GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
kellylihomes

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kellylihomes » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:11 am

avee905 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:34 pm
Got the deferral notice :( #dreamshattered
Do not give up! You will make it eventually. Good luck in the future!
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

Mxylcpclic
Rookie Member

Postby Mxylcpclic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all, congratulations to the people moving along in the process; to those who got the bad news, I know it sounds repetitive at this point, but there ARE MORE OPPORTUNITIES for you out there and do keep a positive attitude. :D

I'd like to clarify something, hopefully someone can tell me something about it. By "hiring freeze", does it mean you can still get called to training in Rigaud but not have a job to apply for after graduation from Rigaud? Is that what that means? Or will they suspend training all together?

Honestly, I've always had the impression that once you get called to do training at Rigaud, you are guaranteed a job position after graduation.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
CBSA BC/PRA Applicant
Applied:Apr 2018
Post Secondary Requirement Met
Interview:Jul 2018
Security Papers:Aug 2018
Psych Evaluation:Sept 2018
Medical:Oct 2018
PARE:Jan 2019
Security Interview:May 2019
Security Clearance obtained:Jun 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Mxylcpclic wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Hello everyone,

First of all, congratulations to the people moving along in the process; to those who got the bad news, I know it sounds repetitive at this point, but there ARE MORE OPPORTUNITIES for you out there and do keep a positive attitude. :D

I'd like to clarify something, hopefully someone can tell me something about it. By "hiring freeze", does it mean you can still get called to training in Rigaud but not have a job to apply for after graduation from Rigaud? Is that what that means? Or will they suspend training all together?

Honestly, I've always had the impression that once you get called to do training at Rigaud, you are guaranteed a job position after graduation.

But is there a legitimate hiring freeze going on or is it just smoke and mirrors?

I find it hard to believe that they would have a hiring freeze when they have 5+ recruitment events going on from coast to coast from now until March 2020...

treeego
Rookie Member

Postby treeego » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Emak wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
hsinom wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:36 am
Emak wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:29 pm

No OITP email for me yet.... I know my psych is coming up to two years in Feb 2020. All other steps are fulfilled at this point. Not sure if I should bug recruitment about it....
I would email them to ask for a status update. It seems like a invite is imminent for you. I’m not sure how they pick but my guess Is likely March or April intakes for us hopefully . I wish they let us know sooner so I can plan accordingly.
Ditto!
Sent them an email today as well since my psych eval will be expiring in April. Hoping for some good news this new year!
CBSA
Applied - Jan 2017
Interview - April 2018
Pysch - May 2018
Pare - July 2018; June 2019
Security papers sent - May 2018
Medical - May 2018; May 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - June 2019
Online: FEB2020
Rigaud: APRIL2020

Mxylcpclic
Rookie Member

Postby Mxylcpclic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:25 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:09 pm
Mxylcpclic wrote:
Hello everyone,

But is there a legitimate hiring freeze going on or is it just smoke and mirrors?

I find it hard to believe that they would have a hiring freeze when they have 5+ recruitment events going on from coast to coast from now until March 2020...
I honestly do not know. It is not going to affect my decisions with my application or anything. I would still keep my application going with CBSA.

It just peaked my curiosity, when I saw someone here in the forum said something about how he/she was asking if there was a job position open because he/she just recently graduated from Rigaud and is excited to apply. This gave me the impression that once you graduate from Rigaud, you are not guaranteed a job position.

I honestly thought all this time that once you get called to training, it's because they have positions open for that amount of people already, hence, they need you trained for said positions.
CBSA BC/PRA Applicant
OITP:
Rigaud:

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Mxylcpclic wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:25 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Mxylcpclic wrote:
Hello everyone,

I honestly do not know. It is not going to affect my decisions with my application or anything. I would still keep my application going with CBSA.

It just peaked my curiosity, when I saw someone here in the forum said something about how he/she was asking if there was a job position open because he/she just recently graduated from Rigaud and is excited to apply. This gave me the impression that once you graduate from Rigaud, you are not guaranteed a job position.

I honestly thought all this time that once you get called to training, it's because they have positions open for that amount of people already, hence, they need you trained for said positions.
He graduated from high school or post secondary school, not Rigaud.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Stone. wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 pm
Mxylcpclic wrote:
neonlights97 wrote:

Yea, that`s the impression I got from that post. You get assigned for a location during Rigaud training so I think you are guaranteed a job after training.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep 18
OTEE: Oct 18 77.5%
Interview: Apr 19
PARE: Aug 19
Psych Eval: Oct 19
Psych Interview: Nov 19
Sec Doc sent: Jan 20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar 20
Med Eval: May 20
Sec Interview: TBD

Mxylcpclic
Rookie Member

Postby Mxylcpclic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Stone. wrote:
Mxylcpclic wrote:
neonlights97 wrote:

So silly of me, that absolutely makes sense. Scratch everything I said then. Thank you!
CBSA BC/PRA Applicant
OITP:
Rigaud:

Mxylcpclic
Rookie Member

Postby Mxylcpclic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:57 pm
Stone. wrote:
Mxylcpclic wrote:

Yea, that`s the impression I got from that post. You get assigned for a location during Rigaud training so I think you are guaranteed a job after training.
Scratch my concerns then, I stand corrected. I apologize for the confusion. Thank you!
CBSA BC/PRA Applicant
OITP:
Rigaud:

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:04 pm

treeego wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:10 pm
Emak wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
hsinom wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:36 am

I would email them to ask for a status update. It seems like a invite is imminent for you. I’m not sure how they pick but my guess Is likely March or April intakes for us hopefully . I wish they let us know sooner so I can plan accordingly.
Ditto!
Sent them an email today as well since my psych eval will be expiring in April. Hoping for some good news this new year!
Strange you've been waiting that long for a invite. Actually surprised. My medical is coming up for renewal in feb so not sure if I would make March intake.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

avee905
Rookie Member

Postby avee905 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am
avee905 wrote:
Oh no! I was hoping for us to pass this together since we pretty much did it together :cry:

On a positive note, like what Tornelco said, there's lots of opportunity out there. Also, if you ever apply for CBSA again, your OTEE will still be valid!
I know eh. It's such a bummer. 2 years is a tough pill to swallow. I'll be watching from the sidelines for now. Hope all goes well for your continued journey!!
Applied - Aug. 2018
OTEE - Sept. 2018
Interview - February 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019
Psych: Oct. 2019
Psych Interview: Nov. 2019

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Hi all, for the PARE push/pull, is that I can release the weight for each round? I don’t have to pull / push the 32 kg weight in one breath?

Thanks!
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
:swords:

JetMoto87
Rookie Member

Postby JetMoto87 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:02 pm

avee905 wrote:
Just wondering when you did your psych and what area? Sorry for the bad news.
CBSA Applicant

Applied: Jan 2019
Otee: March 2019 Passed
Interview: May 2019 Passed
Psych: Nov 2019 Passed
Background started: Jan 2020
Pare: Mar 2020 Passed
Medical: N/a
Security interview: N/a

Zepedder
Rookie Member

Postby Zepedder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:23 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Hi all, for the PARE push/pull, is that I can release the weight for each round? I don’t have to pull / push the 32 kg weight in one breath?

Thanks!
During the push you do 6 180° arcs with the weight lifted and then release, where you'll do 4 controlled falls, and then into the pull for 6 180° arcs with the weight lifted.
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Paperwork- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Interview- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

trey1998
Rookie Member

Postby trey1998 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

Without going into detail (as per non-disclosure) is the psych test/interview 'tough' in a sense? By that I mean is it meant to just determine if you're mentally sound? Personally I am sound of mind, no major or even minor psychological issues or things like that. Is it still possible to fail even knowing that going into it?

Thanks!
Applied: January 2019
OTEE: February 2019 (PASS)
Interview: December 2019 (PASS)