GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby mtturnbu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:11 am

mtturnbu wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 am
JesseJames wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 pm
Two questions for those of you who have already completed these:

For the PARE, do they still require that you print off and get your doctor to fill out a medical form to bring with you to the PARE test? Or can you just book a date and go?

And secondly: What exactly is the medical assessment? Eye/ear exam? Heart/BP?

I'm just curious.

Thanks!
I think it depends on who the tester is. I didn't need it but I've heard of other people who did. Best to email the tester directly if you can.
This was in response to your question about the PARE, my bad.
CBSA:

PAL: June 2018
Applied: Feb 2019
OTEE: Mar 2019 - Pass
Interview: June 5, 2019 - Pass
PARE: July 7, 2019 - Pass
Psych: TBD

JesseJames
Rookie Member

Postby JesseJames » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 am

mtturnbu wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 am
JesseJames wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 pm
Two questions for those of you who have already completed these:

For the PARE, do they still require that you print off and get your doctor to fill out a medical form to bring with you to the PARE test? Or can you just book a date and go?

And secondly: What exactly is the medical assessment? Eye/ear exam? Heart/BP?

I'm just curious.

Thanks!
I think it depends on who the tester is. I didn't need it but I've heard of other people who did. Best to email the tester directly if you can.
Thanks, I’ll do that for sure

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:48 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am
kellylihomes wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:08 pm
Reasons:
1. I still remember the moment I landed in Toronto, the first people I spoke with was the girl from immigration. Ever since that moment, I always think it is a good career to get into.
2. I love to protect my country.
3. Good career, good pay, good pension.
4. This is a career that my kids will be proud of.

I really want to be posted to Toronto Pearson Airport, or anywhere as close to Toronto as possible.
Just regarding your last point about Pearson. If that's where you want to go, you stand a decent chance. From Wave A to Wave D of this year, about 10 of the postings have been for Pearson. In my particular wave there was a lot who wanted it. Hopefully this will helps keep you motivated. Pearson is A-L-W-A-Y-S looking for new people. So even if you toughed it out for a few years somewhere else, people are always trying to get out of Pearson, too.
Thank you for keeping me motivated. Good luck in your new career!
CBSA GTA Applicant
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: September 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)

SeaState90
Rookie Member

Postby SeaState90 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:03 am

CBSA - NS APPLICANT

Applied: Aug ‘18
PAL/RPAL: May ‘18
OTEE: Sept ‘18 Pass
Interview: Feb ‘19 Pass
Psych assessment: March ‘19 Pass
Security paperwork sent: May ‘19
Medical: July ‘19 Pass
Security interview: Incomplete
PARE: Incomplete

SeaState90
Rookie Member

Postby SeaState90 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:08 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am
JesseJames wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm
JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Nice, Where abouts in New Brunswick? I am interested in the land border crossing outside of McAdam, NB. Our places of preference are pretty similiar JJ

I hate drugs, I live 20 minutes from OPC, thats kills me lol.
Maybe to Saint Stephen. But most of New Brunswick just seems like a nice place to live, with much cheaper home costs than ontario.
Unless you pick off the small communities list, the Atlantic Region is quite difficult to get into.
There were two postings from my wave, and 2 from the other three waves combined. Your best bet is to go in on a small community posting there. do a few years, and one of the older members will likely offer to trade you spaces so they can ride out their last few working years in the peace and quiet.
Are there usually lots of small community postings available in the Atlantic region? As well, if you select them as a preference are you likely to get one? The reason I’m asking is I’m from the Halifax area and I would like to stay within NS/NB/NL region.
CBSA - NS APPLICANT

Applied: Aug ‘18
PAL/RPAL: May ‘18
OTEE: Sept ‘18 Pass
Interview: Feb ‘19 Pass
Psych assessment: March ‘19 Pass
Security paperwork sent: May ‘19
Medical: July ‘19 Pass
Security interview: Incomplete
PARE: Incomplete

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Zedlinka wrote:

Just regarding your last point about Pearson. If that's where you want to go, you stand a decent chance. From Wave A to Wave D of this year, about 10 of the postings have been for Pearson. In my particular wave there was a lot who wanted it. Hopefully this will helps keep you motivated. Pearson is A-L-W-A-Y-S looking for new people. So even if you toughed it out for a few years somewhere else, people are always trying to get out of Pearson, too.
Good morning,

Don’t suppose you remember how many openings there were for Edmonton/Calgary or Abbotsford? How often does Victoria or spots on Vancouver Island come up?
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 30, 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Integrity Interview: August 2019

OITP:
Rigaud:

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avee905
Rookie Member

Postby avee905 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
I'd love Pearson too. I wonder if the cost of living and the high cost of real estate is impacting recruitment efforts for cities like Vancouver and Toronto? I guess you have no choice but to somehow make it work.
Applied - Aug. 2018
OTEE - Sept. 2018
Interview - February 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019
Psych: Pending

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Postby mtturnbu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 pm

Wanted to get in on the reasons post.

My reasons:

1. Chance to do something meaningful for my country.
2. Diverse work site with unique learning opportunities and challenges.
3. Pay, benefits, PENSION
4. The opportunity to do something that my kids can be proud of. Especially my daughter. I want her to have the strongest possible female role model.
5. My ex husband said I couldn't.

Ports:

1. Kingston
2. Lansdown
3. Pearson - I'd prefer to stay closer to home so this is last choice. Obviously I'll go where they tell me, if given the opportunity, but I won't uproot my family at this time so I would be going alone.
CBSA:

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Postby mtturnbu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 pm

CBSA:

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:11 am

SeaState90 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:08 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am
JesseJames wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Maybe to Saint Stephen. But most of New Brunswick just seems like a nice place to live, with much cheaper home costs than ontario.
Unless you pick off the small communities list, the Atlantic Region is quite difficult to get into.
There were two postings from my wave, and 2 from the other three waves combined. Your best bet is to go in on a small community posting there. do a few years, and one of the older members will likely offer to trade you spaces so they can ride out their last few working years in the peace and quiet.
Are there usually lots of small community postings available in the Atlantic region? As well, if you select them as a preference are you likely to get one? The reason I’m asking is I’m from the Halifax area and I would like to stay within NS/NB/NL region.
I was told from day one "you're not going home". So I fully expected southern Saskatchewan. Plan for the worst, hope for the best was my motto. The small postings are in every wave. You can pick off the small communities list, but there's no guarantee you'll get one. It's basically like if there's an open spot, it's yours. But they're filling up pretty quick in NB. NS and NL haven't made it on the lists in awhile I don't think.
Your best chance is to pick off what's called the pre-list and get a Limited Duration Posting (LDP). That's your best bet to come back East in about three years if that's your choice. That's what I did. I just happened to get an LDP in NB. The selection was pretty small. Of the four waves that went through (about 200+ recruits) 4 came East
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 am

BoltUp wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Zedlinka wrote:

Good morning,

Don’t suppose you remember how many openings there were for Edmonton/Calgary or Abbotsford? How often does Victoria or spots on Vancouver Island come up?
Every wave had about 2 Calgary postings. The bilingual list I believe had one or two Edmonton through the four waves, but I can't be certain.
Lots of Vancouver came up on the lists. However, when you pick BC as a region, you run the risk of getting the northern postings if they're on the list. That happened to a friend of mine. Couldn't tell you how often they come up. Keep in mind the agency is severely understaffed and virtually every POE needs people. I don't think this answers your question, but it's the best I got.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:15 am

CanBr19 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:30 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
kellylihomes wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:08 pm
I really want to be posted to Toronto Pearson Airport, or anywhere as close to Toronto as possible.
Great news for the people that prefer to be at Pearson.

Are the other big Airports usually in similar demand in general ?
Not as bad. Keep in mind Pearson has over 550 BSO's I believe in just one terminal. So they're crying for people, whereas Halifax is short staffed but nowhere near as busy. Winnipeg had a few recruits go there, and Calgary had a few per wave. Next busiest was Vancouver with approx. 5-8 per wave headed there. Trudeau had a few too, but that's the bilingual list so I don't recall.

BSO

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 am

avee905 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
I'd love Pearson too. I wonder if the cost of living and the high cost of real estate is impacting recruitment efforts for cities like Vancouver and Toronto? I guess you have no choice but to somehow make it work.
A lot of the people who are trying to get out, are the people who, funny enough just ended up there. A lot of people from the East Coast pick Pearson because it's as close as they can get. It wasn't an issue with my wave, personally. There were plenty of people who wanted Pearson who all had a way of making it work. Some of them were complaining about the cost of living, but it comes with the territory. If you actually want to bank some, I strongly suggest a small community. Yeah, you'll be bored, but you'll have plenty of money. I'm a little over a month in and I've already made plenty just in OT. A lot of the ones who wanted Pearson already had a plan in place, keep that in mind too. I don't think many people who aren't from there have very good luck with housing. I can't confirm that, of course, but that's my suspicion.

BSO

Zedlinka
Rookie Member

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:22 am

mtturnbu wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 pm
Wanted to get in on the reasons post.

My reasons:

1. Chance to do something meaningful for my country.
2. Diverse work site with unique learning opportunities and challenges.
3. Pay, benefits, PENSION
4. The opportunity to do something that my kids can be proud of. Especially my daughter. I want her to have the strongest possible female role model.
5. My ex husband said I couldn't.
Highlighted that last point there. Some of the best BSO's I've met are women. I went to Rigaud with some bad ass chicks, too. All a range from 22 to 50+. I wouldn't mess with any of them. You got this.

BSO