GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:19 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:10 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am
A North wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 am


I can agree with the anger about new recruits getting their choice priority over seasoned BSOs. Internal transfers should come first; they do everywhere else.

The only argument I have against new recruits getting placed there, is that NS can't turn into a retirement home for the CBSA and have only seasoned members there. Granted- they don't right now, which is great, but if they keep only allowing internal transfers, that's what might end up happening. But otherwise, I agree. I think I was sour about it because this was only a few waves after me and I was jealous haha.
Another one of the issues with the Union and Management.
Union and management is an interesting topic to bring up that I haven't seen here yet. It seems many federal departments do this but CBSA has been exceptionally slow: why are the contract negotiations all retroactive?? Is it that difficult to make contracts for the future? Since the current contract talks are only for 2013-2018. Yes, any changes would hypothetically be applied to 2019 onwards as well but FBs will still be out of a contract once this negotiation is done. Is there a reason for why/how they do it, if I may ask here?
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm
Just received the following email from recruitment,

"Please note that your CATIII will be expiring prior to the next intake on July 6 2020. Someone from our team will be in touch with you in the next few months to reschedule your CATIII. once you have valid CATIII results you will be invited to OITP"

Looks like the cycle continues...
If possible try to ask if you can go through your family doc for CAT III once they contact you maybe? It might create quicker results for you and lower the risk of not being in the next intake or 3.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

cbmcmsa
Regular Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:00 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:19 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:10 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am



The only argument I have against new recruits getting placed there, is that NS can't turn into a retirement home for the CBSA and have only seasoned members there. Granted- they don't right now, which is great, but if they keep only allowing internal transfers, that's what might end up happening. But otherwise, I agree. I think I was sour about it because this was only a few waves after me and I was jealous haha.
Another one of the issues with the Union and Management.
Union and management is an interesting topic to bring up that I haven't seen here yet. It seems many federal departments do this but CBSA has been exceptionally slow: why are the contract negotiations all retroactive?? Is it that difficult to make contracts for the future? Since the current contract talks are only for 2013-2018. Yes, any changes would hypothetically be applied to 2019 onwards as well but FBs will still be out of a contract once this negotiation is done. Is there a reason for why/how they do it, if I may ask here?
This is one of those things that you probably would be better to PM someone, or ask someone to PM you about. No on here will probably open up about the struggles of the CBA.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)

Zepedder
Rookie Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zepedder » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:54 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 pm
Zepedder wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm
Just received the following email from recruitment,

"Please note that your CATIII will be expiring prior to the next intake on July 6 2020. Someone from our team will be in touch with you in the next few months to reschedule your CATIII. once you have valid CATIII results you will be invited to OITP"

Looks like the cycle continues...

If possible try to ask if you can go through your family doc for CAT III once they contact you maybe? It might create quicker results for you and lower the risk of not being in the next intake or 3.
Yeah that's a good idea! I actually did reply back asking if I could preemptively complete it before it expires.
Last edited by Zepedder on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

IronWolf
Veteran Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm

If CBSA implements that process someone mentioned earlier : To assign POE at the invite time, matching the selected preferred work locations on the Application, would be great.

That will assure only happy recruits are in training, no stress and anxiety for weeks till the random draws for POE occur.

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:10 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm
If CBSA implements that process someone mentioned earlier : To assign POE at the invite time, matching the selected preferred work locations on the Application, would be great.

That will assure only happy recruits are in training, no stress and anxiety for weeks till the random draws for POE occur.
I agree! And having an online trade system that closes for each troop at the end of online training wouldn't be hard to set up either.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Ulcaster555
Regular Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Ulcaster555 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:22 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm
If CBSA implements that process someone mentioned earlier : To assign POE at the invite time, matching the selected preferred work locations on the Application, would be great.

That will assure only happy recruits are in training, no stress and anxiety for weeks till the random draws for POE occur.
Before, you applied to all of Canada, the last competition (2018) was by region: Eastern, Quebec, N.ONT, S.ONT, Western. I know they do try to post per candidate preference, however; don't forget the positions available, the bigger the port the more chances you have, then going to a 2 officer port. So you may not have the port/region you selected.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Emak
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Emak » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm
Just received the following email from recruitment,

"Please note that your CATIII will be expiring prior to the next intake on July 6 2020. Someone from our team will be in touch with you in the next few months to reschedule your CATIII. once you have valid CATIII results you will be invited to OITP"

Looks like the cycle continues...
I feel you my friend.
I am waiting to get physch rescheduled as it expires in Feb 2020. 2 x meds + 2 pares + 2 phych = perfect triple double lol.
Enjoy super bowl weekend.
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/2020 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

samw9
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby samw9 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 pm

Nick23 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 pm
Similar to a few of you guys, I got an email to redo the medical (3rd time for me). But in this email it did say the medical needs to be completed to "be eligible for the next intake in the the summer". It has never said something like this when I did my last 2 medicals...

Anyone have any idea if this means I'm going to Rigaud in the summer if the medical is successful or am I reading too much into it? fyi I recieved my security clearance in Oct 2019
I received an email saying to complete my PARE prior to Feb 17th in order to be included in the spring 2020 intake. I completed my PARE on Jan 25th and there were three other applicants there that had received the same email from recruitment. I have yet to receive an invite to the spring 2020 intake and from what I have read its definitely full by now. I'm not trying to say you won't make the summer intake I'm just saying don't read too much into it. I assumed from that email that I would for sure get an invite for the spring intake...somewhat misleading email.

ummarhamid
Rookie Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ummarhamid » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:52 pm

samw9 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 pm
Nick23 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 pm
Similar to a few of you guys, I got an email to redo the medical (3rd time for me). But in this email it did say the medical needs to be completed to "be eligible for the next intake in the the summer". It has never said something like this when I did my last 2 medicals...

Anyone have any idea if this means I'm going to Rigaud in the summer if the medical is successful or am I reading too much into it? fyi I recieved my security clearance in Oct 2019
I received an email saying to complete my PARE prior to Feb 17th in order to be included in the spring 2020 intake. I completed my PARE on Jan 25th and there were three other applicants there that had received the same email from recruitment. I have yet to receive an invite to the spring 2020 intake and from what I have read its definitely full by now. I'm not trying to say you won't make the summer intake I'm just saying don't read too much into it. I assumed from that email that I would for sure get an invite for the spring intake...somewhat misleading email.

Last winter intake was April so assuming now it will be for may/June for spring and July/August for summer.

Did you reply to the email telling them that pare was completed on January 25th and results were submitted to CBSA recruitment.

Even if they were submitted by the testing person attach your copy that was provided by the testing person.

Chicken111
Rookie Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Chicken111 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:26 am

Hello everyone,

I'm asking Qc applicants if they are in the same waiting train. It seems to go really slow (2 months after sending my security documents, I received an email saying I had to send them back because they had an issue with online forms). I'm doing my PARE on tuesday feb,4th, to give a "push" on my recruiting folder. I had no communications yet about completing my PARE, SLE or CATIII.
CBSA Mtl applicant
Applied Sept.18 ✅
OTEE: Oct.18 ✅
Interview Mar.19 ✅
MMPI: Sept.19 ✅
Psych Interview: Oct.19 ✅
Sec.Docs. Oct19/Dec19 (2x)
PARE: Feb.20 ✅
Int. Interview: May 20
Sec clearance: June 20 ✅
SLE:
CatIII med:
OITP:

Bryannerene
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Bryannerene » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:53 am

Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum but I need help! Anyone know anything about timelines? I’ve completed every hiring step for the CBSA and I’m waiting for online training dates. It’s been three months I’ve been waiting.... any idea on how much longer it’ll be until I hear anything? I’m stressing because of my living situation my lease is expired and I’m having to move but landlords want a full lease I’m struggling with finding six months. Any idea what Halle a if I sign a full year and the CBSA decides to send me within seven? Someone told me today they would pay out your lease but I highly doubt that....

Zedlinka
Regular Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Bryannerene wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:53 am
Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum but I need help! Anyone know anything about timelines? I’ve completed every hiring step for the CBSA and I’m waiting for online training dates. It’s been three months I’ve been waiting.... any idea on how much longer it’ll be until I hear anything? I’m stressing because of my living situation my lease is expired and I’m having to move but landlords want a full lease I’m struggling with finding six months. Any idea what Halle a if I sign a full year and the CBSA decides to send me within seven? Someone told me today they would pay out your lease but I highly doubt that....

First and foremost, they will not pay out your lease. I don't know who told you that. Unless something's changed since I went through Rigaud a year ago.

I strongly suggest reading through the pages of this forum. You will find a lot of information on timelines. There are online training dates coming, but I believe they are all filled for the winter and some will open up for the summer/fall intake dates.
Your wait could be 2 weeks to over a year. There's no way of knowing difinitely how long you'll be waiting, and anyone who tries to give you an accurate date would be guessing. At the very least you're looking at probably May for online training, but again, it's a guess based on when the next intakes are.

Good luck.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO


"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

User avatar
kittycat1024
Regular Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:15 pm

Bryannerene wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:53 am
Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum but I need help! Anyone know anything about timelines? I’ve completed every hiring step for the CBSA and I’m waiting for online training dates. It’s been three months I’ve been waiting.... any idea on how much longer it’ll be until I hear anything? I’m stressing because of my living situation my lease is expired and I’m having to move but landlords want a full lease I’m struggling with finding six months. Any idea what Halle a if I sign a full year and the CBSA decides to send me within seven? Someone told me today they would pay out your lease but I highly doubt that....
The timeline is very vary! You may consider short term lease? Month to month? Or 6 months.
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

bordurrr
Rookie Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby bordurrr » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Does anybody know what the fitness component of Rigaud is like? Is there additional fitness testing?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests