GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

MikeMass93
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby MikeMass93 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 am

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:10 pm
JeanFrancois wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Zedlinka,

Perhaps you could can give us some insight into the rational or lack of rational in scheduling Psychological evals?

I only ask because some applicants progress fast in the process, and some progress slowly. You have experience on the front lines and at Rigaud, Some of us are sitting at several months since interview and still no Psych Eval?(I am personally at 6 months) We've learned the initial testing MMPI/2 is done in a written group setting; Are the test's only done in certain regions on a frequent basis? I've read before that Southwestern Ontario applicants recruiting tends to be a little slower?
I'd be curious to see your feedback, and what is the ratio of men / women / diversity you saw when your were at the Rigaud?

*** The CBSA has a small office in London, it's at the Airport(which in London is a very small airport) and we have no land border in London either,

Here is the most recent email I got from Recruiting this past Thursday,I've since sent a reply;

Good morning,

As there are many candidates being reached out to by psychologists they should be in contact with you within the next months, so you shouldn’t need to follow up as they already have your contact information. In the case that they cannot reach you we will be advised and we will make sure to let you know. But we suggest that you also verify your junk/spam emails and your voicemails
Not to be rude but it’s been shared and stated that the selection process can be entirely random. Maybe they put everyone’s name in a hat and yours wasn’t picked while someone else’s was. At the end of the day it’s a government process, they’re known for being bureaucratic and slow. Conversely, maybe there’s criteria that other applicants meet that some don’t.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Also, just an FYI there have been people who have been told to log into some or all of their online accounts to see their online posting habits. Think Hot Ones where they explain that gram. I know some of these people and I don’t know if calling your desired employers hiring process “lacking rational,” as an applicant no less, is the best move.

Also, London’s office has nothing to do with recruiting/hiring as far as I’m aware, sure they could help if you needed to but nearly everything is done through Ottawa and they’d still likely send you to Windsor. It’s why we don’t interview there. London’s office is just for dealing with the general public, which applicants wouldn’t fall under. I already have first hand experience with this, as I’m sure you do as well. I had to drive back down to Windsor to supply documentation of upgraded education because I didn’t have it until the day after my interview (just my luck). It was a 2 hour drive for what legitimately took 15 seconds. Used it to explore the city and check it out since I hear it’s an understaffed port, along with Sarnia (tons of OT). It’s just part of the process of dealing with government let alone the federal level. I’d do it 10 more times if it meant landing the job, sure I would like it to not come to that, but conversely I’m going to live my life accordingly outside of that which is why it doesn’t frustrate me nor does waiting to hear back.

I’m only saying this because I kind of get a vibe of growing agitation from people, which makes sense - it’s a long process, but I think it’s just a waste of energy when it’s not going to change anything. At the end of the day you’re wanting to work for an organization that you think lacks rational in it’s hiring process, maybe it does, but at the same time there’s no use getting frustrated in it when you can’t change it, at least not yet. Maybe get some education in policy writing if you don’t already have it while you wait, then you can change it when you get in. I just think it makes more sense to channel the energy to other things or take a new approach when something isn’t as you want it to be, especially when you have no way to expedite it or change it.

Just trying to keep the positive vibes and keep people from spiralling into a state of “this process is stupid” which does nothing positive in the end. Once again, I don’t want to come off as rude, just using the knowledge I have from myself, people who have worked in the CBSA/public safety as well as the words of those who have done hiring for the agency. That’s just my thoughts on all of it though.

PS if you haven’t already check out the Critical Security Studies grad program at King’s, this goes for anyone but if you’re in London it’s more accessible. They’ve consulted with a number of agencies to make sure it fits the criteria for what those organizations look for when checking education/developing some of the more writing based competencies in public safety.
Very well said, yes it's long but that has been stated since the beginning. There are people here who have applied ~2 years ago and still haven't completed all their steps in the hiring process. Patience is key, just keep working at your current job, exercise & prepare yourself for Rigaud and try not to think or check your e-mails 20 times a day :D
CBSA Process
Applied 06/2018
OTEE - PASS - 09/2018
Competency Based Interview - PASS - 11/2018
Psych Evaluation - PASS - 02/2019
SLE - PASS - 04/2019
Medical - PASS - 05/2019
Integrity Interview - DONE - 05/2019
Security Clearance - *Ongoing*

ayeness
Rookie Member

Postby ayeness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 am

Has anyone had experience re-scheduling any of their appointments to a later date due to one of the valid reasons stated? I just received the date for my Psych eval but unfortunately I will be out of the province for that date and have already bought plane tickets. Im wondering how the whole rescheduling thing goes, do they get back to you and reschedule your date fairly quickly or did you have to wait a long time? is there a possibility of having It rescheduled in a different province so I can do it while im gone? Any info is appreciated.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 am

ayeness wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 am
Has anyone had experience re-scheduling any of their appointments to a later date due to one of the valid reasons stated? I just received the date for my Psych eval but unfortunately I will be out of the province for that date and have already bought plane tickets. Im wondering how the whole rescheduling thing goes, do they get back to you and reschedule your date fairly quickly or did you have to wait a long time? is there a possibility of having It rescheduled in a different province so I can do it while im gone? Any info is appreciated.
If you search the word 'reschedule' on the search bar, you can find a lot of comments about that. Also, if you are going to a different province, it would be cool if they can reschedule you to that province while you're there, haha.

Good luck :D
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Sept 28/2018
OTEE: Oct 16/2018
OTEE Result: Oct 31/2018 Pass 77.5%
Interview: April 26/2019 Pass
PARE: Aug 16/2019 Pass
Psych: TBD

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 am

Alright:

Here’s my two cents.

1. Clearly anyone who thinks my posts are going to get me in trouble needs to fly their spaceship down to 2019

2. My posts are G rated at worst

3. Visit Twitter and see what Leo’s post and you’ll be amazed some still have a job

4. Worry about your own shit, and I’ll worry about mine

5. I disclosed in my interview I use blue line, hence why I use my actual name and photo

6. My opinions and comments are my own. If complaining once in one year isn’t going to get me hired somewhere, then why would I want to work for that employer ?

Lastly, i know what I bring to the table. I am the guy who tells on you when you cheat your employer, but I’ll lend you the shirt off my back if your in need
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: September 5th, 2019

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:04 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Zedlinka,

Perhaps you could can give us some insight into the rational or lack of rational in scheduling Psychological evals?

I only ask because some applicants progress fast in the process, and some progress slowly. You have experience on the front lines and at Rigaud, Some of us are sitting at several months since interview and still no Psych Eval?(I am personally at 6 months) We've learned the initial testing MMPI/2 is done in a written group setting; Are the test's only done in certain regions on a frequent basis? I've read before that Southwestern Ontario applicants recruiting tends to be a little slower?
I'd be curious to see your feedback, and what is the ratio of men / women / diversity you saw when your were at the Rigaud?

*** The CBSA has a small office in London, it's at the Airport(which in London is a very small airport) and we have no land border in London either,

Here is the most recent email I got from Recruiting this past Thursday,I've since sent a reply;

Good morning,

As there are many candidates being reached out to by psychologists they should be in contact with you within the next months, so you shouldn’t need to follow up as they already have your contact information. In the case that they cannot reach you we will be advised and we will make sure to let you know. But we suggest that you also verify your junk/spam emails and your voicemails
I can't confirm the length for Southern Ontario applicants, but I could see it. I mean, look at the Atlantic, where I came from. We have a handful of applicants vs SOR which has dozens. It would be a little easier. Not that I'm confirming that, I have no idea. Granted, the Psyc eval was probably my quickest step. I went from interview to eval within two months, then got my psyc results back within a month.

The process took me three years from application to Rigaud. Count your blessings. The process used to be slower. I waited a very long time to get here, but it's worth the wait.

Diversity was obvious in Rigaud. There were people from every background imaginable. There were six women in my class of 18 recruits. There were visible minorities, people of different religions and cultures.

Hope this helps. Just hang in there, your time will come. It'll seem like its taking forever, but once things start going after your interview, they don't slow down. Things to do in the mean time if you haven't already;

Gather your employment history as far back as you can, and gather your addresses as far back as you can. Think about the worst things you've ever done, and be prepared to discuss them during your security interview. Don't be caught off guard. Most importantly, enjoy time with family and friends. You never know where you'll get posted.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO, ATL Region

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:04 am
JeanFrancois wrote:
Zedlinka,

Good morning,

I can't confirm the length for Southern Ontario applicants, but I could see it. I mean, look at the Atlantic, where I came from. We have a handful of applicants vs SOR which has dozens. It would be a little easier. Not that I'm confirming that, I have no idea. Granted, the Psyc eval was probably my quickest step. I went from interview to eval within two months, then got my psyc results back within a month.

The process took me three years from application to Rigaud. Count your blessings. The process used to be slower. I waited a very long time to get here, but it's worth the wait.

Diversity was obvious in Rigaud. There were people from every background imaginable. There were six women in my class of 18 recruits. There were visible minorities, people of different religions and cultures.

Hope this helps. Just hang in there, your time will come. It'll seem like its taking forever, but once things start going after your interview, they don't slow down. Things to do in the mean time if you haven't already;

Gather your employment history as far back as you can, and gather your addresses as far back as you can. Think about the worst things you've ever done, and be prepared to discuss them during your security interview. Don't be caught off guard. Most importantly, enjoy time with family and friends. You never know where you'll get posted.

Thanks for the answers!

Yup, It’s a long list I’ll make sure to bring a priest with me.
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 am

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm

ayeness wrote:
Hey, Ayeness!

Figure'd I'd reply to this since I can offer some insight as well as ask you a question of my own.

Firstly, to answer your question. I was able to reschedule an interview for another federal government job when the interview date conflicted with my volunteering session. But, I did have to wait 2 months before I heard from that agency again... and this agency is one that moves quite a bit faster than the RCMP or CBSA. You've already seen how long some people here have to wait for testing or interviews.... So yes! You can likely reschedule your psych exam without any consequences. I almost had to reschedule my interview for the CBSA, I asked the recruiting team about their input on the matter and I was given this answer which also applies to you!

"I do appreciate that you that you have other commitments but the interview team is very busy and they are very rigid on their times so I feel it best that you take the time given and attend the interview. " -CBSA

My question for you is which province are you in? I recently got my email that I should be expecting a Psych eval soon, so I'm excited to see you moving ahead!!
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:26 pm

mtturnbu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 pm
BoltUp wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm
Zedlinka...thank you so much for your perspective and recent account to postings. I know there are no guarantees but it’s somewhat comforting to hear how it has gone down.

Stone...thank you for your input as well, that information is also encouraging:)

Lastly...shout out to mtturnbu!! I LOVE your post and it’s pretty much verbatim what I would have said, except for port preferences;)
maybe our paths will cross, hopefully at Rigaud!
Thanks for the shoutout! Lovin the positive vibes from this forum lately! I hope our paths do cross and I wish you all the best, BoltUp
Just wanted to say same, enjoyed reading all of this!! Much appreciated the info/perspective from BSO's, the badassery of mtturnbu, and the good vibes all around!! :drinking: :mrgreen:
Applied: 2012
---------------
Applied: Jan 2019
OTEE: Feb 2019 - Passed: Mar 19
Int: TBD

ayeness
Rookie Member

Postby ayeness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm
ayeness wrote:
Hey, Ayeness!

Figure'd I'd reply to this since I can offer some insight as well as ask you a question of my own.

Firstly, to answer your question. I was able to reschedule an interview for another federal government job when the interview date conflicted with my volunteering session. But, I did have to wait 2 months before I heard from that agency again... and this agency is one that moves quite a bit faster than the RCMP or CBSA. You've already seen how long some people here have to wait for testing or interviews.... So yes! You can likely reschedule your psych exam without any consequences. I almost had to reschedule my interview for the CBSA, I asked the recruiting team about their input on the matter and I was given this answer which also applies to you!

"I do appreciate that you that you have other commitments but the interview team is very busy and they are very rigid on their times so I feel it best that you take the time given and attend the interview. " -CBSA

My question for you is which province are you in? I recently got my email that I should be expecting a Psych eval soon, so I'm excited to see you moving ahead!!
Thats what I was afraid of :( I didnt want to make this process longer than it needs to be but theres no way around it unless I can get it scheduled where ill be (which is highly unlikely).

I am in Ontario, to answer your question, Niagara region

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:42 pm

ayeness wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:33 pm
Tornelco wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm
ayeness wrote:
Hey, Ayeness!

Thats what I was afraid of :( I didnt want to make this process longer than it needs to be but theres no way around it unless I can get it scheduled where ill be (which is highly unlikely).

I am in Ontario, to answer your question, Niagara region
Trust me when I say the more you focus on the length of the process, the longer it feels. Check the forum when you have questions, see what's new, but don't dwell on it. I did the same thing until I sent in my clearance paperwork. I would spend hours looking for answers, but ultimately, if they need info or have an update for you other than what you've already been told, they'll tell you or request information. The quicker you stop paying attention to the length of the process, the quicker it'll go. Trust me, as I said I was in this for three years. Sometimes you're the unlucky one who takes awhile, sometimes you're not. If you're currently under 12 months, you're ahead of where I was before I even saw the regular interview.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO, ATL Region

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Good afternoon, I have a question specifically for individuals who have attended/are attending Rigaud. Once you had completed all the steps required for the application process, how long did you wait to actually get into Riguad? I understand that intakes only happen at certain times but did you ever get passed over even though you had completed and passed all of the recruitment process steps? If so, how long? Thank you in advance to all the BSO's/OITP's who answer this for me!
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017 - Passed
PARE: SEPT2018 - Passed
OTEE: SEPT2018 - Passed
Interview: NOV2018 - Passed
Psych: - APR2019 - Passed
Medical: - MAY2019 - Passed
Security: - MAY2019 - Sent
Sec. Interview - AUG2019 - Booked

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:50 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:39 pm
Good afternoon, I have a question specifically for individuals who have attended/are attending Rigaud. Once you had completed all the steps required for the application process, how long did you wait to actually get into Riguad? I understand that intakes only happen at certain times but did you ever get passed over even though you had completed and passed all of the recruitment process steps? If so, how long? Thank you in advance to all the BSO's/OITP's who answer this for me!
Looking at your timeline, have you had your security interview yet?
I see you submitted your security papers in May, but I'm guessing you haven't actually had the interview yet?

BSO, ATL Region

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm

I was going through the RCMP posts on here, and this gentleman who just got hired for an RCMP troop and is going next week is only 19 years old?, That's some crazy shit.

Five-ten years ago you would never have seen that, I thought life experience was a requirement?
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL: