GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am

Taking another shot at this. Does anyone have any insight into the most common postings after Rigaud? I know the RCMP threads often have updated breakdowns of roughly how many postings are listed for each region and where they are in the region.

Secondly, is there just a July and August intake for Rigaud? I’ve taken the advice of someone on here and while I’m focused on the process, it’s not my main focus and I’m living my life outside of that. Given what I’ve seen with recent timelines, it’s about a year to a year and a half, so while that works perfectly with my current timeline I just want to arrange a contingency plan should the process move at a faster pace.

whitetiger
Rookie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby whitetiger » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 am

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm
whitetiger wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am
I failed my OTEE back in September 2018. My retest date is coming up soon. I still apply when spots open up. I guess if you fail OTEE you're disqualified for a whole year? Till it expires.
Yes but the good part is, if you pass its valid for life until they revamp it or like change it completely
So does they mean they no longer do the other test? Forgot what its called something with 2 at the end.

ktddad
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ktddad » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 am

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am

Secondly, is there just a July and August intake for Rigaud?


Intake is in August.

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am

ktddad wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 am
CanadianQuackers wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am

Secondly, is there just a July and August intake for Rigaud?


Intake is in August.
Thank you for your reply!

ayeness
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ayeness » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm


Congrats on the passing mark on the Interview !

Firearm courses and tests take 2 days to pass (one day each for non-restricted and restricted). Result is valid for life. No need to apply for RPAL license.

PARE is valid for 18 months, I say it's most practical to do the PARE in the middle of the process. Some people have done it too early and had to re-do it. It costs money ... so better time it right to stay valid till you are accepted in Rigaud.

Good luck with the next steps !
Thanks for the advice. That helps quite a bit
JeanFrancois wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Could be a bit of wait for Psych testing, I passed my interview almost five months ago and I am still "waiting" for a date.

In terms of PAL, not necessary but recommended. To gain practical experience and knowledge of firearms. I am still waiting for the OPP to clear my PAL application: I've had a completed application on-file for 7 1/2 months, when I call monthly for an update, Yes sir everything is all-good, we just have a big back log etc....!

JC!
Damn the email said the psych eval would be within a month of receiving the interview results so i was hoping it would be quick.
Also, what do you mean by PAL?
Thanks for the reply

User avatar
JeanFrancois
Regular Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:26 pm

ayeness wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm
CanBr19 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm


Congrats on the passing mark on the Interview !

Firearm courses and tests take 2 days to pass (one day each for non-restricted and restricted). Result is valid for life. No need to apply for RPAL license.

PARE is valid for 18 months, I say it's most practical to do the PARE in the middle of the process. Some people have done it too early and had to re-do it. It costs money ... so better time it right to stay valid till you are accepted in Rigaud.

Good luck with the next steps !
Thanks for the advice. That helps quite a bit
JeanFrancois wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Could be a bit of wait for Psych testing, I passed my interview almost five months ago and I am still "waiting" for a date.

In terms of PAL, not necessary but recommended. To gain practical experience and knowledge of firearms. I am still waiting for the OPP to clear my PAL application: I've had a completed application on-file for 7 1/2 months, when I call monthly for an update, Yes sir everything is all-good, we just have a big back log etc....!

JC!
Damn the email said the psych eval would be within a month of receiving the interview results so i was hoping it would be quick.
Also, what do you mean by PAL?
Thanks for the reply
possession and acquisition license - i.e your firearms license.

A couple of months ago they sent out an email saying too many people have been successful in the interview stage lately and their is a delay in the psych.

Je suis content pour l'instant, Sent April 11, 2019

Good day,

Upon review of your application, we see that you are at the psychological evaluation (MMPI) stage of the process. Due to the overwhelming positive response to our selection processes, we are treating unexpected large volumes of psychological evaluation requests. Consequently, please be advised that your psychological evaluation has been delayed. We expect to have all outstanding evaluations booked in the upcoming months. Not specific

Kindly continue to check your inbox frequently for further correspondence regarding this selection process.

This email is for updating purposes only, a response is not necessary.

Thank you for your patience and interest in Canada Border Service Agency.

Sincerely,
CBSA:
App: Aug 2018
OT.E.E: PASS Oct 2018
Interview: PASS Jan 2019
Psych: T.B.D

RCMP
Hearing: PASS
Vision: Scheduled.

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Regular Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Nicholas1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm

whitetiger wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 am
Nicholas1989 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm
whitetiger wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am
I failed my OTEE back in September 2018. My retest date is coming up soon. I still apply when spots open up. I guess if you fail OTEE you're disqualified for a whole year? Till it expires.
Yes but the good part is, if you pass its valid for life until they revamp it or like change it completely
So does they mean they no longer do the other test? Forgot what its called something with 2 at the end.
Those two tests are gone I believe. The new hiring process is OTEE, its an online test. When I was in school in 2013/2014 they had those two tests I remember them I forgot the name but I don't think they use them anymore.
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants

CNYEG
Regular Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CNYEG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm

ayeness wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm
Hi Everyone
Just a question for those who have been through this application process, as this is my first time applying so I dont know what to expect from here.
I just received the news that I have been successful in my interview, and that the next step is to do the psych eval which ill hear about in about a month.
my question is, when is the best time to do the PARE and the restricted firearm license? i know PARE is only good for 18 months, and sometimes the security clearance can take quite a long time, so I dont know whwne to go ahead and get that done. should i start looking into it now? or should i wait a bit longer to make sure that it wont expire before i need it?
also, does the firearm safety certification ever expire? can this be done at any point?
Thanks for the advice
Congrats on your interview! What region are you from?
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Security Interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Regular Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Nicholas1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm
whitetiger wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 am
Nicholas1989 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm


Yes but the good part is, if you pass its valid for life until they revamp it or like change it completely
So does they mean they no longer do the other test? Forgot what its called something with 2 at the end.
Those two tests are gone I believe. The new hiring process is OTEE, its an online test. When I was in school in 2013/2014 they had those two tests I remember them I forgot the name but I don't think they use them anymore.
something BSOT? sorry not too sure been a while since i was in school
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants

Catlady
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Catlady » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm
In terms of PAL, not necessary but recommended. To gain practical experience and knowledge of firearms. I am still waiting for the OPP to clear my PAL application: I've had a completed application on-file for 7 1/2 months, when I call monthly for an update, Yes sir everything is all-good, we just have a big back log etc....!

JC!
May I ask why the OPP has to clear your PAL application? My understanding is that it's the RCMP that process and issue RPAL/PAL licenses or is it different for Ontario residents?

Mine processed quite quickly. I sent the application in at the end of April and I just checked the status online and can see that it's been issued. I should be receiving it in the mail any day now.
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
OTEE - February 2019 (pass)
Interview - April 2019 (pass)
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019 (pass)
PARE - June 2019 (pass)

CNYEG
Regular Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CNYEG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Catlady wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 pm
JeanFrancois wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm
In terms of PAL, not necessary but recommended. To gain practical experience and knowledge of firearms. I am still waiting for the OPP to clear my PAL application: I've had a completed application on-file for 7 1/2 months, when I call monthly for an update, Yes sir everything is all-good, we just have a big back log etc....!

JC!
May I ask why the OPP has to clear your PAL application? My understanding is that it's the RCMP that process and issue RPAL/PAL licenses or is it different for Ontario residents?

Mine processed quite quickly. I sent the application in at the end of April and I just checked the status online and can see that it's been issued. I should be receiving it in the mail any day now.
Same with mine👍🏽
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Security Interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

essdee
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:30 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby essdee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

I’m still anxiously waiting for an interview after applying during the Jan-Feb 2019 process. My question is, if the next selection process gets posted before I’m offered an interview - would it make sense for me to apply to that process as well?

Does anyone know if they interview all the people who were successful in the OTEE from a previous process before conducting interviews in a new selection process?

I’m trying my best to understand the process and this forum has truly been helpful with everyone sharing their experiences. I wish there was a way to predict each step better so we could plan our life accordingly.
Selection Process: Feb 2019
OTEE: March 2019 - passed

ktddad
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ktddad » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 pm

essdee wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm
I’m still anxiously waiting for an interview after applying during the Jan-Feb 2019 process. My question is, if the next selection process gets posted before I’m offered an interview - would it make sense for me to apply to that process as well?
No just wait.

CBSAVALLEE
Rookie Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CBSAVALLEE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm

essdee wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm
I’m still anxiously waiting for an interview after applying during the Jan-Feb 2019 process. My question is, if the next selection process gets posted before I’m offered an interview - would it make sense for me to apply to that process as well?

Does anyone know if they interview all the people who were successful in the OTEE from a previous process before conducting interviews in a new selection process?

I’m trying my best to understand the process and this forum has truly been helpful with everyone sharing their experiences. I wish there was a way to predict each step better so we could plan our life accordingly.
Hi!
They interview everview everyone who passed the OTEE. That cost money to the agency so they want to go further with all the applicant.

About the timeline, you should not worry about ''the waiting'' part. This is normal. You can easily wait up to 5 to 9 months.


This is a long process, but it worth it! You should start to save money for the futur. If you go to Rigaud, you'll need money to pay your mortgage, bills, car, insurance, etc.


Good luck !
:)

CBSAVALLEE
Rookie Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CBSAVALLEE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi guys !
I finally received an email about my security back ground check. They work on my security file BUT PDF files submitted in 2018 are no longer accepted and a new updated online form is required.
I was wondering if one of you had the same situation. Plus, the new form don't have the reference part.
I wrote an email to them asking why I am not able to see the reference part but they will probably answer me back next week. Just curious.

Thanks!
8)
:)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Depot Web and 16 guests