GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby mtturnbu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 am
mtturnbu wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 pm
Wanted to get in on the reasons post.

My reasons:

1. Chance to do something meaningful for my country.
2. Diverse work site with unique learning opportunities and challenges.
3. Pay, benefits, PENSION
4. The opportunity to do something that my kids can be proud of. Especially my daughter. I want her to have the strongest possible female role model.
5. My ex husband said I couldn't.
Highlighted that last point there. Some of the best BSO's I've met are women. I went to Rigaud with some bad ass chicks, too. All a range from 22 to 50+. I wouldn't mess with any of them. You got this.
I appreciate that, thank you. Really I should thank him. Being told “you can’t do it” was a really strong motivator for me and triggered a series of events that led me to the beautiful life I live today. Hoping to be...or should I say WORKING to be one of those bad ass chicks that get to wear that uniform one day soon.
CBSA:

PAL: June 2018
Applied: Feb 2019
OTEE: Mar 2019 - Pass
Interview: June 5, 2019 - Pass
PARE: July 7, 2019 - Pass
Psych: TBD

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:02 am

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stone.
Veteran Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:27 pm

BoltUp wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

Just regarding your last point about Pearson. If that's where you want to go, you stand a decent chance. From Wave A to Wave D of this year, about 10 of the postings have been for Pearson. In my particular wave there was a lot who wanted it. Hopefully this will helps keep you motivated. Pearson is A-L-W-A-Y-S looking for new people. So even if you toughed it out for a few years somewhere else, people are always trying to get out of Pearson, too.
Good morning,

Don’t suppose you remember how many openings there were for Edmonton/Calgary or Abbotsford? How often does Victoria or spots on Vancouver Island come up?
There's usually a couple spots for Edmonton/Calgary airports each wave but Abbotsford is very rare. Vancouver Island though will never come up, you'll have to put in a deployment there after you're done probation.

JEagle10
Rookie Member

Postby JEagle10 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:36 pm

kellylihomes wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 pm
It seems like not many people want to go Toronto, so I would have a good chance. Lol.

I would gladly join you there lol I don’t mind going anywhere in canada but hopefully not super rural.
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Security interview - August 2019

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Zedlinka...thank you so much for your perspective and recent account to postings. I know there are no guarantees but it’s somewhat comforting to hear how it has gone down.

Stone...thank you for your input as well, that information is also encouraging:)

Lastly...shout out to mtturnbu!! I LOVE your post and it’s pretty much verbatim what I would have said, except for port preferences;)
maybe our paths will cross, hopefully at Rigaud!
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 30, 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Security Interview: August 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Zedlinka,

Perhaps you could can give us some insight into the rational or lack of rational in scheduling Psychological evals?

I only ask because some applicants progress fast in the process, and some progress slowly. You have experience on the front lines and at Rigaud, Some of us are sitting at several months since interview and still no Psych Eval?(I am personally at 6 months) We've learned the initial testing MMPI/2 is done in a written group setting; Are the test's only done in certain regions on a frequent basis? I've read before that Southwestern Ontario applicants recruiting tends to be a little slower?
I'd be curious to see your feedback, and what is the ratio of men / women / diversity you saw when your were at the Rigaud?

*** The CBSA has a small office in London, it's at the Airport(which in London is a very small airport) and we have no land border in London either,

Here is the most recent email I got from Recruiting this past Thursday,I've since sent a reply;

Good morning,

As there are many candidates being reached out to by psychologists they should be in contact with you within the next months, so you shouldn’t need to follow up as they already have your contact information. In the case that they cannot reach you we will be advised and we will make sure to let you know. But we suggest that you also verify your junk/spam emails and your voicemails
Last edited by JeanFrancois on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: September 5th, 2019

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Postby mtturnbu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 pm

BoltUp wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm
Zedlinka...thank you so much for your perspective and recent account to postings. I know there are no guarantees but it’s somewhat comforting to hear how it has gone down.

Stone...thank you for your input as well, that information is also encouraging:)

Lastly...shout out to mtturnbu!! I LOVE your post and it’s pretty much verbatim what I would have said, except for port preferences;)
Thanks for the shoutout! Lovin the positive vibes from this forum lately! I hope our paths do cross and I wish you all the best, BoltUp
CBSA:

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 pm

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Postby mtturnbu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:38 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 pm
mtturnbu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 pm
BoltUp wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks for the shoutout! Lovin the positive vibes from this forum lately! I hope our paths do cross and I wish you all the best, BoltUp
Imagine the first day in Rigaud and we all say : "What is your username in BlueLine ?" or after hearing a few details about the person to say : "Aren't you "xxxxx" from blueline " ? ;)

Good luck to all in the process ahead !
Haha love it!
CBSA:

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 pm

CanBr19 wrote:

Imagine the first day in Rigaud and we all say : "What is your username in BlueLine ?" or after hearing a few details about the person to say : "Aren't you "xxxxx" from blueline " ? ;)

Won't be too hard to find out who Jean Francois is! He has his actual picture and I think his actual name!
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 pm
CanBr19 wrote:

Won't be too hard to find out who Jean Francois is! He has his actual picture and I think his actual name!
Smart ass, Yes, this is my handsome face and my actual first name.
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: September 5th, 2019

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:10 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Zedlinka,

Perhaps you could can give us some insight into the rational or lack of rational in scheduling Psychological evals?

I only ask because some applicants progress fast in the process, and some progress slowly. You have experience on the front lines and at Rigaud, Some of us are sitting at several months since interview and still no Psych Eval?(I am personally at 6 months) We've learned the initial testing MMPI/2 is done in a written group setting; Are the test's only done in certain regions on a frequent basis? I've read before that Southwestern Ontario applicants recruiting tends to be a little slower?
I'd be curious to see your feedback, and what is the ratio of men / women / diversity you saw when your were at the Rigaud?

*** The CBSA has a small office in London, it's at the Airport(which in London is a very small airport) and we have no land border in London either,

Here is the most recent email I got from Recruiting this past Thursday,I've since sent a reply;

Good morning,

As there are many candidates being reached out to by psychologists they should be in contact with you within the next months, so you shouldn’t need to follow up as they already have your contact information. In the case that they cannot reach you we will be advised and we will make sure to let you know. But we suggest that you also verify your junk/spam emails and your voicemails
Not to be rude but it’s been shared and stated that the selection process can be entirely random. Maybe they put everyone’s name in a hat and yours wasn’t picked while someone else’s was. At the end of the day it’s a government process, they’re known for being bureaucratic and slow. Conversely, maybe there’s criteria that other applicants meet that some don’t.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Also, just an FYI there have been people who have been told to log into some or all of their online accounts to see their online posting habits. Think Hot Ones where they explain that gram. I know some of these people and I don’t know if calling your desired employers hiring process “lacking rational,” as an applicant no less, is the best move.

Also, London’s office has nothing to do with recruiting/hiring as far as I’m aware, sure they could help if you needed to but nearly everything is done through Ottawa and they’d still likely send you to Windsor. It’s why we don’t interview there. London’s office is just for dealing with the general public, which applicants wouldn’t fall under. I already have first hand experience with this, as I’m sure you do as well. I had to drive back down to Windsor to supply documentation of upgraded education because I didn’t have it until the day after my interview (just my luck). It was a 2 hour drive for what legitimately took 15 seconds. Used it to explore the city and check it out since I hear it’s an understaffed port, along with Sarnia (tons of OT). It’s just part of the process of dealing with government let alone the federal level. I’d do it 10 more times if it meant landing the job, sure I would like it to not come to that, but conversely I’m going to live my life accordingly outside of that which is why it doesn’t frustrate me nor does waiting to hear back.

I’m only saying this because I kind of get a vibe of growing agitation from people, which makes sense - it’s a long process, but I think it’s just a waste of energy when it’s not going to change anything. At the end of the day you’re wanting to work for an organization that you think lacks rational in it’s hiring process, maybe it does, but at the same time there’s no use getting frustrated in it when you can’t change it, at least not yet. Maybe get some education in policy writing if you don’t already have it while you wait, then you can change it when you get in. I just think it makes more sense to channel the energy to other things or take a new approach when something isn’t as you want it to be, especially when you have no way to expedite it or change it.

Just trying to keep the positive vibes and keep people from spiralling into a state of “this process is stupid” which does nothing positive in the end. Once again, I don’t want to come off as rude, just using the knowledge I have from myself, people who have worked in the CBSA/public safety as well as the words of those who have done hiring for the agency. That’s just my thoughts on all of it though.

PS if you haven’t already check out the Critical Security Studies grad program at King’s, this goes for anyone but if you’re in London it’s more accessible. They’ve consulted with a number of agencies to make sure it fits the criteria for what those organizations look for when checking education/developing some of the more writing based competencies in public safety.

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 pm

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:23 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 pm
Everyone that is concerned about timelines should go back and read the official Job Offer posting description. It’s quite long read, full of info that may answer all process related questions.

If you pay attention to detail, they say it all clearly there, what can affect what during the process ;)

For the ones that criticize people that ask questions, I would also suggest to get down of your high horse, let people ask and if you can’t help them, don’t criticize or insult them ;)

Happy week ahead everyone (even to the ones on high horses ;) ) !
I fully agree, there’s no high horse about questions, to keep it short and sweet, if you wouldn’t ask your question word for word to a hiring manager/recruiter you probably shouldn’t ask it in the same way on a forum dedicated to that job with visits by those who may hire you. I don’t have any issue with the question, just the way it’s worded, just highly doubt someone would use the word irrational when asking about an organizations hiring process.

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.