GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
manuel4140
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby manuel4140 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:06 pm

Anyone having issues with the online security form they require you to complete? When I add fam members, it does not accept their date of birth.. whereas in my personal info, I was able to select month/day/year from a drop down. Any suggestions? All 6 errors in my application is from adding Family members and not being able to enter the dates as mm/dd/yyyy.

Suikoden
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Suikoden » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Sparky87 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:00 pm
My first time through I failed the psych eval. I had my results sent to another psychologists who does the same test for another PD, and he said that without saying anything specific there’s no reason I should have failed the psych based on my results.

Fast forward 2 years and I apply again, I take the OTEE and near ace it with 10’s across the board except for one 9/10. After a long wait I finally get my interview, and it was the 19th of December. I knew before I left that I had failed, without breaking the NDA I missed one little piece of info in one of the scenarios and it threw me off for the whole situation. I just got my results at noon and of course I failed the interview because of that one scenario and now have to wait until the next application opens up.

A few questions are currently crossing my mind that I wanted to bounce off you guys.

Now as far as I can tell there currently isn’t one open, but does anyone have any info when the next one will be roughly?

At what point do you decide clearly I’m not meant to succeed here? I really want this as a career, I think I’d be really good in the position and can see myself lasting in it for a full career. I’m banking on this as my career path and trying to get out of the current career I have. I want to keep going but I’m not sure at what point I should just stop as it’s not progressing?

Any thoughts? Or advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
So the best advice I can give it just live your life as is. If you want it, you want it and you'll apply again when the time comes. Till then, you just live life as normal as you are now. Next time, maybe you get a fluke by getting sick and fail something because you're on T3s or something. Anything can happen and it's all unpredictable (I think). One just needs to look in these threads to see how many think they passed something only to find out they failed. In the end, you don't have anything to lose. It may be a life lesson in regards to controlling your emotions so you don't feel overwhelmed each time you apply becoming overly anxious and think "is this it?".

There is no progression in regards to becoming an officer of the law. You either make it or you don't make it.

Live life 'normally' and if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

JDube
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:06 am
Location: Eastern Townships
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JDube » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am

new2this wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm
I just recently completed both my non restricted and restricted firearms courses and just received the paperwork in the mail. I'm pretty sure I don't need to send it in for the PAL? Do I just hold on to it? I've already done my interview so just not sure if there is something I need to submit or send away?
While you do not NEED the license. My personnal suggestion to everyone that is going to have a pistol as a work tool is to get your RPAL. Buy a pistol, and train shooting yes, but mostly train in the safe handling of a firearm.

I understand that those selected will get a full training at Rigaud. Proficiency won't stick with you with a once a year certification...
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

Greg1881
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Greg1881 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

manuel4140 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:06 pm
Anyone having issues with the online security form they require you to complete? When I add fam members, it does not accept their date of birth.. whereas in my personal info, I was able to select month/day/year from a drop down. Any suggestions? All 6 errors in my application is from adding Family members and not being able to enter the dates as mm/dd/yyyy.
I was having the same error. I tried every date format I could think of and finally got it to work with yyyy-mm-dd.

Greg1881
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Greg1881 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am

I have a question about the security clearance questionnaire. When I'm filling it out, it only goes as far as Employment Information then it skips right to all the consent form check boxes. Then it has the signature box and "send" but when I look at the instructions it shows that there should be sections for Travel, Education, and References. Has anyone else had an issue with these sections not showing up?

CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sept 2018
OTEE: Oct 2018 - Pass
Interview: Feb 2019 Pass
PARE: Mar 2019 Pass
Psych Eval: Oct 2019 Pass
Psych Interview: Nov 2019 Pass
Med Eval: TBD
Sec Clearance: TBD

IronWolf
Veteran Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 am

Greg1881 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am
I have a question about the security clearance questionnaire. When I'm filling it out, it only goes as far as Employment Information then it skips right to all the consent form check boxes. Then it has the signature box and "send" but when I look at the instructions it shows that there should be sections for Travel, Education, and References. Has anyone else had an issue with these sections not showing up?

CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sept 2018
OTEE: Oct 2018 - Pass
Interview: Feb 2019 Pass
PARE: Mar 2019 Pass
Psych Eval: Oct 2019 Pass
Psych Interview: Nov 2019 Pass
Med Eval: TBD
Sec Clearance: TBD
I don't recall filling in travel, education and references in the form. Maybe that's the new form format. Or maybe it's because of some previous selections in the form.

I say make sure you use the right browser type, then fill in whatever is possible, send it ONCE and wait the security analyst to contact you in case anything is missing. They will email you to ask for any missing info.

But the three things you mentioned above, I don't recall filling these in either and was never asked additionally for them as part of that stage. I got my clearance granted.

Sparky87
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Sparky87 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:29 pm

hsinom wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:24 pm
Sparky87 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:00 pm
My first time through I failed the psych eval. I had my results sent to another psychologists who does the same test for another PD, and he said that without saying anything specific there’s no reason I should have failed the psych based on my results.

Fast forward 2 years and I apply again, I take the OTEE and near ace it with 10’s across the board except for one 9/10. After a long wait I finally get my interview, and it was the 19th of December. I knew before I left that I had failed, without breaking the NDA I missed one little piece of info in one of the scenarios and it threw me off for the whole situation. I just got my results at noon and of course I failed the interview because of that one scenario and now have to wait until the next application opens up.

A few questions are currently crossing my mind that I wanted to bounce off you guys.

Now as far as I can tell there currently isn’t one open, but does anyone have any info when the next one will be roughly?

At what point do you decide clearly I’m not meant to succeed here? I really want this as a career, I think I’d be really good in the position and can see myself lasting in it for a full career. I’m banking on this as my career path and trying to get out of the current career I have. I want to keep going but I’m not sure at what point I should just stop as it’s not progressing?

Any thoughts? Or advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
I've been trying since years with different agencies. I'll leave this video for you to watch if you'd like but the rest is all you- https://youtu.be/9igSh9IwMAc
Thank you for this video! I watched it and it definitely puts things into perspective. I’ve hesrd Steve Harvey’s story before but just like read about it online, I never watched him talk about it and get emotional telling his story. If it’s something you want then keep pushing for it. You’ll never get it if you give up. Thanks again!
CBSA GTA Applicant
Applied: November 2016
Written Tests: Written 09/11/17 - Passed 10/04/17
Interview: 11/16/17 - Passed 11/29/17
Psych: Scheduled 12/2/17 - FAILED 12/19/17
Security: 11/29/17 - cancelled due to psych fail

Reapplied January 10 2019

User avatar
elwoodpdowd
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:09 am

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby elwoodpdowd » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:03 pm

JDube wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am
new2this wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm
I just recently completed both my non restricted and restricted firearms courses and just received the paperwork in the mail. I'm pretty sure I don't need to send it in for the PAL? Do I just hold on to it? I've already done my interview so just not sure if there is something I need to submit or send away?
While you do not NEED the license. My personnal suggestion to everyone that is going to have a pistol as a work tool is to get your RPAL. Buy a pistol, and train shooting yes, but mostly train in the safe handling of a firearm.

I understand that those selected will get a full training at Rigaud. Proficiency won't stick with you with a once a year certification...
Get your RPAL if you wish but do not attempt to get bad habits in handgun handling and shooting methods before you get to Rigaud. Don't put the cart before the horse, let the instructors train you as they really like a clean slate when it comes to the firing line. Bad habits can lead to frustration and could doom a recruit to failure.
"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

new2this
Rookie Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:20 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby new2this » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:57 pm

I was actually going to ask the same thing. I somewhat struggled with the courses (had never even seen a gun before the class). Was wondering if it would be advantageous to practice as much as possible while waiting for my security clearance to get more comfortable? Or better to just leave it alone till
(hopefully) getting to Rigaud? Are most others at the very beginners stage at the the start of training?

User avatar
Tornelco
Rookie Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Tornelco » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm

new2this wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:57 pm
I was actually going to ask the same thing. I somewhat struggled with the courses (had never even seen a gun before the class). Was wondering if it would be advantageous to practice as much as possible while waiting for my security clearance to get more comfortable? Or better to just leave it alone till
(hopefully) getting to Rigaud? Are most others at the very beginners stage at the the start of training?
Dave Brown is pretty passionate about this topic, He can give you a good answer!

In summary, you'll graduate Rigaud with adequate firearm skills regardless of your initial skill level

samw9
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby samw9 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 pm

I received an email today from recruitment letting me know I have to complete my PARE by Feb 11th if I want to make spring intake. My PARE is scheduled for Jan 18th and I have passed a practice test so I am not concerned about passing but does anyone have any insight on what month or months is spring intake? It sounds like March intake is already full so maybe April or May?

IronWolf
Veteran Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:25 am

samw9 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 pm
I received an email today from recruitment letting me know I have to complete my PARE by Feb 11th if I want to make spring intake. My PARE is scheduled for Jan 18th and I have passed a practice test so I am not concerned about passing but does anyone have any insight on what month or months is spring intake? It sounds like March intake is already full so maybe April or May?
"Spring 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Thursday, March 19
and ends on
Saturday, June 20
"

ktddad
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ktddad » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:12 pm

JGR1991 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:37 pm
Just a question for those in the January intake, was there any mention of boot purchase prior to heading to Rigaud? As far as I’m aware there’s an annual allowance for boots (somewhere around $225-$250) I’m just curious if they give you instructions/list and if your suppose to arrive with your own boots ready to accept the allowance. I’m not heading to Rigaud until March but starting to make purchases along the way instead of all at once in the last week or two. Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm in January intake and I have to get my boots before arrival. The allowance is $225 + tax and its reimbused in college
Applied: April 2018
Pare: May 2018
Interview: June 2018
Psych: July 2018
Clearance: Sept 2018
Medical: April 2019
Online OITP: June 2019, Nov 25 2019
OITP: 15a Jan 13 2020

ShakeyShakey
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ShakeyShakey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Greg1881 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am
I have a question about the security clearance questionnaire. When I'm filling it out, it only goes as far as Employment Information then it skips right to all the consent form check boxes. Then it has the signature box and "send" but when I look at the instructions it shows that there should be sections for Travel, Education, and References. Has anyone else had an issue with these sections not showing up?

CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sept 2018
OTEE: Oct 2018 - Pass
Interview: Feb 2019 Pass
PARE: Mar 2019 Pass
Psych Eval: Oct 2019 Pass
Psych Interview: Nov 2019 Pass
Med Eval: TBD
Sec Clearance: TBD
Travel (less than 6 months), Education and References are not required for a Secret or Level II security clearance. The three are required for a Top Secret or Level III clearance. If you selected TS from the security level drop down those fields will appear. A secret clearance is the standard level for applicants. See form 330-60 for this explanation.

hsinom
Regular Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Has anyone emailed recruitment and not responded. I sent out my email on dec 21st.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dominicL, JohnnyQ, SemrushBot and 5 guests