GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

ba_storm
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ba_storm » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

wannabecucumber2 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm
ba_storm wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 pm
Ok! Goodluck with that I hope it doesn’t take too long for you to get your results and clearance !!! I’ve been cleared since end of Jan 2019 , so really anticipating this invite !!

Best of luck to you !
Hey ba_storm,

Still on standby :((
Let’s keep the faith ! 🤞🏼🙏🏼

MakingItTrue
Rookie Member

Postby MakingItTrue » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:10 pm

How does the posting work after Rigaud?
Over a year ago when I applied I chose areas around where I currently live. A year later, I want to get sent to BC after Rigaud instead of Ontario where I originally "preferred". Is there anything at the end of course where you're able to select this? I know nothing is guaranteed, but are my preferences locked in at this point

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:04 pm
I'm going to reply to both of your posts here since I don't wanna get in trouble for using the "Ask the CBSA" thread incorrectly

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:36 pm
does failing the interview mean like you're stupid, Because thats how I feel right now. Am I even destined to become a CBSA officer?
My guy... over half the people who do the interview end up failing it. If it were easy then everyone would do it. I failed my first interview and passed on my 2nd time around. Be proud of yourself for passing the OTEE since 54% of the people who do the OTEE, do not pass! Imagine if you failed the OTEE and had to wait 1 year to redo it! now you only have to wait for the next posting and you can pick up where you left off.

The interview addresses a competency called "dealing with difficult situations" it's not supposed to be easy, otherwise, it would be called "dealing with easy situations". Also, when I failed my first time around, I went and spoke with a regional recruiter who said the Judgement competency is what most people failed on, this was corroborated by the Evaluation of the Application process (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... a-eng.html) See section 3.6. See this graph of what % of applications fail at which competency https://imgur.com/a/YvStrs3

64% of people who do the interview, fail to demonstrate the "Judgement" competency. The requirements for judgment have to be harsh since me, as a citizen, do not want CBSA officers letting in bad people. Would you rather you found out you have poor judgment through an interview, or to find out that the guy you let into the country with a DUI ended up killing a family?

You're being extremely melodramatic about the whole "being destined to be a CBSA officer" thing. I got the news that I failed my first interview on Christmas Eve and I still took it in stride and as a learning experience and I ended up passing on my 2nd try. You say you're going to apply in the next posting, but what is that gonna do you any good if you do not learn from your first mistakes?
Nicholas1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am
For sure I failed going to reapply again next job posting.

2questions I left blank pretty hard interview never had anything like it
See above, but yes, it's a hard interview. 64% of people who do the interview, do not pass it. What do you mean you left 2 questions blank? Do you mean that you just did not feel confident in them or that you literally did not answer 2 of their questions?
I thought this was really well worded and the writer took the time to explain things, sometimes the truth is a harsh reality. Good post :D
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: September 5th, 2019

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:00 pm

JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm

I thought this was really well worded and the writer took the time to explain things, sometimes the truth is a harsh reality. Good post :D
Yeah, I was surprised I was told to lighten up and be an adult over my post. I was going to defend myself to the OP but I didn't want any more drama on the thread. I was as supportive and positive as I could have been. I've been in Nicholas1989's shoes before when I failed the interview, so I knew he was already feeling down, why kick him down further. I offered statistics, support, and finished off with 1 bit of criticism

I addressed his comments/concerns one by one, IE:

1) "am I stupid for failing the interview"
No, 64% of people fail the interview, myself included, now you have an idea of what to expect for next time. 54% of people fail the exam, but you passed, be proud of yourself, you're not stupid.

Another interesting statistic from the Evaluation

"On average 20,439 people apply to the CBSA per year, only 294 of those people will be accepted into training."

2) "am I not destined to be a CBSA officer"
Maybe this is why I got told to lighten up and be an adult I guess. The whole "destined" word just was so weird... This was my one bit of criticism as it screamed entitlement, as an applicant, I do not like the idea of other applicants thinking they deserve a job more than me because of "destiny"

I think my contribution of statistics and support for him far outweigh my one little moment of "huh?"

Thanks for your support, Jean! Wild to see you still haven't had a Psych invite.
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

mtturnbu
Rookie Member

Postby mtturnbu » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:05 pm

To the candidate who interviewed in Ottawa before me this morning, gave me his paid parking ticket and wished me luck - not sure if you’re on here, but thank you and I hope you did well in your interview.
CBSA:

PAL: June 2018
Applied: Feb 2019
OTEE: Mar 2019 - Pass
Interview: June 5, 2019 - Pass
PARE: July 7, 2019 - Pass
Psych: TBD

Nicholas1989

Postby Nicholas1989 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 pm

yeah I'm just hard on myself 88) I'll return one day
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

wannabecucumber2

Postby wannabecucumber2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Tornelco,

I don't believe that was directed at you, and I thought it was kind of you to explain everything like you did in your post. I think you should read the post again. I believe they were in agreement with you.

Furthermore I dont think using 'Destined' held any hidden meaning. Nicholas was just venting IMO. But I'll let Nicholas speak for himself.

Nicholas I wish you the best on your journey wherever that may lead you. I hope you continue to grow and learn about this wild ride we call life. I want you to know I failed my first interview. Fortunatley I was successful the 2nd time...maybe with a little luck and experience from the first time.

Going forward I hope the tone of the forum stays more on the positive side of things. I can tell you from experience that you will need friends and help along the way while at Rigaud. Nobody does it alone. Law enforcement can attract a lot of type A personalities and I think people would be better served to tone down the rhetoric. Once you're in Rigaud you're not competing with one another....you're helping each other.

Best of luck to everyone in the process😊

wannabecucumber2

Postby wannabecucumber2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 pm

*fortunately

wannabecucumber2

Postby wannabecucumber2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am

Check your emails :D

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:33 am

wannabecucumber2 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am
You get some good news cukey? :thumbsup:
Applied: 2012
---------------
Applied: Jan 2019
OTEE: Feb 2019 - Passed: Mar 19
Int: TBD

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am

Hey gang, I don't post much but really enjoying the open communication and seeing everyone's progress on here, you guys have a lot of helpful advice, tips and experiences! Just the kind of crew I would want to be working with if the opportunity presents itself :thumbsup:
Applied: 2012
---------------
Applied: Jan 2019
OTEE: Feb 2019 - Passed: Mar 19
Int: TBD

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:49 am

wannabecucumber2 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am
You got me excited. But then I remembered you're waiting for your OITP/Rigaud invite :lol:
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Sept 28/2018
OTEE: Oct 16/2018
OTEE Result: Oct 31/2018 Pass 77.5%
Interview: April 26/2019 Pass
PARE: Aug 16/2019 Pass
Psych: TBD

smalltown2018
Rookie Member

Postby smalltown2018 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Hello fellow applicants,

First time posting here and I was wondering if I'm the only person this happened to. A few weeks ago, I received an email asking to confirm my attendance for my interview by May 30th by email which I did immediately. However, to my surprise, this morning I received another email stating that my interview time slot has been assigned to someone else since I did not confirm my attendance. I would like to say that I read every single word in that interview invitation email and followed exactly as it says. I have to say I am quite disappointed and frustrated as well, I did some searching online and noticed that on the official website there is a form that you could fill out to confirm your attendance as well, but in the email it only requested that you confirm attendance through email. Has this happened to anyone else as well? I've already emailed the HR team and hopefully they would get back to me soon. The only reason I can think of for them not "receiving" my confirmation would probably because I did not fill out the form on the CBSA website. Am I at fault here?

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smalltown2018
Rookie Member

Postby smalltown2018 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:00 pm

CanBr19 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:47 pm
smalltown2018 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:22 pm
Hello fellow applicants,

First time posting here and I was wondering if I'm the only person this happened to. A few weeks ago, I received an email asking to confirm my attendance for my interview by May 30th by email which I did immediately. However, to my surprise, this morning I received another email stating that my interview time slot has been assigned to someone else since I did not confirm my attendance. I would like to say that I read every single word in that interview invitation email and followed exactly as it says. I have to say I am quite disappointed and frustrated as well, I did some searching online and noticed that on the official website there is a form that you could fill out to confirm your attendance as well, but in the email it only requested that you confirm attendance through email. Has this happened to anyone else as well? I've already emailed the HR team and hopefully they would get back to me soon. The only reason I can think of for them not "receiving" my confirmation would probably because I did not fill out the form on the CBSA website. Am I at fault here?
At the time I replied also right away and in a few minutes I received a confirmation reply, thanking me for confirming my attendance.

I did not complete any form online, as it was not required in the email.

Make sure you formulated the Subject of your confirmation email as they requested, who knows, attention to detail may be the key ;)

In any case, I would suggest politely asking for a new spot when it becomes available.

Cheers !
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I did not get a reply of confirmation from them. And, I wasn't expecting one as well. They should have still received my email though. Hopefully, they would look into my situation and fit me in another time slot.