GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
oceanblue11
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby oceanblue11 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Is it true that they’re making the PARE easier in Rigaud? Someone at my test said that they knew someone who was at Rigaud and they said that they’re testing out an easier version that will be used for everyone in the future but I haven’t heard anyone else mention it since then...

Also for GTA applicants I would personally recommend doing it in Hamilton over Brampton. I did mine in Hamilton and the testers seemed a lot more helpful and the room had decent fans and treadmills/bikes you can use to warm up a bit with while you wait. Then when I went with a friend to Brampton it was really warm/dry in the gym and the testers seemed impatient and didn’t seem to encourage people who were running out of time. And you have to just sit and wait for your turn. They only do tape for the mat jump in Brampton and they use a real mat in Hamilton. I think having the physical mat helps more, I saw way less penalties in Hamilton anyway. Also a friend of my mine did it in Ottawa and said that they don’t do practice laps there they just start the test after letting you try out the push/pull. But both Hamilton and Brampton do a full timed practice lap. Anyway I just thought I’d give some insight on some of the test centres for people booking theirs next year!

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 pm

oceanblue11 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:55 pm
Is it true that they’re making the PARE easier in Rigaud? Someone at my test said that they knew someone who was at Rigaud and they said that they’re testing out an easier version that will be used for everyone in the future but I haven’t heard anyone else mention it since then...
I dont know about making it easier necessarily. I will say that if you fail it while you're there it has no bearing on your success. They use your first Rigaud Pare time and compare it to your second time to try to measure improvement. That's the only thing they use it for.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Mikedan4444
Rookie Member

Postby Mikedan4444 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 am
Mikedan4444 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pm
hsinom wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:25 pm

This may have been asked. How many people leave or don't finish training?
That's a hard question to answer. I belive to no class has made it all the way through with everyone.. some classes lose 1 or 2 some lose 5 or more, it depends on the person this job is not for everyone. If you get there all I can say is study and practice every day
I think it was a class in 2018 that made it through with their full numbers. It doesn't happen often, obviously if that's the only one I can recall being told about. Our class lost three. Another lost three or four, the others each lost one.

Seems like (with our wave anyway) the losses in numbers were code of conduct related or personal/medical. The only two that were lost for academics were in one class.

The help is offered, and you are extremely well guided. Most people that make it to Rigaud want it pretty bad. Granted there are always a few that somehow manage to slip through the cracks, which is annoying to watch when you're the dedicated one, but it's fine.

It's a stressful environment, but you do get your own time. If you're good at time management, you will be fine. The most stressful parts are being away from home and knowing that you're doing all of this for one career and that there's a lot riding on it.
see ours was the opposite, of the 16 that went home it was all academic, some in primary, secondary and even use of force.. you could be right i just remember our instructors saying no class had gone 18 for 18
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

Mikedan4444
Rookie Member

Postby Mikedan4444 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:44 pm

oceanblue11 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Also for GTA applicants I would personally recommend doing it in Hamilton over Brampton. I did mine in Hamilton and the testers seemed a lot more helpful and the room had decent fans and treadmills/bikes you can use to warm up a bit with while you wait. Then when I went with a friend to Brampton it was really warm/dry in the gym and the testers seemed impatient and didn’t seem to encourage people who were running out of time. And you have to just sit and wait for your turn. They only do tape for the mat jump in Brampton and they use a real mat in Hamilton. I think having the physical mat helps more, I saw way less penalties in Hamilton anyway. Also a friend of my mine did it in Ottawa and said that they don’t do practice laps there they just start the test after letting you try out the push/pull. But both Hamilton and Brampton do a full timed practice lap. Anyway I just thought I’d give some insight on some of the test centres for people booking theirs next year!
it is different, but not easier but has no affect on your status.

BSO

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi all,
Not sure it has been asked yet....
How useful is it to watch the Border Security: Canada's Front Line show?
Is it still relevant since it aired 2012-2014? I would presume the foundations would still be generally the same. Just thought about this show as I wait for an invite. FYI Global airs them on Sunday evenings but you can find the shows on youtube also.
Wish you all that are in and training a very successful New Year and for those of us who are waiting may 2020 be our year! :thumbsup:
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/20 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/2020 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

avee905
Rookie Member

Postby avee905 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am
IronWolf wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:40 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:09 am

If you've never done one before, pace yourself. 30 second laps still gives you almost two minutes for the push pull. That's not much time, but if you've conserved a lot of energy you'll be fine. My average was 32 seconds per lap (I was definitely not in shape for that) and managed to pass just because I used less energy in the obstacle course. Im not a physical trainer, so I don't claim these tips to be of any actual value, but from my own experiences, the people that get over excited and shoot off the starting line like a bat out of hell tend to be very obvious when they're gassed. Just take your time. You are fortunate that where you're earlier on in the process, if something goes wrong you have time to do it again if need be.
I can say that same method worked fine for me too : course laps between 25-30 seconds each, then the push pull and I passed. You see the times at each lap, so you know how are you progressing.

Thanks to Zedlinka again and from me for keeping the spirit of people up and providing valuable info as always !
Also, listen to the instructor, they guide you through the obstacle course very well. Whether you need to slow down or speed up, or which way to go (a lot still mess this up despite doing trial run before the actual thing). They even tell you how long your laps are as you go through them.
Where did you do your PARE? I'm still waiting for my psych results. Not a good sign lol :(
Applied - Aug. 2018
OTEE - Sept. 2018
Interview - February 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019
Psych: Oct. 2019
Psych Interview: Nov. 2019

Stripes
Rookie Member

Postby Stripes » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 am

Emak wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm
Hi all,
Is it still relevant since it aired 2012-2014? I would presume the foundations would still be generally the same. Just thought about this show as I wait for an invite. FYI Global airs them on Sunday evenings but you can find the shows on youtube also.
Wish you all that are in and training a very successful New Year and for those of us who are waiting may 2020 be our year! :thumbsup:
Not sure if you’re serious. It is a TV show that is aired to entertain and get ratings. It is well edited and not a great reflection of reality. Do not base any expectations you may have about the profession on a TV show.

With that said, there were some tremendous Officers that were part of the show that are good examples of how to deal with people. There were also some less stellar examples and Officers who read the wrong version of people’s rights (American Miranda vs. Canadian Charter).

Enjoy the show, but remember it’s a TV show.
V Division

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:06 am

avee905 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 pm
Jumb34t wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am
IronWolf wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:40 am

I can say that same method worked fine for me too : course laps between 25-30 seconds each, then the push pull and I passed. You see the times at each lap, so you know how are you progressing.

Thanks to Zedlinka again and from me for keeping the spirit of people up and providing valuable info as always !
Also, listen to the instructor, they guide you through the obstacle course very well. Whether you need to slow down or speed up, or which way to go (a lot still mess this up despite doing trial run before the actual thing). They even tell you how long your laps are as you go through them.
Where did you do your PARE? I'm still waiting for my psych results. Not a good sign lol :(
Did my PARE in Brampton, Sheridan College. I wouldn't say it's not a good sign. Getting your result late doesn't mean you're not going to be successful. Remember, no news is good news :D Let's hope for the best!
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep 18
OTEE: Oct 18 77.5%
Interview: Apr 19
PARE: Aug 19
Psych Eval: Oct 19
Psych Interview: Nov 19
Sec Doc sent: Jan 20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar 20
Med Eval: May 20
Sec Interview: TBD

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:00 am

Emak wrote:
Hi all,
It is good in the sense that it'll show you what can happen. But it is inaccurate because they are on location filming for awhile before they get anything good enough to air. So you're sort of conned into believing that the job is all guns, drugs, and bad people when realistically most of your job is collecting taxes and dealing with regular travellers. But you can't put that on TV. It'd be pretty boring.
The officers involved are fantastic, and a few of them have been or are currently instructors, too, which is cool. But I would be very careful in what you take from that show. Seeing all of what they do prior to learning it could be extremely confusing, too.

And, as mentioned, it is a TV show. Ratings and entertainment are the key objectives.

BSO

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:12 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:00 am
Emak wrote:
Hi all,
It is good in the sense that it'll show you what can happen. But it is inaccurate because they are on location filming for awhile before they get anything good enough to air. So you're sort of conned into believing that the job is all guns, drugs, and bad people when realistically most of your job is collecting taxes and dealing with regular travellers. But you can't put that on TV. It'd be pretty boring.
The officers involved are fantastic, and a few of them have been or are currently instructors, too, which is cool. But I would be very careful in what you take from that show. Seeing all of what they do prior to learning it could be extremely confusing, too.

And, as mentioned, it is a TV show. Ratings and entertainment are the key objectives.
Points well taken Stripes and Zedlinka!
Have a Happy New Year.
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 02/20 ✔
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 03/2020 ✔
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

waiting001
Rookie Member

Postby waiting001 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 am

Can someone who recently graduated from Rigaud confirm whether the new ceremonial uniforms are now provided as appose to the previous ones on graduation ceremony ?
Interview: 09/2017
Psych Assessment: 10/2017 + 12/2019
Medical: 11/2017 + 05/2019
Sec Docs Submitted: 11/2017
PARE: 11/2017 + 10/2019
Sec Interview: 09/2019
Sec Clearance Granted: 10/2019
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am

waiting001 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 am
Can someone who recently graduated from Rigaud confirm whether the new ceremonial uniforms are now provided as appose to the previous ones on graduation ceremony ?
I heard that's supposed to take effect with the coming intakes. Whoever starts January 13th should be able to answer that for you for sure within their first few days as they should be fitted day one.

They just started to roll them out for officers this year. My understanding is that effective 2020 new recruits were to be issued them.

BSO

waiting001
Rookie Member

Postby waiting001 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am
waiting001 wrote:
I heard that's supposed to take effect with the coming intakes. Whoever starts January 13th should be able to answer that for you for sure within their first few days as they should be fitted day one.

They just started to roll them out for officers this year. My understanding is that effective 2020 new recruits were to be issued them.
Thanks Zedlinka.

Are you able to shed some light on what to expect from 4 weeks of OITP ? Is it a lot of theory / assessments / group activities etc ? can you please also confirm, people who were exempt from taking the GCT/WCPT testing or OTEE, is there some type of essay writing you will have to do as part of OITP ?
Interview: 09/2017
Psych Assessment: 10/2017 + 12/2019
Medical: 11/2017 + 05/2019
Sec Docs Submitted: 11/2017
PARE: 11/2017 + 10/2019
Sec Interview: 09/2019
Sec Clearance Granted: 10/2019
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:39 am

waiting001 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 am
Zedlinka wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am
waiting001 wrote:

Thanks Zedlinka.

Are you able to shed some light on what to expect from 4 weeks of OITP ? Is it a lot of theory / assessments / group activities etc ? can you please also confirm, people who were exempt from taking the GCT/WCPT testing or OTEE, is there some type of essay writing you will have to do as part of OITP ?

Combination of things for the four weeks. Theory, general knowledge, basic introductions to get you "warmed up" for Rigaud. Quizzes at the end of all the modules. A bit of group activity, but not much.

I was exempt, and did have to write the essay. Forgive me, as I don't recall much about it unfortunately. It wasn't that difficult if it don't remember much.

BSO

new2this
Rookie Member

Postby new2this » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm

I just recently completed both my non restricted and restricted firearms courses and just received the paperwork in the mail. I'm pretty sure I don't need to send it in for the PAL? Do I just hold on to it? I've already done my interview so just not sure if there is something I need to submit or send away?