirement?
I see it as one ambitious 19 years old :)

He may retire at 45 with full pension while some others "collect life experience" instead of applying for the right job from the start :)
I agree with applying right away, as long as your 18+
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: September 5th, 2019

SeaState90
Rookie Member

Postby SeaState90 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:25 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
I was going through the RCMP posts on here, and this gentleman who just got hired for an RCMP troop and is going next week is only 19 years old?, That's some crazy shit.

Five-ten years ago you would never have seen that, I thought life experience was a requirement?
I can say without question, 29 year old me would definitely not want 19 year old me running around being a cop LOL. Personally I believe that without the life experiences I have had up to now, I would not be well suited to a career in law enforcement.

That being said, each person is different and I suppose if the RCMP thought that person was ready, then they’re ready. Good on them for being able to show the maturity level required for such a job.
CBSA - NS APPLICANT

Applied: Aug ‘18
PAL/RPAL: May ‘18
OTEE: Sept ‘18 Pass
Interview: Feb ‘19 Pass
Psych assessment: March ‘19 Pass
Security paperwork sent: May ‘19
Medical: July ‘19 Pass
Security interview: Incomplete
PARE: Incomplete

Charoskh
Rookie Member

Postby Charoskh » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 pm

djsamphard wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 am
Would i be able to go write it at my local library. or is the exam monitored?
The exam has a certain time limit to finish and submit for completion. There will be time running while you are doing the exam, the screen will show how much time you have remaining and when the time is up, the exam finishes automatically, so you want it not it will get submitted at the point of which question you are at.
Honestly for me it was too less time for that many questions, I found it kinda difficult, I see many people completed OTEE and i wonder if it was their first attempt or multile, because i found it difficult, i needed more time to be honest. It was my first attempt.!!!! Hope this answers your question.

Charoskh
Rookie Member

Postby Charoskh » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm
CanBr19 wrote:
JeanFrancois wrote:

He may retire at 45 with full pension while some others "collect life experience" instead of applying for the right job from the start :)
-The younger you are the less time for backgr.check :P
jokes aside.... i was told that they prefer younger generation as you cant really train older people can you? the older you get you start developing habits, attitudes, lifestyle etc... Everything is great while you are still young .... Good on the guy robably he is so mature that he got the job ....

Charoskh
Rookie Member

Postby Charoskh » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm

hsinom wrote:
How come you didnt do OTEE? I dont see it on your history....

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:42 am

Charoskh wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm
hsinom wrote:
It was not a requirement when I applied if you have a a degree.
CBSA:
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for documents- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- ?
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:43 am

JeanFrancois wrote:

I personally found it difficult having people under 25 in Rigaud. We had one 19 year old (she was mature, I'll give her that) and a few 21-22 year olds. They weren't as mature or experienced in life as someone who is even 25 or 26. As someone else put it a few posts ago, I wouldn't want 19-23 year old me running around as a cop or any law enforcement for that matter. As I said, there was very mature 19 year old, who was great. But more often than not you don't find people with the maturity level required to do the job.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO, ATL Region

SeaState90
Rookie Member

Postby SeaState90 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:18 am

Charoskh wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 pm
JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm
CanBr19 wrote:

-The younger you are the less time for backgr.check :P
jokes aside.... i was told that they prefer younger generation as you cant really train older people can you? the older you get you start developing habits, attitudes, lifestyle etc... Everything is great while you are still young .... Good on the guy robably he is so mature that he got the job ....
More experienced people or “older people” are absolutely trainable. The reason they are usually more successful is that they can draw on their life experiences to determine the best way to react in a given situation. Which can really come in handy during the interview portion of the process. When you are 18 or 19 years old you lack the life experiences to relate to when making difficult decisions and your actions are more likely to be governed by emotion rather than pragmatism. While the notion that “old people are stuck in their ways” may be true in some cases, the fact that those more experienced people made it through the screening process vouches for their ability to adapt and learn.

Not that there aren’t exceptions to the rule, like Zedlinka and Jean Francois pointed out, there are young people who are mature and thrive in a LEO capacity.
CBSA - NS APPLICANT

Applied: Aug ‘18
PAL/RPAL: May ‘18
OTEE: Sept ‘18 Pass
Interview: Feb ‘19 Pass
Psych assessment: March ‘19 Pass
Security paperwork sent: May ‘19
Medical: July ‘19 Pass
Security interview: Incomplete
PARE: Incomplete

Charoskh
Rookie Member

Postby Charoskh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:13 am

hsinom wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:42 am
Charoskh wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm
hsinom wrote:

Is it a bachelors degree or masters?
It was not a requirement when I applied if you have a a degree.

cb681

Postby cb681 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:14 am

For someone to complete the process and be in Rigaud by the age of 19 is mind boggling, because it means they basically started at 18, which is right out of high school. I was very mature for my age at 19 as well, but I personally didn't have the command presence that I feel is required for an enforcement role. Good for them all the same in starting a career at that age, not many people that age think that far ahead in life, it will definitely set them up for a secure future that's for sure. I personally feel that policing and Law enforcement should be atleast 21 and older to apply, I know that is an arbitrary age to choose ( why not 25? etc) but I think there should be SOME time removed from high school, not only to gain aforementioned life experience but also to live a little before embarking on such a serious career.

I had the means to travel extensively in my 20's and see the world and really appreciate what we have here in Canada, and dealt with border officials all over the world and traveled to regions of the world I'm not sure I would travel today, but that all goes back to falling back on experiences lived and learned. Just my two cents.

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 am

cb681 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:14 am
For someone to complete the process and be in Rigaud by the age of 19 is mind boggling, because it means they basically started at 18, which is right out of high school. I was very mature for my age at 19 as well, but I personally didn't have the command presence that I feel is required for an enforcement role. Good for them all the same in starting a career at that age, not many people that age think that far ahead in life, it will definitely set them up for a secure future that's for sure. I personally feel that policing and Law enforcement should be atleast 21 and older to apply, I know that is an arbitrary age to choose ( why not 25? etc) but I think there should be SOME time removed from high school, not only to gain aforementioned life experience but also to live a little before embarking on such a serious career.

I had the means to travel extensively in my 20's and see the world and really appreciate what we have here in Canada, and dealt with border officials all over the world and traveled to regions of the world I'm not sure I would travel today, but that all goes back to falling back on experiences lived and learned. Just my two cents.
Respectfully disagree, if your baseline is a HS diploma then anyone with that level of education should be able to apply. While "life experience" is nice so are the tools picked up from post-secondary education whether it's college or university. For jobs like the CBSA and other law enforcement agencies, university should and does often take precedent with nearly every agency that I know of. Not only is it important in the hiring process, but it's also important later on where I know some agencies require a degree/other notable skills to move into specific positions. Well, they usually do, Doug Ford may disagree though. My point with this last part is that there is most definitely a preferred applicant type for all of these agencies, usually, university education and non-white/male is what they want to see, but the reality is that the career doesn't draw the types of people that are ideal candidates.

This isn't a slight to anyone on here, I mean I fit in some of this description as well, it's just the reality of the present day. So at this point with a 13 year low for Canadian police across the board, a need for around 3-5k in both the RCMP and CBSA, along with every other agency, of course, if people are deemed suitable they're going to be hired regardless of age/resume so long as they fit what is needed. They would have made it through in the past as well, but I don't think there are many 19-year-old applicants, and if there are they usually weed themselves out of the process due to things that most 16-22-year-olds do that aren't reflective of some of the values that these various agencies have.

For those who want an example, look at Peel Regional, they're openly wanting persons from Quebec to apply after the recent legislation banning religious symbols in all public service jobs. That's a direct call to attract persons who are typically (yes, anyone can be a member of any faith), of a non-christian faith, which typically yields non-white persons. The CBSA and Public Safety of Canada are also pushing for hiring more women and indigenous persons. However, the reality is no matter how much you want to hire a certain individual with a certain resume, you can't reject applicants who meet your criteria if you're in the position of needing 25% or more of your workplace replaced now, let alone over the next 3-5 years.