GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
hsinom

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 pm

trey1998 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 pm
Hello Everyone,

Without going into detail (as per non-disclosure) is the psych test/interview 'tough' in a sense? By that I mean is it meant to just determine if you're mentally sound? Personally I am sound of mind, no major or even minor psychological issues or things like that. Is it still possible to fail even knowing that going into it?

Thanks!
I think it's there to see if you're of sound mind to carry a firearm and capable to carry on your duty under stress so you don't loose it. In my experience doctors see the results differently. So just go with the flow and give your answers honestly.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:23 pm

During the push you do 6 180° arcs with the weight lifted and then release, where you'll do 4 controlled falls, and then into the pull for 6 180° arcs with the weight lifted.
Thanks!!!!! So I can take a “break” (1 sec) in between each push/pull!
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
:swords:

A North

Postby A North » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 pm

hsinom wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:51 pm
Has anyone emailed recruitment and not responded. I sent out my email on dec 21st.
Yup, I e-mailed them on December 4th and still don't have a response. :'(
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

A North

Postby A North » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:52 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm
So, word on the street for cbsa is. There is a hiring freeze ?
Hmm...could that be why I've been in the process for a year now and haven't had my interview yet??
CBSA

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:10 am

A North wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:52 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm
So, word on the street for cbsa is. There is a hiring freeze ?
Hmm...could that be why I've been in the process for a year now and haven't had my interview yet??
I doubt it, I think you got unlucky though. I have two friends who applied in Feb of 2019 and both are waiting for pysch results
CBSA
Applied - Sep 2018
OTEE - Sep 2018
Interview - Nov 2018
Pysch - Jan 2019
Pare - Jan 2019
Security papers sent - Feb 2019
Medical - March 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - Sep 2019
Online: Jan 2020
Rigaud: March 2020

trey1998
Rookie Member

Postby trey1998 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 am

hsinom wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 pm
trey1998 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Without going into detail (as per non-disclosure) is the psych test/interview 'tough' in a sense? By that I mean is it meant to just determine if you're mentally sound? Personally I am sound of mind, no major or even minor psychological issues or things like that. Is it still possible to fail even knowing that going into it?

Thanks!
I think it's there to see if you're of sound mind to carry a firearm and capable to carry on your duty under stress so you don't loose it. In my experience doctors see the results differently. So just go with the flow and give your answers honestly.
Thank you for the insight! Just gonna be myself when/if that day comes.
Applied: January 2019
OTEE: February 2019 (PASS)
Interview: December 2019 (PASS)

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:20 am

kittycat1024 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Hi all, for the PARE push/pull, is that I can release the weight for each round? I don’t have to pull / push the 32 kg weight in one breath?

Thanks!
You can release the weight only after you complete an arc (180°). If you drop it in the middle of doing an arc, you have to redo the arc.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep 18
OTEE: Oct 18 77.5%
Interview: Apr 19
PARE: Aug 19
Psych Eval: Oct 19
Psych Interview: Nov 19
Sec Doc sent: Jan 20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar 20
Med Eval: May 20
Sec Interview: TBD

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:35 am

A North wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 pm
hsinom wrote:
Has anyone emailed recruitment and not responded. I sent out my email on dec 21st.
I emailed them on Dec 27th and didn't get a response until I sent another one this monday. I mentioned that I sent them an email 2 weeks ago but have not gotten a response yet. They replied on the same day, lol.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep 18
OTEE: Oct 18 77.5%
Interview: Apr 19
PARE: Aug 19
Psych Eval: Oct 19
Psych Interview: Nov 19
Sec Doc sent: Jan 20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar 20
Med Eval: May 20
Sec Interview: TBD

hoss1920
Rookie Member

Postby hoss1920 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:31 am

trey1998 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
There is no prep for the psych test. You complete the multiple choice testing, a psychologist reviews your results, then you meet with a psychologist. They will chat with you for a bit and decide if you are suitable to work as a BSO. It is not testing to determine if you are mentally sound. It's a suitability test. Not a pass/fail or sane/insane.
Applied:   Aug 31 2018
OTEE:   Sept 9 2018
Interview:  Nov 15 2018
PARE: Jan 13 2019
Psych test:  Jan 14 2019
Psych interview:  Feb 1 2019
SLE : Aug 8 2019
Medical: Apr 24 2019
Security Interview:  June 8 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:05 am

Jumb34t wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:35 am
A North wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 pm
hsinom wrote:
I emailed them on Dec 27th and didn't get a response until I sent another one this monday. I mentioned that I sent them an email 2 weeks ago but have not gotten a response yet. They replied on the same day, lol.
Thanks sent another email.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:46 am

trey1998 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
I think it's a go with the flow thing and just be honest. Here's my opinion on it;

You could answer many questions where you can come off as passive and that doctor looking at the results could interpret you as one who can't make decisions, and fail.

You could answer many questions where you can come off as direct and another doctor looking at the results interprets you as rebellious or aggressive, and fail.

You could answer many questions where you come off as the second coming of Christ and another doctor looking at the results interprets you as a liar, and fail.

You could answer many questions where you're thinking one thing and they mean another, and fail. For instance, do you like little children? Maybe one thinks it's pertaining to background check of person to see if they are predatory in a sexual nature or it's simply a simple straight forward question where they want to know if you have prejudice against kids (ie. why don't you like little children or why are you thinking from a predatory state of mind). Fail, fail, depending on how the doctor is viewing this question.

One person told me (in a non law profession position) they had to do one for a job and he received questions like "Do you wish you were the opposite sex?"/"Do you hate your mom?"/"Do you love your mom".

You can't study for these. There's a reason why 75% (I think that was the stat) of people fail the test and that's due to so many factors out of your control.

Go in, rested with a clear mind, and just answer with your instincts because there will be a integrity interview after that may refer back to these questions and the last thing you want to do is be caught in a lie.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

A North

Postby A North » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:46 am
trey1998 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
I think it's a go with the flow thing and just be honest. Here's my opinion on it;

You could answer many questions where you can come off as passive and that doctor looking at the results could interpret you as one who can't make decisions, and fail.

You could answer many questions where you can come off as direct and another doctor looking at the results interprets you as rebellious or aggressive, and fail.

You could answer many questions where you come off as the second coming of Christ and another doctor looking at the results interprets you as a liar, and fail.

You could answer many questions where you're thinking one thing and they mean another, and fail. For instance, do you like little children? Maybe one thinks it's pertaining to background check of person to see if they are predatory in a sexual nature or it's simply a simple straight forward question where they want to know if you have prejudice against kids (ie. why don't you like little children or why are you thinking from a predatory state of mind). Fail, fail, depending on how the doctor is viewing this question.

One person told me (in a non law profession position) they had to do one for a job and he received questions like "Do you wish you were the opposite sex?"/"Do you hate your mom?"/"Do you love your mom".

You can't study for these. There's a reason why 75% (I think that was the stat) of people fail the test and that's due to so many factors out of your control.

Go in, rested with a clear mind, and just answer with your instincts because there will be a integrity interview after that may refer back to these questions and the last thing you want to do is be caught in a lie.
Touché! So your subjective opinion, I'm a guy with a half crim/half psych degree and through that I've learned about the disparities and risks for things such as suicidal ideas or depression within certain communities and how for men, social isolation is the primary correlation which is most affected by living alone or in a new place. Do you think as a dude with not many great social connections and minor, managed depression and social anxiety that the isolation factor could be a no go for passing the psych eval? Or is there nothing serious of concern there unless I answer in a way to indicate such.

Also, out of curiosity, are the psych exam and interview at the same time and place?
CBSA

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm

A North wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:13 pm
Suikoden wrote:
trey1998 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!

Touché! So your subjective opinion, I'm a guy with a half crim/half psych degree and through that I've learned about the disparities and risks for things such as suicidal ideas or depression within certain communities and how for men, social isolation is the primary correlation which is most affected by living alone or in a new place. Do you think as a dude with not many great social connections and minor, managed depression and social anxiety that the isolation factor could be a no go for passing the psych eval? Or is there nothing serious of concern there unless I answer in a way to indicate such.

Also, out of curiosity, are the psych exam and interview at the same time and place?
No one should answer you regarding passing psych eval as they are (guessing) not psychiatrists and even if someone was, it has zero bearing on this test.

As for not many connections, I have like two real friends and some acquaintances but I'm married and have extended family. I like living without a spotlight on me (especially that it gives me free time to myself!). One can say I'm a 'loner' with family but I'm not sad, depressed or have the feeling of loneliness (and I enjoy the company of wife and four dogs).

Interview and psyche exam are always separate. Worry about the interview instead of things out of your control (as psyche and onward really are out of your control, unless it's PARE).
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

avee905
Rookie Member

Postby avee905 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:16 pm

The theme is to just be yourself. Don't draw conclusions on your own. Best to leave that to the professionals. While I was disappointed with my personal outcome, I trust that the right decision was made. I have no reason to believe I can't do it, so will hopefully have another chance to prove it.
Applied - Aug. 2018
OTEE - Sept. 2018
Interview - February 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019
Psych: Oct. 2019
Psych Interview: Nov. 2019

A North

Postby A North » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm
A North wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:13 pm
Suikoden wrote:

No one should answer you regarding passing psych eval as they are (guessing) not psychiatrists and even if someone was, it has zero bearing on this test.

As for not many connections, I have like two real friends and some acquaintances but I'm married and have extended family. I like living without a spotlight on me (especially that it gives me free time to myself!). One can say I'm a 'loner' with family but I'm not sad, depressed or have the feeling of loneliness (and I enjoy the company of wife and four dogs).

Interview and psyche exam are always separate. Worry about the interview instead of things out of your control (as psyche and onward really are out of your control, unless it's PARE).
I might not have been clear, I meant the exam and the interview within the psych component, because you write a multiple choice exam as well as talk with a psychologist in person right? I was wondering if those are done on the same day or not.
CBSA