GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

1980applicant
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby 1980applicant » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm

ao2y wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:45 pm
Wow, applied since 2017 and I got my invite to Rigaud for July 16 - Intake 14C
:D I’m so happy!! Congrats to everyone else that got their invites.
Just looking at my original selection email and it will actually be 3 years to the day between being selected and attending Rigaud. All worth it in the end!
CBSA
Applied - July 2016
Pare - Jan 2018
Interview - Jun 2017 Passed July 2017
Sec Sent - July 2017
Psych Eval - Sept 2017 Passed Sept 2017
Med - Oct 17/Nov 18 Passed
Sec Int - Sept 2018 - Passed Mar 2019
OITP - May 2019
Rigaud - July 2019

CBSA19?
Rookie Member

Postby CBSA19? » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Got the invite email!!! Congrats to everyone else who got the 14C invite today! Cant wait to see you all there.
Applied: April 2018
Interview: May 2018
Security papers: May 2018
Psych: June 2018
Pare: June 2018
Medical: July 2018
Security interview: October 2018
Clearance: Obtained
Online: May 2019
Rigaud: July 2019

cb681

Postby cb681 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm

1980applicant wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm
Just looking at my original selection email and it will actually be 3 years to the day between being selected and attending Rigaud. All worth it in the end!
I will beat you by a month! Congrats on the invite and see you in Rigaud! what region is everyone from who got an invite? I'm from Ottawa.
OITP: May 2019
Rigaud: AUG 2019
14D

fahad6441
Rookie Member

Postby fahad6441 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm

hey everyone,
I will be applying CBSA as soon as they start the next intake. I will be graduating from the police foundation program in 2 weeks and finally going to apply for my dream job. My question is the importance of community involvement. I know that in policing community involvement is a considerable portion in terms of assessment. Just to make sure that does CBSA give the same emphasis on the community involvement of a candidate as much police agency does? Or work experience and other life skills are given priority?. Sorry, if it is a silly question just trying to make myself competitive. Thank you.

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 pm

fahad6441 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm
hey everyone,
I will be applying CBSA as soon as they start the next intake. I will be graduating from the police foundation program in 2 weeks and finally going to apply for my dream job. My question is the importance of community involvement. I know that in policing community involvement is a considerable portion in terms of assessment. Just to make sure that does CBSA give the same emphasis on the community involvement of a candidate as much police agency does? Or work experience and other life skills are given priority?. Sorry, if it is a silly question just trying to make myself competitive. Thank you.
If you're only volunteering to pad your resume then you're doing it wrong. Volunteer for something you enjoy... If it comes up then it comes up, if it doesn't then it doesn't
What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:52 pm

fahad6441 wrote:
hey everyone,
If you wanted to make yourself competitive, you wouldn't have taken police foundations.
Last edited by Slovak4188 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 am

fahad6441 wrote:
hey everyone,
Ignore anybody who makes a shitty comment about police foundations: a college diploma is a college diploma and it shows initiative.

I’ve spoken to many recruiters and it’s not looked down upon, most don’t care what your education is in as long as your improving and growing.

Volunteerism is a concern for policing careers in the application process phase. Most government jobs(CBSA is a government job) don’t place a large emphasis on volunteerism in the application process:they’ll be plenty of things you can offer your time to once your hired, the job is customer service with a focus on regulation enforcement: in my opinion how you spend your personal time is your own business ( as long as it’s law abiding)

Applications are always a consideration of many things education, expierence, skills etc
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: ?

TPS:
GIS: July 22th, 2019
PREP Practice: July 26th, 2019
WCT: Aug 17, 2019
PREP:
PATI: October 5th, 2019

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:43 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 am
fahad6441 wrote:
hey everyone,
Ignore anybody who makes a shitty comment about police foundations: a college diploma is a college diploma and it shows initiative.

I’ve spoken to many recruiters and it’s not looked down upon, most don’t care what your education is in as long as your improving and growing.

Volunteerism is a concern for policing careers in the application process phase. Most government jobs(CBSA is a government job) don’t place a large emphasis on volunteerism in the application process:they’ll be plenty of things you can offer your time to once your hired, the job is customer service with a focus on regulation enforcement: in my opinion how you spend your personal time is your own business ( as long as it’s law abiding)

Applications are always a consideration of many things education, expierence, skills etc
This couldn't be any further from the truth.

1) PF is a cash grab. Period. It builds no real world skills. How do I know? I took it. Biggest waste of time/money there is. ANY trades program is far more beneficial and looked far better on the resume, just as an example.

2) . They absolutely do care what your education is, otherwise, each level of education would not have different point totals attributed to them. :shame:

3) . Are you a LEO? If not, I highly recommend you do NOT tell an applicant (which is what YOU are) that an officer is giving bad advice or to ignore it (Harsh maybe, but it's a reality. That goes for Criminology degrees as well). Ask some of the people that PM'd me that i now see at work. I may be harsh, but I tell it like it is and wouldn't lead someone astray. Your advice is not only wrong for the most part, but is also coming from someone who is an applicant themselves.

4) . You could not be any more incorrect regarding volunteering.

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:43 am
JeanFrancois wrote:
fahad6441 wrote:
hey everyone,

1) PF is a cash grab. Period. It builds no real world skills. How do I know? I took it. Biggest waste of time/money there is. ANY trades program is far more beneficial and looked far better on the resume, just as an example.

2) . They absolutely do care what your education is, otherwise, each level of education would not have different point totals attributed to them. :shame:

3) . Are you a LEO? If not, I highly recommend you do NOT tell an applicant (which is what YOU are) that an officer is giving bad advice or to ignore it (Harsh maybe, but it's a reality. That goes for Criminology degrees as well). Ask some of the people that PM'd me that i now see at work. I may be harsh, but I tell it like it is and wouldn't lead someone astray. Your advice is not only wrong for the most part, but is also coming from someone who is an applicant themselves.

I am not going to have an argument with you.
You have your own opinion and I have mine.
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:

TPS:
PREP:

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your opinion is baseless and giving people on here horrible advice. This is the equivalent of me telling Peter or any other more experienced officer on here that my opinion somehow holds the same weight as theirs, even though they have leaps and bounds of more experience. You aren't even in any LE capacity. There isn't really anything to argue.

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:06 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 am
[/quote]

Your opinion is baseless and giving people on here horrible advice. This is the equivalent of me telling Peter or any other more experienced officer on here that my opinion somehow holds the same weight as theirs, even though they have leaps and bounds of more experience. You aren't even in any LE capacity. There isn't really anything to argue.
[/quote]

Buddy, give it a rest. You don’t know my story and I don’t know yours.
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:

TPS:
PREP:

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:38 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:43 am
JeanFrancois wrote:
fahad6441 wrote:
hey everyone,

They do mention in the job posting that having an education related to the job PF, Criminology, and Psychology is an asset and a preference atleast for the CBSA.
CO2

ba_storm
Rookie Member

Postby ba_storm » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am

Congratulations to everyone who has received an invite so far for 14C!!! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

1980applicant
Rookie Member

Postby 1980applicant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:27 am

cb681 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm
1980applicant wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm
I will beat you by a month! Congrats on the invite and see you in Rigaud! what region is everyone from who got an invite? I'm from Ottawa.
I’m in the Niagara region.
CBSA
Applied - July 2016
Pare - Jan 2018
Interview - Jun 2017 Passed July 2017
Sec Sent - July 2017
Psych Eval - Sept 2017 Passed Sept 2017
Med - Oct 17/Nov 18 Passed
Sec Int - Sept 2018 - Passed Mar 2019
OITP - May 2019
Rigaud - July 2019

wannabecucumber2

Postby wannabecucumber2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 am

I encourage you folks to make a list of who is going to 14C (personal info. left out of course😉). You will have the opportunity to make some connections with fellow recruits during the online portion too. Congrats to everyone that got the invite.

It's positive Thursday😊