GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

whitetiger
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby whitetiger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am

I failed my OTEE back in September 2018. My retest date is coming up soon. I still apply when spots open up. I guess if you fail OTEE you're disqualified for a whole year? Till it expires.

Nicholas1989

Postby Nicholas1989 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm

whitetiger wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am
I failed my OTEE back in September 2018. My retest date is coming up soon. I still apply when spots open up. I guess if you fail OTEE you're disqualified for a whole year? Till it expires.
Yes but the good part is, if you pass its valid for life until they revamp it or like change it completely
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants

Mxylcpclic
Rookie Member

Postby Mxylcpclic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:31 pm

So I received a mixed bag of emails this week. (More good than bad, really, can't complain.)

First, I received an email that my medical has to be renewed before the next intake. And knowing that the next intake after August 2019, is January 2020, I sort of felt disappointed that I couldn't make it to the August 2019 one.

Second, I received an email (today) that my security clearance has been granted. It gave me a little hope that I might still squeeze into that August 2019 intake.

I don't really have a question here, I just want to share my situation. I'd be interested to hear if anybody else is on the same boat as me or if anyone has anything to say about it.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE MOVING ON IN THEIR APPLICATION!

And to everyone getting disappointing results: If this is your dream and/or a goal in life, then it's worth going at it again, I wish you all nothing but the best.
CBSA
Applied: 04.18
Post Secondary Requirement Met
Interview: 07.18
Security Papers: 08.18
Psych Evaluation: 09.18
Medical: 10.18
PARE: 01.19
Security Interview: 05.19
Security Clearance obtained: 06.19
OITP:
Rigaud:

Nanuk22
Rookie Member

Postby Nanuk22 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm

So I have all my stuff passed I was late getting my pare test done because he have limited availability to get it done here in NL. I was getting emails saying to get it done because there was a summer intake Class then I got a email saying the next intake was winter 2019 any way I can find out more as to what is going on with my application?

JeanFrancois

Postby JeanFrancois » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:00 pm
JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm

I thought this was really well worded and the writer took the time to explain things, sometimes the truth is a harsh reality. Good post :D
Yeah, I was surprised I was told to lighten up and be an adult over my post. I was going to defend myself to the OP but I didn't want any more drama on the thread. I was as supportive and positive as I could have been. I've been in Nicholas1989's shoes before when I failed the interview, so I knew he was already feeling down, why kick him down further. I offered statistics, support, and finished off with 1 bit of criticism

I addressed his comments/concerns one by one, IE:

1) "am I stupid for failing the interview"
No, 64% of people fail the interview, myself included, now you have an idea of what to expect for next time. 54% of people fail the exam, but you passed, be proud of yourself, you're not stupid.

Another interesting statistic from the Evaluation

"On average 20,439 people apply to the CBSA per year, only 294 of those people will be accepted into training."

2) "am I not destined to be a CBSA officer"
Maybe this is why I got told to lighten up and be an adult I guess. The whole "destined" word just was so weird... This was my one bit of criticism as it screamed entitlement, as an applicant, I do not like the idea of other applicants thinking they deserve a job more than me because of "destiny"

I think my contribution of statistics and support for him far outweigh my one little moment of "huh?"

Thanks for your support, Jean! Wild to see you still haven't had a Psych invite.
Yea, it is a little wild,but it's the government and alot of changes going on with the CBSA right now. So I am taking the time to do some professional development; I am brushing up on my french at the local community college and hopefully in the near future i'll modify my application for a second language and then i'll take the french language test (SLE I believe) and possibly that might add a few points to my application and bump me up a few spots.

From research on this forum; recruiting seems to be a little slower in my area(London). I am also paying off some debts and i'll be selling my business at the end of this year. You know your getting old when you have to zoom in on your web browser a little bit to read the forum posts.

I am starting to prepare and train to pass the ATS stuff as next April i'll be putting some in police applications; Most likely i'll apply to TPS. Tough service to work at with under staffing and budget cuts, but I like the challenge and the possibility for career advancement.

In terms of Nicholas1989's, I've actually spoken to him on the phone and he "seems" like a descent guy at first glance, when I was in my early twenties and wanted to get into law enforcement I had a poor attitude and a chip on my shoulder,Thinking I knew everything and could conquer the world. Most guys with a little effort get better with age.

One of my favorite community college instructors and mentor for policing back in 2010, Said to me "It's good that you know alot of answers, But do yourself a favor Johnny, Shut up, listen and do as your told. @ Sound advice in almost any life situation
CBSA:
App: Aug 2018
OT.E.E: PASS Oct 2018
Interview: PASS Jan 2019
Psych: T.B.D

RCMP
Hearing: PASS
Vision: Scheduled.

JeanFrancois

Postby JeanFrancois » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:30 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am
Hey gang, I don't post much but really enjoying the open communication and seeing everyone's progress on here, you guys have a lot of helpful advice, tips and experiences! Just the kind of crew I would want to be working with if the opportunity presents itself :thumbsup:
Good post. We all appreciate your kind words.
CBSA:

RCMP

miscaware
Rookie Member

Postby miscaware » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 am

Hate to say it but I failed my interview for the 3rd time :|. I don't know anyone who has failed 3 times. I'm not giving up though because law enforcement is something I've always wanted to do.

On a side note, does anyone know when the next selection process will be? I really hope I get another chance to interview this year.

JDube

Postby JDube » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am

miscaware wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 am
Hate to say it but I failed my interview for the 3rd time :|. I don't know anyone who has failed 3 times. I'm not giving up though because law enforcement is something I've always wanted to do.
How much time between each attempts? There used to be a 2 year wait time after an interview fail. While I thought it was a bit harsh, I truely believe it was a good thing to have SOME wait time.

In the 3 years between my two attempts, I went through a lot and I really mean A LOT of life experiences, both personnal and professionnal. I am 100% confident that it did play a role in my second interview's success.

Don't give up but take the time to live.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March 19th, Pass
Interview: May 27th - Results June 07th, Pass

Jumb34t
Rookie Member

Postby Jumb34t » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 am

JDube wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am
miscaware wrote:
How much time between each attempts? There used to be a 2 year wait time after an interview fail. While I thought it was a bit harsh, I truely believe it was a good thing to have SOME wait time.

In the 3 years between my two attempts, I went through a lot and I really mean A LOT of life experiences, both personnal and professionnal. I am 100% confident that it did play a role in my second interview's success.

They might've changed that now. Unlike the OTEE, Psych, Medical, and Security, the website doesn't say anything regarding waiting period if you fail the interview. You should be able to apply whenever the application reopens.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Sept 28/2018
OTEE: Oct 16/2018
OTEE Result: Oct 31/2018 Pass 77.5%
Interview: April 26/2019 Pass
PARE: Aug 16/2019
Psych: TBD

JDube

Postby JDube » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 am
They might've changed that now. Unlike the OTEE, Psych, Medical, and Security, the website doesn't say anything regarding waiting period if you fail the interview. You should be able to apply whenever the application reopens.
I know, hence why I used the past tense. What I am saying is that it is a good thing not to rush attempts, in order to get time to mature and develop yourself.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March 19th, Pass
Interview: May 27th - Results June 07th, Pass

ba_storm
Rookie Member

Postby ba_storm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Any more invites this week for August go out that anyone knows of ?

ayeness
Rookie Member

Postby ayeness » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi Everyone
Just a question for those who have been through this application process, as this is my first time applying so I dont know what to expect from here.
I just received the news that I have been successful in my interview, and that the next step is to do the psych eval which ill hear about in about a month.
my question is, when is the best time to do the PARE and the restricted firearm license? i know PARE is only good for 18 months, and sometimes the security clearance can take quite a long time, so I dont know whwne to go ahead and get that done. should i start looking into it now? or should i wait a bit longer to make sure that it wont expire before i need it?
also, does the firearm safety certification ever expire? can this be done at any point?
Thanks for the advice

CanBr19
Rookie Member

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

miscaware
Rookie Member

Postby miscaware » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 pm

JDube wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am
miscaware wrote:

My first attempt was February 2015. At the time I had to wait 2 years for another shot, so I moved on with my life and took the time to improve myself. In hindsight, I was definitely not mature enough or ready for a career in law enforcement. 2nd attempt was July 2018, I did much better this time but still came up short. 3rd time was last month, where I passed the competencies that I failed the 2nd time, but failed the ones that I passed last time :? . I know I'll get there eventually if I keep improving, I just hope I get another shot soon.

JeanFrancois

Postby JeanFrancois » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm

ayeness wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm
Hi Everyone
Just a question for those who have been through this application process, as this is my first time applying so I dont know what to expect from here.
I just received the news that I have been successful in my interview, and that the next step is to do the psych eval which ill hear about in about a month.
my question is, when is the best time to do the PARE and the restricted firearm license? i know PARE is only good for 18 months, and sometimes the security clearance can take quite a long time, so I dont know whwne to go ahead and get that done. should i start looking into it now? or should i wait a bit longer to make sure that it wont expire before i need it?
also, does the firearm safety certification ever expire? can this be done at any point?
Thanks for the advice
Could be a bit of wait for Psych testing, I passed my interview almost five months ago and I am still "waiting" for a date.

In terms of PAL, not necessary but recommended. To gain practical experience and knowledge of firearms. I am still waiting for the OPP to clear my PAL application: I've had a completed application on-file for 7 1/2 months, when I call monthly for an update, Yes sir everything is all-good, we just have a big back log etc....!

JC!
CBSA:

RCMP