GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
bordurrr
Rookie Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby bordurrr » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Galadriel0718 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm
bordurrr wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:47 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:28 am


They've changed it up as of January last year.
I'll start with CDT just because it was asked first; CDT you'll learn the basics of use of force. All of your handcuffing techniques and scenario based trainnig, plus some basic self-defence. Typically; you're on the mats for either the morning or afternoon, and then on the range for the other half of the day depending how your schedule works. I was morning on the mats and range in the afternoon. Since I wasn't very confident with the stuff on the mats, I left every day feeling good because I was pretty confident on the range so it balanced out.


It all happens at the same time. Essentially, your week may look like this;
Monday: Theory
Tuesday: Theory
Wednesday: CDT/DFC
Thursday: Theory
Friday: CDT/DFC

I won't get into specifics but that's how it is basically lined up. I just threw theory as the word there because I didn't want to get into Customs and Immigration stuff.


It is sort of semestered in the sense that the training builds on itself. You'll do Primary for the first like month, then get into scenario based training, then testing... and then you'll get into secondary, and then a month after get into scenario based training. The last two weeks you'll focus completely on CDT/DFC doing Scenario based training. As someone who wasn't very confident on the mats, let me tell you that when shit is hitting the fan during those training sessions, your abilities as an officer really come out. I loved every second of those training sessions because it felt real and I wasn't going half speed, worrying about injuring a friend.

Hope this answers your questions.

Awesome, thank you for this information. I train hard as a cyclist/lift weights etc...what are the gym hours like? How is the food?
Gym you can go to anytime - it is small though, most people went before class - after classes, you'll have PT (physical training) 3x a week for an hour, varying between strength, cardio and HIIT. The food is..... :ponder: questionable at best - just don't rely on it, stock up on snacks and protein foods you can have before PT and during classes. Bring along whatever supplements you want as well, I ended up ordering some while in Rigaud.
Very helpful, thank you...so as far as additional fitness testing goes, there are no more required standards to meet?

IronWolf
Veteran Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:46 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:28 am

They've changed it up as of January last year.
I'll start with CDT just because it was asked first; CDT you'll learn the basics of use of force. All of your handcuffing techniques and scenario based trainnig, plus some basic self-defence. Typically; you're on the mats for either the morning or afternoon, and then on the range for the other half of the day depending how your schedule works. I was morning on the mats and range in the afternoon. Since I wasn't very confident with the stuff on the mats, I left every day feeling good because I was pretty confident on the range so it balanced out.


It all happens at the same time. Essentially, your week may look like this;
Monday: Theory
Tuesday: Theory
Wednesday: CDT/DFC
Thursday: Theory
Friday: CDT/DFC

I won't get into specifics but that's how it is basically lined up. I just threw theory as the word there because I didn't want to get into Customs and Immigration stuff.


It is sort of semestered in the sense that the training builds on itself. You'll do Primary for the first like month, then get into scenario based training, then testing... and then you'll get into secondary, and then a month after get into scenario based training. The last two weeks you'll focus completely on CDT/DFC doing Scenario based training. As someone who wasn't very confident on the mats, let me tell you that when shit is hitting the fan during those training sessions, your abilities as an officer really come out. I loved every second of those training sessions because it felt real and I wasn't going half speed, worrying about injuring a friend.

Hope this answers your questions.
Thx !

Helpful as always !

Online
treeego
Rookie Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby treeego » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:56 pm
bordurrr wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm
Does anybody know what the fitness component of Rigaud is like? Is there additional fitness testing?
You'll do classes twice a week. They start off with assessments. Pare, plank, push ups, etc. to see where your baseline is.

To be quite honest, most people with any fitness experience tend to take their classes lightly because for anyone with a lot of experience in the gym, they don't find them effective classes. They seem to be more geared towards people with lower levels of fitness. That's one aspect I wouldn't worry about. The most fitness intensive part of your course is the CDT portion on the mats. 8 hours of that in a day will take the wind out of your sails pretty quickly.
What exactly is CDT? I've heard people mention it a few times but nothing more than it just being extremely tiring and exhausting
CBSA
Applied - Jan 2017
Interview - April 2018
Pysch - May 2018
Pare - July 2018; June 2019
Security papers sent - May 2018
Medical - May 2018; May 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - June 2019
Online: FEB2020
Rigaud: APRIL2020

hsinom
Regular Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Is anyone else on a similar timeline like mine and received a confirmation of a upcoming medical renewal but no date assigned?
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

thomasr15
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:18 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby thomasr15 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:06 am
Does anyone have experience with bridging as an SBSO? What was your experience like?
What do you want to know exactly?
Specifically how long it took for the bridging to happen. What was the length of time that it took to get an offer to go to Rigaud? Was there any additional steps you had to take in order to bridge? Thanks.
SBSO PRA 05/2019 - Present

Boomboom72
Regular Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Boomboom72 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:01 pm

hsinom wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 pm
Is anyone else on a similar timeline like mine and received a confirmation of a upcoming medical renewal but no date assigned?
I’m with ya ;)
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm

thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:06 am
Does anyone have experience with bridging as an SBSO? What was your experience like?
What do you want to know exactly?
Specifically how long it took for the bridging to happen. What was the length of time that it took to get an offer to go to Rigaud? Was there any additional steps you had to take in order to bridge? Thanks.
I know that SBSOs don't have the same recruitment process as normal BSOs do. The OTEE should carry over I would think, but you might need to do another interview. You'll definitely need to do the psych which includes two exams and a face to face with a psychologist "scheduled close together".

It wouldn't surprise me if you need to redo security as it would make sense SBSOs get a lower level clearance or less intensive clearance. PARE and CAT-III Medical would probably need to be redone due to expiration.

You'll also need to make sure you have your full unrestricted driver's licence for your province of residence BEFORE applying and then get your CFSC and CRFSC before going to Rigaud.

I don't know exactly how the bridging process works but if I'm not mistaken you just apply to the process like anyone else except you'll get to skip a couple steps.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

outsider12
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:38 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby outsider12 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm

At what step does a applicant do the pare? If I fail how long would I have to wait to redo it.

kellylihomes
Regular Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kellylihomes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 pm

outsider12 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm
At what step does a applicant do the pare? If I fail how long would I have to wait to redo it.
I would suggest after you send in your security paper, as long as you can book pare testing not too late and you know you can pass it for sure. If you fail the test, you can redo it any time after.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

User avatar
kittycat1024
Regular Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm

Just did my PARE, 4:52” :( it’s not easy! ! :roll:
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

DrancsCDN
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 am
Location: Northern Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby DrancsCDN » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Boomboom72 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:01 pm
hsinom wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 pm
Is anyone else on a similar timeline like mine and received a confirmation of a upcoming medical renewal but no date assigned?
I’m with ya ;)
Same here 88)
Applied: 04/18
Interview: 12/18 ✅
Psych: 02/19 ✅
Sec. Papers: 02/19 ✅
SLE Comp./Writing: 03/19 ✅
PARE: 05/19 ✅
Medical: 06/19 ✅ 03/20 in progress
Sec. Interview: 08/19✅
Clear. Granted: 08/19✅
SLE Oral Prof.:10/19✅
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

kellylihomes
Regular Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kellylihomes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Just did my PARE, 4:52” :( it’s not easy! ! :roll:

You still have lots of time. Keep on practising, you can do it!
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Boomboom72
Regular Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Boomboom72 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:26 pm

kellylihomes wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 pm
kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Just did my PARE, 4:52” :( it’s not easy! ! :roll:

You still have lots of time. Keep on practising, you can do it!
Agreed;) your pretty damn close !! And now that you’ve seen what it’s all about I’m sure you’ll pass the next time !!
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

kellylihomes
Regular Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kellylihomes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:30 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Just did my PARE, 4:52” :( it’s not easy! ! :roll:
Also, on YouTube, there are lots of techs and tricks to help you minimize the time. Those help a lot. Pace yourself while you are doing it! Good luck!
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

hsinom
Regular Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Just did my PARE, 4:52” :( it’s not easy! ! :roll:
Pace it ! Don’t rush and remember to keep even breathing.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], SemrushBot, treeego and 9 guests